Our Little Pony

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
first off I just wanted to say I found this image and consider it awesome....

I am a male of the species homosapien and I do watch and enjoy MLP. However I do not consider myself a brony, because I don't partake in the social aspects of MLP fandom... I just watch the show. Would I be correct in my assertion?

Alterego-X said:
Threeseventyfive said:
This thread is the definition of irony.

A comic is posted about tolerance using characters from a show about tolerance, and then the trolls, haters and militant bronies show up spreading hate and making everyone look like a twat.
The word "tolerance" didn't ever appear in MLP.
Well yes, because in reality the goal is acceptance, and THAT is the goal of MLP. But for some they need baby steps to get there, and so first comes non aggression, then tolerance, and eventually, hopefully, acceptance.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
So is that cigar a thing in the cartoon or artistic license? Id watch a show with a pony smoking a giant cigar all the time.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
CaptainMarvelous said:
So is that cigar a thing in the cartoon or artistic license? Id watch a show with a pony smoking a giant cigar all the time.
Sorry, just a license a kid targeted show having smoking hasn't happened in a while... outside of anime.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Soak said:
I... ehm... well... what?
Sorry, but right now, i am somewhat confused!
The comic by itself, kinda funny, i tried to get the reference, read the article, read a lot of comments, but now i have even less an idea of what this is trying to express, who is arguing with whom about what exactly and so on.
I would like to ask if someone can explain this to me, but i guess it would only leave me with all clarities eliminated.
Yeah...
The comic has genders reversed. The idea is that (contrary to what the article says) no one should be able to tell you why and how you want to attend an event or how you "dont deserve it" or "arnt a real goer" because you dress in a way they deem is "seeking attention". They dont deserve to gatekeep conventions. Male goers usually do this to women who cosplay in skimpy outfits, saying they are there just for the attention and arnt "real" comicon goers. The article is an example of how common and stupid this behaviour is.

The idea is to highlight that no one has the right to say why you are going to an event you chose to attend or belittle you for how you went and what you wore or what you like.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Threeseventyfive said:
Pinkamena said:
Threeseventyfive said:
This thread is the definition of irony.

A comic is posted about tolerance using characters from a show about tolerance, and then the trolls, haters and militant bronies show up spreading hate and making everyone look like a twat.
What did you expect? You're on the internet, son.
That doesn't excuse all these morons from being morons.

Here's my advice to both sides:

HATERS: You don't have to watch the show, nobody is forcing you to. Just ignore the bronies if you don't like them. Trolling people is just going to make things worse for everyone.

MILITANT BRONIES: Stop trying to bully people into becoming bronies, you're just going to make them hate you. Remember, we're here to spread LOVE AND TOLERANCE, not more hate. Stop making all bronies look like idiots.
This. Fucking this.

Both extremes annoy the hell out of me. Why can't people just decide what they wanna watch on TV without others telling them "you're a gay pedophile horse fucker" or "well you're a hater GTFO".

And yes, we have been called that before. Not true, but it is the Internet...

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
WolfCross said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
I've thought about that, but then again, this thread kinda is irony, considering some comments missed the point, some even replicating the issues. But maybe that just proves Grey Carter's point right.

However, thanks for the clarification.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Res Plus said:
So, honest question: not being completely immersed in internet culture, I have always wondered what this Brony lark is? Is it simply people who like watching My Little Pony? I googled it and there was some fairly disturbed imagery associated with the whole thing which I quickly backed away from.
A brony is any adult male (or female) fan of Friendship is Magic. The girls sometimes prefer the term "pegasisters", but brony can mean both.

The disturbing images, unfortunately, is the result of a very small amount of people in the fandom being into rule 34 aka "fapping". The community calls it "clopping".

They are, like I said, a small but vocal group. 90% of the fandom absolutely hates it, or just doesn't care about it and takes the stance of "if they aren't hurting anyone, then fine".

What sucks is that the vocal minority makes the rest of us look bad. I personally hate the fact that that crap (rule 34) exists, but if they aren't hurting anyone, then fine. I just don't want to see it. At all.

There are many different kinds of bronies. Some are really into it, and have tons of music, art, collect the toys, etc. Others just enjoy watching the show and follow the websites (like myself). But the base requirement for being a brony is that you enjoy watching the show. How far you take it is up to you.

Hope that clears a few things up.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Female Bronies, aka Pegasisters... I can understand why they're be jealous of the guys getting all the attention, I suppose, but really, come on, this is MY LITTLE PONY we're talking about! Have we forgotten about "Love & the T-word"? ...I honestly hate the phrase, but still, come on, we're supposed to be a friendly community, we all love Friendship is Magic, so why be jealous just because a certain demographic is getting more attention then you, ESPECIALLY since NEITHER of you was the original target demographic anyway! The reason why adult males get more attention is because NO ONE expected guys to like My Little Pony, let alone ADULT guys, so of course the media is going to fixate on them. That doesn't mean the guys are only in it for the attention. Again, have you forgotten WHY you're fans in the first place? Ugh... to think there would actually be controversy within a community like this.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I thought the symbolism was pretty clear... "My Little Pony is for girls, so any boy who shows up to the con must be in it for the attention and treated like an object" is the same mentality as "Games (or comics, or whatever) are just for Cheetoes addicted neckbeards, so any girl who shows up to a con must be there for attention, and therefore be objectified." It's a very intelligent and insightful comic. Also, Sexual Harassment Fluttershy is creepy and will haunt my nightmares. So thanks for that.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I'm sure there are women who exploit male geek attention to promote their modelling career. There are obvious cases like some women who were at the con to promote their salon by only wearing superhero body paint and tiny patches covering their naughty bits (They had no interest in comics by their own admission) and they complained about being ejected from the con.

BUT

there is NO WAY to separate regular cosplayers from ''geeky people'' without it turning into some sort of fascist regime and futher promoting the idea that women aren't playing video games when we are. Female cosplayers should be left alone.

It annoys the crap out of me when someone sexily roleplays a character like an underwear model that I personally see to be a tough badass but I would never think of questioning that persons 'geek cred.' If they have put the time and effort into the cosplay then they must at least care about the game on some level.

Booth Babes are totally a different matter the industry needs to get rid of them to stop promoting this boys club mentality. I know you guys like them but they personally seriously make me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome (like I'm sure some oiled hunky guy in a speedo handing out flyers would make some of you guys feel). There's nothing like being reminded you aren't the main demographic in the most skeevy way possible.
Do you know who you're cosplaying, and what property they're from? That's all that really needs to be said.

The "fake geeks" are absolutely NO better than the Booth Babes.

Dragon*Con is *filled* with posers who show up *PURELY* so they can bait the geeks -- both male and female -- into unsafe one-night-stands. And then you can go into all the "Normal" people who show up in groups to laugh at the cosplayers and con attendees. It has gotten worse every year, to the point where they've started organising their "events."

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and the Bronies in general are just annoying. They took what was a fine, above-par kids? cartoon, and turned it into the most annoying fad in the history of fads, with the Bronies shoving that shit down your throat just as the Bible-thumpers will incessantly insist you need to become a follower of Jesus Christ so you don?t burn in Hell for all eternity. I?m just sitting here, waiting for this particular fandom to implode in on itself.