Opinions on Heavy Drinking?

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate or dislike people who drink alcohol. I've had it before, not a big fan but I can understand why people drink it to relax. It takes the edge off, makes you less tense, more social etc; I enjoy some wine now and then. What I don't understand are the people who get completely hammered and feeling like complete shit the next day. If they're the type of person who cannot willingly stop when they start drinking, then it's somewhat understandable but I'm talking about the people who go around saying "Let's get wasted!"

I live in Puerto Rico, the age to drink here is 18 but where I live no one cares; 13 year olds are getting wasted every weekend and going to night clubs where they don't belong. What I don't understand is the fun of getting hammered; buzzed or a bit drunk is fine but what is the point of getting so drunk you fall around, throw up, can't talk properly and act like a complete idiot? Then the next day all they do is complain for how horrible they feel.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It's stupid. There are better ways to have a fun night with friends than nuking your liver from orbit and spending the next few hours either passed out in a pool of your own vomit or cleaning up pools of your own vomit while hung over.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Basically, it's because getting wasted is a shitload of fun.
Particularly if you're clever enough to drink water and stick to clear spirits. It saves you a lot of pain the next morning.

Sometimes, I just want to roll around on the floor giggling to myself. And who's to say I shouldn't?

Of course, no one wants to reach the point where they throw up. The trick is to balance the narrow line between "drunk as hell" and "sick".
And the day after... That's basically just the price you have to pay to have that particular brand of fun. Besides, there is a good deal of ways to dampen it.
Skip to 1:30 if you only want the drinking part.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Kevin Delgado said:
Theres the number one rule for "Why teenagers do things" which is to fit in/peer pressure. Some people do it just because all their friends do it and are afraid that people will stop liking them as much if they don't.

Then there is the whole it can be pretty fun to get wasted, even if all you are doing is throwing up and doing stupid and self destructive things. I know I've had a lot of fun at times where I was so drunk I couldn't remember where I lived or how stairs worked... Mainly because I was with other people who were equally drunk.

I guess it depends on what you like to do, some people like to drink to take the edge off, some drink to get wasted, some just drink because they like the taste. Every now and then getting wasted can be great fun (Nevermind the repercussions the next day) but I don't see the idea behind getting wasted everyday/night/saturday night...

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
Lawnmooer said:
Kevin Delgado said:
Theres the number one rule for "Why teenagers do things" which is to fit in/peer pressure. Some people do it just because all their friends do it and are afraid that people will stop liking them as much if they don't.

Then there is the whole it can be pretty fun to get wasted, even if all you are doing is throwing up and doing stupid and self destructive things. I know I've had a lot of fun at times where I was so drunk I couldn't remember where I lived or how stairs worked... Mainly because I was with other people who were equally drunk.

I guess it depends on what you like to do, some people like to drink to take the edge off, some drink to get wasted, some just drink because they like the taste. Every now and then getting wasted can be great fun (Nevermind the repercussions the next day) but I don't see the idea behind getting wasted everyday/night/saturday night...
Yeah, I don't care if they get wasted from time to time, that's not a real problem. I mean we're young, we should live life to the fullest. I'm not exactly one to talk because...well I'll be honest, I'm a pretty boring guy but it's fine to do that stuff because when you're older, you'll pretty much not be able to do it as much. However, as you said, there is no point getting wasted every night/saturday night etc; there are parties almost every weekend here and even when there's not, they go to their houses just to get completely hammered. It's going a bit too far, in my opinion.

Zerazar

Aug 5, 2010
Culture and fun are the broadest most applicable reasons from what I gather in Denmark.
Personal reasons that I suspect I share with many others are a bit harder to explain.
Firstly, you lose yourself to a higher degree. Now, I have enough faith in myself, and have been proven right, that I don't go around picking fights or something stupid like that just because I get really drunk. But I often end up doing things I would never do sober. It's nice to not analyze every single bullshit thing over and over.
Secondly, other people are drunk too. People open up more. It's easier to get to know people when they're drunk. Bonds are strengthened more when alcohol is in the picture.
Thirdly, much relating to first and second addendum reasons: There's a vastly increased chance of getting into romance when alcohol is consumed by both parties when the time and resource commitment is considered.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
IrishAdams said:
I'm one of those people everyone hates that doesn't get bad hangovers. :)

I drink a hell of a lot when I drink, I like the feeling of numbness and freedom it gives me. I think it's different for different people. I've only gotten sick a few times, once I even pulled the "I'm never drinking again" stunt when I puked 20 times in one hour. Then I woke up and had a whisky and water.

Basicly I drink because I like to. No one tells me I should. I like the feeling of being intoxicated. Being a bartendor helps.
curse you and your golden god like liver

and heavy drinking is fun if your smart and with people you enjoy being with. its the people who do it for attention that ruin it for everyone

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
I used to hate people that couldnt handle their drink but have come to realize that not everyone has my resistance and self control when it comes to drinking. Just because i can drink 4 times as much as my average friend before they get smashed while i only have a slight buzz.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
You begin abusing alcohol when it stops being a beverage and begins being used as a controlled substance.
That sums up my feelings.

That and a drunk fuckstick killed my brother so I'm pretty bitter about people who think losing all cognitive functions is 'hilarious'.

Don't quote me to tell me how 'people can handle it' because that's stupid. Everyone who ever got drunk/wasted/high and ruined other people's lives didn't set out to do that. They thought they could handle it to. Just keep telling yourself that, maybe you'll be lucky and out grow it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jonluw said:
Sometimes, I just want to roll around on the floor giggling to myself. And who's to say I shouldn't?
Assuming you need alcohol for that. I don't, yay me I guess.

So yeah, I never joined in either. I can't really get wasted anyway, as alcohol makes me really drowsy and tired. After a couple of glasses/bottles of anything I just feel like snuggling under a blanket and have a wonderful night of sweet sleep.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Jonluw said:

So yeah, I never joined in either. I can't really get wasted anyway, as alcohol makes me really drowsy and tired. After a couple of glasses/bottles of anything I just feel like snuggling under a blanket and have a wonderful night of sweet sleep.
I know that feel too well.
Beer tends to make me very drowsy, but when I'm at parties and want to be lively I drink stronger stuff with which that isn't a problem.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Jonluw said:
Basically, it's because getting wasted is a shitload of fun.
Particularly if you're clever enough to drink water and stick to clear spirits. It saves you a lot of pain the next morning.

Of course, no one wants to reach the point where they throw up. The trick is to balance the narrow line between "drunk as hell" and "sick".
And the day after... That's basically just the price you have to pay to have that particular brand of fun. Besides, there is a good deal of ways to dampen it.
Yeah, absolutely hammered =/= pool of own vomit. My skinniness means I can get drunk easily, but I've never gone BLEEEEEGH all over the place. Little tip from what I've witnessed: Don't mix stuff too much. Stick to 1-2 types of alcohol max, unless you're drinking small amounts (and also, you if you know your body well enough). They mix up and shit goes down.

As for my opinion, I'm a fan of the saying "work hard, play hard". I see why some people don't drink, but don't you ever get up on a pedestal for not drinking (or being a hard drinker, for that matter) unfortunately, I know some people are likely to take the superiority complex road. All I can say to others like myself that do drink, once you know what's too far for you, don't keep passing that limit, because that's douchey.
mrm5561 said:
IrishAdams said:
I'm one of those people everyone hates that doesn't get bad hangovers. :)

I drink a hell of a lot when I drink, I like the feeling of numbness and freedom it gives me. I think it's different for different people. I've only gotten sick a few times, once I even pulled the "I'm never drinking again" stunt when I puked 20 times in one hour. Then I woke up and had a whisky and water.

Basicly I drink because I like to. No one tells me I should. I like the feeling of being intoxicated. Being a bartendor helps.
curse you and your golden god like liver

and heavy drinking is fun if your smart and with people you enjoy being with. its the people who do it for attention that ruin it for everyone
I have been known to create loud noises the morning after to exacerbate the hangovers of my companions, making use of my own golden god like liver to be unscathed. That said, if I have only a single drink in the late evening, I get a headache the next morning like alcohol blue balls, or something.

As for the smart people thing, I agree. I never had the same degree of fun when I was with people who thought that "no planning, fuck anyone who doesn't just happen to arrive when you do and let's underage drink in areas where it's specifically likely to draw attention" was the way to have fun. I'll admit, the chases were a fun source of adrenaline, but people who actively seek this shit out are morons. Also, some of them were kind of douchey drunks. I'm really much happier drinking with people who are just relaxed and don't feel the need to be "cool" guys.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jonluw said:
Cowabungaa said:
Jonluw said:

Beer tends to make me very drowsy, but when I'm at parties and want to be lively I drink stronger stuff with which that isn't a problem.
The stronger the stuff is, the drowsier I get. After two or three glasses of whiskey I'm ready to sleep for twelve hours, regardless of the environment I'm in.

If you want to get me rolling on the floor giggling, you need to give me a super-corny movie and Mario Party with four people or something.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I live in Ireland, and I'm constantly baffled by this as well. I fail to see how getting dizzy, incoherent and eventually sick is worth it.
I drink alcohol because a lot of it tastes nice, and moderate amounts do give you a nice, jolly feeling. If I want to have an interesting time, however, there's a plethora of other substances.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
I'm sick of the judgmental and inexperienced commentators on this forum. And this isn't really aimed at you OP, you are just asking a question about something you don't understand. Which is fair enough.

But as expected. A flow of cookie cutter answers about how they think it's stupid and badong. Taking the smug high road stance, sickeningly common in those with a distinct lack of first hand experience.

"oh I don't need alcohol to be inhibition free, nyah nyah. I don't poison myself with substances to have a good time yarf."

Yea, good for you. I don't need alcohol to have a good time either. Doesn't mean a night isn't amplified by the social lubricant that's been the fuel of practically every great civilization in history.

Whenever a thread comes up about drugs like MJ and booze, you have a horde of people condemning those who take it and hiding behind inaccurate analogies about why it's wrong.

If you personally don't want to drink to get smashed, great don't drink and get smashed. But do not presume to have some sort of moral superiority over those who do. No matter the quantity.

I was out last night with my friends getting well and truly hammered. Guess what? I'm still a functioning part of society and certainly not some sort of lower life form to be studied from afar.

Alcohol can be a fantastic social equaliser. Plenty of my best friendships have been forged whilst under the influence of booze. Friends that I'll likely keep my entire life, all from one commonality. That we met on a night out whilst plastered.

Also, never had a hangover in my life, and not for lack of trying. I'm just lucky that way.
While I agree with everything you said and have absolutely nothing to add, I just couldn't help but notice the Kung Pow reference tucked away in there.

You legend you.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Jonluw said:
Cowabungaa said:
Jonluw said:

The stronger the stuff is, the drowsier I get. After two or three glasses of whiskey I'm ready to sleep for twelve hours, regardless of the environment I'm in.

If you want to get me rolling on the floor giggling, you need to give me a super-corny movie and Mario Party with four people or something.
Huh. Pretty much the opposite of me then.
Video games is one of those social activities where I can enjoy myself a lot without drinking though.
Of course, that's not to say drinking plus video games doesn't equal fun. I had a lot of fun this one time experiencing my aim going to hell over the course of an evening.