Open Letter to Duke Nukem PR

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
"They know that this is my own opinion, based on my experience of playing the game. They can trust that my opinion is my own and not being influenced by any one person or company."
That bolded phrase right there is why I can understand how much negative press the game got. Going off the SSBB Mailbag from Yahtzee, reviews are subjective. They may be professional or amateur, but they are always subjective.

Hence, I'm not letting my own opinions be swayed by reviews for this game, since I have played it for a good four hours now, and really want the BoS version I pre-ordered.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
nexekho said:
sleeky01 said:
nexekho said:
If they begin denying reviewers copies because they don't think you'll give them a favourable review, maybe you should band together with other reviewers and blacklist THEM.
While i can agree in theory, I'm unsure how feasible that is. The different reviewer websites would have to first admit that they are being denied copies. I'm not sure if they would.
Why not? What is there to lose? You're not getting their games as review copies otherwise without bending to their will. You send a message out to their potential customers that they're deceitful and spiteful instead of pretending all is dandy.
By my understanding, websites get more prestigious ads and "pull" in the industry based on their members/daily views. When everyone goes to say Gamespot to see a review of Duke Nukem because no one else has it. Those viewings show up to help expand the company and consequently the website.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Personally, I say if a thing has earned venom, then it's not only the reviewer's right, but his/her *duty* to play the part of the serpent.

nexekho

Jan 12, 2011
jakefongloo said:
nexekho said:
sleeky01 said:
nexekho said:
If they begin denying reviewers copies because they don't think you'll give them a favourable review, maybe you should band together with other reviewers and blacklist THEM.
While i can agree in theory, I'm unsure how feasible that is. The different reviewer websites would have to first admit that they are being denied copies. I'm not sure if they would.
Why not? What is there to lose? You're not getting their games as review copies otherwise without bending to their will. You send a message out to their potential customers that they're deceitful and spiteful instead of pretending all is dandy.
By my understanding, websites get more prestigious ads and "pull" in the industry based on their members/daily views. When everyone goes to say Gamespot to see a review of Duke Nukem because no one else has it. Those viewings show up to help expand the company and consequently the website.
Sorry if I was unclear, I was referring to announcing they've been blacklisted. Banding together and boycotting is a bit silly in retrospect.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
GotMurf said:
yayforgiveaway said:
Wow acting like a snob to show that the other guy is a complete dick. How mature. Well I hope I don't get banned. We all should have right to our opinions without fear of some higher power cutting us off if it thinks otherwise, right Russ?
To be honest... I agree with this guy.
This response wasn't really needed. It just seemed petty. You could have kept your journalistic integrity without getting into a pissing contest of snark.
Just sayin'.
Oh, don't be so judgemental. Its all in good fun. Its not like Russ came out and said "Oh! Oh! So we can't have any of your games early now? Well then, from now on they get a starting rating of 0 out of 100! :p

Also I agree with yayforgiveaway too. Mostly because Russ has to agree with him too, or conrtadict himself. Ha!

Unless most people think he is just being a dick....Then all I can say is that I will miss him. :(

:) Democracy!

Doc Incognito

Currently AFK
Nov 17, 2009
instantbenz" post="6.291738.11593634 said:
I've started a slow clap.

My sentiments exactly.

Well played, Russ. One of my favorites aspects of The Escapist is the trust that we, as forum-goers, can have towards the staff. I'm glad to hear that trust so well-defended.

The Morrigan

Wharrgarble
Nov 23, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Forgive me for being rather cynical, but I lost all sense of seriousness in this letter when I read the phrase "honest press outlets". Seriously? There is no honest press anymore. Money is allowed to influence everything in this culture. The proof? If the game sucks so much, then for what reason(s) are The Escapist still allowing the ADVERTISEMENTS for the game you just heavily criticized to be displayed? I'll be damned if the top answer isn't money.
I'm a little confused... are you saying that you think that the Escapist was influenced by advertising dollars to write a negative review? Because I'm pretty sure that a game company attempting to buy a review from a site like this would not be looking for a negative one. And I'm also not sure why The Escapist should not accept ad revenue from a company for a game that the reviewer did not like; they're still a gaming site, and this is a pretty big release that many people in their key demographic would be interested in. If anything, I would see this as an indication that they are not being paid for their opinion, and that the system, at least in this instance, is working. Or am I reading you incorrectly?

The relationship between an art/entertainment form and its reviewers is always rocky (and I should know... I'm an actor *grins*), and it's very easy for one side to attack the other for behaving unfairly. My advice is twofold: 1) always, always remember that every review you read is based on opinion, which itself is based on varying levels of expertise, and 2) if you're going to pay attention to reviews, and use them to base your initial perceptions of a game, then it is your responsibility to find reviewers whose opinions you trust. If you don't believe that Russ is a reliable source of information about a game, or if you simply don't think that his taste in games and yours are compatible, then you don't have to give his reviews any credence. You can simply read them and let them roll off your back.

The problem with Mr. Redner's comments as I see it was not that he was wrong; there are certainly reviewers who abuse their positions with vitriol, as there have been throughout history and as there will be for the foreseeable future. But it is still a very subjective thing to say that this person's review was a balanced negative review while this other person's review was an unprovoked attack. Was Mr. Redner so objective that he could honestly make that call? And would it justify him making the decision to stop providing advanced copies to a particular reviewer? I don't think so. And that's not his call to make. Readers of reviews are (or should be) smart enough to assess whether they think a reviewer is providing an honest opinion or just hating for hatred's sake. It's up to them to decide which is which.

Bottom line is, a person is never going to agree with any reviewer, even a trusted one, 100% of the time. But that doesn't give anyone the right to stop that reviewer from writing. Because, as people have said here multiple times, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
MirrorForTheSun said:
Susan Arendt said:
MirrorForTheSun said:
I think it's cute when you guys talk about honesty and trust in reviews, but give Dragon Age II a perfect score.

I'm not saying Duke Nukem's good, I'm saying it's not like the "honest opinion" of this site means a whole lot anyway.
We didn't say it was perfect, nor do we say that a 5/5 means a game is perfect. I don't claim to speak for the other reviewers here, but I've yet to play a perfect game, but I've certainly handed out a few 5/5s.

Those of us who played Dragon Age 2 genuinely did enjoy it that much.The review reflects Greg Tito's opinion of the game, and of course your experience with the game may not match his. "Not in agreement with your opinion" does not equate with "dishonest liars."
Whatever helps you sleep at night. The review was full of the euphemism I've come to expect from PR firms, not "honest reviewers." Roleplaying "however you want" does not mean "Mean, nice, or snarky." However you want to rationalize it, I can't help but feel like you folks are using the opportunity of a fairly bad game that is expected by most to be bad anyway as a painless way to appear legitimate to your readers. I never called you liars, I implied that the opinions in the reviews weren't particularly honest. I understand! It's hard to cope with the high profile that comes with hosting Zero Punctuation. You've gotta make nice with the sponsors. (It's actually funny that DNF is plastered all over the site right now. It makes you guys seem like real rebels.) Just don't make yourselves out to be something you're not.

If assuming that someone who has a different opinion from yours is dishonest is what you need to do to sleep at night, so be it.
(This may sound "used", but F@#k it.)

On no she didn't.

Ok, back to Seriousness now. Why don't people get it? Its been a long while. Game reviews, ARE written opinions! The people play the game, they either enjoy it or not depending on the games quality, and what THEY like. Then they tell us through written words and video what they THINK about it from what THEY experienced. If they liked it and said they liked it(or they hated it and said so), then just because you disagree doesn't make what they said a lie! It means you have a different opinion, and that's fine.

What's not fine is saying just because someone doesn't agree with you, that the only explanation is that they are lying, and are wrong.

Also, I did enjoy Dragon Age 2, but I agree with X-Play's review of a 3 out of 5. However, I'm not the Escapist reviewer who played it. I am my own person, with my own thoughts. So sue me.

GotMurf

Nov 5, 2009
Withard said:
GotMurf said:
yayforgiveaway said:
Wow acting like a snob to show that the other guy is a complete dick. How mature. Well I hope I don't get banned. We all should have right to our opinions without fear of some higher power cutting us off if it thinks otherwise, right Russ?
To be honest... I agree with this guy.
This response wasn't really needed. It just seemed petty. You could have kept your journalistic integrity without getting into a pissing contest of snark.
Just sayin'.
Negative.

Russ simply in an amusing way highlighted the problems with games reviewing.

Or maybe you don't believe this is a problem we have?

....jus sayin
It's definitely a problem. I just don't think being immature and snide about it is the way to fix it.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Welcome to the corporate age of gaming; if you're a paying customer, you're seen as a sucker they can nickle and dime to death while calling you a possible criminal at the same time. Reviews are a cut-throat process where reviewers are bullied or punished for negative reviews and owners of websites and publications are bribed or pressured.

The best days of gaming are over. From the late 80's to early 2000's it was a golden age of dozens of developers competeing against one another and were able to take risks and make niche titles that created loyal customers while making money at the same time! Those loyal customers were rewarded with a few digital items for free between expansion packs.

THEN publishers started to buy up developers and now 3-4 companies own and control the vast majority of the gaming industry, so now we're in a "Hollywood" situation where budgets are huge where they can't take risks so they shit out a mass-appeal focus grouped clone of the last successful release and indie developers just can't compete.

The only thing that can fix this is another video game collapse where EA, Ubisoft, and Activision go bankrupt which will allow developers to pop up again on their own.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
MirrorForTheSun said:
I think it's cute when you guys talk about honesty and trust in reviews, but give Dragon Age II a perfect score.

I'm not saying Duke Nukem's good, I'm saying it's not like the "honest opinion" of this site means a whole lot anyway.
Just keep in mind that these honest reviews are coming with a big ad for Duke Nukem splashed across the site.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
sleeky01 said:
nexekho said:
If they said that, readers would stop coming to their site for up-to-the-minute reviews. Lost traffic = lost money.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Getting back to the main topic, the comments made by Mr. Redner were his opinion as well. Were they reasonably expressed and thoughtfully worded? Perhaps not, but he made his point, however poorly his words were received "Be fair about it, don't let the hate show in the review." Though, that's kind of diffcult in this climate of gaming media. Still, Mr. Redner is entitled to his opinion.

Just like you and me, Mr. Pitts.
Mr. Redner said "We will review who will get copies in the future." That's not an opinion, that's a threat.

Russ's review is barely snarky, and even addresses the juvenile humour aspect as just being not good (in that reviewers opinion - in fact many reviewers opnions).

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Open Letter to Duke Nukem PR

Trust is important. That's why threatening game reviewers is a dangerous game.

Read Full Article
Can I ask you question?

I've seen much worse games than DNF get more stars than it on this site, and while I agree that DNF isn't a great game, or even a good one from a critical standpoint, DNF was, in my opinion, FUN.

Very fun, a blast to play. I think that there lies a misconception that a good game must be fun, and fun games must be good.

DNF shows thats not the case. Like the recent transformers movies, they may suck, but you couldn't help but smile or cheer when you see 15 giant robots beat the gears out of each other with the city blowing up around them.

derek_smart

Oct 15, 2009
Well, Take Two has now dropped them as a client. Good for them.

Doing foolish things like this - mistake or not - is completely out of order. Mistake or not, the fact that he was thinking it, was bad enough. Then he goes and types it up. And Tweets it.

I've had a love and hate relationship with the media for longer than most have had hot dinners, but when the Sun goes down, we all know where that line - which must not be crossed - is. That's reason why we're all still here, doing our jobs and trying to move along with the conveyor belt that is the industry rat race. We're all friends here. At least that's what Facebook thinks. Not to mention the many industy events where we all mingle "like it never happened".

It is the outsiders - like these crazy PR companies all fighting to belong and be relevant - who come in and break the synergy that is the madness within. We're all mad. We know this. We accept it. With pride, grace - and beer. Lots and lots of beer. And junk food. And weird emoticons. And murderous spouses who still haven't figured out yet that we're all stark, raving nuts.

I agree that some of the Duke reviews themselves have been a tad over the top, but lets face it, the game itself is flat out over the top. So what's wrong with reviewing a game and using the very same expressions that said game seems to promote?

The Ars Technica review was the craziest of the lot and Ben didn't mince his words one bit. Now that's emotion that was directly in line with the spirit of the game's very premise.

And given that Randy knew that the reviews were going to be all over the place, my guess is that what we're seeing isn't as shocking as it appears, since he warned us all no less than two weeks ago.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
nexekho said:
Sorry if I was unclear, I was referring to announcing they've been blacklisted. Banding together and boycotting is a bit silly in retrospect.
"Hello, Mr. Reader, have you come for a review today?"
"Yes"
"I'm sorry, but we don't have one because we have been blacklsited by corr -
*click*
Pop-UP

"Wait! Wait! We have an amusing cartoon for you to enjoy, it reviews a game!"
"When was it released"?
"Two weeks ago."

*click*

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
DNF shows thats not the case. Like the recent transformers movies, they may suck, but you couldn't help but smile or cheer when you see 15 giant robots beat the gears out of each other with the city blowing up around them.
I want to say that while you're entitled to your opinion, so are several others. The majority opinion is not in your favor.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/duke-nukem-forever/user-reviews

However, I haven't played the game and have nothing to compare it to. I only have several negative reviews to go by.

Still, this article was about the response from PR firms and threatening to take reviews away from certain outlets.