On Dongles

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
matthew_lane said:
maddawg IAJI said:
There is no need to make shit up. Most conventions have stopped hiring booth babes now for this very reason and some people still haven't learned.
Its not a convention, its a night club.
Somehow I get the feeling you've never actually gone to GDC for the purpose of networking/finding a job, much less a GDC-sponsored event. It's a very small industry, and networking plays a huge part in your success in it. For many people, these events can be the most important of their trip and they are very much still a professional setting.

Jesus Christ, this thread. D:

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
matthew_lane said:
Becuase they did not co-sponsor the convention, because thats not how a convention works. A convention is a business, it requires all the legal & tax paper work any business does... There is no co-sponsoring. What they did was generated content for the convention.

It was a party mate (one that was open to the public), everything they did was suitable not only for the purpose of a party, but also for the location of a party (a nightclub).
So according to you, they're not sponsoring the event despite the fact they hired the group to host the party, they had the name of their organization printed on the walls (In a similar manner that Home Depot sponsors Nascar drivers) and they had to approve the dancers and other plans that we're suggested for the party. Lets look at the definition for the word "Sponsor" shall we.

Sponsor (noun)Definition 5) One that finances a project or an event carried out by another person or group, especially a business enterprise that pays for radio or television programming in return for advertising time.

Oh and IGDA claims responsibility as having sponsored the event.
matthew_lane said:
If you don't like fun abandon thats cool, but you can't shit all over the people that do.
Oh, I have no problem with fun and abandon, I understand it was a public party that was hosted aT a nightclub, but as I said earlier, those events are not for actual partying. The after party is for networking and for promoting a casual business environment. You don't get to party with industry heads and influencial people within the market often, so you go to these parties to make an impression.

matthew_lane said:
Mate, spoke models are selling the idea of fun & thats exactly what they did. Working at a night club is nothing like working in an office & i am telling you that as someone who has worked in both.
And I take it that during your time working in the office you've never attended a convention for work or you don't work in a field where advancement is based heavily on who you know. Look at the image of the dancers in the forbes magazine linked earlier, notice how no one is actually looking at the girls except the person taking the picture? That's because they're taking advantage of their time. Also, please, pick an argument and defend it. Don't jump from, "The IGDA had nothing to do with it" to "Its just a party, you need to relax."

matthew_lane said:
No, its inappropriate if you work in a covent, or you teach primary school kids, but for a night club its completely adequate.
Not a night club party, a office sponsored event. I've never heard of a female teacher coming to our parties dressed in a mini-skirt or furry boots and yes, we have hosted them at night clubs before as well.
matthew_lane said:
I mean by your logic all life guards can't wear a swimming costume because "THAT SHIT IS COMPLETELY UNFIT FOR A PROFESSIONAL WORKPLACE!"
Life-guarding isn't a white-collar job, its an emergency service job. Its a uniform that fits toward the job.

matthew_lane said:
Its not a convention, its a night club.
Sponsored by a convention that had just recently preached the need for women to be shown in a better light among Developers.

Snooder

May 12, 2008
Honestly, at this point it seems like the debate is really around whether an after-party at a convention should be considered part of the convention itself, and thus subject to the standards of professional decorum and attire, or considered a separate event.

Personally, I see it a separate event. And in light of that, the behavior and dress was appropriate for that party. In any other setting or with any other attendees, it wouldn't be considered sexist, it would just be a party. If you are going to have a party, and you are ok with it being a party, it's kind of odd to complain that the party is too partyish.

The question that really needs to be asked is "Do these sorts of large elaborate after-parties belong in an industry that is trying to portray itself as more mature." There's a reasonable discussion to be had there and it seems like there is a real disagreement about that. On the other hand, phrasing the objection as "This industry wants to appeal to women so having large after-parties like this is sexist" while admitting that it would be perfectly ok as a normal party is not quite as reasonable.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Knight Templar said:
matthew_lane said:
So if IGDA did not co-sponsor/co-present/co-whatever the event, why does the IGDA say they co-sponsored the event?
And why does YetiZen say they required the approval of the IGDA?

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Legion said:
On a side-note, I think I may be in love with this person. She has summed up beautifully what I often try and say, but ten times better than I could ever have put it.
Interesting article thanks for the link.

I think it highlights the danger of the expression of extreme views on this issue. It tends to polarise and alienate.

#1ReasonWhy...some of those tweets were just bloody depressing though.

I stopped reading them after a bit it was just getting me down.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Uhura said:
This is some serious Eyes Wide Shut shit. I find this highly disturbing, less so about the fact that there are dancing girls at a game convention and more so about the fact that they thought rabbit gas-masks would be the way to go. What the hell were they thinking?

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Do4600 said:
Uhura said:
This is some serious Eyes Wide Shut shit. I find this highly disturbing, less so about the fact that there are dancing girls at a game convention and more so about the fact that they thought rabbit gas-masks would be the way to go. What the hell were they thinking?
It wasnt a GDC party, it was a wargaming party that happened to be around the time of GDC.

And as for the gas masks, again, Wargaming, World war 2 stuff, with a bit of modern flair
looks like an awesome party to me! figures this was blown out of proportion again.:/

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Legion said:
Aramis Night said:
If you people think that what these women were wearing was all that risque, you must go to some pretty tame nightclubs. I've been to clubs where they have women running around in nothing but tape and candlewax and they aren't even paid. And the private after parties typically feature nudity. It's not really my thing to be honest, i prefer women with a little more class myself but that is rare where i live.
The issue isn't so much the clothing (for most people), but that they were hired dancers. It's the perceived message/intention behind it that is making people unhappy. I'd hope nobody would be so childish to take issue if the women were just guests like everybody else.

On a side-note, I think I may be in love with this person. She has summed up beautifully what I often try and say, but ten times better than I could ever have put it.

Chemical Alia said:
Jesus Christ, this thread. D:
To be honest, I was expecting it like this the moment I saw the comic. It was inevitable, as we are yet to have a discussion on sexism without it devolving into both "sides" flinging insults at each other.

Which is another reason I love the article I linked above.
I too loved it thank you. It actually makes me feel good that there are women out there that dont just see it all with such negativity and are fighting against it whilst journalists and there ilk blindly shovel it in our faces. This shitty brand of female empowerment that there trying to sell us instead of true equality in the industry.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Aramis Night said:
If you people think that what these women were wearing was all that risque, you must go to some pretty tame nightclubs. I've been to clubs where they have women running around in nothing but tape and candlewax and they aren't even paid. And the private after parties typically feature nudity. It's not really my thing to be honest, i prefer women with a little more class myself but that is rare where i live.
I think the topic being discussed isn't so much HOW hardcore the nightclubs you frequent are so much as not even slightly about that at all! I think they were talking about strippers being used as a cheap method of advertising the product at a games convention rather than their rightful place at a club, the repercussions of which is a perpetuation of gaming as a singularly male hobby.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Mr Companion said:
Aramis Night said:
I think the topic being discussed isn't so much HOW hardcore the nightclubs you frequent are so much as not even slightly about that at all! I think they were talking about strippers being used as a cheap method of advertising the product at a games convention rather than their rightful place at a club, the repercussions of which is a perpetuation of gaming as a singularly male hobby.
Wait, so adding females to the event and even paying them to be there = keeping women out of gaming conventions? I'm so confused. Sounds to me like going to great lengths to get women into gaming conventions. I thought that was what everyone wanted.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Aramis Night said:
Mr Companion said:
Aramis Night said:
Wait, so adding females to the event and even paying them to be there = keeping women out of gaming conventions? I'm so confused. Sounds to me like going to great lengths to get women into gaming conventions. I thought that was what everyone wanted.
I am going to assume you are not joking (if you are its actually quite funny :D)
Hiring people to go to something as eye candy is not the same thing. These ladies and "Booth Babes" have no interest in gaming and they are hired to attract sexually frustrated male teens to these events. A heterosexual woman trying to attend these events would feel alienated. Its like how a guy feels weird watching Twilight.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Mr Companion said:
Aramis Night said:
Mr Companion said:
Aramis Night said:
I am going to assume you are not joking (if you are its actually quite funny :D)
Hiring people to go to something as eye candy is not the same thing. These ladies and "Booth Babes" have no interest in gaming and they are hired to attract sexually frustrated male teens to these events. A heterosexual woman trying to attend these events would feel alienated. Its like how a guy feels weird watching Twilight.
Watching twilight is supposed to feel weird? I've been doing it all wrong then. All i feel is contempt. Even so, while i may complain about other people's lack of standards i wouldn't feel entitled to banning people from watching it. Personally i prefer to see that as just an indicator of an easily entertained dolt, and act accordingly around them. Maybe start with finger puppets, move onto sock puppets if i'm feeling charitable. Perhaps throw them a pop up book or a ball in a cup when i no longer feel like entertaining them myself.