On Time Travel

Jack Bz

Jul 16, 2010
Majora's Mask is the only Zelda game I loved, because it was different. I think it's a really amazing starting point for a mechanic that was never improved upon (not that I've really searched, I could very easily be wrong). I'd love to see it done amazingly intricately with like, 20 days, on a whole world, that you could just reset again to see what you missed. I'd like an Extra Punctuation paragraph on why you don't like it (which is what I'm assuming) because a man can dream.

Ravinak

Nov 5, 2008
Caverns of Time in WoW, some of you may not like the game, but being able to play through some of the missions from WC3 in a new perspective is simply awesome!

greatgreybeast

Jul 9, 2008
I don't remember how much it was tied into actual gameplay, but Dark Fall: Lights Out had a cool three-time-periods mechanic similar to Day of the Tentacle.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
The Discworld-based adventurer, although it didn't revolve around time travel, had one of its main mechanics revolving around Rincewind's capacity to use the dark corners of the Unseen University's Library to go back in time 12 hours.

Among the things you'd use this power for includes:

Finding yourself 12 hours prior sleeping in the park hammered from the reverse-time made liquor you'd still drink in the future, so you can put a frog on your own mouth in order to block your snoring from blowing a butterfly away.

Releasing said butterfly on a spot a cleric in dark mantles would give his sermon 12 hours later so that it'd cause a storm on that spot, wetting his mantle and forcing him to put it away so you can steal it.

Participating on the ritual that summoned the Dragon you're trying to deal with in the present to know how the ritual was made and who's responsible, but probably becoming the reason it was summoned in the first place.

Put a sheet over your head to scare a guy you know was scared by a ghost in the present.

If I'd remember more I'd post it, but that game was way too confusing without adding time-traveling to the mix. Good adventurer though, but completely mad.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
SandroTheMaster said:
If I'd remember more I'd post it, but that game was way too confusing without adding time-traveling to the mix. Good adventurer though, but completely mad.
Yup, that's pretty much how Pratchett rolls. :)

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Wait, to get attention from Yahtzee all we have to do is talk smack?

Branston Pickle sucks, Joss Whedon is a genius, Psychonauts is the worst game ever made, and all Australians/Brits (same difference) smell incredibly horrid. Also, the reason you dislike games is because you can't play them properly. Yahtzee? More like Nahtzee!

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Serious Sam. The entire game is based around you stopping the future happening by changing the past. Its why all the enemies teleport in. They are sent from the future.

verindae

May 22, 2010
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Shadow of Memories yet, going back in time to find out who keeps killing you in the present, or is it just that everyone hated it? lol

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I'm going to agree with pretty much everyone else on here. Chrono Trigger -- best time travel-based game, hands down.

It may not of been completely scientifically accurate, but well... time travel isn't exactly science yet anyways.

Best game with time travel where it didn't actually effect the gameplay at all? Sure, TMNT Turtles In Time was pretty awesome.

Games on my "to-do" list involving time travel:
Cryostasis
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

Oh, and Red Alert was sort of premised on time travel, although the gameplay didn't involve it. Loved that one.

This article felt pretty half-assed. The list of games was woefully inadequate. Like he said, Wikipedia had the damn list already for him, he couldn't of spent a little more time picking some more meaningful games and dissecting them?

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
"Dear Yahtzee,

You are a ******. You suck the penis of over 100 different species of animal. You enjoy being raped up the bum by old, hairy men. Your dick is smaller than an average 12 year old's. All you do is say stupid things on teh internet for a living. You have a fetish for grandmas. Go and fuck yourself. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best."

This is the example I will use the next time someone asks me what a Nintendo Fanboy is. Thank you Chris E. You made my day.

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
Kollega said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I want to know whatever happened to that RTS that was supposed to use time travel as a gameplay element?
Achron? They're still doing it. It's currently in alpha, and i may consider buying it.
I'm incredibly intrigued by that game... I want it.

Sexbad

Mar 31, 2010
Yahtzee, you crazy past-altering superhuman, Cryostasis. If you can soak your PC in enough liquid nitrogen you should try it. Oddly enough it's a mystery game despite the shooting happening. You see, you go into people's memories from before they die to fix the timeline to a happy place, but it's about learning about their actions and what all of their mutations into creepy monsters mean and shit. It's very unique, but I'm at odds as to whether you would like it, debating between mediocre gunplay on the top and the world's greatest video game story and use of mystery as a gameplay element underneath.

Well you'll probably just ignore this. But it would make for a neat review for a time when not much is really coming out. Like, for instance, now.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
esperandote said:
Back to the future NES... I can't think of any other.
I remember the horror that was that game!

Haha, I wonder if Chris E has a user account here on the Escapist?

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
It pains me to have to be yet another person to harp it, but I loved the Journeyman Project series, particularly the first. Photo-realistic graphics? Filmed FMV sequences? Oh my. Also, the premise of monopolising time-travel for the purpose of maintaining the contiguity between past and present was an interesting one. The only drawback I thought it had was the loneliness the game forced you into. Harped at by computerised voices that you, Agent 5 are late; being confronted by dickhead robots...

I also love the novel idea of leaving a disk with the entirety of earth's history buried into the side of a random mountain in 400,000 BC. How they exactly managed to store or even accurately record such a large amount of information is another story though...

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, although thats like the only time-travelling game I've actually played. But it did have some nice time travelling and going back to the past to fix the present, and time bombs were useful.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Kollega said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I want to know whatever happened to that RTS that was supposed to use time travel as a gameplay element?
Achron? They're still doing it. It's currently in alpha, and i may consider buying it.
Wait, you really want to play a game that makes your brain bleed? Well all right then.

Oh and, go Chris.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
My favorite timetraveling machanic has to be in the hitchhikers guide the the galaxy text based adventure game.
At the very begining of the game you run into a dog, which if you do nothing snaps at a fly because its hungery.
Towards the very end of the game you get transported into an alien space craft traveling to destroy earth. However due to a misunderstanding around size and scale the ship itself is only the size of a fly, which gets eaten by the dog at the begrining of the game. At which point you have to start the game again so you can feed the dog a sandwich to stop him killing you at the end of the game.

Annoying, sure; but in its own way very cool...

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
... Harsh.

No need to put everyone who likes Majora's Mask in the same boat as Chris E.

I would bring up the fact that Majora's Mask would perfectly fill a hole in your time-travel games list, but the list is hardly comprehensive, and you probably didn't want to risk the ire of too many more Nintendo fans.