OnLive Founder Claims "Impossible" Wireless Breakthrough

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Its a great idea, but how is he ever going to get big business behind the idea. Afterall this is good for the customer, they can't have that.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I can believe it. But only barely.

The fact is, "Shannon's Law" was made over 50 years ago. Technology has evolved hundreds of times since then. We have yet to tap into the true power we humans can harness.

I believe its possible, to an extent. While i doubt "Everyone will get 100mbs", im sure 20-60mbs are possible. That even that would be a massive step up.

RADlTZ

Nov 19, 2009
Viewing things from an objectivist point of view, I hope this lives up to what has been promissed. If its true, it will be a breakthrough powered by the game industry that has the potential to smash current communications providers out of the market (untill they find a way around/through a loophole in the patent or otherwise catch up). Although with such a monopolisation we could be charged ridiculous prices for the new tech anyway, but I have no loyalty to the crap providers are supplying now either and their prices are retarded.

Doubt it'll live up to its expectations though. And that anacronim DIDO just needs an L, which my imagination has already given it.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
ok, so can i make up anything i want to about a product that i make? these mattresses are specially designed to make your dreams magical and full of wonder!

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
theultimateend said:
He's probably telling the truth. Financially there is no benefit to lying in this manner, he runs a business, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If you want to make money you say you have MORE restrictions not less.

That's how you trick folks.
This.

All we can do know if hope cell phone and service providers don't try to stop it.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Jabberwock xeno said:
theultimateend said:
He's probably telling the truth. Financially there is no benefit to lying in this manner, he runs a business, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If you want to make money you say you have MORE restrictions not less.

That's how you trick folks.
This.

All we can do know if hope cell phone and service providers don't try to stop it.
Those that make cellphone will sure not try to stop it, for such network basically mean hardline phone lines are gonna join the telegraph, due to such wireless network been good enough to fully replace the wired one, so they will sell even more cellphones.

The service provider on the other hand might react like a fossil fuel company would to the discovery of cold fusion.

EDIT: The post acted oddly and had part of a post I cancelled, so deleted that part, thing back in order now, sorry if my post confused anyone at first.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
The physics say you can only have a certain amount of bandwidth on a single signal.

They don't say you can't have multiple signals.

That's probably what 'distributed' means. So if instead of one receiver and one sender, you have a hundred receivers and a hundred senders, but you put all the receivers in one box, and all the senders in another box... so long as you've got the computing power to handle all the input and output (which we certainly do), you're going to have increased bandwidth by 100X.

Science never claimed you can't do that.

Sep 14, 2009
JMeganSnow said:
gmaverick019 said:
JMeganSnow said:
It sounds cool. However, I still refuse to get a cell phone.
refuse to get a cell phone...?

where do you live and why do you refuse to get a cell phone...

hell 80% of the people i know don't have home phones anymore because they only have a cell..
Where I live has nothing to do with why I refuse to get a cell phone. I don't have or want one because I refuse to interact with people whenever it happens to enter their tiny brains that they know my number. So why should I have an expensive device to carry around when I'd never voluntarily answer it? If I'm going somewhere and I feel the need for portable entertainment, I bring a book. I'm capable of keeping track of my appointments myself. I have no children that require supervision.

If I actually needed to be in touch with people on short notice, I'd probably get a cell phone. But I don't. So I won't.
oh i was just curious if it was a regional thing in your area where people don't have cell phones or if might have been just you, but you have your reasons and i was just curious i suppose, i see you get annoyed by unnecessary social interactions more than the average person..

and out of all the people i know, i don't know a single one who actually uses the calender function of the cell phone, and most people i know have an itouch or a psp for "portable entertainment", rather than using their phone.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Cronq said:
I got $50 bet that AT&T and Comcast join up to buy these guys out and take that new invention and put it on the first rocket to the Sun.
I don't quite think so. They'd probably buy license to use it if anything, as it would be a MUCH cheaper infrastructure to operate.

Mar 29, 2008
If this isn't bs this is more proof that Physics/Math need to take a lesson from Chemistry & Biology.

Physics observes an action/force and before they even know what causes the action they have a new law.

Bio still claims the idea of living tissue utilizing dna & cells as theory instead of law.

Chemistry's entire basis, that atoms exist is still "theory."

The problem here is that the term law is so loosely bandied about by physicists that real science is either discouraged (because it must be impossible the law says so) or has to constantly redefine "laws."

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
Inrigued. Very intrigued. I'm not going to pretend like I understand all the science behind it, but from I DID understand, I'm impressed. Something I'll be keeping my eye on.

EDIT

kouriichi said:
I can believe it. But only barely.

The fact is, "Shannon's Law" was made over 50 years ago. Technology has evolved hundreds of times since then. We have yet to tap into the true power we humans can harness.

I believe its possible, to an extent. While i doubt "Everyone will get 100mbs", im sure 20-60mbs are possible. That even that would be a massive step up.
You might want to check the internet speeds in Japan. They are much, MUCH faster than Europe/USA.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Man this is a nice bit of tech he claims. Must doubt till I see it in action. But want believe..... grahh.

So they could apply this tech to the internet, thus giving us insanely fast speeds right. Cause even though I have high speed... well half the pages usually don't load. But I don't pay for it so I live with it. I want super internet dammit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Veloxe said:
I don't claim to understand what he's talking about, but I know science changes and "impossible" today is the regular of tomorrow.
Thats not really true; many physical barriers are longstanding and have no indication of breaking. And since science rarely deals in "impossibility," at least as far as credible science goes, it's hard to hold that these things are the regular of tomorrow.

As it is, I await proof of this concept in action, mostly because I think it's the easiest way to see whether he's done the "impossible" or not.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
As far as i understand he didn't break any laws of physics and The Escapist should remove that mention from this article.

All he does is go -around- the problem. I.e. you cant go faster than light, except if you move space (aka Alcubierre Drive).

The maximum transmission problem has to do with frequencies of binary data transmission on one band, and if i understand his claim correctly, he just proposed distributing the bandwidth onto several bands.

This would be the same principle as cloud-computing in general.
There is no single one-core (silicon) processor in the world capable to reach petaFLOPS, and never will be - its physically impossible, but supercomputers do reach petaFLOPS through distributed computing of thousands of processors.

What he proposes is, simplified, a dual/quad/hex-core just for WiFi and not processors.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
"Impossible" just means people haven't figured out how to do it yet. I'm very careful in using that word, simply because what was impossible yesterday is reality today. "Improbable" is a much better word. I find it very improbable that this DIDO technology will do all that is being claimed. That said, I certainly can hope it's true. Bandwidth is becoming a huge problem for cellular networks, with the explosion of the smartphone. Something like this would literally change the world, if it turns out to be true.

That said, it sounds a hell of a lot like some kind of science fiction sub-space radio stuff, straight out of Star Trek. I'll not hold my breath.

daltonlaffs

Nov 17, 2009
kouriichi said:
This is exactly the heart of the issue. We're claiming that this is "impossible" because it violates a law that was invented more than 25 years before the first cell phone. Radio was great and all, but show me whoever came up with and tested that law, and let's see how qualified they are to even comprehend the advances in wireless technology since, let alone technology in general. Their old methods and assumptions are inferior.

And yeah, MIMO (a technology that already exists and which is in my own home wireless router right this second) already breaks this flimsy law to some extent.

Besides, for all we really know, maybe DIDO doesn't use the same sort of "wireless" that we've come to know. Maybe they've found another way to transmit information wirelessly besides the radio waves we rely on today.