Ouya Releases, Then Pulls, Insane Vomit-Filled Commercial

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Just think, this commercial was scripted, drawn, colored, voice overed, and even watch by real live people before this was released. Money may have even exchanged hands for this. There may have been drafts. They may have actually said no to some of those drafts or ideas but someone said yes to this one.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
And then it cuts to a guy playing a game on a console in the next room. He speaks up, shouting over the sound of vomiting and spine-face-beating:
"Hey, could you keep it down in there? I'm trying to play any game that was released in the last few years that wasn't Call of Duty or Battlefield, and I can't hear it over the sound of you screeching."

And to summarise the ensuing thread:

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
The Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/well-this-ad-for-ouya-ad-sure-is-excessive-1175893948] story indicates that it's not endorsed by Ouya.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
The people commenting against this astonish me. It's a cartoon, get over it!

The largely overreaction against the game's cost is parody to the overreaction Gamefly commercials. Seen those? The REAL Adults throwing a fit and trashing a game store (made intentionally to look like Gamestop). Those commercials show one guy taking a life-sized Master Chief statue and throwing it through a window; yay! let's all encourage vandalism!

Anyone who's over the age of 25+ will recollect that the Simpsons commercials for Butterfingers were violent in the 1990's. This one is just a bit above those in violence, but still just a purposefully over-the-top expression against the opposing product.

Bottom line>? Not as bad as Gamefly commercials. Similar to Simpson's commercials. Not that bad. GET OVER IT!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm not offended by it, but at best, I find it ironic considering that this could easily be used to describe the Ouya itself. I think these guys just shot themselves in the foot.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Eh.

I think it's dumb, but it's not like I'm offended. I can't really take that as offending gamers or anything.
But it doesn't really work, the dialogue 'it's the same game!' 'They screwed me!' is too tell-don't-show, and what does vomiting have to do with rage?

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
JEBWrench said:
Bocaj2000 said:
Not an official add.

It's fake.

It's not endorsed by Ouya.

/thread
But uploaded on their official channel.
My guess is that it was uploaded without official approval by an incompetent employee. Otherwise it would not have been taken down so suddenly.

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
I thought it was ok but I can't quite seem to think there's something ironic about it where the guy says it's the same game. I mean I'm sure not ALL of the games are retro 2.5D side scrollers right?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Kilo24 said:
The Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/well-this-ad-for-ouya-ad-sure-is-excessive-1175893948] story indicates that it's not endorsed by Ouya.
They just said it wasn't an official ad. So perhaps this was fan made?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i think it's funny that they put the words "stop wasting cash on crappy games" and then immediately show the ouya on the screen right after that, because i get a completely different message than what they were going for

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Yeah. Ouya views you, the guy "wasting" $60 on crappy games as a brain-dead moron that literally wallows in his own filth and beats himself to death.
SilkySkyKitten said:
I wouldn't say you're being a prude at all, truly. I admittedly am one of those "brain dead morons who wallow in their own filth and beat themselves to death" folks who enjoys games like Call of Duty and Battlefield and has plopped down $60 on those kind of games multiple times. So seeing this and knowing that this is the kind of image someone is willing to use to describe my gaming tastes is rather... disheartening. Possibly rather disgusting too, not just due to the content of the ad but just at the people who thought this was okay to make and put out.
... did we watch a different ad?

both you and the OP have taken the opposite view to what i'm seeing.

If the dude being shown in the ad was like how you describe yourself, they would be happy with their purchase.
The dude shown hates the game and is having major buyers guilt, his complaints escalating to the point where he is spewing [literally] vitriol all over the place, and going way over the top in 'beat himself up' over it.

If anything, it's a harsh criticism of cod haters, those people who suffer buyers regret and 'spew' crap about how much it's terrible and sucks, and who constantly harp on about how they wish they never bought it and that no one should buy it or any following sequels cause they're 'crap/a waste of money/all the same/etc.' (as is the usual complaints).

So it's actually the opposite, it seems whoever wrote the thing is actually leveling major criticism at the kind of people Ouya wants as customers XD
Perhaps they thought like you first up that it was mocking cod-players, and didn't realise until after releasing it that it was actually indicating the opposite, and then ran to the unplug button as fast as they could before their anti-cod/anti-AAA fan-base realised it was mocking them.

-------
As for the ad itself... seems kinda stupid to me. Like i get it, but it's just not a very funny joke nor does it lend itself well to the 'punch line' of go and buy an ouya[they just feel a little too disconnected]. The concept could work, they just need to rejig it a bit. I'm also not so big a fan of overtop... gore?* stuff like ripping a spine out.

*(is it gore if there's isn't really any blood or guts with it? just bones?)

edit: k, apparently not endorsed by ouya, still i guess a bunch of people were jumping to the conclusion it was, which is why ouya took steps to take it down.

Lieju said:
what does vomiting have to do with rage?
Have you not heard of 'vomiting with rage'? I think I first head about it ages ago from like futurama or something. Either way, it's definitely a 'thing'.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Well, it's good to see this has been confirmed as something unofficial, just sad that they uploaded it on their official channel to make everyone doubt that.

However I will add that if an advertisement is all about how crappy its competition is then it gives off the impression that it's not good enough to stand on its own. It's more like "We're better than this, because this is crap" rather than "We're delivering a good product". Now considering the Ouya isn't a good product I guess they really could afford to go this way rather than serving us lies that it is a quality product...

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Yeah... it's nice to see Ouya has such a positive view on the kinds of people it's selling its games to.

... People still wanna buy this console?

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Wow......that looked like a Superjail sequence that got rejected because it wasn't the least bit funny.

That was one of the worst commercials I've ever seen.

Sherokain

Jan 11, 2013
Kilo24 said:
The article however, does state the video was posted on the official OUYA youtube channel. So whether its official or not, the sentiment at the very least is endorsed by OUYA and they wanted people to see the AD.