Onyx's Surprising Top 7 Games of 2010

Jan 23, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sneaklemming said:
Hmm very consistent tbh. A very console centric roundup.
Get me a gaming PC, and you'd likely see...nothing change. Maybe Metro 2033 would have made it on the list at #7. But that's it. Recettear was considered, but I never finished it.
I imagine you are correct - the third person action adventure (which features highly on your list) is not a much loved genre on PC. The PC gaming diet is complex RPGs for starters, FPS for the main course, Strategy for desert, and the rest of the evening with an assortment of drinks and MMOs. =D

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
No surprises there, but nicely done. I really must give Vanquish another try. I quit the demo when the boss OHK'd me.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
It's okay. I've accepted that about you.
Well, isn't that nice?

I'm not a xenophobe. *angry face*

Lost In The Void said:
Well I saw Reach on your honourable mentions list

And ME2 was your GOTY, am I close?
Pretty much, yes.

Still, it's pretty weird how I haven't played any other game on your list.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Pretty much, yes.

Still, it's pretty weird how I haven't played any other game on your list.
I have a varied taste in games, even the ones on my list now could vanish in a heartbeat for some other ones I've been playing such as Limbo and Mount and Blade Warband, however since I haven't beaten them I can't count them on my list.

But ya; I'm the stereotypical arty douche though so don't feel bad, this has been a year that most AAA titles have been worth my time. BlOps hasn't yet though XD

L33tKyuubi

Jan 2, 2011
I applaud you for mentioning the Sly series. I have been a Sly fan since the first game came out and am thoroughly surprised to see as much love for the series that I am. So yay.

The rest seem pretty rational to me. Once again, I see lists like these as people's own opinions. And I respect other people's opinions. So double yay.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
DustyDrB said:
I always hear so much good about the gameplay of Bayonetta, but I couldn't bear the music in the demo. I quit after less than a minute. I might try it again some day, and just turn down the music completely at least until I like the gameplay enough to suffer through that one annoyance. But I have a feeling it's just a good game that I'm not going to be able to like.
You know the 360 has a custom soundtrack, right?

RIGHT?

You can play whatever music you want, on whatever game you want!
Bayonetta on PS3 has custom soundtrack as well.

MiracleOfSound said:
No surprises there, but nicely done. I really must give Vanquish another try. I quit the demo when the boss OHK'd me.
Vanquish isn't really that hard of a game once you get a feel for it. You should be in ARS mode (slow-mo) and sliding around a lot, just make sure not to overheat as that is when you'll get in trouble. The game doesn't require you to be a great shooter because you should be shooting in slow-mo much of the time.

RAKtheUndead said:
Keeps a genre which I believe should have died years ago alive and kicking. I don't think that third-person action games in the vein of Bayonetta are particularly good representatives for the game industry.

Also, see your avatar? That contains a major problem. That's just weird fanservice. Doesn't work. Shouldn't be a selling point of a game.

Not necessarily narrative-driven, but immersion is a major thing in my books - and Bayonetta doesn't provide that. I don't like the perspective, I don't like the character, I don't like the premise.
Wow, to write off a whole genre is just plain ridiculous. I hate almost every MMO game but I think a good one can be made as The Secret World looks really good as it does away with a lot of things I hate in MMOs. Do you want 1st-person action games then? Why is 3rd-person action so bad?

Bayonetta has, perhaps, done the most interesting stuff with witch mythology in quite a long time. I think witches can be very interesting if you just tweak some things as the standard flying on brooms and cooking in cauldrons has been done to death. A women made quite an interesting topic about Bayonetta being a role model [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.254007-Bayonetta-as-a-role-model?page=1] not to long ago because the character is actually really good. The idea of witches using their hair as clothes was just a genius idea regardless of whether it would be sexual. I was very immersed into Bayonetta's world and the plot was actually good. It was actually a great take on Hell, the human world, and Heaven as nobody was inherently good or bad but it was about keeping balance. The angels ended up being the enemies because they were trying to combine all 3 worlds into 1. And, Bayonetta has some of the best and most interesting choreographed fight scenes I've seen in years whether it be games, movies, anime, etc.

And, Bayonetta really isn't that sexual of a character, it only comes off as over-the-top and cheesy at times to match the style of the rest of the game, which is an over-the-top action game with a load of cheese (damn good cheese). She isn't overly sexual towards any of the game's characters. She comes off as sexual to the angels, who have no interest in her. Lastly, the game wasn't marketed on Bayonetta's sexiness, it was advertised as an action game. Bayonetta is basically the female version of Ash from Evil Dead. Here's the not-overly-sexual 2009 TGS trailer:

---

OT:

Nice list and my top 2 games of this year are the exact same as yours, 2010 was the year of Platinum Games. I actually think Vanquish is a less flawed game than Bayonetta but I was pulled into Bayonetta's world more, and Bayo's gameplay is a deeper. Vanquish is, by default, the best shooter this gen because 1) it's not a cover shooter (AKA glorified whack-a-mole) and 2) it's not a devolved FPS. Vanquish has by far the deepest gameplay for an offline shooter. Vanquish will be better than both Uncharted 3 (which I will love) and Gears3 just because they are cover shooters at heart, and Vanquish is playing a level that is beyond what the best cover shooter can be.

The only game I would disagree with would be AC:Brofist (LOL). I haven't played it but I really didn't think AC2 was a good game, average to above average IMO. The only thing that really interests me about it is the multiplayer. I really think the AC series should be like a combination of the Hitman series and Batman:AA and they aren't anything like that. AC1 came closest to realizing that with the story assassinations.

I only have a PS3 so I can't comment on non-PS3 games. However, I played the Mass Effect 2 demo and I was blown away by that so ME2 is probably one of the best games of 2010. I would say MAG and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit were great games in a disappointing year. I still need to play Nier, Heavy Rain, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom to have a proper best-of list for 2010.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Phoenixmgs said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
DustyDrB said:
I always hear so much good about the gameplay of Bayonetta, but I couldn't bear the music in the demo. I quit after less than a minute. I might try it again some day, and just turn down the music completely at least until I like the gameplay enough to suffer through that one annoyance. But I have a feeling it's just a good game that I'm not going to be able to like.
You know the 360 has a custom soundtrack, right?

RIGHT?

You can play whatever music you want, on whatever game you want!
How do you get it to fucking work?

It says so on the box, but it's doesn't fucking work.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
Vanquish isn't really that hard of a game once you get a feel for it. You should be in ARS mode (slow-mo) and sliding around a lot, just make sure not to overheat as that is when you'll get in trouble. The game doesn't require you to be a great shooter because you should be shooting in slow-mo much of the time.
Well, it wasn't really the difficulty I had a problem with, it was just the fact that the game had One Hit Kills in it. They drive me nuts and usually involve trial and error which I hate!

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
It's no worse than CoD on Hardened/Veteran.

Dear god. Black Ops on Hardened/Veteran has some evil, basically OHKO, moments. Like the vehicle section of "rebirth", where you can't take cover, because you are standing, pointlessly exposed, in the turret.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
No surprises in those choices, the only reasons I haven't played Bayonetta is because I suck at combo games (like badly, I execute them flawless during practice but during battle...) and it raped one of my favourite songs (There is only ONE version of Fly Me To The Moon, ONE!!!!).
If you are talking about the Brenda Lee version of that song, it's in the game. I think the Bayonetta version is damn good as well.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Dear god. Black Ops on Hardened/Veteran has some evil, basically OHKO, moments. Like the vehicle section of "rebirth", where you can't take cover, because you are standing, pointlessly exposed, in the turret.
Yeah, I've heard it's pretty bad.

I only play the IW COD games on Veteran. Treyarch ones are too frustrating.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Yeah, I've heard it's pretty bad.

I only play the IW COD games on Veteran. Treyarch ones are too frustrating.
CoD4 was just as bad as a Treyarch Veteran. Fucking One Shot, One Kill carnival defense sequence.

That said, if you did 4 on Vet, you can easily do Black Ops.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Phoenixmgs said:
Cowabungaa said:
No surprises in those choices, the only reasons I haven't played Bayonetta is because I suck at combo games (like badly, I execute them flawless during practice but during battle...) and it raped one of my favourite songs (There is only ONE version of Fly Me To The Moon, ONE!!!!).
If you are talking about the Brenda Lee version of that song, it's in the game. I think the Bayonetta version is damn good as well.
He's talking about the Frank Sinatra original, dood.

Phoenixmgs said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Phoenixmgs said:
How do you get it to fucking work?

It says so on the box, but it's doesn't fucking work.
You just use the in-game XMB while playing, select a song off the HD, and it'll play.
And that doesn't seem to work.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
CoD4 was just as bad as a Treyarch Veteran. Fucking One Shot, One Kill carnival defense sequence.

That said, if you did 4 on Vet, you can easily do Black Ops.
Yeah, I did COD4 on Vet (got 1000G in it) but honestly these days I find my will to endure hard difficulties wavering. Beating COD4 wasn't fun on Vet, I just did it to prove to myself that I could.

In fact the only game I bothered doing on the hardest difficulty this year was Mass Effect 2!

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Phoenixmgs said:
He's talking about the Frank Sinatra original, dood
Ok, I do think it makes sense to have a version done by a female vocalist for the game, and Brenda Lee does a superb job and she's from the same era as Sinatra.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Phoenixmgs said:
You just use the in-game XMB while playing, select a song off the HD, and it'll play.
And that doesn't seem to work.
It works for me with no problems. Maybe you need the patch and have to have the game installed as that's the only way I've ever played Bayonetta. I actually just started playing Bayonetta again and I've been using the custom soundtrack. I don't know what else to say.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
A few of the choices came as a bit of a shocker to men, but overall, I gotta say that the ones I played earned their spot. I'm glad to see Sly Cooper made it as well, I use to love playing those games as a kid.

aenimau5

Dec 19, 2010
agree with pretty much everything, glad to see someone else finds man Shepard annoying. havn't played vanquish although clearly the voice actor for sam was give a sheet with the word baddass written on it. also nice to see sly, played the first one but switched to xbox 360, i miss that game :(