Overview: Lego Universe

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jack583 said:
my point is that i don't see why i have to keep paying in order to keep enjoying a game i already bought.
Because it's not the same game you bought once you start receiving new content. You might not see it as such, but that's an incorrect view of what's actually happening. Your $15 a month is going towards new updates, dungeons, classes, etc - not just giving you access to the game.

Now maybe that's not a model for you, but that's another matter.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Slycne said:
jack583 said:
my point is that i don't see why i have to keep paying in order to keep enjoying a game i already bought.
Because it's not the same game you bought once you start receiving new content. You might not see it as such, but that's an incorrect view of what's actually happening. Your $15 a month is going towards new updates, dungeons, classes, etc - not just giving you access to the game.

Now maybe that's not a model for you, but that's another matter.
how about the fact that if i can't pay i can't play?
i bought the game.
but couldn't pay for the next month.
therefore i can't play a game i already bought.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jack583 said:
i bought the game.
Then you shouldn't buy the game in the first place if you know you can't afford the monthly subscription and content updates.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Slycne said:
jack583 said:
i bought the game.
Then you shouldn't buy the game in the first place if you know you can't afford the monthly subscription and content updates.
that's what i'm trying to say!!
if i don't pay i shouldn't get the update, but i should still be able to play!
i'm only paying for updates! so why can't i buy the game and get a basic version of the game,
then pay for updates?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jack583 said:
i'm only paying for updates! so why can't i buy the game and get a basic version of the game,
then pay for updates?
Because updates are not only applied to your client they are applied to the servers as a whole.

Ultimately there are plenty of other games on the market, you're hardly missing out if you don't like the pay to play MMO model.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Slycne said:
jack583 said:
then pay for updates?
Because updates are not only applied to your client they are applied to the servers as a whole.

Ultimately there are plenty of other games on the market, you're hardly missing out if you don't like the pay to play MMO model.
ever heard of a game called runescape?
you can play basic for free or pay for the whole game.
they have free and members servers, if your membership runs out you can still play fo free untill you can pay again.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jack583 said:
they have free and members servers, if your membership runs out you can still play fo free untill you can pay again.
Yes, there are plenty of free to play games. We just ran a news story about Lord of the Rings Online making great profits after having switched from pay to play to a free to play model, but the sames models don't work for every game.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Slycne said:
jack583 said:
Yes, there are plenty of free to play games. We just ran a news story about Lord of the Rings Online making great profits after having switched from pay to play to a free to play model, but the sames models don't work for every game.
well why didn't you just say that in the first place?

Tyler Whitney

Oct 31, 2007
Not G. Ivingname said:
Tom Goldman said:
I actually enjoyed my time with this game and its achievement-focused gameplay, but I do wish that there was a virtual lego builder you didn't have to pay a monthly fee for.
MINECRAFT.
You can't export Minecraft creations into real life though. If you want a free Lego Builder then go for Lego Digital Designer: http://ldd.lego.com/

It's more of a CAD program than a game, but it has a good selection of blocks. The only thing missing is a lot of the more exotic blocks aren't in there. You can also upload your design to Lego's site to show it off or buy it.