Onyx's Surprising Top 7 Games of 2010

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I figured that if everyone else is doing this, I might as well, too!

Okay, #1 and #2 aren't surprising at all. But the rest should be! I've somehow become known as anti-Western gaming. Which is really far from the truth. I'm just against the new-found Western gaming focus on narrative.

Well, anyone who's read my Escapist profile, where I keep my "Top 5 Games of All Time" listed under Interests, can figure out my #1 and #2. The rest...may surprise you. Go ahead. Check my profile now.

[HEADING=2]Please read the words after the game name.[/HEADING]
[HEADING=1]Fable 3[/HEADING]

Like Mass Effect 2, this is another game I don't think is much of an RPG. Like Mass Effect 2, I still really enjoyed it. Absolutely all of the voice acting is good. With Ben Kingsley, Simon Pegg, JOHN MOTHERFUCKING CLEESE, and Stephen Fry on the cast, the rest had a lot to live up to. Even your hero/heroine's limited vocabulary and the random NPCs have well done VO. Unlike ManShep. (Dear Bioware, don't hire Mark Meer again for Mass Effect 3!) This game's writing is some of the best in the business, especially when it comes to humor. The first time you put on some stupid outfit and hear John Cleese's wit, you'll be trying on your entire wardrobe to see his comments. The game is/was glitchy in some spots, though. The golden trail would spawn too slowly to keep up with your pace, and John Cleese would sometimes be silent! THE HORROR! Combat is a simple affair, but gets the job done, considering that Fable appears to be targeting the "anyone can play market". Holding hands with NPCs has more of an impact than one would expect. I thought that it sounded stupid, but soon I was walking around town with my wife, enjoying the beautiful world Lionhead had created. Finally, the D&D quest was AWESOME-SAUCE.

And the economy is STILL broken as hell. But again, this game is partially meant for the casual sect, who probably wouldn't realize how utterly busted the economy can become after buying a few houses and shops.
[HEADING=1]God of War: Ghost of Sparta[/HEADING]

This PSP game is BETTER than God of War 3. That's right. BETTER. The combat is visceral and controls are spot-on, but that's to be expected with ANY God of War title. The PSP game has done more. It has made Kratos likable again. Taking place between God of War 1 and 2, it invokes sympathy for Kratos by focusing the quest on Kratos' hunt for his brother, Deimos. And even a meeting with Kratos' mother that doesn't turn out like anyone would expect. The regenerating "fire meter" adds a fantastic new dynamic to the combat, and the game is gorgeous. This PSP game looks even better than God of War 2. And they brought the "Combat Arena" over from the console games, so that after beating it, you can just beat on enemies with none of those puzzles or cutscenes!

[HEADING=1]The Sly Collection[/HEADING]

I missed a few games on the PS2. There was so much good shit on the PS2, that some slipped through the cracks. Sly Cooper was one of those, sadly.

This HD remake is perfect. The cel-shading really pops in HD. And the general art style made the environments fare much better than they should have. 3 utterly amazing games for one low price. The first is mostly a linear series of levels stuff with collectables. The second is an open world, with less collectables, and 3 playable characters. The third game is open world, with basically no collectables, and almost a dozen playable characters. Each of these games is utterly amazing, even in terms of plot and characters. Which is rare for a game targeted at younger children. These games are great for all ages, and any gamer-parent with a PS3 should pick this up as an effort to get their kid into gaming.

The 2 easy Platinum trophies (Sly 1 and 2) don't hurt the deal, either!
[HEADING=1]Mass Effect 2[/HEADING]

For all the venom I spit at Mass Effect 2 for dumbing itself down so damn much, it truly is a fantastic game. What else is there to say? I can see why this is many people's GOTY. Also, this:
[HEADING=1]Assassin's Creed: Brofist[/HEADING]

Well, when you call the Assassins, Ezio makes a fist. GET IT?!

No, really. This game improves everything from AC2, at least in gameplay. The story is still awesome, but not as emotional, since Ezio is already bad-ass man at the start. And they still use gigantic cliffhanger ending bullshit. Poison can now actually be used as a distraction thanks to Poison Darts, though.You can kick to break an enemy's guard. You have kill-streaks for extra bad-ass factor, clearing a fight in seconds. You can customize the quick select d-pad now! YEEEEEES! No more accidental medicine usage You can replay missions from the DNA menu! The crossbow is a one-hit kill stealth death machine. The pistol can be used while the sword is equipped by holding attack to aim it. All of these new options and powers lead to a PATHETICALLY easy game, though. You don't even need the counter-attacks anymore! So, the Sync challenges for each mission are the only way you'll get any sort of challenge from the game. Things like time limits, take no damage, use only a certain weapon, etc. And your sister and mother play a greater role, no longer sitting on the sidelines forever. Which is nice, because I have a kinda video-game-crush on Claudia for some reason.

Like in Fable 3, the economy is still broken. Unlike Fable, this game has no "casual market" excuse. Hell, it's even MORE broken. You don't have to go home to get the money now. Just visit one of the 10 banks around the city!

Add the innovative, and I don't use that word loosely, multiplayer...And you've got one hell of a game!

AND I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT MY GLITCHED TROPHIES! I beat the Catacombs, I beat Sequence 3, I killed a guard with a broom, and I renovated 5 buildings in the Antico district!
[HEADING=1]Vanquish[/HEADING]

Poor, poor Vanquish. Launching on THE SAME DAY as New Vegas. I loved you, baby. I beat you 3 times is 2 days. Normal, then Casual Auto for the "Beat the Game with No Deaths" trophy. And then Hard mode. You had me wrapped around your fast-paced little finger. You would have been my first Platinum trophy if you weren't so evil with the Challenge Mode missions. That weekend, I beat you a fourth time, going for all of your collectibles.

Vanquish is short. But this is the kind of game you can play again and again. It's cutscenes are entertaining, but skipabble, full of crazy shit and witty one-liners. The plot is batshit, and Russia is the bad guy. So, those looking for narrative are going to be disappointed until the end. When the game pulls a huge twist and makes you question who the real villains are.

If you like an adreneline rush from your action games, don't let this pass you by! This is as intense and action-packed as shooters get. It makes Call of Duty look tame by comparison. And I love CoD.

Look at this sniping mission, the only slow part in the entire game, as Sam compliments himself!

NICE SHOT, SAM!
[HEADING=1]Bayonetta[/HEADING]

Just read this. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.169199-Onyx-Oblivions-Hypnotic-Review-of-Sarah-Pal-errr-Bayonetta]

DON'T POST IN IT, THOUGH! Keep it dead and buried.

It turns out that I was right. I had found my GOTY already back way then in early/mid January 2010.

And Persona 3 Portable would be on the list, but I haven't finished it, and putting a game I haven't finished on this list would feel...wrong. And Fallout: New Vegas and Red Dead Redemption just bored the living shit out of me, to the point of me not finishing them. Quit New Vegas at Novac, Red Dead at the end of the Mexico missions. But who cares?

BIIIIIIIIIIIIG IIIIIIIIIROOOOOOOON!

Fits both New Vegas AND Red Dead doesn't it?

Other games that didn't make it, but I still enjoyed immensely:
Metro 2033
Alan Wake
Just Cause 2
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Final Fantasy XIII
God of War 3
Halo: Reach
Heart Gold & Soul Silver
Professor Layton & The Unwound Future
Black Ops
Super Street Fighter 4
Blazblue: Continuum Shift
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
Heavy Rain
Mafia 2

Yeah. My interests cover a variety of game genres...I'm well aware.

Thanks to Pearl Jam, for the awesome music while I typed this up this morning! Specifically, "Vs."

[HEADING=1]Were you surprised by any of my choices?[/HEADING]

Edit: It seems not. Not even Ghost of Sparta shocked anyone.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
No. Not surprised at all.

I called Bayonetta and Vanquish as soon as I entered, just like most people familiar with me call Black Ops and Heavy Rain.

And, really, not that I disagree (although I will never play Bayonetta because it is a game that doesn't appeal ti me whatsoever). It's a solid list, although your honorable mentions are mostly the games I enjoy much more.

There is one, ONE complaint about the list. And it goes like this.

Onyx Oblivion said:
(Dear Bioware, don't hire Mark Meer again for Mass Effect 3!)
I believe that Mark Meer is great and outplays Jennifer Hale by a mile. I absolutely can't understand the amount of hatred he gets.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
(Dear Bioware, don't hire Mark Meer again for Mass Effect 3!)
I believe that Mark Meer is great and outplays Jennifer Hale by a mile. I absolutely can't understand the amount of hatred he gets.
He does his job, but maybe I'm not playing him right. I hear he's better as a Renegade.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
He does his job, but maybe I'm not playing him right. I hear he's better as a Renegade.
"How about "goodbye?""

Well, yeah, probably, seeing how I play as a Paragon-Renegade mixture that always comes out 80% Paragon for some reason (i.e., play as myself), I get to hear his more badass dialogue.

And come on.

Great voice acting right there.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
"How about "goodbye?""

Well, yeah, probably, seeing how I play as a Paragon-Renegade mixture that always comes out 80% Paragon for some reason (i.e., play as myself), I get to hear his more badass dialogue.

And come on.

Great voice acting right there.
I hope that bites him in the ass in Mass Effect 3, and all the store gang up on him for lying and triple their prices or something.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Ooh ooh! I am playing the Sly collection! It is great! I am probably going to continue playing tonight. I got sidetracked by an awesome little game not on your list, Costume Quest. If you like Halloween at all, you should try it Onyx, I think you will love it. It's clever, fun and yes, cute.

I will have to check out Vanquish. I haven't yet.

As to surprises, most of those games have been in your PSN status, so not too much, but... I don't remember seeing Vanquish talk, since I was deep into New Vegas when you were playing that.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
meganmeave said:
As to surprises, most of those games have been in your PSN status, so not too much, but... I don't remember seeing Vanquish talk, since I was deep into New Vegas when you were playing that.
PEOPLE READ THAT THING?! I edit it for my own amusement.

And their was Vanquish talk.

Basically this:

"Vanquish. GET IT!"

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Sneaklemming said:
Hmm very consistent tbh. A very console centric roundup.
Get me a gaming PC, and you'd likely see...nothing change. Maybe Metro 2033 would have made it on the list at #7. But that's it. Recettear was considered, but I never finished it.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
meganmeave said:
PEOPLE READ THAT THING?! I edit it for my own amusement.

And their was Vanquish talk.

Basically this:

"Vanquish. GET IT!"
Well, yes silly. When I look to see who is online it shows a little speech bubble next to your name with that in it.

Yours are the best, because they change all the time.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I wasn't too surprised to see Vanquish, since I could tell you loved it as you tossed between that and Bayonetta being your GOTY. I was also not surprised to see Sly collection, since you sent me a Playstation Message commanding me to get it. At the time of you sending it, the Sly collection was not out. That or I couldn't find it.

And Mass Effect 2 is yet again on a "Best games of 2010" list. Looks like I may have to buy it when it comes on PS3 in a few weeks.

Calumon: That bald person's eyes look silly! XD

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I don't mind Mark Meer at all personally, however there were some moments when I felt like punching someone because of how a line sounded because of his voice. I kinda expected some of your choices, although I would of thought you would have FF13 in your list.

Anyway, interesting list!

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
meganmeave said:
Well, yes silly. When I look to see who is online it shows a little speech bubble next to your name with that in it.

:)

Yay!

I had the "Angel>>Buffy>>Firefly" one on for a week straight, though.

Jack and Calumon said:
And Mass Effect 2 is yet again on a "Best games of 2010" list. Looks like I may have to buy it when it comes on PS3 in a few weeks.

Calumon: That bald person's eyes look silly! XD
Get Mass Effect 2, you'll probably enjoy it. Seems up your alley.

@Calumon:

That Kratos still for the Youtube video is odd, isn't it?

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
meganmeave said:

:)

Yay!

I had the "Angel>>Buffy>>Firefly" one on for a week straight, though.
That was probably my favorite. Though, it is obviously messed up and I think you meant to type it this way "Angel<<Buffy<<Firefly"

;)

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
meganmeave said:
That was probably my favorite. Though, it is obviously messed up and I think you meant to type it this way "Angel<<Buffy<<Firefly"

;)
Naw.

Firefly doesn't have enough under it's belt thanks to cancellation to get the depth that Buffy and Angel have. If it had gone on longer, it might have overcome.

And Angel is a lot like Buffy, minus all the boring relationship crap. It's still there, just much less of it! THANK GOD FOR THAT!

And it has Wesley. Fucking love Wesley.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Flamezdudes said:
although I would of thought you would have FF13 in your list.
I thought so too. I really thought that I'd end up putting it on the list.

RAKtheUndead said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
[HEADING=1]Bayonetta[/HEADING]
This makes me want to cry. Bayonetta is the game I consider the most harmful to the video gaming industry since E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and that anyone could consider it a Game of the Year is not a reassuring thought.
How is it bad for the industry?

Is gaming supposed to evolve SOLELY into immersive, narrative driven games like Red Dead and Mass Effect and Metro?

Is there no room for crazy shit in your gaming world?

Anyway, I bought it for the combat. Not the sex. I find Bayonetta unattractive, personally.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Naw.

Firefly doesn't have enough under it's belt thanks to cancellation to get the depth that Buffy and Angel have. If it had gone on longer, it might have overcome.

And Angel is a lot like Buffy, minus all the boring relationship crap. It's still there, just much less of it! THANK GOD FOR THAT!

And it has Wesley. Fucking love Wesley.
Oh man, I hated the relationship stuff in Angel. Angel/Cordelia - icky poo. And the whole love triangle thing with Wesley, Gunn and Fred. Sooo annoying. If Angel didn't have that crap, you are right, it would have been better than Buffy, since Wolfram and Hart was one of the best things to happen to the Buffyverse.

And to top off the disgusting, Connor and Cordelia? Ugh.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
A very nice list, the only one that surprised me was Vanquish not being your GoTY. I thought that would be number one when I clicked onto this.

As for the top 7 list, I've only played Fable III[footnote]I've got a demo of Vanquish but I haven't played it yet. :p[/footnote] and I'm unsure about whether or not I like it. It's a hard game to judge as it is fun, even more so with two people, but it also feels like more of the same to me. And as far as I'm concerned, the hand-holding system can go die in a horrible, fiery ditch. It's bugged on my copy, plus it just feels like it was put in to annoy the crap out of me. ¬¬ But I will say that Fable III has some of the best voice acting of any game. Simon Pegg, John Cleese, Stephen Fry, Bernard Hill and Sir Ben Kingsley? I do believe I just had a trouser accident.

As for why I've not played the others, I only have a 360 so no God Of War or Sly Cooper for me, I'm never been that interested in the ME games although Lost in the Void is doing his best to convince me otherwise, nor have AssCreedBros or Bayonetta really registered on my radar. Vanquish has been sitting on the edge of it for a while though, so we'll see how the demo I've got works out.

Anyway, a good and different list, nice work.