One-handed Games

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Fallout 1 & 2 and Tactics are half price on GOG. The first and second are turn based RPGs while Tactics is more of a strategy game. You may have heard of them.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/fallout
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/fallout_2
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/fallout_tactics

meelooteen

Apr 8, 2010
If, God forbid, a similar thing happened to me, I'd be buying a Wii balance board and mapping it to keyboard controls so i can WASD with my feet
http://lifehacker.com/5042254/operate-your-computer-with-wii-controllers

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Pokemon.

Seriously, it's highly competitive and you really don't need AND hands to play it (In theory anyway).

panzertank83

Jan 8, 2011
I used to play Final Fantasy Tactics on my ps2 using the dvd remote.
It's one of the best games ever, you can easily sink your whole summer into it, and it's super one hand friendly.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Freelancer for the most part is a purely mouse controlled game. I fucking loved the control scheme/that game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
eatenbyagrue said:
more like:

Sorry, cant'resist.

If you like CCGs, Any of the DotP games can more or less be done one-handed. You will probably need to navigate with the keyboard (It's soooo slow with the mouse only), but you can swap because it's not real time.

Also, I'd be shocked if nobody mentioned Plants vs Zombies, a game I frequently play while doing something else. I have it on basically every device I own. If I could install it on my microwave, I would.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Recommending Visual Novels of any kind for obvious reasons. Specifically i'll say Katawa Shoujo because you literally have to make some choices and experience the immense feels the game gives you.

Left click for feels ;_;

I don't know whether to recommend Hanako's route first or last... First because it is AWESOME but perhaps better last because it killed all hopes of my finishing the other routes... See if I help the other girls it means i'm not helping Hanako. That's like a crime against nature. Shame on you.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
It's something I often wish for at dinnertime, since there's nothing on TV. It's pretty hard to play & eat when both PCs & Consoles demand two-handed play.

Well, I haven't played them in 2 years, but I think the Diablo & Balder's gate series were all mouse. I've played the The Aveyond Series with just WASD & Space keys, but I think you can use the arrow keys too. There's the original Fairway Solitaire by Gray Alien Games (more fun than it has any right to be). I think the Kings Quest remakes by AGD Interactive & Yugioh/Pokemon TCG Online can by played with just a mouse. Any old Sierra point & click game. (I can't vouch for it, but they may not work on Windows XP-8 & you'd need to use something called DOS Box).

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Hmm, easiest way seems to be to go down my steam list:

Age of Wonders/Age of wonders 2 (If you like HoMaM3 then you'll probably like this series, it's a similar thing)

BloodBowl (turn based, american football parody (but nothing like American football) with fantasy races, 8 turns a half and bloodthirstiness is encouraged)

Civilisation V + Gods and kings expansion + soon to be out "brave new world" expansion (hours and hours of gameplay right here if you like the game)

Command and conquer (various in the series). Should be okay with just a mouse, cant recall anything that *needs* hotkeys, I certainly didn't use any [edit: Not Red Alert 3, not Command and conquer 4, skip both of those. Bad reputation and some of the things are fiddly]

Dawn of War 1, Winter Assault expansion, Dark crusade standalone expansion, dont get the soulstorm expansion as it's crud. Dawn of war 2 requires a bit more micromanagement even for the campaign because it's unit based so skip that and it's expansion too. (Dawn of War series is a Warhammer 40k RTS)

Don't starve ("The game's goal is surviving for the longest time, while avoiding starvation, insanity, and hostile enemies. The player can collect and craft a variety of tools and items as well as build various structures to aid in surviving.")

Dungeons of Dredmor (Roguelike, dungeoncrawler with RPG elements. It's tile movement based, one square/attack per turn, whatever you call that (isometric?). Abilities are activated by clicking and because it's turn based there's no timer.

Frozen Synapse (Hardcore tactical game. "players plan their moves at their leisure and turns are resolved simultaneously. Players attempt to win by giving orders to a small squad of armed combatants, most commonly with the goal of eliminating all enemy units." You plan by giving orders then simulating your turn and it will work out what will happen if you do what you just told it. If you like the outcome then you lock it in and when the enemy has locked in their turn it shows what actually happened [e.g.in you simulation the enemy went one way but in the enemy's orders they told the unit to go the other way])

Faster than Light (roguelike, spaceship game, you've probably heard of this one already?)

X-Com Enemy unknown (turn based)

Hope that helped give you some ideas and I haven't just listed ones you've already thought of :D

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
Was looking at GOG.com and found this: http://www.gog.com/mix/best_played_with_mouse_in_one_hand_beer_in_the_other
Games playable with one hand, while you use the other for beer! You might have to contruct a cupholder on your left arm for these games to work, but I'd say it's worth it. Many on the list have been mentioned in this thread already.

Good luck with your recovery, by the way. :)

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Did no-one suggest SpaceChem? SpaceChem is fun.

Also a mouse with extra buttons isn't as expensive as you might think.
Lets put it this way, if you can afford Bioshock Infinite then you can probably afford my favourite mouse ever [http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI] at $50 (probably less if you looked around). and get 3 'extra' buttons and the ability to program all 10 of the mouses total buttons.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
A friend has had her left arm amputated a year and a half ago, she's been playing a lot of guildwars lately. So it's definitely possible to be an active gamer still. I'll ask her for some tips when I speak to her next.

zzkill

Nov 12, 2012
If you are into long strategy games, Europa Universalis 3 and Hearts of Iron 3 are good historic RTS games. Definetly long and complex. The first is from 1399 to 1850 and the second is in WW2, just a few years before. Of course, you can adjust the starting point to any year between those limits and choose any country that existed at the moment, no matter how small. They require only the mouse and maybe the space bar for pause, but it can be managed with one hand. Also, the player manages the diplomacy, economics, infrastructure and army deployment, the battles themselves are all auto-resolve unlike other games like Medieval Total War.

Good luck with the recovery, I had my arm broken at the start of summer break when I was 8, "it sucks" doesn't even start to describe it. But I had it mostly easy.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
eatenbyagrue said:
What I'm asking for then, is for games I can reasonably play with just my right hand. I've been playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3 for a few weeks now, but I'm gonna have an opportunity to get new games next week. Any suggestions?
How about Heroes 6? It improves a lot on pretty much everything that was good about 3. I loved 3, and I really like 6 as well. Also Risk Factions is a pretty fun little timesink, as are the two first Fallout games. If you have the time/inclination/money for it, WoW can easily be played with mouse only, although you will probably struggle with the tempo if PvP is your thing. World of Goo is also great fun.