Overpopulation. Resources running out. What do we do about these things?

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
I know, lets fight against production of genetically modified food ! Oh wait...

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Universal availability of birth control.

Mitigating all those Goddamn sixteen-year-olds getting knocked up with children they can't support would go a long way to solving this problem. Ditto for all those uneducated, minimum-wage job-having spods living in the projects and trailer parks. Given the circumstances, we really should keep people from having kids they can't support and/or don't want.

Plus, you have to remember a lot of this population problem is centered in places like India, where the population density is just crazy huge, or places like Africa, where they're not allowed to wear condoms (damn you, pope!) and about 80% of the women there have been raped at some point. I've heard population growth is actually starting to taper off in the developed world, though it is still positive overall.

Feb 13, 2008
lucky_sharm said:
Today, mortality rates have gone down, medicine is becoming more advanced and effective than it used to be, and less people are dying overall.
Stone Tablet said:
Our Earth is degenerate in these later days; there are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book and the end of the world is evidently approaching.
Mortality rates are increasing due to the widespread disease due to travel, medicine is producing more placebos and is becoming less effective, people are dying at similar rates.

Checkmate.

Jun 11, 2008
Instead of 1 child rule use a 2 child rule to keep population steady. Increase retirement age until late 70s or early 80s. Although if person becomes mentally unfit then they should take early retirement. I mean with retirement at age 65 and lower in others that is just under half your life left. What are you going to do for the last 35 years? Many people do prefer to have something to keep them busy so maybe after 65 have a reduction in hours to phase them out of workplace. This should take care of the greying population problem

I do not know how possible this would be but in cities have massive apartment blocks that are really farming complexes. No idea how to feasibly do this but solar energy and renewable energy sources would be needed to run this. Although it would cut out most transport costs of foods and to combat the unemployment in farming industry re-employ them in this area or to teach farming techniques.

Energy what we need to do is make all vehicles electric although phase it in overtime. As well as use solar, wind, tidal, etc forms of energy so we do not put our eggs in one basket. If we can get an economic and controlled fusion reaction great but I am not holding my breath for that and fusion is just going to give us more waste. Yes I know fusion has come on leaps and bounds but there is going to be a waste problem.

There are plenty of damn resources we just need to start using them properly and right.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I would say we stop having children, but then you have the Ageing Population problem.

So no idea, besides just killing millions of people.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
GM Crops - they grow in hardier conditions than regular crops, can be used to re-green desserts and prevent deforestation (the majority of rainforest hack'n'slash is locals trying to find arable land).

They also subjected to over a hundred different tests to ensure they're safe for human consumption. Regular crops (esp organic) are subject to just seven. One of those being "Yeah, it looks like a tomato". I know which I'd prefer to eat.

(if the Spanish cucumbers that're causing problems in Germany right now were GM the testing done wouldn't spotted the e.coli and saved lives)

Food for all.

Hydrogen Power - a perfect replacement for petrol powered cars, yes it's not "efficient" as directly electrically powered cars but they don't need the batteries which are mined & parts built all over the world before coming together plus they allow three very good side effects.

Currently 60% of the cost of petrol in the UK is tax, where's this income going to come from when folk drive electrical cars? If it's shifted onto electricity then you're paying more to use your computer, watch tv or get a shower. Having hydrogen power means these taxes can stay on the fuel.

Nuclear power is needed to power the addition demand the increased population, green alternatives don't cut it - wind power for instance is highly variable and in December of last year the combined output of the South East wind farms was less than it's draw (turbines draw power for start-up and to defrost), as a point December is a month when power is needed most for heating so demand is up - and anyone who knows the great British weather will know solar power isn't going to cover it in the winter months. Problem with Nuclear power is it doesn't "ramp" very well, that is attenuate to the decrease and increase in demand and normally gas powered stations are used as an interim until the nuclear power stations can get up to speed (more gas powered stations would be required to back up wind farms too to cover the peaks and troughs in output from them) and high-ramping gas stations aren't very ecological.

Diverting power to hydrogen facilities in times of low use and then back to the grid in times of high will help smooth out the ramping issues.

Another side benefit of hydrogen power stations is they can be used to desalinate and "clean" water ensuring there's enough clean water for everyone (water security being a crucial issue in the coming years as privatised corporations have made poor plans for the increase in demand in order to satisfy shareholders in the near terms by not spending the money needed for the long game).

So we have fuel, power, food & water for all the additional people. Taking back dessert space with GM farming will also offer new, green, areas for people to live and accommodate their living space needs.

The solution is easily within our grasp, it's just there's a lot of people in positions of authority that fear losing that position or are financially incentivised to ignore the solutions and breed fear amongst the people - that'll keep you in line.

Nerfherder17

May 16, 2011
See the problem lies in their being too many babies being born. But on the other hand, you can't use a one kid per family rule, because then you have to enforce it, which means more surveillance, and less privacy, and lets face it, the government suck and have no right to know what the fuck i'm up to.
Anyway, religion has demonized the concept of abortion, which is bad because its really useful when dealing with overpopulation, same goes for contraception, but the truth is, both of these may just save our planet.

So for the sake of our future, try sodomy, and kill your babies.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
The birth rate needs to go down too. I think making the whole population temporarily sterile would work. Like a implant that releases birth control hormones over time. When someone wants a child, they apply for a license and then the implant is temporarily removed.

Depending on the criteria for such a license. I think it's probably the least unethical solution.