Opinions on Heavy Drinking?

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
My best friend started drinking and smoking, both tobacco and weed once or twice. I haven't talked to him since. Does that make my stand on the subject clear?

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
I used to drink heavily, but then I took an arrow to grew out of it.
Yup, same as me. In fact, I completely stopped drinking when I turned 21. Strange I know, my priorities changed.

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
slipknot4 said:
My best friend started drinking and smoking, both tobacco and weed once or twice. I haven't talked to him since. Does that make my stand on the subject clear?
That's your opinion bro; although why stop talking to him if he's our best friend? Does he smoke around you? My friends drink a lot but I don't stop talking to them simply because they drink excessively. If he's smoking or doing weed around you, couldn't you simply ask him to stop? :)

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Jonluw said:
Indeed. The 30's. Those'll be fun...
But I can't worry about that; that's how you end up in the suicidal setting. I have enough to bother me in the short term.

It's worth pointing out though: It's not so much "Not being charming, interesting or witty" as it is "Not being able to relax and bring out those traits in a alcohol free social setting"
That's sorta sad, actually, and also what's wrong with kids in general. Long-term thinking is important y'know, and it's not like you can't do anything about not being able to bring out those traits in an alcohol-free social setting.
Like I've tried to imply: I've already tried long term thinking. I figured out a while ago that if I wanted to live any longer than the moment I would have to live in the moment (Not literally, of course. And it might be an exaggeration. I don't know how my mental state would evolve if I didn't come to that conclusion after all. It's just a nice way of phrasing it, I figure).
I have more than enough to occupy myself with, thinking about what I want to do the next couple of years.

I would go so far as to say alcohol has helped me tremendously. Socially and mentally. It's very well possible I would have gotten over that depressive state without it, but I certainly would be just as bored at parties to this day if it wasn't for the ethanol.
Still, as I already said; may the Nine be with you. You're going to need it.
Thanks, I guess.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
slipknot4 said:
You're a massive jackass? Oh no, he drank some alcohol and smoked some weed, he's still the same person, but no surely the man is a complete monster comparable to Mira Hindley and Josef Fritzl. Hey I'm pretty sure your precious eminem has gotten drunk and done drugs at some point, time to stop listening to him too, as he's clearly the scum of the earth.

Seriously not talking to someone ever again because of something as trivial as that makes you more of a dick than you perceive him to be, he didn't even do anything wrong, you must be a horrible person to be around, do you stop talking to people because they drop litter or park on yellow lines as well? Heck if I was your friend I'd do that sort of thing just to piss you off till you learned not to be such a judgemental dick.

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
You have one life, live it how you feel fit. Until you start harming others it's not really their business. We all die in the end anyway. And really, quoting one or two stories about 'how this one guy drank too much and then threw up and he's an ass', that doesn't prove anything. It's like saying that alternative medicine works cos of that one guy who had a cold then went to crystal therapy or something and got better.
In my experience people who are arseholes while drunk are usually arseholes to begin with. Getting so drunk that it makes decent people violent is when its too far, and I completely agree that's a stupid idea. I can be social sober or drunk and have a good time, but having a bit of alcohol does help you relax, its about balancing the line, and having fun with friends. Laughing at silly stuff and making memories, if you can't remember the memories, then you've had too much, I've stepped that line several times, and I've regretted it. Those of you who get high and mighty about being T-total, tbh most of you are arseholes in person
The kind of person who just kills everyone else's fun by judging them for drinking and who try to start serious conversations at parties to sound intelligent. There's a time and place for clever conversations, the time when people drink is usually the time they want to relax and have a laugh, doesn't mean they don't also enjoy those conversations at other times or that those conversations are any less worthwhile.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
Then you know an extremely small cross section of alcohol users.
Of course. Did I ever say that every alcohol user is like that? No, no I did not, as I'm one myself. That'd be silly, generalizing myself with a group of people I can't stand.

Where exactly do you live? Because different cultures have different approaches to alcohol. Here in the UK, it's pretty much a fundamental piece of the social jigsaw. And to look down on people who take advantage of that is sad in it's own right.

And one guy with social ineptitude doesn't constitute a decent example.
In rural Holland. I wasn't just talking about that one guy either, he's just my most recent and most prominent example. But the majority of youths in my own area are like that, it's the ruling mindset, that a party without excessive amounts of alcohol is just incredibly dull, that you can't have fun with friends without booze.

Again, I'm not making a point myself, I'm just pointing out how most kids think around here.
Jonluw said:
I would go so far as to say alcohol has helped me tremendously. Socially and mentally. It's very well possible I would have gotten over that depressive state without it, but I certainly would be just as bored at parties to this day if it wasn't for the ethanol.
Heh, you know that, technically, alcohol is a depressant, right? Really, for your own sake; don't start depending on it. Bad shit happens when you do. [http://www.cracked.com/article_18824_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-quitting-drinking.html]

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Heh, you know that, technically, alcohol is a depressant, right? Really, for your own sake; don't start depending on it. Bad shit happens when you do. [http://www.cracked.com/article_18824_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-quitting-drinking.html]
Not to be pedantic but depressant doesn't mean it makes you depressed. It means it slows down your bodies processes.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Jonluw said:
Not to worry. I'm far from John Cheese.
It's normally weeks between each time I drink.
Well, since it's normally weeks between each time I go to a party or such, but whatever.

Encentrik

Nov 11, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Cowabungaa said:
Abandon4093 said:
Then you know an extremely small cross section of alcohol users.
Of course. Did I ever say that every alcohol user is like that? No, no I did not, as I'm one myself. That'd be silly, generalizing myself with a group of people I can't stand.

Where exactly do you live? Because different cultures have different approaches to alcohol. Here in the UK, it's pretty much a fundamental piece of the social jigsaw. And to look down on people who take advantage of that is sad in it's own right.

And one guy with social ineptitude doesn't constitute a decent example.
In rural Holland. I wasn't just talking about that one guy either, he's just my most recent and most prominent example. But the majority of youths in my own area are like that, it's the ruling mindset, that a party without excessive amounts of alcohol is just incredibly dull, that you can't have fun with friends without booze.

Again, I'm not making a point myself, I'm just pointing out how most kids think around here.
It came off exceedingly like an agenda.

I'm just defensive because it wouldn't be the first time I've seen people on this site relate social drinkers to the scum of the earth.

It gets... grating.
Why would they think that? Social drinking isn't bad at all; it's nice. Was at a friends house last week; we drank a bit but we were already having fun before that.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
It came off exceedingly like an agenda.

I'm just defensive because it wouldn't be the first time I've seen people on this site relate social drinkers to the scum of the earth.

It gets... grating.
Oh, well, it isn't. I really don't actually care as long as they don't push it on me. Sadly they did back in high school, so the kind of people I described leave a bad taste in my mouth, but other than that I have no wish to stop them or anything.
Jonluw said:
Not to worry. I'm far from John Cheese.
It's normally weeks between each time I drink.
Well, since it's normally weeks between each time I go to a party or such, but whatever.
That's good to hear, but y'know, it has to start somewhere and it wouldn't be the first time someone underestimates the abusive effects of alcohol.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Kevin Delgado said:
Can someone please explain this to me?
They're 13. They'll grow out of it. I used to drink to the point of physical sickness, whn I first started drinking. As it stands today, I tend not even to drink to the point of feeling drunk.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Getting shitfaced doesn't seem like a smart idea to me. Drinking can loosen people up some but if it is being used as a substitute for a lack of fun or is being over- consumed because "that's the point", there is fundamentally something wrong with the individual or gathering. I'm a heavy-weight drinker despite my size, I'm not going to blow a lot of money to hand over my cognizance to have fun in a scenario in which I wouldn't normally, that's just stupid.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I think its a bit stupid to be honest, and I don't see the point, which is in part due to the fact that I don't really like the sensation of feeling inebriated.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Getting so drunk that you fall around is fine. Getting so drunk that you can't speak properly is fine. Throwing up? Know your damn limit...

I wont deny that it's a hell of a load of fun to be absolutely pissed and talking complete bollocks, but you have to know where to stop. I guess it does help that I'm a happy drunk though. It's no fun when people get abusive and smash shit up. That's not what a good night out is about.