Our Covid Response

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I believe I said if masks work so well why did the one airline that stayed masked have a large amount of sick employees and cancelled flights at a different point in time then?
Yes, that's right. Which is a single data point. And you did so as a counterargument to someone pointing out that as a general trend, airlines have had spikes following unmasking.

That's my point: you can't complain about how people focus on convenient single data points rather than the wider trend... because that's pretty much your entire approach.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Tell me when the 1st time public health decided to treat everyone the same (when risk factors vary greatly) and shut down the economy to stop a virus across a nation?
#969: "The covid lockdowns were perhaps a development in scale and tactics."

I can say the same thing about that completely useless "age-adjusted" study you posted, it's complete garbage data that means nothing. I'm not sure whether this is just a genuine lack of understanding or being maliciously vexatious.
Yes, but in your lexicon, "completely useless" means "doesn't say what I want it to".

Florida, in absolute numbers per capita, has done significantly worse than California bar a short period at the start (because covid reached California first) and a short period in 2021 between the Winter 20/21 and Summer 2021 waves where they were roughly equivalent. Thus when you choose to pick out a date in that early/mid 2021 period, you are obviously cheating by cherry picking a favourable data point for comparison which is unrepresentative of the wider picture. Like you cherry pick everything.

Vax mandates and booster mandates do nothing to help...
...you say, based on approximately nothing.

...you're just wasting your pandemic/political "capital" on stuff that doesn't help and then when you want to do something that is good...
LOL! I don't think you quite get it. Political capital is not the issue here. The states with high vaccine refusal are the states that disliked pretty much all other measures are the states that believed more covid was never going to be a problem in the first place (plus at the extreme end Bill Gates' microchips, tyranny, blah blah blah).

In other words, people on your end of the spectrum. You've never been on board with the programme right from the start, you've leapt on all manner of faddish nonsense, always been suspicious of government and government agencies, always fighting the science. That's just you, that's your mindset, and likewise the millions like you. The mindset of distrust in government, Big Pharma and other institutions, a mindset that is stronger in red states. This is where you'd always have been, and you can play at all the rationalisations you like, but you're not fooling anyone.

Also, you keep avoiding actually talking about the argument at hand. Why is doing a focused protection on the vulnerable worse than doing the equal protection to all of the population (when risk factors greatly vary within said population)?
I don't know that it would: the counterfactual data does not exist.

However, the GBD was a higher risk theory that, if wrong, would very likely have led to significantly worse outcomes. And the thing is that as more data arrived, several of the hypotheses that underpinned it did indeed turn out to be wrong.

Next, "focused protection" is all well and good, but how would we achieve focused protection? That remains conveniently unanswered, but is very important. As I have already pointed out, various states disdained lockdown, but in fact had no active policy of "focused protection". This is also very important, because it exposes the fatuous, politicised nature of the GBD. It was intended by its spawning right wing think tank, and to some extent served its purpose, as an excuse for governments to do next to nothing. Its recommendations thus were not even really carried out: those that wanted just took the argument to refuse lockdown, and ignored the bits about provision for the safety of the vulnerable.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
"are not sufficient" somehow = "do nothing to help"

it's the same bog standard conservative logic of make the government not do enough -> government doesn't work, see?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Congratulations on coming up with a reason to not use that graph as an example of a state doing well with protecting the elderly? I have no idea how you can hold the opinion that it was at all smart to use that graph while explaining precisely why you shouldn't use that graph.
This is much of why I get so fucking bored reading his shit. He's happy to grab a random website figure to claim "Florida did as well as California" that he doesn't really understand and tout it as a great attempt to get a more accurate picture, and then froths with rage when a study no worse (and probably better) contradicts him. Because there's no consistency in analytic quality, just hagiography of what supports and condemnation of what opposes him.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Dollars aren't lives, first off. Second off we already have per capita calculations if you want to control for a segment of population that doesn't erase deaths.

Yes they have, just because you don't read doesn't mean they haven't been provided.

Congratulations on coming up with a reason to not use that graph as an example of a state doing well with protecting the elderly? I have no idea how you can hold the opinion that it was at all smart to use that graph while explaining precisely why you shouldn't use that graph.

Look at other data, like the graph I posted that does in fact do precisely what I said to do pages ago and you're now pretending you came up with.

Because red states followed similar strategies, i.e. Florida's strategy. And it didn't work. By the weight of statistics, states that took Florida's stance did on average worse than states that went more in the direction of California.

You really don't get to complain about cherry picked data. Now explain away how the graph trends with Florida style states doing conspicuously worse than states that took the disease more seriously. Because it's not just Florida (which wowee look, they killed their elderly real good), your whole argument for how the disease should be handled was executed by a very good chunk of the country and it is consistently shown to be a bad choice.

Then you really have to explain why you believe your own source since they say the opposite. Looks like the source you use to tell everyone Florida's doing well is just making up numbers. Absolutely no reason anybody should trust it then, and should be thrown out like everyone told you pages ago.
Explain why adjusting for inflation is bad because it counts some dollars less? Yes, lives and dollars aren't the same, but the argument is the same, why is counting some things less inherently bad? Math doesn't care what something is.

Again, no they have not. Agema's posted study was horseshit.

I've always been for looking at long time periods. I can just as easily find a time period where most of the north was in the midst of a wave while the south wasn't and show how much better the south did as some "proof" that red states are better (which, again, I never said or claimed or cared about). It's disingenuous select time periods that are good for your argument and act like they prove anything. I selected the time (~1 full year) before vaccinations became widely available because that will most demonstrate what policies actually did anything. After the vaccine is widely available, death rates will skew based on vaccination rate vs anything else. And, guess what that period looks like? Florida beating even California in straight mortality, it doesn't even need to be age-adjusted and Florida still wins.

They probably have different sources. My linked site says their sources and their demographic data isn't the most recent. Statistica makes you pay to see the sources. That's why I've said like a million times, if anyone has a better source, I'm all ears.

Yes, that's right. Which is a single data point. And you did so as a counterargument to someone pointing out that as a general trend, airlines have had spikes following unmasking.

That's my point: you can't complain about how people focus on convenient single data points rather than the wider trend... because that's pretty much your entire approach.
If masking works and keeps workers and passengers safe on airplanes, then it would work all the time. What general trend? It was like one airline.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
#969: "The covid lockdowns were perhaps a development in scale and tactics."
Why is an increase in scale and tactics better?

Yes, but in your lexicon, "completely useless" means "doesn't say what I want it to".

Florida, in absolute numbers per capita, has done significantly worse than California bar a short period at the start (because covid reached California first) and a short period in 2021 between the Winter 20/21 and Summer 2021 waves where they were roughly equivalent. Thus when you choose to pick out a date in that early/mid 2021 period, you are obviously cheating by cherry picking a favourable data point for comparison which is unrepresentative of the wider picture. Like you cherry pick everything.
It also doesn't say what you want it to either. I'll give up the battle of Florida in order to win the war. Your study shows red states did far better than blue states, I'm pretty sure that's saying something you don't want it to. It is completely useless data because it's useless not because it doesn't say what I want. If you want to agree that your study is a great overall picture of what states did well in protecting their elderly, I'll give up Florida for a red state win that you won't like at all.

A "short" period of time is an entire year? I picked it because it's pre-vaccine time period where said policies will demonstrate the most differences.

...you say, based on approximately nothing.
It's all based on science.

It's takes ~1,000 unvaccinated to be kicked out of a place to prevent 1 infection. Guess what? Most places don't have thousands of people.

Paul Offit even told his own son not to get a booster.

LOL! I don't think you quite get it. Political capital is not the issue here. The states with high vaccine refusal are the states that disliked pretty much all other measures are the states that believed more covid was never going to be a problem in the first place (plus at the extreme end Bill Gates' microchips, tyranny, blah blah blah).

In other words, people on your end of the spectrum. You've never been on board with the programme right from the start, you've leapt on all manner of faddish nonsense, always been suspicious of government and government agencies, always fighting the science. That's just you, that's your mindset, and likewise the millions like you. The mindset of distrust in government, Big Pharma and other institutions, a mindset that is stronger in red states. This is where you'd always have been, and you can play at all the rationalisations you like, but you're not fooling anyone.
Both sides are as uninformed, but just in different directions.
For unvaccinated hospitalization risk, 2% of Democrats responded correctly, compared with 16% of Republicans. In fact, 41% of Democrats replied that at least 50% of unvaccinated people have been hospitalized due to COVID-19.

I don't know that it would: the counterfactual data does not exist.

However, the GBD was a higher risk theory that, if wrong, would very likely have led to significantly worse outcomes. And the thing is that as more data arrived, several of the hypotheses that underpinned it did indeed turn out to be wrong.

Next, "focused protection" is all well and good, but how would we achieve focused protection? That remains conveniently unanswered, but is very important. As I have already pointed out, various states disdained lockdown, but in fact had no active policy of "focused protection". This is also very important, because it exposes the fatuous, politicised nature of the GBD. It was intended by its spawning right wing think tank, and to some extent served its purpose, as an excuse for governments to do next to nothing. Its recommendations thus were not even really carried out: those that wanted just took the argument to refuse lockdown, and ignored the bits about provision for the safety of the vulnerable.
Please stop with the exaggerations. The main doctors that basically just wanted to open up a conversation with the GBD are all very accomplished and experts in their fields. They aren't some fringe scientists. DeSantis actually listened to the science and arguments and did implement things to protect the vulnerable. GBD is not some high risk theory, it's based on what we've always done in history during other pandemics and outbreaks. Lockdowns are more theory than the GBD.

Like there's any data on long covid for infections after acquiring immunity. For me, it's short covid, I had it twice and both times were shorter than a normal head cold. I personally prefer catching covid over a cold or flu, the symptoms are less annoying and don't last as long.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
This is much of why I get so fucking bored reading his shit. He's happy to grab a random website figure to claim "Florida did as well as California" that he doesn't really understand and tout it as a great attempt to get a more accurate picture, and then froths with rage when a study no worse (and probably better) contradicts him. Because there's no consistency in analytic quality, just hagiography of what supports and condemnation of what opposes him.
And you try to gaslight me telling me that covid isn't airborne and getting it from outside or surfaces is like a thing.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Explain why adjusting for inflation is bad because it counts some dollars less? Yes, lives and dollars aren't the same, but the argument is the same, why is counting some things less inherently bad? Math doesn't care what something is.
Because they're different models used for different points, discounting the ethics of your warped view of reality.

Again, no they have not. Agema's posted study was horseshit.
It's better than literally anything you've ever posted. Unfortunately it's another in a long list of sources proving you wrong.

I've always been for looking at long time periods. I can just as easily find a time period where most of the north was in the midst of a wave while the south wasn't and show how much better the south did as some "proof" that red states are better (which, again, I never said or claimed or cared about). It's disingenuous select time periods that are good for your argument and act like they prove anything.
You should stop cherry picking data then.

I selected the time (~1 full year) before vaccinations became widely available because that will most demonstrate what policies actually did anything. After the vaccine is widely available, death rates will skew based on vaccination rate vs anything else. And, guess what that period looks like? Florida beating even California in straight mortality, it doesn't even need to be age-adjusted and Florida still wins.
According to the CDC

[image to be in a separate post as the Escapist is too angry to let me post a link or a picture, damnit]

You're full of shit, again. Florida's per capita death rate is ~50% higher than California's.

They probably have different sources. My linked site says their sources and their demographic data isn't the most recent. Statistica makes you pay to see the sources. That's why I've said like a million times, if anyone has a better source, I'm all ears.
"I can't tell how to read statistics, so I'll just believe anything anyone who agrees with me says and discount any sources I don't agree with." Yup, got it, you're illiterate. You put your faith into a source that you know doesn't use accurate data and expect us all to believe literally anything they say. Where even if they have the right data, they still will come to a faulty conclusion 100% of the time due to their own methodology.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
And you try to gaslight me telling me that covid isn't airborne and getting it from outside or surfaces is like a thing.
So does hand washing not help against cold and flu too, or is it just SARS-COV-2 that it's completely ineffective against? I'd like to let the pharmacy I work at know they can stop

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If masking works and keeps workers and passengers safe on airplanes, then it would work all the time.
Say it with me: Other. Factors. Exist.

Apply the same logic to something else. How about.... the presence of lead paint in childrens' toys. A few decades ago, the presence of lead paint in childrens' toys resulted in lead poisoning. Once the connection was discovered, the toy companies had to switch to non-lead-based paints, which didn't poison people anywhere nearly as much.

Obviously people still got poisoned occasionally. Obviously there were still occasionally even spates of lead poisonings. Because there are 10 thousand other factors at play.

Now, what you're doing is finding a single spate of poisonings, and confidently stating that "if phasing out lead paint worked, it would work all the time! So therefore phasing out lead paint hasn't worked!"

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Why is an increase in scale and tactics better?
Why isn't it?

It also doesn't say what you want it to either. I'll give up the battle of Florida in order to win the war. Your study shows red states did far better than blue states, I'm pretty sure that's saying something you don't want it to. It is completely useless data because it's useless not because it doesn't say what I want. If you want to agree that your study is a great overall picture of what states did well in protecting their elderly, I'll give up Florida for a red state win that you won't like at all.
I have no particular issue about anything being a "red state". The question is about covid tactics, and there was not uniformity of tactics across different red states or different blue states, plus of course wide variation in all sorts of other factors that influenced the impact of covid on individual states.

On the one hand, I object to your inadequate use of data to make arguments they can't support. On the other, I'm happy to refute specifics of those arguments with other data. The purpose of the latter is not to positively "prove" the opposite of what you claim, it is to underline just how poor your arguments are. The reason for this is that I think science matters, and that if you want to make a firm scientific claim, you need firm evidence to support it. In that sense, I am actually more putting forward a form of "null hypothesis" - no more than that your claims are empty simply because they lack sufficient justification.

A "short" period of time is an entire year? I picked it because it's pre-vaccine time period where said policies will demonstrate the most differences.
It's not about "short" or "long". If you don't get that by now, you're either disingenuous or unable to understand.

It's all based on science.

It's takes ~1,000 unvaccinated to be kicked out of a place to prevent 1 infection.
Whatever is based on science, it's not what you are claiming. Your evidence here is completely unable to support your claim. I'm not even sure you remember what your claim is, you've just spaffed some random paper that can be construed to oppose vaccination.

Both sides are as uninformed, but just in different directions.
I'm not really very interested in "but both sides" cliches. It's just whataboutism.

Please stop with the exaggerations. The main doctors that basically just wanted to open up a conversation with the GBD are all very accomplished and experts in their fields. They aren't some fringe scientists. DeSantis actually listened to the science and arguments and did implement things to protect the vulnerable. GBD is not some high risk theory, it's based on what we've always done in history during other pandemics and outbreaks. Lockdowns are more theory than the GBD.
In a sort of way, yes parts of the the GBD is based on what has been done before: but you're apparently not happy with lockdowns on that basis, so why is the GBD okay? You can't just pick and choose like that. I would also note that being "accomplished" and "expert" does not prevent someone being part of a fringe. Being part of a fringe means holding a view far from the norm, not being uninformed and unskilled.

The GBD did not put forward any ideas for how to apply practical focused protection. Unless you count restricting entry to care homes (which it did pre-GBD), I'm not sure Florida did, either. DeSantis did not listen to "the science". He listened to only to the scientific discussion that suited his ulterior motives, which is tantamount to not listening to science. It's okay to have this "conversation", but it doesn't change the fact that the GBD was a heavily politicised discussion piece that was utilised by primarily right-wing governments for ulterior economic motives, not the greater welfare of the general public.

I mean, this is a fundamental absurdity. You're here in half the threads complaining about politicians working for elites and their own self-interest, and then suddenly when DeSantis carries out a measure, you do a swift turnaround and imply he did it out of the goodness of his heart.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

They just can't help themselves, can they?

Although I guess I'm happy to see that Covid no longer exists because why else would they try to encourage cities to give their Covid money to cops otherwise, right?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, Covid became like, the second highest cop-killer in the US after traffic accidents, but I'm pretty sure that's not what they're spending money on

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Oh man, right as they're trying to crack down on Abbott spending our COVID relief money on stupid border stuff. Way to shoot yourself firmly in the foot, multiple times.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Because they're different models used for different points, discounting the ethics of your warped view of reality.

It's better than literally anything you've ever posted. Unfortunately it's another in a long list of sources proving you wrong.

You should stop cherry picking data then.

According to the CDC

[image to be in a separate post as the Escapist is too angry to let me post a link or a picture, damnit]

You're full of shit, again. Florida's per capita death rate is ~50% higher than California's.

"I can't tell how to read statistics, so I'll just believe anything anyone who agrees with me says and discount any sources I don't agree with." Yup, got it, you're illiterate. You put your faith into a source that you know doesn't use accurate data and expect us all to believe literally anything they say. Where even if they have the right data, they still will come to a faulty conclusion 100% of the time due to their own methodology.
No they are not, adjusting for inflation and age is literally doing the same thing with regards to math.

I can tell you're not even trying to actually have a legitimate debate at all because Agema's study showed red states doing the best and you just want to go with the data because it shows Florida doing bad in it.

I'm not the one posting studies looking at small time frames like March 5, 2021 - May 5, 2021 and jumping to conclusions from that. I've never once posted anything with such a short time frame unless it was at the beginning of the pandemic and there was nothing but short time frames then. I'm not the one cherry picking data.

OMG, I SAID IN THE FIRST YEAR OF THE PANDEMIC FLORIDA BEAT CALIFORNIA IN STRAIGHT MORTALITY, WHICH HAPPENED. THAT FIRST YEAR IS THE BEST TO DETERMINE WHAT MEASURES OUTSIDE OF VACCINES ACTUALLY DID ANYTHING BECAUSE SINCE VACCINES HAVE BECOME WIDELY AVAILABLE, THAT IS THE #1 DETERMINING FACTOR IN MORTALITY.

You're against adjusting for things and I'm being told I come to the wrong conclusion 100% of the time...? You guys can't even come to the conclusion that you shouldn't vote for Reps or Dems.

Say it with me: Other. Factors. Exist.

Apply the same logic to something else. How about.... the presence of lead paint in childrens' toys. A few decades ago, the presence of lead paint in childrens' toys resulted in lead poisoning. Once the connection was discovered, the toy companies had to switch to non-lead-based paints, which didn't poison people anywhere nearly as much.

Obviously people still got poisoned occasionally. Obviously there were still occasionally even spates of lead poisonings. Because there are 10 thousand other factors at play.

Now, what you're doing is finding a single spate of poisonings, and confidently stating that "if phasing out lead paint worked, it would work all the time! So therefore phasing out lead paint hasn't worked!"
Seriously? That is your argument? Sure coating a toy made of lead with lead-free paint would still result in lead poisonings. The thing with toys is that I'd be guessing that the only lead in the toys was from the paint? Thus, if you take the lead out of the paint, then there's no lead. How are there 10,000 other factors in lead poisoning via toys, the only factor is not making the toy with lead.

Virus transmission is way different and does have tons of factors so why do you think masks are some main factor here? If you had like 10 airlines and 5 airlines unmasked while the other 5 didn't, and the 5 that unmasked all showed significant increased transmission, then you might have something there. But, as I recall, it was just comparing 2 airlines. Covid just working it's way through the unmasked airline at the time could have coincided when they stopped masking since you're only comparing 2 airlines. If you're gonna make the argument that covid spread because of unmasking and not the 9,999 other factors, I will counter that poor argument with the same poor argument of if masks work then why'd the other airline have massive cancellations at a prior time?

Why isn't it?
Why would keeping people home that have very low risk from covid and also very very low community presence of covid be a good thing?

I have no particular issue about anything being a "red state". The question is about covid tactics, and there was not uniformity of tactics across different red states or different blue states, plus of course wide variation in all sorts of other factors that influenced the impact of covid on individual states.

On the one hand, I object to your inadequate use of data to make arguments they can't support. On the other, I'm happy to refute specifics of those arguments with other data. The purpose of the latter is not to positively "prove" the opposite of what you claim, it is to underline just how poor your arguments are. The reason for this is that I think science matters, and that if you want to make a firm scientific claim, you need firm evidence to support it. In that sense, I am actually more putting forward a form of "null hypothesis" - no more than that your claims are empty simply because they lack sufficient justification.
That study is bad because it's bad. I also don't care about red states and blue states. However, your study shows the states that have done the worse were the best at protecting their elderly population. That really doesn't make sense and why I call it a bad study and bad data. And telling me that say 80% of one state's deaths was from the elderly while another state was 75% doesn't really show anything meaningful. The more unhealthy non-elderly you have the more that ratio will be skewed and that lines up just about perfect with obesity rates. Because you have more non-elderly dying doesn't mean you protected the elderly better.

It's not about "short" or "long". If you don't get that by now, you're either disingenuous or unable to understand.
I understand your argument that California may have had more covid the first year and that skews the data. But vaccine rate also skews the data in the 2nd year of the pandemic too. What works outside of immunity is the question.

Whatever is based on science, it's not what you are claiming. Your evidence here is completely unable to support your claim. I'm not even sure you remember what your claim is, you've just spaffed some random paper that can be construed to oppose vaccination.
Vaccine mandates don't reduce infection numbers. I literally just said that vaccines are by far the best way to lower mortality rates, why would I say vaccines are bad?

In a sort of way, yes parts of the the GBD is based on what has been done before: but you're apparently not happy with lockdowns on that basis, so why is the GBD okay? You can't just pick and choose like that. I would also note that being "accomplished" and "expert" does not prevent someone being part of a fringe. Being part of a fringe means holding a view far from the norm, not being uninformed and unskilled.

The GBD did not put forward any ideas for how to apply practical focused protection. Unless you count restricting entry to care homes (which it did pre-GBD), I'm not sure Florida did, either. DeSantis did not listen to "the science". He listened to only to the scientific discussion that suited his ulterior motives, which is tantamount to not listening to science. It's okay to have this "conversation", but it doesn't change the fact that the GBD was a heavily politicised discussion piece that was utilised by primarily right-wing governments for ulterior economic motives, not the greater welfare of the general public.

I mean, this is a fundamental absurdity. You're here in half the threads complaining about politicians working for elites and their own self-interest, and then suddenly when DeSantis carries out a measure, you do a swift turnaround and imply he did it out of the goodness of his heart.
Florida did for like a year heavily restrict access to care homes. What covid policy did DeSantis initiate or not initiate squarely based on his ulterior motives and not science? The GBD scientists did not hold views far from the norm, they are not fringe scientists. That is a lie and fabrication. I don't care about the politics of anything. You have yet to directly talk about why doing focused protection is worse than the same protection to all in any sort of logical or scientific argument. Show me that same protection for all saves more years of life. That is what I care about, not if the guy in the blue or red tie was right.

I mean, Covid became like, the second highest cop-killer in the US after traffic accidents, but I'm pretty sure that's not what they're spending money on
That was a very misleading statistic that was extremely specific, more cops (when you include them all) died of suicide than covid over that time frame.