Original RPG ideas

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
Lordpils said:
I haven't posted in awhile, but lately I've been thinking about how tired I am of fantasy RPGs based in Europe, so I ask you what mythology or culture would you use to make a fantasy RPG.

Personally I like the idea of pre-colonial America, things like the Navajo skin-walkers, the White Buffalo Woman of the Sioux, the Thunderbird, coyote the trickster etc. Don't be afraid to elaborate why you think something would be fun.
Read up on the Indian sub-continent and some of thier myths and fables. LOTS of potential there.

I also challenge anyone to think of an Arabian/Egyptian-theme game that isn't a Prince of Persia or Tomb Raider clone.

AWOL

Jun 22, 2010
Valkyrie101 said:
You make a good point, but it could still be done. In open streets you would have to hide your wand and not use magic, or your infamy would increase and the Ministry of Magic would need to come and take you into custody. You could also justify being able to use magic in front of muggles repeatedly, because they have a system where if it does happen, they send out a team to alter the memories of all that witnessed the incident.

Also, there are areas of the world where entire communities are made up of wizards, so places like that wouldn't be a problem.

Actually, come to think of it, having to pretend that you're a muggle could make for a lot of very cool stealth gameplay.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
I think an RPG based in Egypt would be interesting. Egyptology is a mythology that isn't used very much and I think it would be a good idea to try it out.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
AWOL said:
Valkyrie101 said:
You make a good point, but it could still be done. In open streets you would have to hide your wand and not use magic, or your infamy would increase and the Ministry of Magic would need to come and take you into custody. You could also justify being able to use magic in front of muggles repeatedly, because they have a system where if it does happen, they send out a team to alter the memories of all that witnessed the incident.

Also, there are areas of the world where entire communities are made up of wizards, so places like that wouldn't be a problem.

Actually, come to think of it, having to pretend that you're a muggle could make for a lot of very cool stealth gameplay.
True, but I don't think it'd work as a Bethesda style game; probably more of a Bioware design, with different areas that can be travelled between rather than a continuous map. For a start, the locations would have to be very far apart, too far to fit on one map.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
Burningsok said:
I think an RPG based in Egypt would be interesting. Egyptology is a mythology that isn't used very much and I think it would be a good idea to try it out.
A lot of potential floating around in the Egyptian Mythos and pantheon, never mind the environment.

Then you've got all those whackos that think Egyptians had alien contact or whatnot. Just screams Fantasy/Sci-Fi hybrid, to me. Something like Stargate meets Fallout meets Dragon Age. Awesome.

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Razada said:
My friend and I have spent several hours, must be more then 24 now, coming up with a bunch of amazing ideas!

Which are not covered by the creative commons licence. Sorry.

Anywho...
Ideas that I would share? Colonial America + Steampunk = Epic Win.
Just an FYI, it's really difficult to get a copyright out on a basic premise for a story (if it was, both Neil Gaiman and J.K Rowling would have been sued over cribbing The Once And Future King). Keep in mind that until it goes to market, your "amazing ideas" aren't protected by anything but your silence

dylan99952

Jun 16, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
You know what I want to see? A dystopian future that wasn't caused by nukes, meteors, or anything else that reduces the world to looking like it's been swarmed by beetles that devour anything that's green. I want to see a world in which society has almost completely fallen into ruin, but nature itself still looks normal. Well, some parts of it at least. basically what I'm saying is I want to see an apocalypse that doesn't result in every tree being turned into a burnt stump. It'd make for a nice change from the usual appearance of post-apocalyptic worlds. Plus you'd have to get creative and think of something that could bring about the end of modern civilization without destroying the world in the process.
idiocracy?

TriggerHappyJoe

Mar 21, 2009
An Idea I had, that could be suited for any genre.

So a group of scientist create a liquid that causes trees to be able to grow wherever it is placed, but due to an error by one scientist, the solution is too strong and the liquid causes life to spread over a mile for every one drop.

Deciding that it needs to be removed, the scientists try to get rid off it, pouring it away would do no good, so the evaporate it into a gas, the gas spreads into the ventilation and gets outside of the lab. It quickly turns into a virus that attacks the lungs of someone who breathes it in, when they breath it in it becomes a liquid inside the person and starts to grow out of them.

It quickly becomes know as the Eden virus, and eventually the initial idea of the solution (to breed life in a place which otherwise had none) comes into action, on a global scale.

That's where the player comes in, he can choose to join one of three groups, peaceful people who decide to keep everything how it is, an authoritarian group who want to make things how they were, but more authoritarian, and a libertarian group who want everyone to just look out for themselves (only united by their shared goals, but not willing to look out for each other)

If you think about it it suits every genre, if it was a sandbox RPG then you could join one of the three factions, become more friendly with that faction and gain their exclusive bonuses.
For an FPS it could have the [sarcasm] oh so original [/sarcasm] moral choice system as to which side you join.
For RTS, well that's a no brainer

EDIT: if you are a game developer, steal my idea, but please try and give me some credit, or even better hire me as a developer :D

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Razada said:
That said, you got anything on topic to add? Lol.

I still think that Colonial Age America + Zeppelins would be a mixture that would lead to so much more epic win then can be easily imagined.
Eh... I'm not a big fan of the anachronism stew stuff. For my money, magic (even magiteck) is about all I'm willing to handle in terms of "old civilizations with high advancement". If a game is set (intentionally and obviously) in "colonial age America", yet has a much higher era of technological development, it kills any sense of immersion in the story.

There's a reason I like my RPGs to be set in a completely different civilization's developmental history.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
One where you play a werewolf.
As in, conastantly werewolf.
And all your communication abilites would be restricted to barking (or whatever it is that werewolves use), deep angry growls, howling, and ripping people to shreds.
Or by helping them out secretly without them ever realising and hence avoiding a silver bullet in the head.
Tragic hero indeed.
Edit: or, since you were once human and apparently retained your mind (hence freedom of choice), you could for instance draw in the sand with you claws. Or into the wooden walls of houses. *evil grin*
Edit: now that I think about it, that actually sounds like a genuinely awesome game. Especially if it could be in, say, First Person (but good FPS, not bad FPS) and your movement abilities would be somewhat like (except massively enhanced) in Mirror's Edge. And there would be sneaking. And the combat would be somewhat like with the Alien in AvP 2 just more "this-goddamn-gen".

AWOL

Jun 22, 2010
Valkyrie101 said:
True, but I don't think it'd work as a Bethesda style game; probably more of a Bioware design, with different areas that can be travelled between rather than a continuous map. For a start, the locations would have to be very far apart, too far to fit on one map.
This, unfortunately, I would have to agree with. I wouldn't really have a problem with a segmented map though, as long as they made the pieces big enough and still kept it Oblivion-esque.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
I'd like an RPG set in an Alien environment like a space ship or something you don't know anything about,like Stargate Universe.
You would be one of the higher ranking officers. Everyone would be happy with all the new stuff you see in the ship. Suddenly, something dark and gritty happens, your superior gives you instruction (tutorial) and he dies while fighting off the last of the attack.
Now, you and 2 or 3 others would fight over command, with everyone having different priorities.
You carefully need to balance 3 things:
Your Leadership/Charisma. You need this to keep your group together and to order people around.
Your Fighting ability. There are scary aliens you need to kill. This skill makes you able to.
Your knowledge of the ship. You need to keep the ship together and support the people.

You would have some crew members you can train in areas you are not good at, like some soldiers, a scientist or a politician of sorts.
You also need to land on planets to gather food and water. You could meet aliens on these planets with varying degrees of civilization. Some would sell many techy things, while some would pay/trade loads of currency/things for food or a particular item.

I don't have much of a story yet, but I'm not really good at that. Maybe someone could help?

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Nuts to the steampunk. Bring back the cyberpunk.

Also, I'm not sure how you equate medieval Europe with post-nuclear apocalypse and a galactic republic, two top selling RPGs in recent years.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Starcraft RPG. The RTS already has most of the statistics covered. Just a few minor tweaks and we'll have an RPG version of the Starcraft Ghost we never got.