Opinions on Heavy Drinking?

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
I'm not a fan of heavy drinking, but i think it's better than those who g out almost every
night to the pub or drink a half a bottle of wine a day.I prefer drinking with friends and having a laugh,though i don't do it nearly as much as my friends,it great and helps you forget the shitty week you had or the uncertain future, and just have a lot a craic for a few hours.
And I love drinking a small amount of spirits at a show or rave like thing.It just makes everything way more fun.
IMO all substances should be legal,but alcohol needs to be regulated better.Because under the age of 18 its a a crime, but over that no one gives a shit how much you drink, especially when you live in a poor area and the gaurds don't care about you being drunk and disorderly.It's also a really dangerous and addictive substance.And can ruin families.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Kevin Delgado said:
Can someone please explain this to me?
First of all, some obvious facts. ;)
The border between being a little drunk and compeltely wasted isn't the same for everyone. It isn't some sort of universal constant. It varies from person to person, and depends on a few things. One day you may be king of %% while on the other you may vomit after one lager. Also, the border blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrs while drinking. Not everyone knows his/her limits. No doubtly you've heard it - "just one beer more", "no, i'm not that drunk, i'll order one more".
It's simple as that - drinking is also a skill, and it's easy to learn, hard to master. ;)

So, younger people often do not know how to drink. It's easy to simply swallow some random beverages and wake up next day wishing for only one thing : that somebody would kill those damned cats and their - oh so - loud paws.
Actually, same thing applies to plenty of older people. It's the matter of not knowing one's strengths and weaknesses.

Remember Hanlon's Razor : Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. There's certain degree of similarity here. ;)

Also : some people drink because they can't stand reality and we don't have alternetives like soft drugs. It's pretty popular around here in the Eastern Europe. We drink to escape from this bitter, cold, lawless sh*thole and it's problems. We drink to forget what we did or what was done to us.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
I'm all for getting really drunk, and I tend to have more fun on a night out if I do. By now I know my limits, and haven't thrown up from drinking for quite a while now.

I don't understand people who say "I'm gonna get paraletic tonight", and then proceed to drink past what they know are their limits, and just become a mess, throwing up everywhere and going to bed early. I understand that everyone drinks too much occasionally, but it's usually a mistake, a lack of judgement, or before you know your limits. To purposely start with the intention of overdosing on a drug (because that's what it is) just doesn't make any sense to me, and it annoys me when my uni friends say it.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
anthony87 said:
While I agree with everything you said and have absolutely nothing to add, I just couldn't help but notice the Kung Pow reference tucked away in there.

You legend you.

It's gonadab someone noticed that. XD

Great film.
Indeed....huh maybe I should add something to the thread.

Well I only go out drinking with friends once every week or two. I won't drink at home unless it's a big family thing and someone offers me one.

I do tend to get drunker than some but less than most and aside from the copious amounts of bullshit I don't act any differently. That is, I don't go running around acting like a dipshit. My drink of choice is usually Jack Daniels, couple that with the place I go to selling them for ?3 a pop and.....yeah, sometimes I tend to go overboard but I don't depend on drinking to enjoy myself, it just enhances the experience.

The people who go out just to get stone faced drunk are either idiots, inexperienced drinkers, alcoholics or some combination of the three. If someone is around 30 years old then all I would have to say to them is

That said, I do think that getting absolutely hammered is necessary at least once for the experience of it. It's all about learning your limits.

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
JesterRaiin said:
Kevin Delgado said:
Can someone please explain this to me?
First of all, some obvious facts. ;)
The border between being a little drunk and compeltely wasted isn't the same for everyone. It isn't some sort of universal constant. It varies from person to person, and depends on a few things. One day you may be king of %% while on the other you may vomit after one lager. Also, the border blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrs while drinking. Not everyone knows his/her limits. No doubtly you've heard it - "just one beer more", "no, i'm not that drunk, i'll order one more".
It's simple as that - drinking is also a skill, and it's easy to learn, hard to master. ;)

So, younger people often do not know how to drink. It's easy to simply swallow some random beverages and wake up next day wishing for only one thing : that somebody would kill those damned cats and their - oh so - loud paws.
Actually, same thing applies to plenty of older people. It's the matter of not knowing one's strengths and weaknesses.

Remember Hanlon's Razor : Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. There's certain degree of similarity here. ;)

Also : some people drink because they can't stand reality and we don't have alternetives like soft drugs. It's pretty popular around here in the Eastern Europe. We drink to escape from this bitter, cold, lawless sh*thole and it's problems. We drink to forget what we did or what was done to us.
Yeah, there are people as they say that can take it all in while others pass out from just a few shots. Hell, weight has a lot to do with it as the skinnier you are, the less alcohol you can take in within a time span. I'm pretty skinny, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to hold my drinks at all. And as for being a skill, I can understand that; it's something that people can learn from simply trying.

Like I said before, I understand when people drink to forget the world and its problems, that I have no issue with and actually approve of. I mean I do anything I can to hang out with friends or do something fun to take my mind off the shit that goes around in the world. Others do drugs, some drink, others just play games, everyone has their way to escape reality.

I guess the main reason I'm sort of "Why do people do it" mentality is for two reasons:
1.) Alcoholism runs in my family; a lot of members from my mothers side of the family have major alcohol issues, causing my perspective of alcohol to be a bit more negative than most.
2.) I'm not exactly the person that takes risks or anything like that; people say to enjoy life when you're young and I mean to but I just don't really know how. Others say to drink because it's fun, but I don't see the point in that. It's always this divided mentality between wanting to experience and not having the courage to try it for once. Kinda sucks, to be honest.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Being hungover right now, Im against it ;)

but I had an absolute blast last night. Dancing, girls, new friends, old friends the list goes on! So really, I have not problem with it, I have fun with the same friends sober and heavily intoxicated. Always a blast cause its with my friends

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
ace_of_something said:
You begin abusing alcohol when it stops being a beverage and begins being used as a controlled substance.
That sums up my feelings.

That and a drunk fuckstick killed my brother so I'm pretty bitter about people who think losing all cognitive functions is 'hilarious'.

Don't quote me to tell me how 'people can handle it' because that's stupid. Everyone who ever got drunk/wasted/high and ruined other people's lives didn't set out to do that. They thought they could handle it to. Just keep telling yourself that, maybe you'll be lucky and out grow it.
I agree, and I'm sorry to hear what happened.

I think it's selfish for somebody to be running around yelling and being awkward while other people are trying to have a good time, they say they "let themselves go", which means they aren't aware of the discomfort they are putting other people through, that's the reason you can do stupid stuff and think it's 'fun', it turns you into a selfish fuck.

I enjoy having interesting conversations with small groups of people when I'm around others, and alcohol just takes that away from you because it ruins any sense of meaningful conversation, I find it boring.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
I drink to forget a lot of things that I prefer never to think about. I can understand how that is unhealthy, and how binge drinking is unhealthy in general, but I honestly just don't care anymore.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Kevin Delgado said:
I'm not exactly the person that takes risks or anything like that; people say to enjoy life when you're young and I mean to but I just don't really know how. Others say to drink because it's fun, but I don't see the point in that. It's always this divided mentality between wanting to experience and not having the courage to try it for once. Kinda sucks, to be honest.
I know the feeling all too well. :|
Let me tell you one thing. There's this saying going somewhat like this : "every thing on the world is a human thing, but first you must be a human to try them".

Alcohol is exactly like everything else - it won't ruin your life if you'll approach it the right way.

For example, my wife doesn't like alcohol, however there are a few sweet beverages with %%s she accepts and enjoys. One of my closest friends can't stand beer, its taste, smell, but he likes wine very much. I know one MD (not Gregory House, still a mysoginist) that doesn't like alcohol at all, but every time he travels to some exotic countries he always drinks a little pure vodka to "kill some bacteries".

That's some examples of dealing with alcohol. Find your own, but for God's sake, take your time man ! Don't start drinking if you're not ready. Just because most or all people around you are doing it is not an argument at all. If you're not destined to die at young age then you'll have plenty of opportunities to deal with it. And if you'll find out that it's not your thing then simply say that you're on the heavy meds and can't drink. That should do the trick. :)

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Because it's just really fun.

People who don't understand this are generally really, really boring.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009

Sorry, I just had to.

I have absolutely no interest in getting hammered. I've seen many people at various stages of inebriation since entering college, and none of it is pleasant. Last year three girls spent all night in our residence hall bathroom with another girl because she was so drunk. Then just a month or so ago someone was treated for alcohol poisoning right in our building. That does not seem fun to me. How can you even call it fun when you don't remember what happened? It makes no sense.

If you want to get shitfaced, fine, whatever. You can have your hangover. Just stay the hell off of the roads. You have the right to get drunk, but you do not have the right to put others in danger like that.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
I'm sick of the judgmental and inexperienced commentators on this forum. And this isn't really aimed at you OP, you are just asking a question about something you don't understand. Which is fair enough.

But as expected. A flow of cookie cutter answers about how they think it's stupid and badong. Taking the smug high road stance, sickeningly common in those with a distinct lack of first hand experience.

"oh I don't need alcohol to be inhibition free, nyah nyah. I don't poison myself with substances to have a good time yarf."

Yea, good for you. I don't need alcohol to have a good time either. Doesn't mean a night isn't amplified by the social lubricant that's been the fuel of practically every great civilization in history.

Whenever a thread comes up about drugs like MJ and booze, you have a horde of people condemning those who take it and hiding behind inaccurate analogies about why it's wrong.

If you personally don't want to drink to get smashed, great don't drink and get smashed. But do not presume to have some sort of moral superiority over those who do. No matter the quantity.

I was out last night with my friends getting well and truly hammered. Guess what? I'm still a functioning part of society and certainly not some sort of lower life form to be studied from afar.

Alcohol can be a fantastic social equaliser. Plenty of my best friendships have been forged whilst under the influence of booze. Friends that I'll likely keep my entire life, all from one commonality. That we met on a night out whilst plastered.

Also, never had a hangover in my life, and not for lack of trying. I'm just lucky that way.
Thank you, I was losing all hope in this thread, you've restored it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jonluw said:
Video games is one of those social activities where I can enjoy myself a lot without drinking though.
That though is what I really don't get. I get the drinking, I even get being drunk despite never having been beyond a mild buzz, but I just fail to understand the "I need booze to have a good time at social occasions" mindset that is prevalent throughout the area I live in.

Squarez said:
I find that it's the exact opposite. I always think that, if someone needs alcohol to have fun at a party or something, then that person must be extremely boring outside such an event. As if the booze must make up for a lack of humor, charm and generally being a fun and interesting individual.

That, and every drunk person I ever met was a bloody retard. No small wonder of course, knowing what alcohol does to your cognitive abilities.

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
Squarez said:
Because it's just really fun.

Hello, I'm generally really, really boring guy. :p

kokirisoldier

Apr 15, 2008
I cant seem to trust anyone who doesn't at least casually drink a beer here and there. I myself Have to go to PT every morning Monday Through Friday wake up at 04:30. That being said drinking on the weekdays is a total no-go.

When I do drink its to get drunk and relax. There is nothing wrong with letting go and turning your brain off for a good minute.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Jonluw said:
Video games is one of those social activities where I can enjoy myself a lot without drinking though.
That though is what I really don't get. I get the drinking, but I just fail to understand the "I need booze to have a good time at social occasions" mindset that is prevalent throughout the area I live in.

I always think that, if someone needs alcohol to have fun at a party, then that person must be extremely boring, as if the booze must make up for a lack of humor, charm, and generally being a fun and interesting individual.
There's a show on TLC called Four Weddings, and they have a lot of people on there like that. Basically the show is about four brides who attend and rate other's weddings, and whoever wins gets a tropical honeymoon somewhere exotic. They like to pit polar opposites against each other, so if they have someone who doesn't want alcohol at their wedding they will surely get someone who can't stand to NOT have alcohol at weddings.

And their complaints are just as you said--"You can't loosen up without alcohol" "Your guests will be uncomfortable." How do these people talk with strangers on the bus? At what point did alcohol become necessary for mingling with strangers?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Shit-faced is fun. Shit-faced and puking is a result of not giving a shit whilst shit-faced. This is less fun, but funny the day after the hangover.

This works out as 2 parts fun to 1 part potential non-fun, where the 2 parts fun are multiplied by the chance that you may not remember puking anyway, which equals "all in good fun".

The numbers don't lie.