On Time Travel

TraderJimmy

Apr 17, 2010
Mass Debater is not funny, Yahtzee.

You need to know that.

On-topic (or the topic he gave us, anyway):
Timesplitters? Um, like, best shooter evar?

Series kicked ass! :D

I did like Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons + Oracle of Time (Titles may not be right) for Gameboy Color. I've never played Majora's Mask.

But yeah, Legend of Zelda games always let me down by having one mini-game that is (a) essential to complete if you want to progress and (b) nearly impossible for me to complete.

In these games, I remember there being a 'Simon Says' rhythm game that pissed me off no end.

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
Why some people mention "Zelda: Oracle of Seasons"?

Changing seasons is not time travel. That is weather manipulation. Don't get me wrong, that's still a cool gameplay mechanic and it was pulled off really nicely (as the Zelda series always does), but it's not the same.

The Zelda games that involve time travel (each one differently and in different extents, though) are "Ocarina of Time", "Majora's Mask" and "Oracle of Ages".

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Half Life 2! You travel forward in time at the speed of regular time... What?
Ok, fine. Does Assassins Creed 2 count? I suppose that isn't really time travel, certainly no in game mechanics.
Well, I'll just say Prince Of Persia then. All of them. And I did enjoy Timeshift's gameplay. The time manipulation was fun. But the story bored me.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
It's pretty much easier and more annoying to trolls like Chris.E to realise he's been completely ignored. All they want is attention from the person they're seeking to annoy.

Zelgon

Jul 28, 2010
I think one of the best games that used time travel was Braid. It really infused the aspect of going back and forward in time in order to complete each level. That and it was fucking hard as a Rhinos balls.

hardwiredd

Jul 28, 2010
I will always remember the Journeyman Project. the VERY first computer game I ever played on my first computer.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Sir John The Net Knight said:
Ken Sapp said:
Sir John The Net Knight said:
My favorite game that uses time travel mechanics is Chrono Trigger. Which Yahtzee claimed to like but will probably still berate me for choosing because it's a JRPG and god forbid anyone like those games. [bold]But time travel mechanics in that game are limited to plot and have little to no bearing on actual gameplay.[/bold] (No, I don't care to argue the legitimacy of JRPG mechanics as gameplay, TYVM.)

Also Yahtzee will probably weep with yellow anger when he hears I'm going to buy Singularity, which I already decided before I saw his video. Or maybe he won't weep since it's a person thinking with their own mind, rather than letting games journalists do it for them. Which is something he advocated for, wasn't it?
Actually they did have one effect on gameplay that I recall(roo many years since I last played), The special boxes that required a certain pendant to open would have different items in them depending upon which time period you opened them in. The later the time period the better the item and if you opened them in an earlier time period they would not be available in the future time periods.
I think that was in FFVI, actually. The boxes in the starting area had better stuff if you waited until the second part of the game to open them.
I don't recall much about FFVI, but I do know that what I described was in Chrono Trigger. They were scattered all around the world and the best way to loot them was to work your way back from the future through the time periods looting them.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Flishiz said:
It's quite clear that the best time-travel game ever created and will stand tall and proud over any other pretender that dares glance at its throne is Mario's Time Machine. What other game has been so able to take a series known for excellence and provides government-sanctioned printers of all international currencies and rightly beat it to a bloody pulp with a game where you blithely wander random time periods looking for unimportant shit like Mario had an unusually detailed shopping list?

I hereby rest my case.
I remember renting that game as a youth and only having a Saturday to finish and I got really close, but because I did something out of order I had to redo EVERYTHING.

...I never ending up finishing it, it burns me to this day.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Ratchet & Clank Future - A Crack In Time featured some time travelling, time-slowing grenades and even time-stopping at many points. How about you give that game a shot?

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
Mass-debater...Oh, I get it! And Majora's Mask wasn't that bad. Except for that really shitty tower dungeon. That was evil before one had figured it out.
I believe it's been said already countless times, but my favourite game involving time travel would be Timespliters 2 & 3, hands down.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I'm confused, is Yahtzee gay or does he like women? Which is it? It can't be both, well I suppose, not unless he likes to fuck grandmothers as a result of self hatred ingrained in his mind by years of repression

or Chris E could just be talking crap, I'm sure its one of those.

Tyrant T100

Aug 19, 2009
EightGaugeHippo said:
Timesplitters has time trvvel in it, but does it count since there is no game mechanics revolving around time manipulation?
Sorry if someone already responded, but in the Breaking and Entering level of Future perfect you get the time manipulation grenades, that make everything move in slow motion in the explosions radius. So you can shoot ultra fast and watch the enemies die very slowly.

Rythe

Mar 28, 2009
Yeah, Chrono Trigger. If you don't think it used Time Travel as a game mechanic, then your thinking is stuck inside the middle of the box. Changing items by leaving them in the past and picking them up in the future? Picking up items in the future, and then going back in time to pick them up again? Changing how characters act by altering their pasts? Changing history completely depending on what point in the plot you defeat the final boss? It's not insta-gratification bullet time, but it's still a mechanic. That game was such a joy for it's light-hearted tone and overall excellent quality.

Also, I hear Timesplitters is crazy, wacky fun. And Day of the Tentacle looks amusing as heck.

ninjakittyofdoom

Mar 19, 2009
speaking of Time travel has anyone noticed a tardis is now popping up randomly in his reviews. For a Time travel game he should try the new Doctor Who adventures.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Premonition said:
Oh, well, Chrissy is my personal hero at this point. Such style and grace. I have not seen such great debating since, well, ever.
My personal favorite game involving time traveling has to be the very splendid TimeSplitter franchise. Most notably: TimeSplitters 3. There's time traveling in it so it's allowed xD

Edit: Also, Final Fantasy 8 deserves a mention for being so bat-shit insanely stupid.
Why was it stupid?

I think Yahtzee should have included a bit more of a build up for Chris, but other than that excellent. I personally think the game that nailed it best, from recollection, would have to be PoP: Warrior Within.

Holy crap. Time Cop. I remember playing it when I was really damn young, didn't even speak english so the majority of it went over my head I'm sure, but I remember I was so happy when I was trying to kill some Egyptians because it was one of the first times I didn't need to use a rock to kill something.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
ok seriously Chris is most certainly a Troll...once I think about it I got another message like that about my Fanfiction....and there is a reviewer on Youtube who trolls Scatman videos...you don't think....