Oscar-Winning Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies at 46

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Demagogue said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Mahorfeus said:
I don't have much sympathy for drug addicts, but this is sad nonetheless.

Admittedly, I do wonder if his filming for Mockingjay was finished or not.
And furthermore, to then acknowledge he had value as a person while simultaneously devaluing him as a drug addict just goes to show that you have no real cohesive opinion, but instead a reactionary catch phrase when presented with ideas outside of your own embarrassingly small world view.
You mean kind of like your reactionary catch phrase to his comment... Hello Pot, this is Kettle.
repackaging what I said to somehow make try and make me look silly is the lamest, most unintelligent and unoriginal internet tactic deployed. When I first came to the escapist, I enjoyed an intelligent, well rounded forum. As time goes on, more and more ruiners find their way here.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I have zero sympathy for drug addicts (especially celebrities) who kill themselves with an overdose. Everything that led to their death was 100% due to decisions they made while fully conscious of what they were getting into.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the man for his accomplishments and I'm sure Hollywood will miss him...but yeah, he pretty much threw his life away when he resorted to drugs.

martyrdrebel27 said:
You have no idea the pain and struggle that not only leads people to become drug addicts, but that they also go through as drug addicts. In that one sentence you've proven yourself to be a far worse person that any drug addict I've ever known or lost. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you dismiss their life and death.
I've walked a mile in his shoes. It's called being a human being and choosing not to resort to drugs no matter what, lots of people do it just fine.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
hazydawn said:
So... was it suicide? It wasn't, right? I mean drug overdose doesn't kill instantly so he'd have pulled that syringe out of his arm if he wasn't high beforehand, or does it?
chances are, it wasn't his first high of the night. He had probably been shooting up 10 minutes before, started nodding out as he shot the last one and was already too messed up to move, let alone pull the needle out. Its not uncommon for junkies to die with a needle in their arm actually. If it WAS his first needle of the night, we're looking at possible manslaughter. See, people who either middle-man will cut a piece for themself, and recut the heroin with somethinelsr, like ambien, thinking the mixture will simulate the feeling well enough, not realizing the combo of heroin and ambien will kill you. Shitty dealers will do this as well, trying to make an extra buck, not realizing or caring that they're killing people.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Yuuki said:
I have zero sympathy for drug addicts (especially celebrities) who kill themselves with an overdose. Everything that led to their death was 100% due to decisions they made while fully conscious of what they were getting into.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the man for his accomplishments and I'm sure Hollywood will miss him...but yeah, he pretty much threw his life away when he resorted to drugs.

martyrdrebel27 said:
You have no idea the pain and struggle that not only leads people to become drug addicts, but that they also go through as drug addicts. In that one sentence you've proven yourself to be a far worse person that any drug addict I've ever known or lost. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you dismiss their life and death.
I've walked a mile in his shoes. It's called being a human being and choosing not to resort to drugs no matter what, lots of people do it just fine.
that's such a small and myopic world view though. You can't honestly hink that because your life and your mind work that way that EVERYBODY else's does too. That's just not reality.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
hazydawn said:
So... was it suicide? It wasn't, right? I mean drug overdose doesn't kill instantly so he'd have pulled that syringe out of his arm if he wasn't high beforehand, or does it?
Heroin overdoses can incapacitate the victim very quickly. I have had operations on my knees and I was put on a on demand morpholine drip. Just just press the button and you can feel it in seconds. Injecting straight into the veins spreads the drug very quickly around the body. He would have been unconscious very quickly.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Yuuki said:

martyrdrebel27 said:
that's such a small and myopic world view though. You can't honestly hink that because your life and your mind work that way that EVERYBODY else's does too. That's just not reality.
By that same logic though, you can't just think that just because YOUR mind doesn't work that way, doesn't mean everyone else's doesn't.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Eri said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Yuuki said:

martyrdrebel27 said:
By that same logic though, you can't just think that just because YOUR mind doesn't work that way, doesn't mean everyone else's doesn't.
no, but REALITY supports my viewpoint. Nobody sits in elementary school and says "I wanna be a junkie when I grow up!" the fact that some people tragically turn to hard drug use proves that ita a coping method some people use. And for some people, who may have grown up in households where drug use is the norm, it doesn't seem out of place for them to do the same thing. For an example that is more palatable, look at how many people take up smoking because their parents do. Its the same thing, a drug used to sedate an anxious mind.

seeing this whole conversation really saddens me at how little people understand drug addiction, and how little empathy people have for those who suffer. There is a distinction between someone who suffers and useless junkie. That is important to understand.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
As little respect as I have for drug abusers to begin with, I have even less for those who fail to do it properly.

An embarrassing addiction met with an embarrassing death.

Found dead with a needle in your arm because you fucked up indulging your drug habit, what a pathetic way to go.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
martyrdrebel27 said:
Well that mentality could be used as an excuse to pardon crimes ("it's not his fault he's a rapist!"), but that's not how it works and criminals still face justice...well, the ones who get caught anyway. There's a right and a wrong here.

One can end up doing getting into heroin and killing themselves as a result of something that happened in their lives, but that doesn't make it any less wrong especially when they are full-grown adults to be held accountable for their actions. This isn't some juvenile case where the parents/situation/etc can be blamed instead of the kid.

A construction worker getting crushed by a falling steel beam, a child death in a car crash...those are tragedies.
A 46 year old celebrity killing himself with a drug overdose...yeah, not really a tragedy as much as a "oh well". One could probably file it under suicide.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I'll never forget the first film I seen him in.

It was called Happiness.

He jizzed on a wall.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Yuuki said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Well that mentality could be used as an excuse to pardon crimes ("it's not his fault he's a rapist!"), but that's not how it works and criminals still face justice...well, the ones who get caught anyway. There's a right and a wrong here.

One can end up doing getting into heroin and killing themselves as a result of something that happened in their lives, but that doesn't make it any less wrong especially when they are full-grown adults to be held accountable for their actions. This isn't some juvenile case where the parents/situation/etc can be blamed instead of the kid.

A construction worker getting crushed by a falling steel beam, a child death in a car crash...those are tragedies.
A 46 year old celebrity killing himself with a drug overdose...yeah, not really a tragedy as much as a "oh well". One could probably file it under suicide.
I mean... You're not wrong, but.. The thing is, ugh, fuck it. I got a little overly defensive for sure, but I just hate how little is bothered to be understood about the mentality of addiction, with evidence showing that there may be a genetic disposition towards an addictive type personality. I'm less pissed now, definitely over reacted,.but personal connection to situations like these inform my opinion. I've known junkie idiots who died and I've known beautiful but lost people who died and both are viewed the same way, as a junkie waste, and that's just not the truth.

Roma

Feb 12, 2012
Yuuki said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

Drug addiction is a mental disorder. Like any other disease, blaming the victim is not only absurd, but downright offensive. This is not to say that people suffering from this condition aren't responsible for their behavior, but it does mean that it isn't simply a question of choosing not to use. To be blunt: it's fucking hard. Falling off the wagon is quite common, and part of the healing process, and unfortunately, tragedies like this one happen.

So, fine. People judge, fair enough. But if you're gonna do it, get your facts straight, do some research and stop spouting nonsense you heard from a friend and/or the evening news. Jesus people, y'all have the internet. Fucking use it.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17999268

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Roma said:
Drug addiction is a mental disorder. Like any other disease, blaming the victim is not only absurd, but downright offensive. This is not to say that people suffering from this condition aren't responsible for their behavior, but it does mean that it isn't simply a question of choosing not to use. To be blunt: it's fucking hard. Falling off the wagon is quite common, and part of the healing process, and unfortunately, tragedies like this one happen.

So, fine. People judge, fair enough. But if you're gonna do it, get your facts straight, do some research and stop spouting nonsense you heard from a friend and/or the evening news. Jesus people, y'all have the internet. Fucking use it.
In order to suffer from the mental disorder known as "drug addiction", one must already be a drug addict to begin with. In order for drugs to fundamentally re-wire someone's brain to the point of severe addiction/dependency, they must first be consumed in by the person over a long enough period of time (or frequency).
I only had to read the first sentence of that article you linked me before I read the word "long-term", at which point I stopped reading because...no shit, long-term of ANYTHING nasty is going to fuck people up.

But who's decision is it to start that process? People. People make the decision.

The same thing can be applied to financial debt, non-illness-related obesity, alcoholism, smoking, etc. If people choose to walk down that path (for whatever reason) and dig themselves into a deep enough hole, OF COURSE it's going to become "fucking hard" to come back. That's the point they have reached.

Mind you, if this is the first time that the guy is doing heroin and he had no goddamn clue how much to inject...and he unintentionally took WAY too much...then yeah, that would be pretty tragic. But something gives me the feeling that he was already well into it.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Hey, it's that guy! Oh, he's dead... For some reason I only recently began noticing him anywhere, starting from MI:III and Pirate Radio. Not his most acclaimed roles, but fun all the same.

Roma

Feb 12, 2012
Yuuki said:
Roma said:

In order to suffer from the mental disorder known as "drug addiction", one must already be a drug addict to begin with. In order for drugs to fundamentally re-wire someone's brain to the point of severe addiction/dependency, they must first be consumed in by the person over a long enough period of time (or frequency).
I only had to read the first sentence of that article you linked me before I read the word "long-term", at which point I stopped reading because...no shit, long-term of ANYTHING nasty is going to fuck people up.

But who's decision is it to start that process? People. People make the decision.

The same thing can be applied to financial debt, non-illness-related obesity, alcoholism, smoking, etc. If people choose to walk down that path (for whatever reason) and dig themselves into a deep enough hole, OF COURSE it's going to become "fucking hard" to come back. That's the point they have reached.

Mind you, if this is the first time that the guy is doing heroin and he had no goddamn clue how much to inject...and he unintentionally took WAY too much...then yeah, that would be pretty tragic. But something gives me the feeling that he was already well into it.
Not every person that uses a drug is going to become addiction. Lot of factors weigh in, such as, well, genetics. You might say nobody should ever use drugs, but you know what, people use alcohol, tobacco, coffee and other mind-altering drugs all the time, so the reasons to which some of it is okay and some of it is not aren't purely scientific. A lot of morality and politics go into it, not all of it very sensible.

People are going to use, that's just a fact. To simply tell them not to and judge them when they do works as well as those abstinence programs. Ask people in USA how that's going.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Well this news just struck me quite a lot, oddly enough. The guy was a great and had a fantastic acting range.

martyrdrebel27 said:
you're absolutely right. But a few things here. One: we should never assume that drug addicts are a victim of their own nihilistic hedonism and instead either assume they had demons or not make judgments about their character at all. Two: think of the context of this story, a man who had everything going for him, had no reason to use, yet 25 years clean, couldn't stop himself. Now imagine carrying that demon with you for that long. It is an everyday struggle, especially im his position where he always had the money, you know he had he access. And he fought it off for so long. Even if he didn't start for tragic reasons, his struggle is not something anyone should dare judge him for. He was some strung out junkie fuckinnover friends and family...
So you're saying that he screwed up his own life, yet you gave shit to another guy for saying that he has no sympathy for drug addicts? where's the logic in that? I don't see how you can enforce "don't judge anyone" (which is basically what you're saying here) by saying "fuck you" to a guy that has a different opinion..

"We should never assume that drug addicts..." You shouldn't assume anything, period. Most people here don't know the guy and that's it, move along, I've never understood how some people seem to be so affected when others state their points of view, especially when it lacks even the slightest offensive connotation.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Grabehn said:
Well this news just struck me quite a lot, oddly enough. The guy was a great and had a fantastic acting range.

martyrdrebel27 said:
you're absolutely right. But a few things here. One: we should never assume that drug addicts are a victim of their own nihilistic hedonism and instead either assume they had demons or not make judgments about their character at all. Two: think of the context of this story, a man who had everything going for him, had no reason to use, yet 25 years clean, couldn't stop himself. Now imagine carrying that demon with you for that long. It is an everyday struggle, especially im his position where he always had the money, you know he had he access. And he fought it off for so long. Even if he didn't start for tragic reasons, his struggle is not something anyone should dare judge him for. He was some strung out junkie fuckinnover friends and family...
So you're saying that he screwed up his own life, yet you gave shit to another guy for saying that he has no sympathy for drug addicts? where's the logic in that? I don't see how you can enforce "don't judge anyone" (which is basically what you're saying here) by saying "fuck you" to a guy that has a different opinion..

"We should never assume that drug addicts..." You shouldn't assume anything, period. Most people here don't know the guy and that's it, move along, I've never understood how some people seem to be so affected when others state their points of view, especially when it lacks even the slightest offensive connotation.
ugh, I was all nice and calmed down, then you gotta come along and rekindle the relationship. Okay, first, I never said it was his own fault, my problem was with the guy saying "I don't feel bad for drug addicts." that's such a broad and cold sentiment, you'd have to have cut off a part of your humanity to actually mean. Have someone you care about deal with this and honestly fight to do better, hen you'll understand. Without that experience, you're unable to understand, and even more upsetting, unwilling to try. I really am shocked to see how uncompassionate people are acting about people with drug problems.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Roma said:
Yuuki said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

thank you, finally. Roma gets it. And is apparently much less prone to violent outbursts, so thanks again. Drug addiction really is a tough hung for certain types of people to comprehend. I think, ultimately it comes down to an individual's ability to empathize and their own personal experiences. They need not even have been a drug addict, just be able to relate and equate it to a more familiar equally destructive and cyclical behavior pattern. It like I told the mod who warned me, saying you don't have sympathy for a dead drug addict is just like in the 80's when people said they didn't feel bad for gay people who had aids, if they didn't want aids, they shouldn't have been gay. Plus... Its like Hitler! (it wouldn't be a proper internet debate without someone comparing the other to Hitler)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Roma said:
Yuuki said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

thank you, finally. Roma gets it. And is apparently much less prone to violent outbursts, so thanks again. Drug addiction really is a tough hung for certain types of people to comprehend. I think, ultimately it comes down to an individual's ability to empathize and their own personal experiences. They need not even have been a drug addict, just be able to relate and equate it to a more familiar equally destructive and cyclical behavior pattern. It like I told the mod who warned me, saying you don't have sympathy for a dead drug addict is just like in the 80's when people said they didn't feel bad for gay people who had aids, if they didn't want aids, they shouldn't have been gay. Plus... Its like Hitler! (it wouldn't be a proper internet debate without someone comparing the other to Hitler)
You could also bring up crack babies. They were literally born as addicts.