Outland Review

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
This game does look really nice. I have a huge backlog at the moment though, so I'll wait until it's at a good sale price.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Why are these interesting-looking platformers so often limited to XBox or Playstation? We'll probably have to wait quite a while before it's released for PC, if ever. :-(

S1leNt RIP said:
I'm not sure how the controls would work for PC though...obviously there are enough buttons, but...it just wouldn't be as comfortable.
Eh, even if you think the keyboard wouldn't be well-suited for it, you could always just use a game controller for your PC as well.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Check out this student game by Digipen, also has the ikaruga mechanic.
Looks like a fast paced shooter though, has like co-op and single player and some cheesy voice acting
http://youtu.be/QZCv6m-lKoI

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
When I saw the title, I was honestly thinking about this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehIG9shZs4A

I don't know about you guys, but I'm thinking copywrite infringement here (for the title, anyways.)

Btw, I absolutely love this movie, partly due to the fact that it has Sean Connery in it.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
heyheysg said:
Check out this student game by Digipen, also has the ikaruga mechanic.
Looks like a fast paced shooter though, has like co-op and single player and some cheesy voice acting
http://youtu.be/QZCv6m-lKoI
How did you find that video, where'd you hear about it?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Outland Review

It's evil. It's brilliant. It's hard not to love.

Read Full Article
It looks neat, but does it really need an HDTV, cause it almost looks like it does. I do not have one...yet.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
S1leNt RIP said:
I'm not sure how the controls would work for PC though...obviously there are enough buttons, but...it just wouldn't be as comfortable.
Movement - W,A,S,D
Jump - Space
Attack - Left Mouse
Color Change - Right Mouse

I think that would work perfectly fine and be just as comfortable to a PC gamer as a controller is for someone who plays mostly on consoles.

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
Slycne said:
S1leNt RIP said:
Movement - W,A,S,D
Jump - Space
Attack - Left Mouse
Color Change - Right Mouse

I think that would work perfectly fine and be just as comfortable to a PC gamer as a controller is for someone who plays mostly on consoles.
Makes sense I guess, but there are more attacks and special abilities. You know, that's the reason I didn't play Mass Effect on the PC...I just could not get down on the controls or comfort of playing...now I'll sit in front of League of Legends for 8 hours at a time (on my most hedonistic days), but for some reason I feel way more comfortable with a controller in my hand.

Different strokes!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Zhukov said:
Heh. What you describe in the video is exactly what happened to me.

"Ohhh, Steam sale: Lara Croft: GTOL."

"Hey, didn't that one Escapist reviewer say it was really good? Guess I'll give it a shot then."

"Holy crap! This game is fun as hell!"

Thanks for that by the way.

As for Outland, I was willing to buy it after seeing one screenshot. Sadly I lack the necessary consoles. Ah well.
It's the same for me and her Splosion Man review. I want that game but it just won't get ported for PC. *cry*

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
"a bit of a revival"?
The past 4 years are more like half of a revival (considering that most games on the NES were 2D platformers). To be honest, I've had my fill of them, and this doesn't really lure me.

Xandre

Jan 14, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Great review. I have the demo, will be buying it soon.

Side question, in the video review you mention 'it's hard, but fair'. I think I know what you mean, but does anyone know of a hard game that isn't fair?? I couldn't think of one.
So, so, SO many of Sierra's early games. Look on TV Tropes for "Have a Nice Death", the two page quotes at the time of writing are both games from Sierra. Heck, same site, only search "Unwinnable by Design". Sierra has their own section...

**EDIT**

Add me to the list of folks who would like to see Outland released on PC.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Currently playing this and Loving it, it can be crushingly difficult at times but well worth the payoff

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
ok, ubisoft has just released outland on psn. so they have NO EXCUSE that they havent released beyond good and evil hd also.

i'm seriously thinking they cancelled it and are too cowardly to admit it