Origin Sale Takes a Jab at Steam

NWJ94

Feb 21, 2013
While it has a long way to go before it's on par with steam, I will say I have become steadily less negative about origin over the last year. I feel less like I'm getting screwed lately when I use it.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
I might get some flack for going against the "hivemind" here, but between Origin's free game program [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127004-EA-Offers-Full-Refunds-For-Unsatisfied-Origin-Customers], and a lot of other improvements the platform has made (such as the ability to stream your games straight to Twitch from the client), Origin is actually shaping up to be... quite a good service.

Never thought i'd say that.
You don't have to sound so defensive about a valid opinion. EA certainly is improving Origin a lot faster than Valve is improving Steam. They've still got some catching up to do, but hopefully if they can avoid some of the pitfalls (like letting every scammer publish their game no questions asked) one day it will at least be solid competition...and that competition should push Valve so they don't become any more complacent.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Steven Bogos said:
Furthermore, if you took advantage of EA offering Battlefield 3 for free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134864-Battlefield-3-Is-Free-For-EAs-On-The-House-Program?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news] as part of its "On The House" program (which you still can, by the way), you can pick up some of its expansion packs for $3 a piece.
But Premium isn't on sale. So you get the maps and the guns, but miss out on any premium bonuses. And if you want to buy premium, there is no price reduction for already owning some of the content.

I was genuinely interested for a moment there, but they still reek scumminess.

Not to mention the Fuck Australia tax they put on their games everything. ($6 for each DLC instead of $3 for example)
This logic confuses me.

"Some things are on sale but not EVERYTHING is on sale so therefore EA is scummy"

Wha? Someone help me out here.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Steven Bogos said:
Furthermore, if you took advantage of EA offering Battlefield 3 for free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134864-Battlefield-3-Is-Free-For-EAs-On-The-House-Program?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news] as part of its "On The House" program (which you still can, by the way), you can pick up some of its expansion packs for $3 a piece.
But Premium isn't on sale. So you get the maps and the guns, but miss out on any premium bonuses. And if you want to buy premium, there is no price reduction for already owning some of the content.

I was genuinely interested for a moment there, but they still reek scumminess.

Not to mention the Fuck Australia tax they put on their games everything. ($6 for each DLC instead of $3 for example)
This logic confuses me.

"Some things are on sale but not EVERYTHING is on sale so therefore EA is scummy"

Wha? Someone help me out here.
Ah, sorry, let me clarify.

Premium contains each DLC pack plus another myriad of bonuses. If people buy each pack separately and then decide to buy premium so they don't miss out on it's bonuses, they're going to have to buy the whole thing again. Then again it might just be me being overly suspicious.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
how cute, tell me when you get 4 more thousand games on your storefront EA!

heh maybe EA will take this digital distribution business seriously afterall, first free BF3 (which i havent really enjoyed all that much but meh, free) and a "nintendont" campaign

this would be exciting if i didnt hate EA to the very core of my soul

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
No EA, these are by and large not games I want to play. There are a handful of them, and then you loaded the rest of the sale with dreck from your modern "focus group" method of game design.

I'd like some old fun games, maybe Battlefield 214-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait

and the reason I have games I don't play is because I see things like C'thulu saves the world, pick it up at a price I want to buy the game at, and LOOK IT CAME WITH SOMETHING.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
Am I the only one miffed that Steam is moving in on GoG's territory by suddenly re-releasing older games without even retro-fitting them?

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Origin almost never has anything I actually want to play. It has DA2 and Da:I which I do want, but that's about it.

Most of my games on Steam I actually play, whether I got them on a sale or not.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
This sale actually made me install Origin for the first time. Ages ago I got Dead Space 1 and 3 from the Humble Origin Bundle. Time to fill the gap for Dead Space 2 for a rather low price.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I don't think I've started up origin since sometime last year. Also for the record I've played the vast majority of my games I've purchased on steam.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So all Valve has to do is offer all of those games at 75% off on top of the hundreds of other games they'll heavily discount? Plus none of the games on Origin are ones I want to play whereas Steam sales offer discounts on games that at least a few people want if not the majority.

But it is nice that Steam will have some competition that might get them to improve. Although it will be a strange day when I'd rather give money to EA than Valve.

Feb 9, 2011
When a company has to insult another to build itself up, that's pretty must the green light for me to ignore them. Not that I wasn't avoiding EA like the plague anyway, but still...

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Grabbed Dragon Age 2. I got Origins cheap on Steam a few weeks ago, so once I get around to playing that, I can jump into the sequel. $6 is a pretty good deal for a lengthy game like that.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I wish the Mass Effect DLC would go on sale at some point - that I would buy. Other than that, I don't see anything on sale that hasn't been on sale before. Or if there is, I don't care about it.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
But that would make me give EA money.

That's an inconvenience I don't think is worth a good deal.

balberoy

Aug 19, 2011
Drummodino said:
Grabbed Dragon Age 2. I got Origins cheap on Steam a few weeks ago, so once I get around to playing that, I can jump into the sequel. $6 is a pretty good deal for a lengthy game like that.
I bought DAII for 5,50? 3 weeks ago, this game is shit.

Origin < Steam

-Still no option to change the language easy,
as for DA:O you have to fiddle with the INI File to set it from german to english in Origin

-Sales Prizes cost still more as Steam, cause EA does not sell complete Editions anymore

-DLC for Bioware Games cant be bought

-In DA:O the DLC still dont work as intendent, essentially DA:O and the Addos are broken

Oh yeah, to all the folks that stand up for EA. DUNGEON KEEPER anyone. Do you have brains like flies. EA fucks as gamers since years, with bad games like the SIMS 3 (DLC etc. and the huge pricetag) or Sim City. Or fuck up beloved IP'sto squeeze idiots from their hard earned money.

Oh the Service to buy shit games, that fuck you up and should never exist is getting better. N1 for a short laugh. "cough cough"

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
It's Origin, so even if I was gifted any games from there I would still no play them.

Free games didn't make me even think about installing origin, a sale won't manage it either.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
balberoy said:
I bought DAII for 5,50? 3 weeks ago, this game is shit.
Subjective. You may hate it, I may love it. Won't know until I actually play it. Not really sure why you replied to me about it when I've already bought it but whatever...

Origin < Steam
In some areas yes, others no. I'd say Steam in general is better, but Origin has it's good points too.

-Still no option to change the language easy,
as for DA:O you have to fiddle with the INI File to set it from german to english in Origin
I didn't know that, pretty annoying if true.

-Sales Prizes cost still more as Steam, cause EA does not sell complete Editions anymore
Uh... Then what was that Mass Effect 3 N7 edition I bought recently? Yes it didn't have all the DLC for the game but it had a fair amount of content. I thought the price I paid was fair for it and the extra DLCs I purchased.

-DLC for Bioware Games cant be bought
Yes they can, but you have to buy them from Bioware directly. Again annoying, but not that big a deal.

-In DA:O the DLC still dont work as intendent, essentially DA:O and the Addos are broken
Haven't played it yet so I can't comment.

Oh yeah, to all the folks that stand up for EA. DUNGEON KEEPER anyone. Do you have brains like flies. EA fucks as gamers since years, with bad games like the SIMS 3 (DLC etc. and the huge pricetag) or Sim City. Or fuck up beloved IP'sto squeeze idiots from their hard earned money.

Oh the Service to buy shit games, that fuck you up and should never exist is getting better. N1 for a short laugh. "cough cough"
EA has done a lot of horrible things, Dungeon Keeper included. But they aren't completely awful, Origin is actually one of their best services right now. They still publish good games so I'll continue to buy those and avoid the not-so-good ones.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
EA made some good moves this year, in fact, if their games were playable at launch i could be interested in some of them...
And until i'm sure Origin don't look at my personal data or files, i won't install it.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
It's still the platform of the trashcan company named EA and I won't support it, even if it would be almost as good as Steam.

RatherDull said:
Hmmm, nope. No games I want to play.
I think so, too. Except Mirror's Edge... it is quite good, but you can get that on Steam sales as well, so I guess that doesn't count ^^.