Once again ResetEra Banned me.....for not caring about all people being all white in Squadron 42?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Specter Von Baren said:
You're equating two separate things: intent and execution. When the execution makes the result indistinguishable from one with a racist intent, little matters the real intent; as it causes the same effect. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

You're also equating criticism with violation of civil rights. Cheap!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I honestly believe that people who notice this crap are the real racists. It doesn't even register on the radar for me. I didn't even for a second ponder the diversity of Squadron 42. It could have been all a squad made up entirely of racial and ethnic minorities and I wouldn't have noticed or cared. It's a fuckin' video game. You know who notices and who cares? Racists.
Also, you have to be really fucked up in the head to constantly be on a lookout for things to be outraged about.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Silentpony said:
Its weird that people are all for artistic interring and separation, yet also demand art, in this case the story of Squad42, be changed to meet their new social requirements. Mark Hamill is a white dude, so in casting him you got a white dude.
"demand" and "their" are pretty charged words.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
CaitSeith said:
Specter Von Baren said:
You're equating two separate things: intent and execution. When the execution makes the result indistinguishable from one with a racist intent, little matters the real intent; as it causes the same effect. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

No. Intent DOES matter. You can be charged for murder or manslaughter based on whether there was intent. Racism is not based on a group of people being all one race. You do not look at three ten year old white children playing together and immediately say these children are racist. If they are not allowing a racially asian kid to play with them because of their race then they would be racist. But a group of white people that are only white people is not a racist thing. We have rules, we have laws, we have these things for a reason, you do not get to just decide that they can sometimes apply it not just because of what you want.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
Also, you have to be really fucked up in the head to constantly be on a lookout for things to be outraged about.
Care to go to the Total War thread and write that there too?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Specter Von Baren said:
CaitSeith said:
Specter Von Baren said:

No. Intent DOES matter. You can be charged for murder or manslaughter based on whether there was intent.
This isn't a criminal charge. This is criticism of a product. Criticism! Do you know the difference?

EDIT: Besides, if the artists' intent is to not look racist; they'd probably take note of the complains and check if they are valid, wouldn't they? After all, everyone makes mistakes.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
CaitSeith said:
Silentpony said:
Its weird that people are all for artistic interring and separation, yet also demand art, in this case the story of Squad42, be changed to meet their new social requirements. Mark Hamill is a white dude, so in casting him you got a white dude.
"demand" and "their" are pretty charged words.
Not really? Demand refers to the action of wanting more minority characters, which is fine, but not asking for it, and their refers to them, the people over on ResetEra.
I mean the whole point of hiring people like Mark was they're legacy actors, people who were in the previous wing commander games, and thus to make this not-Wing Commander sequel they got those actors. Its like wanting a FPS game staring a foul-mouthed hyper masculine body builder who is always spouting one liners as he fights off an alien invasion, so the devs get John St. John to do the voice, but then other people get made the role wasn't given to a woman or something.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
CaitSeith said:
Specter Von Baren said:
CaitSeith said:
Specter Von Baren said:

No. Intent DOES matter. You can be charged for murder or manslaughter based on whether there was intent.
This isn't a criminal charge. This is criticism of a product. Criticism! Do you know the difference?

EDIT: Besides, if the artists' intent is to not look racist; they'd probably take note of the complains and check if they are valid, wouldn't they? After all, everyone makes mistakes.
Calling someone racist DOES have implications with the law. It is a serious subject that you should not just throw around. If you believe this company to be racist then you are saying you believe they are making racist actions in their company and wish them to be tried for being racist in a court of law. If you don't think they are being discriminatory in their company then what are you arguing for? Because as I said, group of only white people is not racism. If you want to argue that it influences people to be racist then you also should believe violent games make you violent because they use the same reasoning.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Silentpony said:
I mean the whole point of hiring people like Mark was they're legacy actors, people who were in the previous wing commander games, and thus to make this not-Wing Commander sequel they got those actors.
Fair argument. But, will all the central characters be played by legacy actors?

If so, probably we should talk about how benign is this way of keeping the legacy alive.

I'd wish I had more arguments, but I can't think in anything else but how those actors were convinced to participate in such disastrously messy production like Star Citizen. When was the release date again?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Specter Von Baren said:
If you believe this company to be racist...
Never said that. This is criticism of their art, of their a product if you will.

Specter Von Baren said:
...then you are saying you believe they are making racist actions in their company...
That's a stretch in this case; outside of the creative decisions on the direction of the product.

Specter Von Baren said:
...and wish them to be tried for being racist in a court of law.
NO! What I wish here is that they realize how their work ended up looking racist. If that wasn't their intent, they'll hopefully make their next work to match their vision more accurately. Even if it was their intent, none of this involves a court of law (mainly because that's not the solution for this problem).

Criticism isn't a formal accusation of a crime, sir!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
evilthecat said:
Why not?

Like, if I was a non-white person looking at whether to buy into this game, do you think I should be forced to ignore the fact that someone seems to have made a specific decision to ensure that there are no people who look like me in it merely because that decision is unintentional? They've still sent a clear message to the audience that this is a game about (and therefore for) for white people.
I'd like to think that if a non-white person went to buy the game, their level of interest wouldn't be predicated on the skin colour of its protagonists. Same reason why if a white person went to buy a game with a non-white cast, their level of interest would seemingly be un-predicated.

This is why Hollywood has learned to avoid all-white casts, incidentally. It's not because the "SJWs" got to them, it's because they figured out that a film with only white people in it can come across as exclusionary to audiences who might otherwise enjoy it.
Or, because they want as big a portion of the pie as possible.

What artists do or don't do is irrelevant. Going back to your list, if there was whitewashing of Black Panther or CRA, then that would be an issue. In contrast, an all-white cast in Quiet Place means nothing, because far as I'm aware, race is irrelevant to the story.

If you literally can't stand to have non-white people exist within your narrative, then that can convey the impression that you don't want non-white people to buy into your product.
Except there's no evidence that RSI "can't stand to have non-white people" bar your own projections.

How do you measure the "failure" of a story?

A story can fail to communicate the information the author intended, or it can fail to be entertaining, or it can fail to make money.. but it can't just "fail" on a magical, transcendental level.
You've kind of just answered your question. However, it's much easier to measure the failure of a story based on writing, worldbuilding, and characters, than on a "transcendental level."

Also, how can you "convey narrative outside of the story". Narrative and story are the same thing.
Narrative: "A spoken or written account of connected events; a story."

Story: "An account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment."

Narrative and story are the same thing. A distinction that does exist is the distinction between plot and storytelling.

Anything that is conveying narrative is part of the story. That can include thins like colour, shot-composition, non-diegetic music or authorial tone which aren't part of the self-contained universe in which the narrative takes place. It can also include metanarrative information (which is especially important in genre media, like science fiction) like pop culture references, or tropes. Squadron 42 probably won't spend half an hour explaining to you why spaceships can travel faster than light even though this is probably impossible. It's a genre convention in science fiction, but you wouldn't know that unless you were exposed to other science fiction.
Metanarrative is far less important when compared to the actual narrative. One doesn't need to know the conventions of a genre or the context of its creation to form a judgement based on it.

Right, but we're both making claims.
Except burden of proof lies in your court.

For example:

Bob: "X is guilty of fraud."

Bill: "X isn't guilty of fraud."

Burden of proof still lies with Bob.

The question, if you want to phrase this in terms of burden of proof, is which question requires the fewest contingencies. If you believe that race is irrelevant in this setting, if that's something you want to assume, then why does the casting and appearance of the characters not reflect this colour-blind attitude to race in the future? Why has this space fleet magically ended up full of white people?
Okay, you want to talk about the fewest contingencies? Then what's more likely? That:

a) The UEE is racist, and enforces that policy of racial segregation, that RSI is a bunch of closest racists, and we've somehow missed all this up to this point?

b) That the "all white cast" is just a combination of production factors, ranging from trying to get back Hamill, to subconcious bias, to meritocracy?

Again, you've already pretty much admitted that b is the more likely outcome. Arguing for option a requires evidence that so far, you, and everyone else, have failed to provide.

Star Trek set out to present a vision of the world in which race was irrelevant, and low and behold that was reflected in the casting by having a black woman and an Asian man appear on the bridge. At the time, there was a semi-official policy of discrimination and censorship which dictated what non-white actors could be seen doing on television, so Gene Roddenberry had to fight for that, and he did because he knew it was important, because he knew that if he was going to sell this idea of a post-racial future then he had to show that, not just rely on the audience to assume it. It wasn't a default assumption then, and it isn't today.
Except it is an assumption today. You and some people look at Star Citizen and appear it isn't. I and a lot of other people appear it is. When I watch a show set in the future, I don't spend my time keeping a tally of characters' skin colour.

Another key difference you're neglecting to mention is that Star Trek and Star Citizen have different visions. Gene Rodenberry wanted his perfect future and everything that entails. Chris Roberts wanted to make a space sim in the vein of games like Wing Commander. Star Trek is interested in one thing, Star Citizen another.

The UEEN doesn't exist. None of its fleets exist. To exist in any form, they need to be shown to us through the story.
Jesus Christ...

I've no idea why you're even interested in fiction if the basis of it is "none of it's real, none of it matters, all that matters is what the designers do."

Again, the fact that all important characters in this story are white.
Again, ex post facto.

If the intention was that the UEE isn't racial segregated and is a colourblind meritocracy, then whoever cast this game has fucked up because they haven't shown that, in fact they've shown the complete opposite. The fact that noone at RSI noticed this is kind of indicative, given how easy it was for Gene Roddenberry to see this in the 1960s.
And if they did fuck up? So what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsuokWmEZI

You keep going on about Star Trek, but remember The Omega Glory? Y'know, that episode? Fucked up as that is, it doesn't autoamtically drag down Star Trek with it.

Star Citizen is (presumably) more than just the colour of its people's skin. Likewise, one bad episode in TOS (well, more than one, but whatever) doesn't automatically drag down the rest of it.

Are you ready for this, because I'm getting tired of having to point it out.

The. Setting. Of. Star. Citizen. Is. Not. Real.
No shit Sherlock.

You can rant and rave about a fictional setting not being real, that doesn't change anything.

This isn't a criticism of the "worldbuilding" though, it's a criticism of the piece of media itself, its production, casting and presentation to us as a piece of media. Gethsemani made an effort to explain it earlier, and I'd suggest reading her post as it might help you to understand the difference.
I have read it. You're being an extreme Doyalist.

I think you're the one who's having trouble understanding the difference.

Because if you're going to keep treating a fictional universe as if it's real and real people in the real world can be defended using its internal logic, then this discussion is pointless.
Of course any setting can.

If it's pointless, then go away. I was tired of debating this ages ago.

Every important character featured in the trailer is white[/b]. That is something that actually appears in the trailer, and is featured in the marketing. From the very beginning of this discussion, I have pointed out that there are two possible explanations for this:

1) It is an intentional "in universe" feature of the setting that white people are disproportionately represented within important roles within this particular fleet.
2) It is an unintentional result of casting choices and marketing decisions made outside of the setting.

Now, you can see in the trailer that there all the important or featured characters are white. That's obvious, isn't it? You also seem to expect people to "assume" that race doesn't matter in this setting. Therefore, I assume that you believe this is the result of option two, and I agree with you. That should have been where the discussion on the universe and its internal logic ended, because it doesn't matter. We have dismissed the idea that this is a deliberate feature of the universe being depicted.
Oh, thank God, it's over!

But, there are two problems with this.
Christ...

1) There is a conflict or dissonance between the idea that race doesn't matter in this universe and the fact that this has resulted in the important people all being white. It would actually make more sense if we were to follow option 1, and believe that there is some form of in-universe racial discrimination which prevents non-white people from achieving positions of importance. Thus trailer has actually conveyed the opposite impression to the one I believe was intended, which is a failure.

2) The fact that casting choices and marketing decisions have unintentionally resulted in an overwhelmingly white cast indicates that whatever priorities have motivated those decisions are suffering from some kind of (likely unconscious) racial bias. This may be due to whoever cast the movie only liking or being a fan of white actors, or it may be due to an insidious assumption (possibly even true) that the game's target audience will be more "hyped" for white actors. Neither of these things is above criticism because both indicate the presence of racism either within the game's creators or its fanbase. This is important not just because it's ideologically distasteful or offensive, but because it leads to a material deprivation of non-white actors who have effectively missed out on roles because they weren't white enough to appeal to the game's fans or casting directors.
I was wrong about Jesus Christ. He and God have left us.

Fine. I'm going to skip option 1 because your response to it would just be "but it ain't real!"

Option 2...okay, you start off reasonable, but you go from "likely unconcious racial bias" to suggesting that the game's creators and fanbase are inherently racist, to suggesting that non-white actors were "deprived." Since you're so fond of Star Trek, I'll quote Picard and say "The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think."

Hawki said:
It's already cost something close to $200 million. Trust me, it's already had a cultural impact, that's why we're talking about it.
The amount of money something costs to make says nothing about its level of impact.

Also, two forums? That's hardly "cultural impact."

You think if/when Star Citizen is released people are going to care about this little deviation?

Star Wars isn't just a "setting". It's a franchise worth nearly a billion dollars. We can appraise it as such, and when we do race is definately important.
Except race shouldn't be important. When we judge Star Wars, we should judge it by stuff like quality of writing, directing, etc.

Remember The Last Jedi? Remember how morons claimed it was "SJWing" the setting? Those people were, and are, morons. But similarly, it's asinine to praise TLJ purely by the diversity of its cast. The ethnicity of the cast has no relevance in-universe, and has no relavance in the standard of good filmaking/storytelling.

There's no evidence that it isn't
Sigh...

Specter Von Baren said:
I really hate this argument going around in this thread that the Cold War logic from the American government is what we should apply to everything in our daily lives.

"We see that these people are friends with X so they MIGHT be a communist! We need to break the laws of the government and monitor their private lives!"

"But they haven't actually done anything. You need actual evidence first"

"No! They might not be communists but they could BECOME communists, we need to do this!"

I don't care what side you're on, what you're arguing for, the ends do not justify the means because the means can undercut the ends.

This reminds me of what happened a couple of years ago with the Puppeteer game where someone complained about the main character being X as if it was required that they be Y, it's a bad argument.

If you want to argue that this is racism then you need MORE. Are the creators of the game racist? Have they shown any such leaning before this? What do they themselves say about the main character cast? You can say "It might, they could, what if" all you want but you all that gives you is a reason to look into it more, you can not make any conclusions based on just this alone.
Yeah, what the anime avatar said.

Star Citizen is not being created for the benefit of its characters, setting or story. They won't get to play it, because they don't exist.
So basically you sidestep the point entirely. I never claimed it was for their benefit, I claimed it was irrelevant to them.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Adam Jensen said:
I honestly believe that people who notice this crap are the real racists. It doesn't even register on the radar for me. I didn't even for a second ponder the diversity of Squadron 42. It could have been all a squad made up entirely of racial and ethnic minorities and I wouldn't have noticed or cared. It's a fuckin' video game. You know who notices and who cares? Racists.
I wouldn't go as far as to call them racists, but it's eerily similar to how racists act.

Kyle Gaddo said:
We live in a world where people's skin color does, in fact, matter. The art we consume should absolutely be representative of the fact that we live in an extremely diverse world that includes a huge gradient of individuals beyond white, and especially includes individuals who are non-white capable of being represented in leading roles.

Visually catering to one demographic in a piece of art ignores the diversity of the world we reside in. There's nothing racist about wanting the world at large to be represented in the art we consume.

Artists are absolutely free to create whatever art they wish, but putting that art into the world means that it's open to critique. And if critiquing the fact that it lacks visual diversity is part of its critique, then so be it.

The art you create is political and can be as great or as narrow as the worldview you harbor.
In theory I agree with you, except:

-There's no evidence of active exclusion. Again, is it more likely that RSI deliberately excluded non-white actors, or it was a gaff on their part? Even Evil seems to acknowledge that the latter is more likely.

-Art is fair to be critiqued, sure, but art should be critiqued on its own merits, not projected ones.

I mean, if people want to judge Star Citizen solely on the ethnicity of its cast, that's their prerogative, but it's an extremely reductive form of critique. Again, Evil has shown himself unable (or unwilling) to engage with any form of the universe outside its characters' skin colours.

Edit: Since it's pertinent, I'll draw it up.

For instance, I think the trailer is pretty bad. So does Evil. However, our reasons for it vary:

Hawki: The trailer is bad because it lacks a sense of flow. It tells me little about the world other than "there's human good guys fighting alien bad guys." I have no sense of who these characters are.

Evil: This trailer is bad, because it has an all-white human cast. That indicates that either the UEE is racially segregated, or the producers are racist, either actively or sub-conciously.

Ask yourself, which, in theory, is the more constructive critique? The one that addresses the failures of pacing, worldbuilding, and character-establishment? Or the one that focuses on the ethnicities of the cast and the possible production reasons behind it?

Neither lines of critique are mutually exclusive, but I'd argue that one is far more relevant than the other.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Hawki said:
Kyle Gaddo said:
We live in a world where people's skin color does, in fact, matter. The art we consume should absolutely be representative of the fact that we live in an extremely diverse world that includes a huge gradient of individuals beyond white, and especially includes individuals who are non-white capable of being represented in leading roles.

Visually catering to one demographic in a piece of art ignores the diversity of the world we reside in. There's nothing racist about wanting the world at large to be represented in the art we consume.

Artists are absolutely free to create whatever art they wish, but putting that art into the world means that it's open to critique. And if critiquing the fact that it lacks visual diversity is part of its critique, then so be it.

The art you create is political and can be as great or as narrow as the worldview you harbor.
In theory I agree with you, except:

-There's no evidence of active exclusion. Again, is it more likely that RSI deliberately excluded non-white actors, or it was a gaff on their part? Even Evil seems to acknowledge that the latter is more likely.

-Art is fair to be critiqued, sure, but art should be critiqued on its own merits, not projected ones.

I mean, if people want to judge Star Citizen solely on the ethnicity of its cast, that's their prerogative, but it's an extremely reductive form of critique. Again, Evil has shown himself unable (or unwilling) to engage with any form of the universe outside its characters' skin colours.

Edit: Since it's pertinent, I'll draw it up.

For instance, I think the trailer is pretty bad. So does Evil. However, our reasons for it vary:

Hawki: The trailer is bad because it lacks a sense of flow. It tells me little about the world other than "there's human good guys fighting alien bad guys." I have no sense of who these characters are.

Evil: This trailer is bad, because it has an all-white human cast. That indicates that either the UEE is racially segregated, or the producers are racist, either actively or sub-conciously.

Ask yourself, which, in theory, is the more constructive critique? The one that addresses the failures of pacing, worldbuilding, and character-establishment? Or the one that focuses on the ethnicities of the cast and the possible production reasons behind it?

Neither lines of critique are mutually exclusive, but I'd argue that one is far more relevant than the other.
Thinking exercise:

Hawki: The trailer is bad because it lacks a sense of flow. That indicates that either the UEE is full of bullshit and carton-board characters, or the producers are all idiots, lazy or greedy (or all of above).

Evil: This trailer is bad, because it has an all-white human cast. It tells me little about the world other than "there's white human good guys fighting alien bad guys." It doesn't tell how non-white humans will fit there, and I hope they don't intend to leave them out.

Ask yourself, which, in theory, is the more constructive critique? Better yet, ask yourself why is it a more constructive critique? And if you have time, ask what would the other critique need to be more constructive?

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
ResetEra is ran by the mentally ill. The mods prove time and time again their views of their own importance is laughably misguided. That's what happens when you stew in an echo chamber for so long. Neogaf's implosion was an opportunity to reflect on their actions instead they dove deeper into the abyss. It's kinda pathetic really.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
CaitSeith said:
Thinking exercise:

Hawki: The trailer is bad because it lacks a sense of flow. That indicates that either the UEE is full of bullshit and carton-board characters, or the producers are all idiots, lazy or greedy (or all of above).

Evil: This trailer is bad, because it has an all-white human cast. It tells me little about the world other than "there's white human good guys fighting alien bad guys." It doesn't tell how non-white humans will fit there, and I hope they don't intend to leave them out.

Ask yourself, which, in theory, is the more constructive critique? Better yet, ask yourself why is it a more constructive critique? And if you have time, ask what would the other critique need to be more constructive?
It's hard to say which is more constructive, because both are flawed.

In this analogy, "Hawki" is conflating two different issues. He starts by saying that it lacks a sense of flow (a reference to editing), then equates that with the UEE. That doesn't even make sense. The UEE is an in-universe phenomenon, the editing is an out-of-universe phenomenon. So, "Hawki" can't use editing as an example of anything in-universe, and it's a big jump to assume that the editing means the producers are any of the above, because while they might have oversight over the trailer, they're not the ones who produced it (that would be video editors)

However, "Evil's" isn't much better. He starts his critique by saying "all-white = bad." He then extends his critique to encompass everything in this frame of reference, looking at everything through the lens of race. As a possible result, Evil fails to look at the editing style, or consider any other factor outside the lens of race.

So, which is more constructive? Well, you've given me terrible options, but taking them verbatim, I will say Evil. The "Hawki" of this analogy is an idiot, who's conflating editing with character. "Evil" comes off as a bigot, but he's at least consistent in his approach. A racial lens is a terrible way to look at media (especially if the media gives no indication that it's dealing with race), but at least he's using the same lens rather than switching them out without realizing it.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I can't help but think "not caring" is the appropriate response for Star Citizen. I'll start caring about the diversity issue if it looks like they will release the game at all, which is by far the bigger issue.

As it stands, the only effect their whitewashing has is making non-whites less likely to waste their money on this thing.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Adam Jensen said:
Agreed. People who are so focused on race when it comes to everything are the real problem.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Hawki said:
Okay, I'll put it this way.

Bob: "Here's my game."

Bill: "Huh. Aren't all the major characters right?"

Bob: "Hmm...you're right. Wasn't my intention though."

This point in time, there's no reason to continue. I mean, it can, but it's up to Bob to take action, if at all.
Also known as unconscious bias. No one is telling them to remake game materials. They're telling them it's fucking creepy ... they also shouldn't fucking complain because it's a valid point of contest. To put it into greater light, these materials took more than a day to produce. It's not like a concept storyboard picture (though that's how it would have started) that someone knocked up in a day.

Alive, yes, but pretty academic.
Oh, I'm sorry, but now you want to ditch the semantic games you've been playing thus far?

Also, 'being alive' isn't academic. It's self-evident.

Difference being that in an empire of billions, if not trillions, of a navy that is the largest branch of the UEE's armed forces, that it's far too small a sample size to draw any conclusions.
How is this a point in contention? Moreover sample size of what, exactly? Moreover you can mke this argument about anything. "Oh, I'm sorry ... you dn't like our portrayal of characters in this game? Well yeah but it's a small sample size..."

How is it even a sample size to begin with? A 'sample size' assumes these characters are in a study to begin with. All of the characters in the trailer of our observation are 100% of the grand total of the subjects of the observation. You can't have a n value higher than every possible subject.

That, and we know the UEE allows freedom of religion, and RSI is unlikely to be pushing a racial agenda.
Relevance?

The original frame was in reference to Hinduism, and the perspective of protagonists. As in, the protagonist of a story is seeing things through the filter of their faith. I took that as having a Hindu protagonist.
All of the examples I gave don't have explicit Judeo-Christian-believing protagonists (except Messiah) ... but I cited them for a reason. I fucking love Homeworld precisely because of its religious subtext ... it was a clever way of telling an eschatological story at the end of time, and it helps bleed together a sense of a religious monomyth in a grand way that still works.

Better than Battlestar Galactica (original or current), in my opinion. It's part and parcel a reason that harks to my original point. No one is telling thepeople that made Homeworld to basically make the story more inclusive of other world religions (though I'd argue that it does that already) precisely because the creators intentionally cultivated that sense in the game. That was their intention. The Mothership designs being a crescent moon or a partialy eclipsed Sun (both eclipse events and moon phases are important iconography in early monotheistic religions).

Using neuroscience as an explanation for a sci-fi prophet that will emerge to lead a lost tribe back to a place that predate the clans? Referencing ancient societies and mythology as symbolic of a journey across Earth to get to their version of the Holy Land?

The Gardens of Kadesh which its defenders implement a form of technology that is similar to the Khar Toba, reference to an ancient Syrian city of Qadesh... sharing its reference with the Khar Toba which is also a reference to a possibly mythical city of the Far East.

Guidestones with Farohar (the Great Guide) stylized iconography (the falcon wings against central circles) that points the way back?

Digging it.

A Judeo-Christian and pre-Judeo-Christian eschatological retelling of an End Times event told in a epic sci-fi experience.

It works.

Taking religious inspiration for worldbuilding is different from what I understood to be your original point.
But it's not just inspiration, it's a retelling of a return of one of the lost tribes. It's 'inspiration' in the same way that that original eschatology were 'inspired' by pre-existing religious instruction.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Oh, I'm sorry, but now you want to ditch the semantic games you've been playing thus far?
Says the person who shifts "LGBT representation" to "LGBT themes," who plays the media/sci-fi game, and who shifts from real-world religions to make believe ones.

You're the one who's playing semantics.

Also, 'being alive' isn't academic. It's self-evident.
Being alive is self-evident. It isn't self-evident of awareness, which is what the original point was about, that the average Australian would have been a toddler in the last days of the Cold War.

How is this a point in contention? Moreover sample size of what, exactly?
That if you want a sample size of a multi-system empire and want to look at its ethnicity, taking a single fleet isn't a large enough sample size to make conclusions.

How is it even a sample size to begin with? A 'sample size' assumes these characters are in a study to begin with. All of the characters in the trailer of our observation are 100% of the grand total of the subjects of the observation. You can't have a n value higher than every possible subject.
No, but if you want a sample size of the population, you need a reasonable part of that population to make conclusions.

Relevance?
Relevance in that as RSI is unlikely to be pushing any kind of agenda, and that there's no evidence of the UEE having any in-universe agenda (said UEE having freedom of religion and friendly relations with alien species), the only leg the whole "RSI is racist" is a pretty weak one.

All of the examples I gave don't have explicit Judeo-Christian-believing protagonists (except Messiah) ... but I cited them for a reason. I fucking love Homeworld precisely because of its religious subtext ... it was a clever way of telling an eschatological story at the end of time, and it helps bleed together a sense of a religious monomyth in a grand way that still works.

Better than Battlestar Galactica (original or current), in my opinion. It's part and parcel a reason that harks to my original point. No one is telling thepeople that made Homeworld to basically make the story more inclusive of other world religions (though I'd argue that it does that already) precisely because the creators intentionally cultivated that sense in the game. That was their intention. The Mothership designs being a crescent moon or a partialy eclipsed Sun (both eclipse events and moon phases are important iconography in early monotheistic religions).

Using neuroscience as an explanation for a sci-fi prophet that will emerge to lead a lost tribe back to a place that predate the clans? Referencing ancient societies and mythology as symbolic of a journey across Earth to get to their version of the Holy Land?

The Gardens of Kadesh which its defenders implement a form of technology that is similar to the Khar Toba, reference to an ancient Syrian city of Qadesh... sharing its reference with the Khar Toba which is also a reference to a possibly mythical city of the Far East.

Guidestones with Farohar (the Great Guide) stylized iconography (the falcon wings against central circles) that points the way back?

Digging it.

A Judeo-Christian and pre-Judeo-Christian eschatological retelling of an End Times event told in a epic sci-fi experience.

It works.
And all this is relevant...how, exactly?

Homeworld takes inspiration from various religions. Good for Homeworld.

Also, according to Wikipedia, the primary sources of inspiration for Homeworld were Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars.

But it's not just inspiration, it's a retelling of a return of one of the lost tribes. It's 'inspiration' in the same way that that original eschatology were 'inspired' by pre-existing religious instruction.
Now who's playing semantics?

Whatever Homeworld does, it's not a 1:1 application of real-world religions. It strikes me as far more "inspiration" than retelling.

The terran campaign of the original StarCraft takes inspiration from the US Civil War. That doesn't make it a retelling, even if names and places are literally taken from it (the Confederacy experiences its death knell at the Battle of New Gettysburg for instance).