Ouya Scores Hundreds of Games Through OnLive

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Draskinn said:
Good lord people they can do BOTH.
This is sort of what I'm thinking. You guys should be hoping OnLive on the Ouya fails, not that Ouya fails directly.

With that said, I really hope OnLive on the Ouya fails. Cloud based gaming is the absolute worst, especially OnLive which I actually got a month free for from something that I can't remember and tried out. I tried playing a singleplayer game and got gigantic response lag. I shudder to think how bad it would've been to try and play something multiplayer. (My latency is usually <100 anywhere in the U.S., for the record.)

Draskinn

May 22, 2012
Hey now I wonder if they could bring Kongregate to Ouya? That would be pretty sweet and all free!

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
FantomOmega said:
Mumorpuger said:
Irridium said:
Matthew94 said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Remember the Zune? The N-Gage? Dreamcast? OnLive? Yeah, I barely do, either.

When this thing turns into a massive pile of failure, I called it.
Everyone remembers the Dreamcast.

Everyone
What he said. I'll never forget the Dreamcast.
I'll second that motion. I <3 Dreamcast.
What gamer worth his salt born before 2001 that doesn't know of the Dreamcast?

Aw man I can still remember that start-up Logo Intro noise, 2nd best only to the PSOne's, that sweet nostalgia...

I pity this current generation...

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
x1,000,000

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
getoffmycloud said:
albino boo said:
Veylon said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Remember the Zune? The N-Gage? Dreamcast? OnLive? Yeah, I barely do, either.

When this thing turns into a massive pile of failure, I called it.
Each of those had it's own reason for failure.
Zune: Buggy and overly expensive via generic MP3 players. And Apple.
N-Gage: Tiny screen and limited library.
Dreamcast: Cost too much and limited library.
OnLive: This is a failure?

The point of the article is that the Ouya is actually going to have a launch library, the biggest hurdle to viability. It's going to be (relatively) cheap, the second biggest hurdle. It's going to be fairly easy to program for, as it's already using an established OS. That's a fair number of positive points right there. It has the possibility of success, at least, unlike some of the other consoles that have been pushed. Remember Virtual Boy?

I'm still not getting one, though. I have a PC and I'm happy with it.
Your last line is gong to be the problem for Ouya. If Onlive is going to be available on other platforms why buy Ouya. If you can play onlive on your PC, phones and tablets why buy the Ouya when you can have the same games with more functionality elsewhere.
You can connect it to your TV and it is much cheaper.

You missed the point, why would you buy something that does less than what you already have? What is the point in buying it, when you already have a console or PC? You are spending $99 to play games you already can use on other platforms. I already have a PC on which I could use Onlive and I already have a smartphone on which can I play android games.

koga88

May 19, 2009
I'm still very skeptical about this OUYA. While everything seems like it is sunshine and daisies at the moment, it also seems like this entire thing has snowballed out of control. While the original Kickstarter was set at $950,000 which is no small amount, the fact that the people behind the project which was originally meant to only do so many things have now been given over six times the amount that they asked for.

Not only that, but the device originally meant to only perform so many actions at first has now been promising more and more features. While $5.5 million+ may be a lot of money, people seem to forget that little is known about these people making the system. Sure everyone loves to moan about current generation consoles and the big-wig companies that make them, however these companies still were able to create products that have lasted at least five years already. Sure they are outdated now, but with all the hype levied on the OUYA, and now OnLive as well, can these no-name developers actually deliver a system that can run everything and not bankrupt themselves instantly? That is the problem therein of itself.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
I like how all of a sudden, ouya offering more features is a huge negative and people should pull their support. It's a funny theory.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I'm not quite getting the fuss over this, I understand people's dislike of OnLive for perfectly valid reasons, hell I don't like them. Limited time to play your game and not really owning it sounds like a pretty crap deal to me.

But surely, it makes sense for Ouya to go in this direction? It's not a particularly powerful console so that leaves this sort of route the only really viable solution should someone be inclined towards playing AAA games on it.

I mean, the console is still going to be an open platform for indie devs to code on and support them, it's just now got the additional function of being able to play AAA games should you be willing to put up with OnLive for them.

Surely, more features, options and methods for playing a variety of games on this console is a good thing? It's not like it's dropped its core focus in favour of a service that not many people like, it's just added that option to cover all the proverbial bases.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Laughing Man said:
In what part of your raving rant did you stop to think? Ouya now allows people to use ONLY Onlive, and no Android games? I didn't read that.. Onlive is just another feature for the Ouya,I doubt the inclusion of it will stop people from developing games on it, besides, they are doing the right thing, really. People said they wanted triple-a games, and the Ouya can NOT stay 99 dollars and be strong enough to run the newest games that people want, so Onlive is an excellent compromise.

Also, Call Of Duty isnt even on Onlive.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
In what part of your raving rant did you stop to think? Ouya now allows people to use ONLY Onlive, and no Android games?
I guess as much as you stopped to think, at what point EXACTLY did I say they had stopped supporting the Android games development and gone solely to Onlive service?

There is already someone who does that it's called fucking ONLIVE!

New boy appears on the scene claims that they will shake up the established games market by releasing a console that is open source uses an established OS and will allow small developers to create big titles for the home console market.

New boy does survey gets results that show the supporters of their new 'established game market shaking' console actually want... shock horror exactly what the established game market is providing.

New boy releases news saying that their established game market shaking console will launch with a service that supports the established games market.

I laugh a lot.

Search Sony Team up with Google. The foundation work is already there if the Ouya was to even look like a threat, which it isn't and never will be, they could squash it flat with a single firmware update. The only reason Android isn't on PS3 right now is because their is no money to be made from it for Sony.

The more interesting point is just how hard Onlive is gonna screw Ouya.

1). The price doubles Ouya cost $99 + Onlive hardware cost $99. Suddenly it isn't even a cost effective opponent to the established games consoles.
2). Onlive use it as a lose leader, the cost of the Ouya stays the same but that open source, free to do what you want console will now have someone who, at the end of the day will want to protect their hardware and investment.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
The moment I see Onlive associated with anything I cringe. I know we all just love lag in our single player games.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Why exactly does the world need another console?
What are this things advantages over a moderately priced PC and/or an existing console?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Why exactly does the world need another console?
What are this things advantages over a moderately priced PC and/or an existing console?
None, nothing, nada. The console does nothing and offers nothing that can't already be done in a vastly superior fashion by pre existing technology. The support it has gained is stunning given that it is really doesn't do anything.