Origin Boss Says Steam Sales "Cheapen Intellectual Property"

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
My first thought when I read the title of the article on the front page:

Also, Andy, I'm not so sure about your double negatives...

tjoris9

Nov 25, 2008
MrBrightside919 said:
I swear i've heard this before...pretty sure the guys at GOG said the same thing...

...and I still don't think they're right...
I was kind of thinking the same thing. I'll listen to GOG over EA any day because of the 2 big differences between the distribution systems.

1) No DRM or applications to deal with. You download an exe file, install your game, and that is the last you ever need to deal with GOG if you so desire, so long as you keep the exe file handy. It's the most consumer-friendly distribution system possible. EA is too scared of the pirates to do something like that.

more importantly:
2) Until recently GOG didn't have a single game over $10, which is a pretty fair price for most games. On top of that, they also run sales ranging from 40-60% off the price of the games involved (Including their Christmas sale, where they discount almost every game on the site), so they weren't so much saying that sales in general hurt the industry, they were saying that 90% off is excessive and may make people think that even $5 is too much to pay for a game, which could hurt the industry in the long run.

Of course, if more people have access to games because of the low barrier to entry that Steam sales provide, perhaps we'll see more people willing to invest in the $60 games, meaning the potential salvation of the industry in spite of the stuffed shirts at EA.

It could go either way. The only certainty is that when money's tight I'd rather spend my last $60 on a bunch of games that are likely to collectively entertain me for 100's of hours than on one that will probably outlive its welcome in 40-50.

I like Steam and GOG and own more games on both than I will ever be able to fully enjoy in a lifetime. If EA makes some smart decisions, maybe I'll buy into Origin, too, but I doubt it the way things are looking.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
This is why Origin can't compete against Steam. Steam's Daily Deals may not be that great most of the time but atleast they try. EA doesn't even try to give consumers a good deal. Plus I find the interface to be confusing.

Oh well, probably for the best anyway, EA might turn the download servers off for any given game in 6 months and you will no longer be able to download a game you bought from them.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
I can see his point here and he has said don't count out there being sales on origin just not the crazy sales that you get on steam cause I imagine they could end up hurting smaller developers in the future.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
They wouldn't have them if they didn't make lots of moneys. It might cheapen the game for the buyer but when the devs get that cheque they wont be giving a shit. Jealous man is trying to stir shit.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I think Origin are wrong, but you are also wrong to think this is a retail affair.

The App Store is probably one of the most famous bottomed out markets around at the moment. It's hard to sell a game for more than $1. The ease of dropping prices probably actually makes this more likely to happen in a digital market.

Saying that, that's why Steam do sales and not just price drops.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Sure, there have been times when a game is massively undervalued due to steam discounts... but it also means that people will try out games that they otherwise would not have due to their price sensitivities. It's a good way to get surplus sales from people who aren't that interested but are willing to try something out when a sale comes along. Steam won't go against devs' wishes to sell their game at a certain price threshold.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
Jeez EA, really? First I'd like to point out that devs work hard to make that Intellectual Property, but the consumers work equally hard making their money. It's not a high price tag that gives value to something, it's the quality of product. I've seen cheap intellectual property priced at $60 all too many times because of idiot devs releasing incomplete games, Diablo 3 being the latest example.

Another wonderful way to cheapen your IP is the tons of bloody DLC that contribute nothing to your game story-wise, or in any way for that matter. DLC should add richness to an already rich storyline anything else like weapon and map packs just make the game seem as if it was incomplete and not worth its initial price tag. With shitty DLC you're not only cheapening the product but also what my $60 is worth in this industry. Then of course you wonder why people Pirate games on release. Many of those people are tired of their money giving them nothing when buying games so they pirate it, play it, and buy it if they deem the game actually has worth. Obviously not everyone goes out and buys the game after they've pirated it, whatever their reason, and don't misquote me saying that I support piracy, I'm simply saying that I've seen this kind of what I would call 'soft-piracy' I'll even admit to having done it once or twice, oddly enough all with high-priced EA titles I didn't have that much money to just wastefully spend on shit games (I had just been screwed by Dragon Age 2 and had very little trust in EA anymore at the time too), I did buy the games afterwards if you were wondering.

Finally, another great way to cheapen your IP that EA is guilty of doing, is to completely fuck a pre-existing IP's worth. I mentioned DA2 previously, but how about completely screwing up the ending to one of your most promising and anticipated IPs? That doesn't make the consumer feel good about their $60 purchase btw.

What EA needs to realize is that the value of an IP in this industry is determined by the consumers willingness to own their game based on tastes and quality of product, NOT the millions they spend on advertising, buying out reviewers opinions and development. A well advertised, hyped up and polished turd is still a piece of shit, worth nothing to consumers. You also really can't expect to have value in something you yourself put no value in, the expression ' you reap what you sow' comes to mind.

EA hasn't the right to preach about value when they value nothing (or at least very little).

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
oldtaku said:
Here's how I use Steam:

- If I want something at launch, I buy it.

- If things go on sale, I may buy them even if I would /never have bought them/ at full price.

There was nothing cheapened here. I already assigned your game a worth in my head. When it reached that level I bought it.

Guess what, I haven't bought Mass Effect 3 yet. Still waiting.
Exactly. When I see a game I think, "How much would I reasonably pay for this?" If that price in my head is close to the asking price I get it. If not, I don't. I did that before digital distribution existed. EA needs to understand that people hate to pay retail prices for digital games. People don't do what they hate most of the time.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Don't the developers have to okay Steam sales anyway? So is this a case of Valve giving the developer's choice, and EA is "protecting" them?

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
EA must be completely detached from the reality then....
The buying practice of 'waiting a few months for prices to drop' existed WAY before Steam. If the MSRP was reasonable in the first place than consumers wouldn't have to wait for prices to drop to buy games.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
The devaluing of IP's is true, if it was the same IP on sale constantly. Then said IP would indeed decrease in value, that's how brand economics work (either that or I just flunked my finals)

Steam however tends to rotate the incredible amount of IP's it has on sale. Meanwhile, Origin only offers EA games and a few lost casual or capcom games.

In conclusion; it isn't that Steam sales devalue IP's, but that EA would be forced to devalue it's own IP's in order to compete with the constant Steam Sales.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
Daemascus said:
rolfwesselius said:
Daemascus said:
Yet another reason Origin will never be able to truly compete with Steam.
Well their servers are better than steam´s and don´t crap out when you don´t want them to.
Also the games launch faster.
Congratulations, your the first person I've ever heard say good things about Origin.
Here's something else: You can use key from a retail boxed copy of any game (on Origin) to get a digital copy (on Origin)

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
"The gamemakers work incredibly hard to make this intellectual property, and we're not trying to be Target... "

Funny, because I bought ME3 for the PC in Target. Perhaps this guy doesn't understand that games aren't high luxury. It's not like I consider buying a game only if I drive around in a Bentley. Of course, I've never mistaken EA execs for having half a brain to share among them. Anyhow, Origin is providing yet more reasons for me to never buy games on their service. It's almost as if they're trying to make the service as unattractive as possible. Right, it's EA. That's exactly what they're doing.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
I can't wait until the big software publishers die out like the music records companies did. Bye bye EA.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I have three words for him: Go fuck yourself.

Elaborating on that, he doesn't give a rats ass about "cheapening intellectual property" he's concerned that people won't use origin or buy EA games because steam has a similar game that is 70% off this week and can be bought for 12 bucks.