One Million Playing Black Ops on Xbox Live This Morning

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
One Million Playing Black Ops on Xbox Live This Morning

A whole bunch of gamers jumped onto Xbox Live as soon as they got home from a Black Ops midnight event.

Treyarch's community manager Josh Olin must have been closely monitoring everything regarding the Call of Duty Black Ops launch last night. It is definitely the community manager's job to keep his finger on the pulse of his company's latest release. So when he casually mentions on Twitter that he's received reports that more than a million people are playing Black Ops on Xbox Live, you better pay attention.

"Am I getting solid intel? Is there really almost 1,000,000 players on Xbox LIVE right now?? #CODBlackOps #Launch," Olin's Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/JD_2020/status/1928673607286784] feed read at 1am Pacific Time this morning.

That means that the game went Platinum last night, which was to be expected, but for it to have 1 million concurrent users on Xbox Live is quite an achievement. There was no word as to how many people were playing Black Ops over the PlayStation Network or if that included players who were merely playing the campaign. Taking all that into account, it's possible that Black Ops had a fantastic launch.

Of course, it's nowhere near as successful as GameStop predicting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96054-Did-Modern-Warfare-2-Sell-7-Million-Copies-in-One-Day] that Black Ops would outsell Infinity Ward's Call of Duty offering last year.

I'm not going to pass judgement until more official numbers are announced, but it is at least clear that Black Ops is doing better than Medal of Honor did. Take that, EA! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103726-EA-Medal-of-Honor-Will-Overtake-Call-of-Duty]

Source: Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/JD_2020/status/1928673607286784]

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That's quite a fuckton.

While I will personally not be buying the game (I've given my reasons before, too lazy to restate them), I do hope everyone else a good game to play with.

And that's still a fuckton.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
It's amazing what media hype can do. Their marketing people are (I think both) very lucky or very good.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I just played it for an hour. So far I like it, but there have been a few things that need tweaking....

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Playing online right now.

So far I'm loving it. Easily one of the best shooters I've played in a long time.

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
When I was going to my dormroom last night, it seemed that every other room i walked by was playing that game.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
You're forgetting the PS3! I'm sure alot of people bought the game for that system!

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
1,000,000 million people just played the essential distillation of FPS stagnation. Bravo to you all.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
DannibalG36 said:
1,000,000 million people just played the essential distillation of FPS stagnation. Bravo to you all.
And just where were FPSes going before the spike in popularity? Lets face it, its ALWAYS been a stagnant genre that boils down to what mechanics you like the best. Theres only SO much you can do with guns, monsters, and story. I dislike the general attitude of people who say things like this. We get that its not a Dues Ex, but even back in the age of Deus Ex, most games weren't... Deus Ex...

Its fine to hate a game, but its not fine to assume the game is bad without playing it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ehh I'll get around to Black Ops eventually
seems like Treyarch actually put something into crafting the campaign experience so I can appreciate that

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
With no server crashes? That is what's impressive. I'm more interested about next years' release from I.W. Will it be of the standard fans have come to expect from COD after the s@$# hit the fan?

Yostbeef

Apr 14, 2010
Wow! I wonder how many people cut work or class for this game.

You know I was all geared up to get it today until a realization came to me while I was sitting at my desk.I really don't want to go buy this right now.While I do plan on getting it eventually it's just not a game that I'm interested in playing right now other than to play with my friends,which consist of about four and a half people.So I decided to buy a game that I've been wanting to get my hands on for a while now "Amnesia:Dark Descent."

While I'm sure Black ops is a descent game it's more of a spectacle than an experience to me and I'm kinda glad I didn't get sucked into.Although I am feeling a little bitter that so many people bask in the spectacle of what I consider to be an average game at best. I wish I was still 16 that's when everything was amazing to me.I'm glad I've bought Amnesia today I need something to relieve my constipation and I've been dying to play a good horror game.I hear Amnesia delivers on both those needs.Make no mistake though I will be pwning some noobs in black ops shortly.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
DannibalG36 said:
This from someone with a Halo avatar.

*Slow clap*

OT: Doesn't really surprise. COD was never my cup of tea though.

darkdots

Oct 8, 2010
Someone brought a console over one day. We plugged it in, and it's just so narrow (Limited view. Limited controls). /ugh. PC is so much better. I know Intel jacked the prices of the processors up, and DSL is a pain to pay for, but once the economy get's better maybe they make WoW2, EQ3, GW2, and Final Fantasy 65,777.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Treyarch's community manager Josh Olin

"Is there really almost 1,000,000 players on Xbox LIVE right now??"
Really? This guy is community manager for Treyarch and he comes out with grammatical heresy like this?

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
I watched my brother play two levels of it last night. Looks like they've actually done something different with the Campaign for a CoD game.

I think I'll pick it up on friday once I get paid. I always prefer the Treyarch CoD games.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
BlindMessiah94 said:
DannibalG36 said:
This from someone with a Halo avatar.

*Slow clap*

OT: Doesn't really surprise. COD was never my cup of tea though.
Of course I have a Halo avatar, for the same reason that other people have Gordon Freeman or Commander Shepard avatars: we love FUCKING GOOD GAMES and the characters in said FUCKING GOOD GAMES.