Ouya Releases, Then Pulls, Insane Vomit-Filled Commercial

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I honestly dont mind the vomit and violence, the thing is that saying stuff like "Dont waste money on crappy games" and then try to sell us a OUYA is very ironic, even with that "Try for free".

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
This bothers me. Not because of the vomit, or beating himself upside the head with his own spine. That I can take. Not my kind of humor but I can respect that not everything is.

My first thought was the same as Steven expresses:
Someone wrote, animated, voiced, and uploaded the commercial to YouTube, and at no point did anyone say "hey, maybe this isn't such a great idea?"
My second thought was that you know there is someone out there who went, "Holy cheezeballs! You're telling me: that I can play a game and not pay 60 bucks for it??" I honestly wonder what kind of person this works on, and I hope I never meet them.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Shit ad for shit console. It's only fitting there'd be vomiting, blood and self-beating - surprisingly appropriate. At least the creator was honest.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I wouldn't say that it's necessarily offensive or overtly disturbing, rather it just sort of fails as a commercial for any product. If we go off the assumption that advertisements are aimed towards those unfamiliar with the product, we can assume then that this should try to reach the gaming masses that haven't heard of or have any idea of what an Ouya is. And what exactly does the ad say? "Don't you just get so angry at game prices that you have to yell, vomit profusely, pull out your spine, and beat yourself with it!?" I don't think people are going to think it's disgusting more as they'll probably think "...Okay? What did I just watch?" or "...Am I missing something here?" This definitely seems like something you'd find maybe as an Adult Swim specific type ad, or, as someone else said, as a small part of a show that's parodying these types of ads. I didn't laugh, I didn't get offended, I just that it was middling and trying to be gross for the sake of edginess, which to me is the sign of a truly bad commercial, the one where there's nothing about it that you'd get someone else to watch it.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Y'know, whatever happened to the prospect of actually informing your audience about your product in commercials? Is that deemed too boring or too unremarkable in commercials these days?

...Wait, I might be onto something here... Could it possibly be that most, if not all, marketing departments actually get bored of doing their job right? Like it's too simple and self-sufficient to do honest advertising and marketing, so they would prefer the path of being risqué and scandalous to make it more exciting and memorable?

Jun 20, 2013
I thought it was smirk worthy. Then again, I'm a fan of Drawn Together, so maybe my sense of humor isn't the best gauge for how funny something actually is. Doesn't seem like it's mocking it's user base as much as everyone else, which is still not a good idea. Anvils need to be dropped, but that was definitely not the way of going about it. It'll just make the average gamer perceive Ouya as elitist hipster crap ... more than they already do.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
piinyouri said:
HOLY SHIT.

Who let the Superjail animators in the house?

Honestly though, I enjoyed that. But it really REALLY has no business being on TV/online as a commercial for anything.
Yeah it looked a lot like Super Jail or that other show on Adult Swim that I can't remember the name of with the drunk wizard, and the lady devil, and the human....what is the name of that?

Anyhoo, I didn't think it was all that terrible.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Ouya got much more publicity from this badly made, horribly tasteless advert than a normal one would have.

The existence of this commercial may bother you Mr Bogos, but you and The Escapist have fallen for Ouya's trap completely.

Well played, Ouya, well played.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I wasn't particularly offended by it, but that was terrible. It might've been better had the product they were actually selling was actually any good, but now all it does for me now is to associate the Ouya with vomit, which I suppose is probably about the level it's at.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
What the what did I just what I what but what what

I'd ask "what were they thinking", but I'm pretty sure they just weren't.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
The advert could just as easily be manipulated to show the gamer having wasted his cash on a Ouya then beating himself to death with his own spine for falling for such a thing.

Its a shock advert, and Im sure the pulling of it is entirely intentional as its generating the right amount of buzz. Sadly however I still thinkg the Ouya is a dreadful waste of cash and this advert hasn't changed that perception, only raised the awareness.

They need to focus on releasing ads that actually sell the console and persuade people as to why they should consider the device.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
See, the funny thing is, everything that's been shown about the Ouya make it seem like a massive piece of garbage waste of money that you'd be furious about spending money on.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Whoa... weird. Haha, what were they thinking? This certainly doesn't instill any confidence in the company behind the console.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I'm... not sure I get it?
You need to be spineless, covered in vomit up to your face to like the ouya?
What is this even.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
If you hadn't said that it was a real commercial, I would have thought it was one of those goofy parody ads that you find on Youtube or Newgrounds all the time. That's probably why they made the ad the way they did, thinking people love the low brow parodies already so why not a legit one? I dunno whether to find that disheartening or absolutely genius.

Regardless, the guys at Ouya HQ are gonna have to find a better way to get their rep up at this point. Perhaps this a job for James Cameron?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Do you really want to remind people of mainstream games when advertising a console rife with knockoffs?

Vie said:
That was... ..that's the sort of thing the Family Guy team would do as a parody of a bad advert.
And just as unfunny.

josemlopes said:
I honestly dont mind the vomit and violence, the thing is that saying stuff like "Dont waste money on crappy games" and then try to sell us a OUYA is very ironic, even with that "Try for free".
"Don't waste money on crappy consoles!"

They could save a lot of people money with that one.