Online Gaming Study Suggests Internet Sucks Globally

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
I'm taking this with a grain of salt because it was done by Pando and I've had bad experiences with them trying to download games that use their system.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
My country - New Zealand - is getting fiber-optic cables laid sometime next year. It should unfuck our status on the global scene.

The rest of the world (read: not South Korea, Japan etc) really needs to catch up with available technology, though. The Internet is the most important information retrieval and communication tool in the world... but upgrading connection speeds requires upgrading entire infrastructures, which is a hugely time-consuming and costly process.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
[http://www.speedtest.net]

Honestly, it's better than Dial-Up. This is what I live with. You people should stop complaining :p.

I'm also capped at 200 MB/24 hours. Going over that limits drops my speeds to nil for the next 24/h. Fun, huh?

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
This is my result (Sweden, paying 300kr aka 47$, ´unlimited)

And I got 100/100mbit at my fathers place and my mothers boyfriend is getting 1gbp/s soon.

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
Kagobin said:
I didnt use any measurement provided in the article.

And I don't have a cap, either. I have never hit one, in my many weeks of downloading 10GB+ files, or streaming video, or playing games.

Also, according to Pingtest.net, I have an 88 percent packet loss. I pinged my router from my PC, and it came up 0. I got my ISP to ping my modem, also 0. I think Pingtest just hates me.
Divide those numbers by 8 to convert them into megabytes, times by 1024 to convert into kilobytes. I use Comcast as well, and they have a 250 GB monthly bandwidth cap from my experience with them.

I enjoy a 2.5+ megabyte/s down, .5+ megabyte/s up connection, so I beat the average South Korean by a healthy margin, this pleases me.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Wow, I hate you all even more than before :p. I'm lucky to pull 3mbps during times when few others are using it. Primetime? 0.50mbps if I'm really lucky.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
elcher said:
Quiotu said:
What the hell happened in Eastern Europe to give them such awesome internet speeds??

Romania, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Latvia... all hovering between Japan and South Korea for fastest speeds. Someone explain that to me.
No idea bro, i originally stem from Rumania which is a backward-ass shitty country that is poor as all hell.

EVERYONE is CONSTANTLY downloading something or other through an "illegal" national torrent network though - dunno how that works but it does LOL.
I work at a F2P game company, something Pando showed us recently is that Romania has baller internet.

People download our entire games in minutes.

The rest of the world sends in DQA's complaining about how slow the downloads are :p.

El Luck said:
I'm taking this with a grain of salt because it was done by Pando and I've had bad experiences with them trying to download games that use their system.
See! This is an example of someone who doesn't live in Romania.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
teqrevisited said:
CrystalShadow said:
I was surprised by mentions of virgin media being that bad. I guess it's very much down to regional infrastructure.

I have virgin cable broadband, and unlike just about anyone I know using DSL, I actually get my advertised download speeds. (10 megabits).

So... Interesting to hear you'd have such a bad experience with the same ISP, while every time I talk to anyone locally with a different ISP, they never seem to get what they're told they will, while I do.

so... I get 10 megabits/second... (but that's about 1.2 megabytes per second).

Alright... What is dragging down the average so much? I must be in an unusually good area. XD
Oh the speed was fine. We were on the 20Mbit line, which came out roughly as 2.4Mbytes and it rarely dropped below 1.4, but the packet loss made every single online game unplayable and nobody could understand a word I said on any voice chat program.
Ah. That's a different problem. Don't have that one either, but I guess the line quality where you lived must've been pretty bad then.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
In my opinion, a connection is good if it can download a 1080p youtube video faster than it plays. My home connection is not good... :(

Also, I think every article and post pertaining to internet speeds should come with an explanation of the difference between bits and bytes. Either that, or ISPs should be legally required to use bytes like every other technology company in the world.

RazielXT said:
Well, Slovakia here, I have 11mbps home and its considered low compared to other ISPs, no worries though as I am on college so we have as much speed as it physically goes (100mbps, upgrade to 1gbps in progress)

I just stared at that impossibly high number for several seconds before violently gesticulating in rage and envy.

I hate you.

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
Hey, maybe our Canadian ISP's will finally do the right thing and upgrade so we can compete with ROMANIA (I guess it makes sense with the new infrastructure, but I still can't get over it).

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Having used the internet in both Bulgaria and Romania, I am forced to question how they reached these numbers. No one (that I knew) in either country had a connection that even began to approach my Fios account in the States.

Havok2099

Aug 24, 2011
:| I live in Canada and have slower internet than people in Bolivia, god damn it satelite internet.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Weird to see Romania, Lithuania, Bulgaria and Latvia over my dear Sweden. We're pretty damn big on internet here, and we have the highest wireless internet speeds in the world. Still,I don't have that great internet, let's see here...

That's wireless, and it's low for Sweden.

Oh, and I doubt that this study is that scientific or widely researched.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Take that Blizzard, Ubisoft, and anyone else who tries to tell you that everyone has access to fast, reliable net so it's no big deal to implement an always-online policy.

Jimi Bove

Jan 29, 2011
AT&T sucks; what else is new. 'Twas never a good idea to let one capitalist corporation rule most of the world's internet.

In other news, WHY THE FUCK AM I ABOVE AMERICA'S AVERAGE WHEN I'M LIVING DEEP IN A FOREST PAYING $120/MONTH FOR 5 MEGABITS? I'VE BEEN LED TO BELIEVE THAT CITY DWELLERS ALL GET 22+ MEGABITS FOR 20-ISH BUCKS A MONTH. SHAME ON YOU, AMERICA.