Original RPG ideas

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Ganthrinor said:
I also challenge anyone to think of an Arabian/Egyptian-theme game that isn't a Prince of Persia or Tomb Raider clone.
That would be determined by the game-play wouldn't it? I mena you could just make a game that plays like say Final Fantasy set in Egypt and nobody would call it a clone of either of those games.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Has there ever been a Norse mythology Fantasy game? I want to be a Dwarven warrior with my dragonskin armor fighting Valkyries on Hellhounds!
Or Egyptian Fantasy? Solving a Sphinx's riddles to become Pharao with your own Phoenix!
Or Dutch Fantasy! Fighting cheese on windmills with tulips... as a lame soldier in armor... with... wooden shoes... hookers? No? Never mind...

Cliffie

Nov 25, 2009
I'd like to see a RPG that's heavily based on Norse mythology. People go crazy over how incredibly cool the Greek gods are and whatever but for some reason Thor and friends doesn't get that much love.

So in short, I'd like to see something similar to Valkyrie Profile except less "Japanesey" (nothing wrong with a good JRPG, but it doesn't fit this "idea") with more grit, guts n' stuff.

If there's something like this already. By all means, tell me. I want to try it out :>

DueAccident

Apr 13, 2009
Main ideas I would be interested in seeing would be;

-A good werewolves/vampires RPG. Vampire:Bloodlines was good, I think of myself in the minority in liking it, but it was outrageously buggy and painfully broken in so many ways. A Vampires Bloodlines done with a Mass Effect 2/Bioware level of presentation and polish would be awesome.

-A RPG set in an almost War of the Worlds situations, the earth is under attack from hostile aliens. I am not suggesting War of the Worlds, but it could lead to an interesting world and landscape to explore. It would mix stalker/Fallout 3 style living on the land, trying to salvage what you can from houses/cars/whatever, but not to the extent of those games, at least not all the times.
Certain parts of the landscape might be desolate to Fallout3 standards, while others might be relatively untouched, verdant landscapes. Could lead to situations where you KNOW you are outgunned (I mean fuck me, what are you going to do against the walker things in War of the Worlds? They vaporise people), and so it would be interesting. Seeing hulking mechanical monsters on the horizon, the silhouette of a burning city, knowing you can risk it and try to salvage anything in the city, or help people, or just pass on by.

-If anyone has watched the movie "The Road", I envision an RPG like that would be awesome. Very similar to Fallout 3 in a lot of ways, obviously, but I think the over-arching idea of "Reach the coast" would be a great idea. You know where you are heading, but you are working with vague knowledge of where you are heading. A survival RPG, in that you are avoiding raiders/cannibals/whatever, more so than Fallout3, heading towards an objective at your own pace.

The one thing I look forward to is as technology develops, the games brought out are going to become more and more impressive.

Gamegirl22

Oct 29, 2009
Novskij said:
Gamegirl22 said:
How about the modern times? We don't have that too often. Or perhaps that's boring for an RPG? Though Earthbound and the Persona series prove it doesn't have to be.
GTA says hi.
Yeah, I know. I forgot typing it in when I clicked the post button. I guess when I think of RPG I mostly think of the Japanese ones since that's what I mostly played in terms of RPGs.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Folio said:
Or Egyptian Fantasy? Solving a Sphinx's riddles
That's Greek mythology.

DueAccident said:
-If anyone has watched the movie "The Road", I envision an RPG like that would be awesome.
You ever played S.T.A.LK.E.R.? I watched the Road a couple of hours ago and there are alot of similarities.

A full Road RPG would be cool though.

Kserijaro

Apr 13, 2008
and Rpg that involves a large scale map, and the ability to beocme almost everything that exists? No too much content...Hmm i would like another good RPG where the things you use and do determine the skill you will progress in just like Dungeon siege had it. Something like a alien infestation on a far out planet. and a hero that is stuck up in a bar and he is suddenly taken onto ship and implemented a evolution chip. it helps him think and act faster. That should be a plot to char development and you can go like from engineer that uses machnical weapons and traps to a alien mutant. There is a low(almost 0) number of a good SCi fi RPG with a strong story.Like in my setting the char will have option to take revenge, build his own empire or just become strongest of the species. Idk just my idea.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Woah there, dude. The Spinx is in both Greek AND Egyptian Mythology. Remember the friggin' huge statue in Egypt? Yeah, the Sphinx of Giza staring at the constallation of Leo.
Sphinxes are in more mythologies too. In India they have them and Egypt has more variaty like the Cryosphinx, a lion with a Ram's head.

Now, asking questions to a Sphinx is the most noted Greek myth. But if you could ask one, why not ask another?

Edit: You're not going to tell me that Dragons are only in British legends, do you?

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
If it's Fantasy, you don't really need a scientific explanation. You could say: 'It's magic' and everyone will buy it. Yet, good try for an original story! If you know the details, you can figure out all the possibilities and consequences!