Opinion: DOOM is Exactly as Violent and Bloody as It Should Be

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I would like to thank the Escapist for clearly labeling these opinion pieces as opinion instead of news. This is very good.

Vigormortis said:
iseko said:
Graphics look pretty shit.
How so? idTech 6 is looking pretty impressive, if you ask me. Certainly no less than what I've seen thus far from engines like Unreal 4, Frostbite 4, etc.
Personally i think it looks pretty bad due to lack of color palette. Some fans already took a few demons and colored them with more bright colors and they look much better that way. Its just too yellow-brown, really. Yeah, idTech 6 is pretty good engine there, its more the developers choices that look "pretty shitty"

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Charcharo said:
teh_Canape said:
Charcharo said:
It is not violent enough...

Come on, Quake 4 and Prey did more!!!
nah mate
Quake 4 was gory, but Prey was downright fucked up, jesus christ
I dont care. I want more of that.

I want to feel sick when playing it.

Also Quake 4 took violence to a crowd pleaser level... so much ways to desecrate the human body...
yeah, the Strogg looked very messy for a cybernetic/AI driven species, you'd think they would be more practical, especially on the conversion process
the "massive doses of steroids" is neat and all but it doesn't stop the possibility that some soldiers might bleed out during the process and fuck up the strogg plans/flow

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
Opinion on the footage so far:

+/- Weaponwheel? Um, ok. I imagine it's for consoles.
+/- Snapmap. Like many things, it's quite up in the air. Hopefully, it will lead to a ton of good user created content.
+/- Crosshairs seemed set per weapon. Would definitely like to be able to set them universally.

- Despite looking big and vertical, there really wasn't anything to suggest the player can traverse up/down floors freely.
Except for a few tailored places. Thus it seemed linear. Really shouldn't be the case.
- Far too much sickly yellow. Even in areas with no molten metal. Needs more FIRE....and well... every other color.
- Teleportation/warping/summoning in of imps looks terrible, Doom 3 nailed it.
- NO ROCK/METAL OST. Some transformers industrial/techno shyte instead.
- Executions are mostly not mobile. Chainsaw paralyzes you. One must be able to run around and slash with it.
- Weapons seem very same-ish in visual design. Too much metal, needs more lights and such.
They sounded weak, and impotent too.
- Supershotty is only double-barreled. C'mon, it's 2015, QUAD-barreled is the bare minimum.
- Weapons appear only in the right hand. Was actually expecting to see them held in the middle.
- Hell looks more like a cultist infested mountain top than hell. Too. Much. Sickly. Yellow. WhereTF is the fire?
And no, fire in braziers does not count.
No disturbing crying/wailing ambiance. Or gruesomely torn bodies/crucifixions.
- Too few monsters in number. Hoping that is absolutely NOT the case in the final release. Please don't let it be....

+ No usable key cards in sight. Thank goodness. It was always a bothersome and obsolete mechanic. Ripping out arms fits perfectly.
It would make even more sense if we could just blow the obstructions/doors up.
+ Weapon upgrades ala Quake4(shotgun gains burstfire).
+ Dismemberment seems to be heading in the right direction.
+ Jetpack.
+ Enemies drop ammo. Most likely ate the people who had it. +1 for making sense.
+ Imps, are agile and throw fireballs on the move. Hell knights bull-rush. Cloaked pinkies!
+ The player can climb stuff.
+ "A boot to the head!"(zombie in facility and hell) "Eat your heart out!"(mancubus)
+ Design on the marine armor(especially arms) looks perfect.
+ NO WEAPON RELOADING.
+ Interactive panels are sexy as fuck.
+ Gory death when failing.
+ Railgun.
+ Explosive barrels! Would be great if there were other destructibles.
And even better if they can be picked up and thrown.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
That trailer looks pretty rad. I'll play that for sure. I don't think that level of violence is particularly extreme, especially since it's all fantasy violence anyway.

slacker2

May 22, 2011
Sseth said:
Nah not my criticism at least. My criticism are those forced pre-animated executions. Those are going to get SO tedious after a while, and it seems very disruptive to fast paced gameplay that you have to stop and watch the same execution animation over and over, and you just know you're going to get bored of seeing it after the 1000th time. It's the sort of thing that only impresses in trailers.

Also, from what I could tell, those execution animations are ALL THE CHAINSAW DOES. You can't rev up the chainsaw and run around cutting people up? Are you kidding me? The Chainsaw is a "watch this execution animation" weapon and it looks tedious as all hell.

And one last thing, I'm not a fan of this decolored/desaturated look that's going on. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's a certain dulling of hue ala Man of Steel that just looks really bad. I guess they're trying to go for some photorealistic look but it's just drab.
Yesss thank you! They could have at least taken a cue from shadow warrior and let the player chop up enemies instead of forcing us to slog through what is essentially a glorified quicktime event. This game looks so sloooow

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Skatologist said:
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/SusanArendt/status/610333540660543489]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/SusanArendt/status/610334074373148672]
I think perhaps I didn't adequately elucidate my point here, and I apologize for any misunderstanding. I wholeheartedly agree with Susan's sentiment here. We are a diverse group of people, and we *should* have different tastes in games. What we shouldn't be doing, however, is vilifying a developer (much less an entire fanbase) for not sharing your tastes. Some of those public reactions (some from very prominent, mainstream-recognized names) didn't say 'this isn't for me." They said "this shouldn't be for anybody." That's never okay.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LetalisK said:
It's because we take social media, Twitter being the most apparent platform, far too seriously and exaggerate its impact. I feel like most gaming controversies in the past few years can be traced back to this principle.
Yeah, but I'm not sure how the original Doom got retconned into that. ihateregistering is correct in pointing out the overall lack of response when Doom dropped originally. There were a few "think of the children" groups, but you do not see this sort of response from the other properties they targeted. Even other game series--Pokémon, for example--which received similar levels of controversy did not see this sort of retroactive claim.

Encaen said:
Some of those public reactions (some from very prominent, mainstream-recognized names) didn't say 'this isn't for me." They said "this shouldn't be for anybody." That's never okay.
Such as? Can you cite specific instances, preferably with links and/or direct quotes?

kimiyoribaka

Jul 11, 2012
Reading this article made me want to look up the word "violent". Honestly, that's not a word I've ever associated with Doom. Yes, it had violence, but was that really important? I guess it was significant that it showed creatures reacting in a believable way to being shot, but that's only in comparison to earlier games like duke nukem. My memories have faded over that last 20 years, but as a kid I mainly remember doom as just another one of the interesting challenges on my computer.

Regarding, that trailer though, I got the feeling of more over-emphasis on graphics (id being id I guess). Sure you have a lot of bits flying everywhere, but not much about the types of cool guns to use or the interesting environmental hazards or even much clear shots of the enemies to face. So yeah, it didn't give me the feeling of Doom at all.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Zachary Amaranth said:
Encaen said:
Some of those public reactions (some from very prominent, mainstream-recognized names) didn't say 'this isn't for me." They said "this shouldn't be for anybody." That's never okay.
Such as? Can you cite specific instances, preferably with links and/or direct quotes?
Absolutely, and I applaud a healthy dose of skepticism! https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/610271596675117056

"really troubling (and depressing) that audience is enthusiastically cheering..."
Which is exactly the same as "really troubling (and depressing) that audience [likes something I don't like]"

"troubling (and depressing)" suggests that the people who enjoy something that she doesn't enjoy is causing some kind of emotional trauma. Causing emotional trauma is universally recognized as a bad thing. Hence suggesting that people enjoying something she does not enjoy is a bad thing.

Good - "I'm not into this trailer. It's too violent for me."
Bad - "I'm not into this trailer, and other people enjoying it causes me emotional trauma."

I hope that makes sense, but even if you still disagree with my sentiment, I promise that I won't suggest that it causes me any kind of trauma. :)

LucBen999

Jan 27, 2010
Encaen said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Encaen said:
Absolutely, and I applaud a healthy dose of skepticism! https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/610271596675117056

"really troubling (and depressing) that audience is enthusiastically cheering..."
Which is exactly the same as "really troubling (and depressing) that audience [likes something I don't like]"

"troubling (and depressing)" suggests that the people who enjoy something that she doesn't enjoy is causing some kind of emotional trauma. Causing emotional trauma is universally recognized as a bad thing. Hence suggesting that people enjoying something she does not enjoy is a bad thing.

Good - "I'm not into this trailer. It's too violent for me."
Bad - "I'm not into this trailer, and other people enjoying it causes me emotional trauma."

I hope that makes sense, but even if you still disagree with my sentiment, I promise that I won't suggest that it causes me any kind of trauma. :)
Have some more!

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Encaen said:
https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/610271596675117056
I'm not sure I'd go as far as implying trauma or the like. On the other hand, this tweet and the others mean clearly that people by default shouldn't enjoy Doom, otherwise this wouldn't be troubling. I mean, when you say "it's troubling people enjoy watching snuff movies" or "it's troubling people enjoy gang-raping poor innocent kids", you obviously imply that "normal human beings" don't do this. Same here.

And really, all the Doom bogus criticism of violence was stupid already back in 1993. You butcher demons, not random innocent humans. Heck, Wolfenstein 3D should've been more "problematic" since you kill people - granted, evil Nazis, so the archetype of "bad guys". Still, killing demons in 2015 shouldn't be controversial, not when you have ISIS beheading real people on Youtube.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The question arises: do we need a DOOM anymore?
Violence isn't controversial unless you're trying to make it so.
DOOM itself seems to enjoy the smell of its own farts quite a bit.
We have other sources of ridiculous madness that move past it, like KF2.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Encaen said:
To be clear, your evidence for public responses, plural, seems to be one tweet which appears to need to be redefined to make the case. Are you saying this is the sum of the prominent public reactions (again, plural) to this effect?

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Zachary Amaranth said:
Encaen said:
To be clear, your evidence for public responses, plural, seems to be one tweet which appears to need to be redefined to make the case. Are you saying this is the sum of the prominent public reactions (again, plural) to this effect?
In my opinion, logical analysis of a statement is not the same as redefining said statement, but you're welcome to your own opinion on the matter.

As to additional examples, I hope this helps: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.877384-Opinion-DOOM-is-Exactly-as-Violent-and-Bloody-as-It-Should-Be?page=2#22088209

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, I can certainly see the influences of Brutal Doom in that trailer (first time I've been able to watch it in full).
It...actually looks really good, IMO. Just hoping the mini-cutscenes aren't going to break the flow of the game too badly.

Aaaand in other news...the dynamic duo are right back at it again; this time feeling bold enough to drop the niceties and show their contempt for the audience directly. Whatever. They can wag their fingers and shake their heads all they want, what people play and enjoy is none of their fucking business.

teh_Canape said:
yeah, the Strogg looked very messy for a cybernetic/AI driven species, you'd think they would be more practical, especially on the conversion process
the "massive doses of steroids" is neat and all but it doesn't stop the possibility that some soldiers might bleed out during the process and fuck up the strogg plans/flow
Actually, they have an entire facility for reprocessing the failures and other "spare meat".
The player shuts it down in Quake 2.

STEALTH EDIT:
I'm not even bothering to direct quote you; because you don't deserve it.

It's funny; that for all the babbling you make about respecting the opinions of others, you are more than eager to attack them relentlessly, despite how much you hate having your own challenged.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Nice loaded question and deflection of the original point.
You nitpicked his article, then demanded more examples to justify the plurality of his claim.
This is a primer for "moving the goalposts".

And when he did just that, you ignore the evidence and change your argument with weaseling (the word "seems" denies any firm point you might have had).

Now you aren't looking for plural evidence, but are trying to dismiss the evidence via accusing him of changing the context of the quotes. (Prophecy stated, and fulfilled; you moved the goalposts)

I have a more important question: what's your criteria?

But sure. Let's try this again: is this the sum total of your evidence? Is this what you're talking about? These two people, who are themselves colleagues, are the sum of the "popular" dissent that you're railing against? Why do you feel comments about the response validate your opinion piece about the game? Does McIntosh count as popular, with roughly the same followers as Rap Critic?
Nice entrapment scenario you've laid here; no matter what answer he gives you to justify his position, it won't matter because your own criteria is nebulous and arbitrary, and can be dismissed under any grounds you could invent.

But lets put some actual fucking context on the table here: "Is McIntosh popular?"
This point is disingenous, because Feminist Frequency is two people, with McIntosh as the writer, and Sarkeesian more the public face.

Sarkeesian ALONE has had numerous public speaking engagements, run several rounds on National Television (MSNBC, Colbert, and more), has been published in Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world, and is one of the prominent public figures currently in the gaming industry (to the point where she has done work with one of the biggest companies in the the business: EA)

FUTURE EDIT: And was recently invited to the UNITED NATIONS as a guest. She is THAT GOOD of a professional victim.

So, given the context of this being a piece on a gaming news site for gamers, Encaen's claim of them being "popular" (that is, well known to the public) is more than justified here.
Assert otherwise all you want; you're fooling nobody but yourself.

Do you really think rephrasing and adding new meaning counts as "logical analysis?"
What new meaning did he add with the rephrasing?
No, don't sit there and assert, PROVE YOUR GODDAMN POINT ZACH, WHAT NEW MEANING IS THERE?
You invoke logic here, but are employing none yourself in your attempt to keep Encaen under the gun.

Since you never give us this new meaning he made, we can only assume it exists purely in your head, and thus is arbitrary.

So, to wit, he didn't add new meaning; Sarkeesian and McIntosh displayed obvious disdain for the gamers cheering a display of fantasy violence. He gave you the verbatim tweets IN CONTEXT.

Either you are being deliberately dishonest here to discredit Encaen's opinion, or you actually have no idea what the literal meanings of Sarkeesian/McIntosh's statements are in context.

In either case you are in no position to be dictating to anyone what is being said on this subject.

The opinion piece seems to be exactly for the opposite reason, since it calls out the opinions of others solely on the basis that they don't share your values. You didn't welcome criticism, you chastised it and made it out to be a bigger deal than it appears to be.
"Than it appears to be".
Oh get over yourself. You aren't the grand arbiter on this or any issue here.
You don't get to dictate what is or isn't a reasonable degree of outrage to form an opinion on.

Especially when you attempt to conflate this with "moral panic" and the actual "should not exists" of the original Doom.

Your words seem to be at odds with what you say they mean, and seem to be at odds with the very basis for your claim. I attempted to seek clarification, and was denied. In the absence of such answers, I can only conclude that there isn't a strong foundational basis.
Feminist Frequency, a well known (popular) game critic entourage came out and complained about gamers getting excited for ultra-violence in a game based on ultra-violence. That may be their opinion, but it's an opinion stemming from puritanical bullshit.

The fact that someone else can point that out in an article while claiming to respect the opinions of others, IS NOT A MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE THING. Because respecting someone's opinion is not the same as agreeing with it, a principle you like to espouse but in practice, violate almost fucking DAILY on this site.

In all of this, it's YOU are guilty of being unable to endure criticism for YOUR sacred cow (that woman in your profile picture).

The main difference, is that you think by never declaring your position that you can avoid confronting your own bias, even as you confront people with theirs.

It's a cheap, hypocritical tactic you invoke frequently, and goddamn it's high time someone called you out on it.

I also find this new notion of criticism to be particularly odd, in that it places a higher standard on video games than any other form of art/entertainment. It seems almost nationalistic in nature, decrying outsiders who don't understand how things really work.
And there you go with those weasel words again. "Seems". But I get why you do that, because the only other way to phrase those are in the expository stance "You are nationalists decrying outsiders", which is a blunt accusation.

As for the rest, it's pure projection on your part and thus invalid by default.

Unfortunately, nobody seems to be willing to answer me as to why games require a special standard under which to operate.
It helps if you actually ask the question before lamenting your lack of answers.
Or can we add "basic concept of time" to the list of things you have no clue about too?

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
heh and this is why devs dont show in game footage especially from a build a good half year from complete people jump on the graphics for being shit, because it doesnt look like the over polished unrealistic predictions the likes of watchdogs fed us. gj guys gj!

but actually doom never really got tagged as violent it was the satanic hell stuff the american moral minority were on a crusade against at this point , i still have some censored MTG cards from this era (unholy strength cards with the pentagrams removed).

this whole too violent argument suffers from the same base errors in reasoning that sexism in games does, there is no violence in any computer game, theres depictions of blood and gore sure, but as anyone who has had someone actually try to kill them in the real world can attest violence is nothing like its computer game depiction.