Online Kombat

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
cleric of the order said:
>kotaku.
Right, right people use that site still.
huh, I actually give more fucks about that then the gay char, weird.
Yes Brendon, Kotaku gets 15.5 million unique visitors per month. You can say "people use that site still", if you must be condescending. Bear in mind that's about 13 more times the traffic The Escapist gets, though (1.2 million).

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Wuvlycuddles said:
Briantb said:
I thought there was a transexual character in street fighter?
You mean Poison? She was from Final Fight aaand I **think** she was only transsexual as a response to a moral panic over beating up women in a beat em up, this was apparently worse and was ultimately cut (no pun intended).
Nah, poison is still trans, but whether she's pre-op (japan) or post-op (everywhere else) is determined by localisation.

But, yes, her origin was to deflect Americans uncomfortable beating up a woman (ignoring the fact she's a combatant and trying to kill you) by saying she was 'a man' so it would totally be ok to beat up a trans woman instead.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Wait what? This is a thing now? I mean, I know the scene and the dialogue, I just went "oh, so he swings the other way but he gets accepted for it. Can't believe I say this, but kudos MK X. Now can I get back to breaking bones and organs?" and just went on playing. Why in cerberus's nine balls is this a controversy? Jeesus ... sometimes I'm glad I canceled all news subscriptions and disconected all my social media profiles. Ignorance is a bliss these days.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I didn't know a character in MKX was gay which means it was handled with more class and tact that anything Bioware has recently released.

Bioware uses sexuality as a selling point in their recent games rather than an anecdotal unimportant character trait that sexuality actually is.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
I don't give a fuck.

No seriously, I didn't even know characters in fighting games had specific sexualities. oO.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
erttheking said:
I've got mixed feelings on the whole tokenism debate. On the one hand, I would like to see more fleshing out of a character dealing with their sexuality. On the other hand...do they always need to? I mean there are black characters in fighting games and they don't exactly flesh out their race and any experiences related to their race. Why not just let them have a gay character who just happens to be gay, end of story? We have plenty of characters who just happen to be heterosexual, end of story, why not the other way around?
A lot of the guys are doing it for their family or to impress a lady as well, so they aren't just heterosexual end of story, but it's such a common motivation that we don't think about it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Daymo said:
erttheking said:
I've got mixed feelings on the whole tokenism debate. On the one hand, I would like to see more fleshing out of a character dealing with their sexuality. On the other hand...do they always need to? I mean there are black characters in fighting games and they don't exactly flesh out their race and any experiences related to their race. Why not just let them have a gay character who just happens to be gay, end of story? We have plenty of characters who just happen to be heterosexual, end of story, why not the other way around?
A lot of the guys are doing it for their family or to impress a lady as well, so they aren't just heterosexual end of story, but it's such a common motivation that we don't think about it.
Ok then. Just throw in a husband or boyfriend. Problem solved.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
It's relevant because Mortal Kombat is one of the few fighting games where people actually do play it just for the story and characters and not for the fighting some times. So introducing a gay character actually does have a bit of relevance

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Lightknight said:
Is he stereotypically gay? How is he identified as such in the game?
They really don't draw much attention to it. This is the only reference to it in game.
Oh yeah... I totally understand why people could be upset about how blatant that was. [/eyeroll]

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Lufia Erim said:
Guilty gear. venom. Comon guys. Gay people have been in videogames a long time. This isn't news. I'm not say anymore about the subject because i know how quote happy people are.
Maybe because we already know Guilty Gear is from Japan, the most people said "ehhh, whatever, I saw worst from Japan". Also Vemon isn't only gay, but also a children lover [if I remember right].
What would happen if you had this kind of character in MK? CHAOS!!!!!! RAGEEEEE!!!!!! CCCOOOMMEENTSSSSS!!!!! TTHHHRREEEAAADDSSSS!!!!!!

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
As far as I can tell the people who are complaining about this basically have the viewpoint of "I'm not against gay people being in games, but I don't want to actually see it." If it's a subtle bit of backstory (such as here) it's "pointless" and "the game's about fighting so who cares" and if it's actually a large part of a character's backstory or relationships (like in say Inquisition) then it's being "shoved down our throats". I'm curious as to what sort of depiction of homosexuality they'll actually be happy with.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I didn't even know about this until now. And people care? It's a fighting game character. Their sexuality is as important as their political ideology or the fact that they like cats more than dogs and vice versa. When it comes to fighting characters, what's on the outside is what matters.

whatever55

Apr 17, 2015
Briantb said:
I thought there was a transexual character in street fighter?
yep her name is poison, she was originally a futa but the japanese devs thought that was to weird for Americans so they changed her into a transsexual.
there is also a cross dresser in guilty gear named Bridget (that makes every other male character in GuiltyGear gay but Bridget himself is straight and identifies as male).
there's dan hibiki in street fighter that a lot of people suspect is gay but no hard proof.
also skull girls have some lesbians.
most fighting games are made by the japanese and the japanese give 0 fucks about this, they are much less sexually inhibited then Americans which may explain why an american fighting game getting an lgbt character sorta is considered news.
however i still don't give a fuck.

Glen Compton

May 31, 2014
Is the subtext to the comic that those two guys are domestic partners?
If not, I am disappointed...