Opinions on Heavy Drinking?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Alexi089 said:
This'll cover most of it:

He sums up my feelings on social events involving alcohol in general. I for one avoid most social events because of those things he mentioned, I also don't like people much.

Other reasons for me not drinking range from health issues such as my chronic migraines[footnote]When you get migraines and headaches as often as I do, the last thing you want to do is risk triggering one[/footnote] while other reasons are more personal such as "I can find a better use of my time with more enjoyment". I also hate it when people try to get me to drink like it's blasphemous not to. I don't want to, can you leave me the fuck alone?

As far as I'm concerned, drinking is no different from any other form of substance abuse, the only difference is that our society is ok with it because it's legal.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Liquidacid23 said:
LetalisK said:
Liquidacid23 said:
LetalisK said:
I've always been jealous of the 3-beer drunks. Being able to drink most people under the table due to a high resistance may seem like something awesome to brag about, but then I get the tab and my wallet sobs little leathery tears.
yes when last call hits and the bartender hands you back your CC with the tab receipt and it is well up into the triple digits all the joy from bragging about how much you can drink kinda comes back to bite you in the ass
I suppose this is why God gave us pre-gaming then. :D
Recently I started going to the local all-nude bar because it's BYOB... even with the cover charge and mandatory tipping of the skanky hoes I end up saving a few hundred dollars over going to a normal topless bar
What the...I don't even....that is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of. I've never heard of any kind of BYOB bar, let alone a BYOB strip club. That even seems like it'd be counter-productive for the business. o_O

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
Alcohol is a drug, that simple. Its a drug that killed my father and is killing my father's side of my family. And it being a drug, I have a weakness for it, so I stay the hell away from it. Of course I try to live sober in general, but still, I wouldn't rather stab somebody than take a hit of pot.

But more on topic, its a drug. It really is that simple. The same reason somebody would use heroin or cocaine is the same reason somebody would abuse alcohol.

Anybody who says "Because its fun" needs to re-evaluate themselves. Nobody drinks to blackout or vomit "just cuz". There's always a reason to it. Maybe to gain sympathy, or popularity, or to avoid being in a social situation. Maybe to avoid stress and just go braindead for a little while. There's nothing particularly wrong with the last part, except that its an Darwin Award-worthy way of getting that feeling as far as I'm concerned. Nothing bad happens when you crank some music and take a nap or play Halo Grifball for a while, but when you blackout, I'm likely to punch you in the face and drag you to the police station for aggravated assault while under the influence because you wanted to start a fight on a heavily-trafficked street that runs parallel to a major highway.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Why do people drink to excess?

I dunno. I suppose some of the logic goes like this: the first beer was pretty good, the second beer was better, by the third beer I started talking to people I wouldn't normally talk to, by the fourth beer that blonde from Accounting actually started looking attractive - wow, imagine how much fun I'll be having by beer number 12! Here goes nothing!

Some people like getting drunk. Done in a safe environment and with your friends around you, it's harmless fun and something of a bonding experience. That's probably why the teetotaller/light drinker of the group is always seen as a stick-in-the-mud: getting drunk is about letting down barriers, and proving to the rest of your group that you trust them enough to let your guard down.

Of course nobody enjoys throwing up, that's more a product of not knowing when to stop or kidding yourself that you can handle it. Most people grow out of the pathetic, vomit-drenched, paralytic drunk stage.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Getting utterly McWankered twice a year or so is always fun if you can retain memories of the fun you had and the inuries you sustained. Heavy drinking near constantly is stupid as it will eventually wreck your liver and your kidneys. But yeah. Over the years however (Between 15 and 20 (now)) i have learned to drink for the taste of drinks, not for getting drunk but i inevitably get smashed a couple of times (again, per year. more of a drink alone at home man).

Also drinking games. If someone challenges me, shit gets real.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
MisterDyslexo said:
but when you blackout, I'm likely to punch you in the face and drag you to the police station for aggravated assault while under the influence because you wanted to start a fight on a heavily-trafficked street that runs parallel to a major highway.
Well you're a lovely person aren't you? Yes if someone passes out due to drinking you punch THEM and drag them to the police station for assault, that obviously makes you the better person than the guy getting framed by some dick who beat him up in the first place.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
I've only drank a few times in my life and thats mainly because I only drink things that are actually tasty (Rum, Bitter, etc). I've never seen the point of drinking a great quantity of something that tastes horrible just so you can have your brain turn to mush for the night. That being said, I have friends who drink a lot so I feel I have to balance the scales a little. Getting blitzed can be fun sometimes as long as you don't go to far. There, the scales are balanced.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I used to drink, but now days its just not fun anymore. I prefer to get my fun from a good video game or my wife. Drinking just leads to a good buzz, followed by sleepinees, followed by sleep, followed by hang over.

Its just dull.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
I drink dessert wines for the texture and the foamy fizz start (I always hope I get it to stay for a bit longer because that adds to the texture a lot).

I drink hard ciders to kind of have something to drink if I'm out with others who will drink beer or if I'm at a place that has beer and cider. (Again, better with foamy top)

I smoke cigars for the camaraderie and occasional texture, but not the flavor really.

---

I don't do beer, though I've tried a selection.

I don't do hard liquor, though I've tried a selection.

I don't do mixed drinks, though I have tried a selection of them.

I wouldn't do the above three if I was asked to unless I felt it would add to the camaraderie and not get me drunk.

---

You see, I don't plan on getting drunk, nor do I feel the need to, nor will I or have I.

If you can't be happy outside of intoxication, your life sucks and you need to fix that first.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I don't drink, I don't know anyone who drinks and I do my best to stay away from those who do. It's not like I condemn people who drink, but it's just not for me.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
I used to be bad with the drinking. Like, real fucking bad. I'd drink around a half gallon of vodka/rum, along with beers and whatever other substance I could get my hands on in a day. I've been clean from booze since October 1st, and it ain't so bad. My wife has more respect for me, and my kids won't remember their daddy as a drunk.

That being said, I think alcohol is great, and I don't trust too many people that don't drink. If you offer a guy a beer, and he says 'No Thanks', check if one hand is behind his back. Anybody can take anything too far, ya know?

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Squarez said:
Because it's just really fun.

People who don't understand this are generally really, really boring.
Yup pretty much- people who dont drink tend to be almost painfully uptight, Im not saying that one causes the other but an abstemious nature and being a highly strung, neurotic bore tend to go in hand in hand.

Although getting blackout drunk is awful anything shy of that is very cathartic.

Id say something like "if you dont like drinking then by all means dont drink, just dont try and claim it makes you better then everyone else" but then that would make me a hypocrite.

EDIT= Just remembered an awesome quote that sums up my opinion very tidily "If you dont trust yourself to loose control, how can you expect others to trust you?".

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
I'm sick of the judgmental and inexperienced commentators on this forum. And this isn't really aimed at you OP, you are just asking a question about something you don't understand. Which is fair enough.

But as expected. A flow of cookie cutter answers about how they think it's stupid and badong. Taking the smug high road stance, sickeningly common in those with a distinct lack of first hand experience.

"oh I don't need alcohol to be inhibition free, nyah nyah. I don't poison myself with substances to have a good time yarf."

Yea, good for you. I don't need alcohol to have a good time either. Doesn't mean a night isn't amplified by the social lubricant that's been the fuel of practically every great civilization in history.

Whenever a thread comes up about drugs like MJ and booze, you have a horde of people condemning those who take it and hiding behind inaccurate analogies about why it's wrong.

If you personally don't want to drink to get smashed, great don't drink and get smashed. But do not presume to have some sort of moral superiority over those who do. No matter the quantity.

I was out last night with my friends getting well and truly hammered. Guess what? I'm still a functioning part of society and certainly not some sort of lower life form to be studied from afar.

Alcohol can be a fantastic social equaliser. Plenty of my best friendships have been forged whilst under the influence of booze. Friends that I'll likely keep my entire life, all from one commonality. That we met on a night out whilst plastered.

Also, never had a hangover in my life, and not for lack of trying. I'm just lucky that way.
You probably couldnt hear it but when I read this I jumped to my feet clapping like a loon.
Well observed and succinctly put, bloody good show mate.

ChadSexington

Apr 14, 2011
I have a strong Scottish heritage and I grew up in Australia. I don't think I need to point out that I like to drink.

Drinking's fun, that's all there is to it, it's an activity. And to all you fellow nerdy guys who don't understand the social effect alcohol has quite like I do think of it as a potion of charisma, you drink it and your charisma goes up! Suddenly people are more inclined to enjoy your presence! Careful though: if you're already good fun to be around you could end up dangerously awesome.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
It's a more extreme form of escapism. When you're wasted you don't care about your shitty job, or your homework, your girlfriend/boyfriend. All you care about is having fun. For someone who lives in a lot of stress or pressure, it can be a cathartic experience.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I used to drink heavily, on the way up it shut off my inner monologue, cleansed my neuroses and helped me feel less shitty about myself and then on the way down it made my body feel like so much crap I couldn't think.

That was just me though, I don't pretend to understand why other people do it, but it couldn't have been just me? right?

I'm relatively at ease with myself these days and haven't been seriously shitfaced for like 4 years or so.