On Endings

oranger

May 27, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
(Excerpt from the article. Naturally.)

Reminds me heavily of Deus Ex's ending(s). Proof that Warren Spector actually did know what the hell he was doing.
Warren Spector didn't write them, did he? I heard he designed the game, and hadn't written it.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Also, yahtzee here is bumping against a big point without really addressing it:
Who the fuck gives away their best work for a multimillion dollar earning project,
while being paid 40 k a year? Nobody. They clock in, repeat the prescribed techniques and go home.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
imnotparanoid said:
Two words
Halo Reach.
Oh I forgot you hate Halo.
Well play it anyway!
Halo 3 actually has one of the best endings I've ever seen in a video game.

"Wake me when you need me."

The legendary hero, sleeping until the day he is needed again. Very King Arthur-ish. It also bookends the beginning of the first game nicely.

Buckett

Jul 7, 2010
I kind of get what the ending of AC2 was trying to do. It was supposed to provide some sort of bridge between the time you spent as Ezio and the future with Desmond. So presumably you'll play as Desmond in AC3. But it doesn't make the ending any less infuriating. I just don't see how stabbing a bunch of Templars is going to restore Earths magnetic field or whatever the fuck it was. Is the universe going to be happy once you've met a certain stabbing quota and save the world.

Bottom line: fuck you AC2 ending. good game, shitty ending

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
imnotparanoid said:
Two words
Halo Reach.
Well play it anyway!
Halo 3 actually has one of the best endings I've ever seen in a video game.

"Wake me when you need me."

The legendary hero, sleeping until the day he is needed again. Very King Arthur-ish. It also bookends the beginning of the first game nicely.
Oh I agree, but Reaches was just so sad and stuff, I was deppressed.
(admitedly only for a few miuites but I am bloody hard to depress)

Jack Bz

Jul 16, 2010
The Bioshock 2 DLC "Minerva's Den" had one of the best game endings I've experienced in a good while, so I'd recommend that if you haven't played it already. It's better than the main game itself.

And Final Fantasy games, however sometimes agonizing, usually have really good endings (I'm thinking 10 in particular, for me at least).

Buckett

Jul 7, 2010
AC2 had a shitty ending that tried to connect the time you spent as Ezio to Desmond and the future. I get that they had to somehow tie everything to Desmond, but how did that shit make any sense and left me pissed off. The game was good but the ending left me staring at the screen for an hour thinking "really, thats how you want to go out?" Seriously though, how is Desmond supposed to solve this problem. How can he and his scientist buddies restore Earths magnetic field or whatever it was? No amount of stabbing Templars in cool ways is going to fix that (unless the universe had a specific stabbing quota that Desmond must meet before it decides not to destroy the planet).

Bottom line: great game, terrible ending. How the hell are they gonna pull AC3 off?

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
oranger said:
Who the fuck gives away their best work for a multimillion dollar earning project,
while being paid 40 k a year?
Somebody who hopes that penning a really good story will help them make it big. Writers, in general, do not make a lot of money. Writing is a lot like acting: tons of people want to do it, and are willing to work a day job while they try to make it. Most of them will never be able to make a living off of it. The ones who do know that there is a horde of people willing to take their spot if they don't work hard enough to keep it.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Yea endings are important to the story, but, in my opinion, the story isn't all that important to the game. Most people play games to have fun and.....play a game. When's the last time you turned on a game and said "Oh my god I can't wait to find out what happened to so and so at the thingy majig?" (I don't think I've ever had such a reason to start playing) Even in games that have amazing stories start to finish, the story is second to the gameplay. I'd much rather have an insanely epic and challengeing final boss fight followed by credits and a game over screen than a nice neat literary ending.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
oranger said:
Atmos Duality said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
(Excerpt from the article. Naturally.)

Reminds me heavily of Deus Ex's ending(s). Proof that Warren Spector actually did know what the hell he was doing.
Warren Spector didn't write them, did he? I heard he designed the game, and hadn't written it.
I'm pretty sure he had at least some say in the endings, seeing how each one revolves around taking divergent actions in game.
And my correlation still stands with or without Warren Spector.

sig_mid

Mar 15, 2010
A great example of mediocre games with good endings is PoP, Warrior Within... if you don't get all the weapon upgrades you kill the Empress (the original, mildly evil goal) and you're OK. If you get the final sword, you can be the nice guy and kill the demon that's been hunting you the whole game. Both are good endings, in spite of the game's other faults

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Only got to read the Singularity bit, but while the endings were interesting, I'm not sure I feel they were well done. What dulled their effectiveness for me was that three such wildly different conclusions come about from ONE decision made in the closing minutes of the game. It's not like Fallout or even Marvel Ultimate Alliance, where it's the choices you make throughout the game that determine the ending.

It's just strange to see "moral" endings in a game where there are no moral choices to be made until the very end. You can't really play the game as a nice guy or a jerk. All your missions are the same, and you don't get to deviate to help the old lady cross the street or drive over her. So the endings are cinematic, about some character who isn't "you"; you don't feel like you've really influenced or "deserved" the ending you got, aside from that one big decision at the end.

No doubt this wasn't the first game to do this, and I'm sure I've even played other games where this happened, but Singularity is the most recent, and the only one I can recall right now.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Two words
Halo Reach.
Well play it anyway!
I have a feeling he's going to be reviewing that game soon. And he's probably going to despise it.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Good article. Shame about the ending. ;)

I can think of another mediocre game that nonetheless had a good ending: Half-Life 2. Eat that, Yahtzee.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I find that another contributor to "the satisfying ending" is the coolness factor. For example, Onimusha: Warlords had a fantastic ending, especially for its time, and it isn't because of its engrossing story finally reaching a conclusion. In fact, the story was not engrossing. It was essentially Super Mario in feudal Japan. Granted, it wasn't bad by any stretch, but it wasn't all that memorable. The ending was so great because it was so damned cool.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Hallowed Lady said:
Well, the endings in the Oddworld series were pretty good, with bad endings that were a little lacking but darkly funny and realy ones with humour and a lighter note.
"Is the water... free?"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I often feel these days that alot of games go for the "TO BE CONTINUED" more often than they should...I know they want to build a francise, but, no closure = no fun