Origin Sale Takes a Jab at Steam

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Tempting as there are a couple titles I'd like to try out...
but I don't really have the extra money right now AND I likely won't have time to play in the coming weeks. :(

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
michael87cn said:
Origin will always be very limited because they seem to only sell their own games. How good would Steam be if all they sold were half life, team fortress, left 4 dead and portal?
They do have a small library of games from other publishers such as Ubisoft, Warner Interactive, Capcom, and others. They are missing a few publishers, but Steam only had Valve products for a long time as well with adding a few more games at a time.

The problem is they are only adding new games and not including the back catalog for the publishers they are selling for.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Lilani said:
Origin making fun of Steam sounds like Pepsi making fun of Coke. It's cute and all...but everybody knows what everybody's preferred choice is.
But... but I prefer pepsi... I don't prefer origin... I don't think... OH DEAR GOD DO I LOVE ORIGIN!?! DO I THINK EA'S DAY ONE DLC AND HALF BAKED GAMES SHOVED INTO MARKET IS NOT SO BAD!? NOW YOU LISTEN, IT'S JUST A FINANCIAL NECESSITY OF THE CURRENT MARKET! OH FUCK WHAT AM I SAYING!? TELL ME DAMN YOU, YOU HAVE THE WISDOM... am I a fanboy of EA as I am of Pepsi...

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Lol.. I haven't logged onto Origin for at least 2-3 months.. Meanwhile, logging on Steam is the first thing I do when I turn on the computer. Sorry EA, as much as I believe you have been getting better, you have much, much work to do to catch up to Valve/Steam trust wise.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Sanunes said:
I think more competition in the market is going to be a good thing for consumers even if you don't like EA as a company giving people a choice to pick between services will always lead to new innovation and better experiences.
In principle, I agree, but the real curse of DRM is that it forces you to pick sides. If you already have a Steam account with a massive library, are you likely to gravitate toward another service willingly? probably not. You're already locked in. It's the same reason that so many stores push store credit cards. You're not going to Lowes if you have a Home Depot credit card. You're not going to Origin if you're already an established Steam member, and your friends are on there. Companies are finding interesting new ways to control the market place, and kill competition.

Props to EA for finding a way to make "we have fewer games" sound good. That's some serious spin.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
I have Dragon Age Origins and Dead Space 2 on Steam from sales long ago. Still haven't played them.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Fox12 said:
Sanunes said:
I think more competition in the market is going to be a good thing for consumers even if you don't like EA as a company giving people a choice to pick between services will always lead to new innovation and better experiences.
In principle, I agree, but the real curse of DRM is that it forces you to pick sides. If you already have a Steam account with a massive library, are you likely to gravitate toward another service willingly? probably not. You're already locked in. It's the same reason that so many stores push store credit cards. You're not going to Lowes if you have a Home Depot credit card. You're not going to Origin if you're already an established Steam member, and your friends are on there. Companies are finding interesting new ways to control the market place, and kill competition.

Props to EA for finding a way to make "we have fewer games" sound good. That's some serious spin.
I know of at least one friend that is moving to Origin for anything they can because of how Steam handled the Watch Dogs issues. I don't consider it a willing move, but if enough people get frustrated with Steam and start looking it might be a push that is needed to get Valve to start to make changes to fix the problems that are causing people to leave, which will lead to improvement for everyone who uses their products.

Of course not everyone will leave Steam for like you said there are people with vast libraries of games (heck I have over 300 games on Steam) but if enough people grow frustrated and don't care about their library of games it might be the start of something.

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
Psh so much acid in this thread.

If Origin has better deals than Steam, hell yeah Im buying from Origin. Likewise, if Steam has better deals, than I'll buy from Steam. Either way I benefit.

Origin...Steam....meh. Why not both. I have both, and I play on both. Though I tend to lend more towards single player purchases on Origin, while I buy my multiplayer stuff on Steam.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Lictor Face said:
Psh so much acid in this thread.

If Origin has better deals than Steam, hell yeah Im buying from Origin. Likewise, if Steam has better deals, than I'll buy from Steam. Either way I benefit.

Origin...Steam....meh. Why not both. I have both, and I play on both. Though I tend to lend more towards single player purchases on Origin, while I buy my multiplayer stuff on Steam.
these threads are the PC equivalent to console wars. Only pettier.

But yea, why swear blind loyalty to one DRM platform when you can enjoy the perks of both?

MicManGuy

Mar 27, 2011
Drummodino said:
Grabbed Dragon Age 2. I got Origins cheap on Steam a few weeks ago, so once I get around to playing that, I can jump into the sequel. $6 is a pretty good deal for a lengthy game like that.
In my opinion, if there's any game that should go for "On the House" it's Dragon Age 2.

* They cancelled much of its planned DLC
* They gave away Mass Effect 2 with the game
* Retailers refused to stock an Ultimate Edition.
* Dragon Age 3 is coming up for release.

They should use this train wreck of a game as goodwill marketing for DA3. It's really all it's good for at this point.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Now EA just needs to work on releasing good games that aren't just the bare minimum required to be considered "technically a game." Actually finishing said games would be a nice touch too, but I wouldn't want them to take on more than they can apparently handle.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jasper van Heycop said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
how cute, tell me when you get 4 more thousand games on your storefront EA!
Because quantity trumps quality? The whole problem with Steam lately has been that they have so many games and most of them are shit. At least EA sells games that are playable.
And isn't that kind of the point? The lack of self awareness in this thread baffles me. Not you, just....

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Jasper van Heycop said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
how cute, tell me when you get 4 more thousand games on your storefront EA!
Because quantity trumps quality? The whole problem with Steam lately has been that they have so many games and most of them are shit. At least EA sells games that are playable.

OT Nope still not getting Steam, Origin or Uplay. I don't support DRM no matter how nicely it conceals it's inherent awfulness.
because BF4 is playable? because SimCity was playable at launch?

im sorry but steam triumpths origin in both quality and quantity, offerings untold amount of great games from pretty much every conceivable genre, any good puzzle game on origin? how about adventure games? strategy games? simulators? do they atleast have platformers?

atleast theres plenty of battlefield if you never get tired of that

you can check for yourself, count the amount of titles releaed on steam this year with a favorable metacritic score, now count the amount of titles released on origin with a favorable metacritic score, i really cant understand how the existence of bad games affects your enjoyment of good games

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Jasper van Heycop said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
i really cant understand how the existence of bad games affects your enjoyment of good games
It doesn't, those are your words, not mine.

It does however affect my shopping experience when I have to scroll past piles of steaming garbage when I am looking for a new game. We are discussing the shitty storefront here not what it is selling.
search function

i think what its being sold has a lot to with a store, that was the main point of my original comment, if you are critizing the mains tore page, well that has nothing to do with what i said, and if anything i could argue that half of the stuff on the main origin page is DLC

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
The thing with EA/Origin is there's a certain amount of consumer awareness/reputation built up through past deeds.

With Valve/Steam, they built this digital market place themselves and adopted a consumer friendly policy to give us frequent major sales without any competition. EA is likely only doing these sales because Valve does it and they need to stay competitive, but if they were ever to gain a stranglehold on the market place the sales & discounts would probably stop. You can see this sort of behaviour with their sports titles. When there's competition they innovate, but when the competition goes away there's is the only game on the market the innovation & effort slows to a crawl.

Fortunately they're not big enough and the competition is too strong for them to pull the old Microsoft business strategy: embrace, expand, exterminate.