Our Little Pony

Contradiction

May 20, 2009
I have to admit when I saw it in the latest banner I was kinda taken aback.
Not really a pony fan and when people do pony for its own sake the comedy runs dry BUT

Loved it, the byline, the paragraph, all of it, hilarious shit keep it up.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Making a comic about sexism in gaming/geek culture and combining it with MLP is the most genius thing about all this.
Question:
How do you get more views and comments than normal?
I do love it when they do comics like this, subtle as a claw hammer and pure gold in the comment threads.

Don't think they've topped the Retake Mass Effect comic yet, though.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I find this comic very unrealistic. Not enough stranded whales.

Atomic

Apr 20, 2012
I have a question semi related to the message in this comic.
So aside the hilarious irony, I saw this today just after agreeing to go to a convention with a girl I like (for obvious reasons) and I despise the show. It's colorful, bland and cheery characters makes me hate my fellow man more than usual.
Is this right? Do any bronies here find this reprehensible?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Phasmal said:
Nobody gets to decide whether or not someone is `geeky enough` to be there or not.
Why do you get to decide who gets to decide then? I don't really think that's a defensible position.

I'm not making any claims about the topic at hand, just asking a question.

JayBlanc

May 19, 2011
Oh dear god the amount of people commenting who failed to get the REALLY OBVIOUS POINT.
I wonder what would happen if someone posted "A Modest Proposal" to the Escapist...

Atomic

Apr 20, 2012
My apologies.
I was asking if bronies and fans of MLP find it insulting that someone would go to an MLP convention when they have no interest in the show and actively hate MLP.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Eri said:
Phasmal said:
Nobody gets to decide whether or not someone is `geeky enough` to be there or not.
Why do you get to decide who gets to decide then? I don't really think that's a defensible position.

More of a heckle than a question, but fair enough.
I didn't say `I get to decide` I said `nobody does`, because no one can know all other people's reasons for being there and nobody should have to justify themselves for something like that.
I envision a world where people go to cons for their own damn reasons and nobody bitches about it.

nouseforamonkey

Aug 1, 2012
Atomic said:
My apologies.
I was asking if bronies and fans of MLP find it insulting that someone would go to an MLP convention when they have no interest in the show and actively hate MLP.
If you're hanging around being cold and distant,or being actively abusive and hateful, you're not going to impress the girl you're going with. It's usually pretty obvious to everyone else when someone is stuck somewhere they don't want to be.

Have you actually watched any of the show?

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
PhunkyPhazon said:
Yal said:
While I have heard people speculate that bronies don't really like the show
I can say with 100% certainty that those people have no idea what they're talking about. At all.
Gonna have to agree.(can't stop looking at your avatar... But then wasn't that the point of the comic?
It's not genderflipped for Brony con; the harassment and tone is flipped for other kinds of cons though. "She doesn't really like X-men she's just here for the attention and male approval."

The point is that no one, not bronies, not women, not any minority of any kind ever "knows better" and will pull the same kind of crap that they deal with if they can.

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
Greets!

Curious, I've never been to a Brony con, but I do have a fondness for My Little Pony. I only identify my like for MLP within itself though, I am not keen to join a community about it. The comic linked in the OP is quite amusing, I've seen this type of behaviour from young ladies in the few gaming conventions I have attended, so I could believe that this sort of thing can happen.

But that is not the point of this comic, is it? This is a gender reversal of something that tends to happen in any disparity of gender in any community, which in my mind defeats the purpose of the comic. Untill you pay attention to the petty little tit. Then this merely turns into one big sarcasm and a funny one at that. :)

Nothing should ever be assumed of an individual's motivations for being at a particular event, even if they display their motivations to be ignorant of the content of the community attending. If guys want to gawk at 'booth babes' then fair enough, and similarly should a woman want to stalk the floor looking for 'easy love' then yet again, fair enough. But this is not a perfect world, people will and do judge each other based on their own perceptions and preferences.

If a small group of women come into contact with a large group of men, they will draw attention, similarly the reverse is also true. What type of attention depends on the needs of the individuals of the group. Certainly, of all of the gaming conventions I attended, I had became inanely bored because of the fact that I simply wanted to play my games on my own those days. No amount of booth babes, attention seekers or overly enthusiastic street fighter players was going to allieviate my boredom.

Watching people fight over their assumed motivations can be funny to watch, though.

EDIT: PS: Twilight is craziest pony. No, dont bring up cupca- *suddenly disappears, dun-dun-dun*

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
Phasmal said:
Eri said:
Phasmal said:

More of a heckle than a question, but fair enough.
I didn't say `I get to decide` I said `nobody does`, because no one can know all other people's reasons for being there and nobody should have to justify themselves for something like that.
I envision a world where people go to cons for their own damn reasons and nobody bitches about it.
I hope for this world too.

Atomic

Apr 20, 2012
nouseforamonkey said:
Atomic said:
My apologies.
If you're hanging around being cold and distant,or being actively abusive and hateful, you're not going to impress the girl you're going with. It's usually pretty obvious to everyone else when someone is stuck somewhere they don't want to be.

Have you actually watched any of the show?
I have watched 3 episodes.
Painful is an understatement.