Overlord 2

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Overlord 2

Yahtzee reminds game developers that they need to give players something to care about - or, failing that, a nice pair of jubblies to stare at.

Read Full Article

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Extra punctuation? Sorry Yahtzee, I like you and all. But, I'm not really the reading type. Maybe if you put it all in a short video with animations and dick jokes I'd look at it, but for now...

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
I think he has a point. Don't tell us to care make us care. Look at Mass Effect.

Spoilers

When you have to choose a crewmate to die. Them being the one you started out with. Some people like me it took time. Plus the whole movie thing really got me. I felt bad about it.

PS some one want to tell me why that messed up please.

Tuniki

Sep 14, 2008
wait wait wait, you could marry people in Fable?!

but thanks for reminding me I need to go play the Sexy Beach series again.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
IceStar100 said:
I think he has a point. Don't tell us to care make us care. Look at Mass Effect.

Spoilers

When you have to choose a crewmate to die. Them being the one you started out with. Some people like me it took time. Plus the whole movie thing really got me. I felt bad about it.

Fixed, dude. Don't put on of ~ those in there.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Good points, please do us a favor and follow Peter Molyneaux around slapping the back of his head whenever he starts to think about fable 3.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
IceStar100 said:
Get rid of the ~ in your spoiler tags.
bodyklok said:
IceStar100 said:

Spoilers

Fixed, dude. Don't put on of ~ those in there.

Thank you both

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
IceStar100 said:

Spoilers

[~spoiler] When you have to choose a crewmate to die. Them being the one you started out with. Some people like me it took time. Plus the whole movie thing really got me. I felt bad about it. [~/spoiler]

Because there's no ~

...and I disagree with Yahtzee to an extent, short version : players control a pre-created character, they aren't meant to directly choose actions as they aren't said characters, they are merely controlling them to a small extent. The game is an experience, a story - but not an interactive one. I agree with the fact back stories and writing flaws are common, and need to be eliminated, thus creating the points Yahtzee creates, yet the games themselves do not have to give the player a degree of choice in order to create relationships. This is something JRPG's often do very well by, as he explains, involving them in combat. However, the game can make you care about those not directly involved in combat via immersion.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I hope this becomes a weekly feature. Be interesting to see him elaborate on points he made in his reviews.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
bodyklok said:
Extra punctuation? Sorry Yahtzee, I like you and all. But, I'm not really the reading type. Maybe if you put it all in a short video with animations and dick jokes I'd look at it, but for now...
I see what you did there, and I like it.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Hrrmm... Yahtzee is much funnier in video-form than he is in writing. It is nice to see him elaborate on developer shortcomings, but I prefer tasteless jokes against a yellow background for the lulz. Ah, how I love the lulz.

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
I hope the creators of Fable take notes from Yahtzee. I would love a Fable game where they make it actually worthwhile for your character to marry specific characters instead of them being interchangeable and not worth having.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Nicely put. The last sentence brightened up my work day.
I agree with the whole "Don't dump care on my shoulders when I don't want it" perspective. It's hard to even pretend you care about a games characters and love interests when most of the time the main character them self seems to be a hulking deaf-mute. However, if it comes down to a simple "Why should I partake in this particular activity?" type question, the only legit reason I can think of for 360 users in Fable for example is Achievements. Why get married to 2 different women at once when there's no in-game benefit? Well, I get an achievement so it works out some way.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I hope these articles are going to be more than just expansions upon the video reviews. That would get old fast.