John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Overview: Lego Universe

If you build it, they will come.

Read Full Article

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Hmmm, saw this in the shop the other day, curious, used to play with lego all the time as a kid. But as much as i love Being able to build and show off(Minecraft addict).Sounds intresting, Dont think i could really afford another MMO at the moment.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
good im not the only one who thought "Lego Minecraft"

If this is F2P i'll try it. Otherwise, :(

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
John Funk said:
Read Full Article
But then I visited some of the most highly-rated player spaces. I saw castles that stretched upwards for hundreds of Lego-feet, ancient-Japan-themed mazes, and sites that took full advantage of the game's trigger functionality. When you ride a plane into the air, type "crash land" into chat and watch it spin and burst into Lego bits, there's no denying that this sort of thing is really, really cool ... as long as it's in the right hands.
I will now be taking bets on how long it'll take some dickhead to recreate 9/11 and create a media furore about how Lego promotes terrorism. Any takers?

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
good im not the only one who thought "Lego Minecraft"

If this is F2P i'll try it. Otherwise, :(
It's P2P, so you're in the same boat as me....no. Which is sad, I love legos and I want to play it so bad.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
i would buy it, but i don't like having to keep paying in order to keep a game.
P2P is like paying $5 for a burger, then having to pay another $1 each time you take a bite,
as well as each minute it takes to digest it.
not fun.

Melancholy_Ocelot said:
Minecraft for babies???
and thou art highly ill informed.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
John Funk said:
Read Full Article
But then I visited some of the most highly-rated player spaces. I saw castles that stretched upwards for hundreds of Lego-feet, ancient-Japan-themed mazes, and sites that took full advantage of the game's trigger functionality. When you ride a plane into the air, type "crash land" into chat and watch it spin and burst into Lego bits, there's no denying that this sort of thing is really, really cool ... as long as it's in the right hands.
I will now be taking bets on how long it'll take some dickhead to recreate 9/11 and create a media furore about how Lego promotes terrorism. Any takers?
If that's really the first thing that came to your mind when you heard they can make anything they want that makes me sad.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Hmmm, so it is like Roblox with better graphics. Though I wonder how truly customizable each person's space is. Because if you know how to script and other fancy computer graphic and game coding, you can make pretty much anything in Roblox that does just about anything. I've seen Stargates that work and take players to other places when you dial the right address(different places with different addresses), and a working TARDIS that materializes and then the player gets in it and travels to other places. And that stuff is created by players.

I'll be impressed with Lego Universe, if it does everything that Roblox does, but also deals with the lag that is a major problem that Roblox hasn't dealt with.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
So in terms of the actual gameplay side of that game, how does that work? Are there actual "classes" that effect battle, move speed, jumps, ect.(I saw you looked like a samurai)?

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I might consider this, I absolutely loved LEGO as a child. I still have about 6 full crates in my wardrobe, with each 'class' of brick divided into each one. But then again, I could just play LEGO.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I love legos. I always have. Part of me just wants to "squeee" everytime i see them.

But.... i dont want to pay 40 bucks for the game, and then another 15 every month there after.

goddz001

Aug 5, 2009
if i do end up buying this game im going to make a robot statue and ill call it john.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm playing with getting in. Any word on what the different factions are like Funk? A little hint, just to get a taste?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I actually enjoyed my time with this game and its achievement-focused gameplay, but I do wish that there was a virtual lego builder you didn't have to pay a monthly fee for.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
This reminded me of how when I was young I had a huge bucket of BLOC pieces and a tiny set of Lego pieces so I was sure Lego was the cheap useless knockoff.

The game seems more interesting than one might think, but does it do anything Minecraft doesn't?

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
When I saw the video I thought of minecraft, but its pay to play so screw that.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I enjoy Lego games, but I think its really hard to screw up lego.

That being said, i love Lego games that let your build. Gives me my excuse to make a Mission next to a Wooden Cowboy fort next to a Medievil castle. So its needless to say I wanted to play... but then I saw it was P2P. Which made me sad. Then made me rage. Then made me go home, bust out my legos and do it on my bed and turn into a five year old.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
I would be interested if they ever added a Bionicle expansion pack. Other than that, I've had a VERY limited experience with Lego aside from the movie games. The P2P aspect isn't much of a turnon, either. I may consider it in the future, but not now.

laserpants

Sep 26, 2010
I said this when they first annouced this and I will say it again; this shit will not fly. Also, no, minecraft and this game is 2 completely different thing even when they are on the theme of building stuff. Minecraft is a sandbox builder while this game you have to build your own sandbox.
Making this game F2P is also not possible since the only way they can make money at that point is to sell "blocks" to build; why the hell would I buy virtal Lego blocks when I can get the real thing and make what I want to be able to show it on display?

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
I was in the Beta event for Lego Universe, and despite its rather childish UI (which makes sense as its geared for kids), My main problem with the game was the severe lack of content. The storyline of the game is there, its good, but at least come launch time there wasn't much too it.

Some stuff that wasn't covered in the overview was you can tame pets, who don't help you fight in combat, but allow you to dig up treasure. As well as the awesome dragon fight on the ninja world. This is one area where you need someones help cause you are very likely to die and by the time you get back the the dragon you'll have to start over from 100% health otherwise.

Also not covered were the 4 different factions, who offer 2 classes each. In my time in beta I played a Samurai, and an Engineer and had a lot more fun on the Engineer.

Its a fun game, but being P2P... It needs more content before I'll ever consider paying for it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
it looks like second life, lego edition, probably has blockier penises then normal second life

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Tom Goldman said:
I actually enjoyed my time with this game and its achievement-focused gameplay, but I do wish that there was a virtual lego builder you didn't have to pay a monthly fee for.
Yes... if only there were some game that didn't charge a monthly fee where you could craft things out of blocks. And what if you had to collect those blocks, from a giant bucket or maybe even a pit or tunnel of sorts. Surely this game where you craft things from blocks would need some sort of multiplayer, so you could show me your buildings and I could show you mine...

If only...

I'll tell you one thing for certain, who ever makes a game like that will get rich.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The plot of land looks rather small doesn't it? Not enough space for anything really awe inspiring from what i seen.

kooroe

Mar 18, 2009
First though I had was this looks like a minecraft clone but made with Lego.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
Tom Goldman said:
Yes... if only there were some game that didn't charge a monthly fee where you could craft things out of blocks. And what if you had to collect those blocks, from a giant bucket or maybe even a pit or tunnel of sorts. Surely this game where you craft things from blocks would need some sort of multiplayer, so you could show me your buildings and I could show you mine...

If only...

I'll tell you one thing for certain, who ever makes a game like that will get rich.
Maybe one day we'll get a game like this... maybe it will even have zombies and cows and pigs and chickens and such...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Swifteye said:
SonicWaffle said:
John Funk said:
Read Full Article
If that's really the first thing that came to your mind when you heard they can make anything they want that makes me sad.
If you read an article stating that players can create buildings that stretch "upwards for hundred of Lego-feet" and make them look like real-world buildings if they so choose, and then crash planes into them and you didn't immediately wonder how long it would be before some douche decided to recreate 9/11, you clearly haven't spent much time among the denizens of the internet :p

standokan

May 28, 2009
Even if I had the money I don´t think I would´ve bought it anyway, it looks awesome nonetheless.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Should be at least a couple usefull ones at http://www.ldraw.org/

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
Tom Goldman said:

If only...

I want them to be Lego blocks, damn you!

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
I too have a confession to make, i love lego.

And im good at it, but im 17 so yeah.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
roostuf said:
I too have a confession to make, i love lego.

And im good at it, but im 17 so yeah.
Whats the problem in that? Im 20 now and it isnt 4 months ago i bought some LEGO just for the fun of it... And you can earn some fat cash if you have some of the rare/collectors mini-figures...
LEGO is one of the only things that makes me proud of my country...

OT: I was in the beta, but i really only played it once since it for some reason took me 30 minutes to get past the first loading screen... Kinda lost my interest after that...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Is it out? I was tracking that game but got bored since last,last year and look how it turned out!

I love my Lego :3

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jack583 said:
P2P is like paying $5 for a burger, then having to pay another $1 each time you take a bite,
not fun.
That's a pretty poor analogy for a pay to play model. You make it sound like you only pay for the access to play the game when you are indeed getting more "free" content and updates for your subscription. So to adjust yours it would be like paying $5 dollars for a burger and every month you get another a smaller but new flavor $1 burger, but you still really need to like burgers.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Good thing is i still have my old instruction books from all my old epic lego and megblocks collections.. SOOO, if i did get the game, expect to see some epic stuff.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
MINECRAFT.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
If the games anything like the opening video then it must be EPIC!!!

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Slycne said:
jack583 said:
not fun.
That's a pretty poor analogy for a pay to play model. You make it sound like you only pay for the access to play the game when you are indeed getting more "free" content and updates for your subscription. So to adjust yours it would be like paying $5 dollars for a burger and every month you get another a smaller but new flavor $1 burger, but you still really need to like burgers.
my point is that i don't see why i have to keep paying in order to keep enjoying a game i already bought.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jack583 said:
my point is that i don't see why i have to keep paying in order to keep enjoying a game i already bought.
Because it's not the same game you bought once you start receiving new content. You might not see it as such, but that's an incorrect view of what's actually happening. Your $15 a month is going towards new updates, dungeons, classes, etc - not just giving you access to the game.

Now maybe that's not a model for you, but that's another matter.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Slycne said:
jack583 said:
Because it's not the same game you bought once you start receiving new content. You might not see it as such, but that's an incorrect view of what's actually happening. Your $15 a month is going towards new updates, dungeons, classes, etc - not just giving you access to the game.

Now maybe that's not a model for you, but that's another matter.
how about the fact that if i can't pay i can't play?
i bought the game.
but couldn't pay for the next month.
therefore i can't play a game i already bought.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jack583 said:
i bought the game.
Then you shouldn't buy the game in the first place if you know you can't afford the monthly subscription and content updates.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Slycne said:
jack583 said:
i bought the game.
Then you shouldn't buy the game in the first place if you know you can't afford the monthly subscription and content updates.
that's what i'm trying to say!!
if i don't pay i shouldn't get the update, but i should still be able to play!
i'm only paying for updates! so why can't i buy the game and get a basic version of the game,
then pay for updates?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jack583 said:
i'm only paying for updates! so why can't i buy the game and get a basic version of the game,
then pay for updates?
Because updates are not only applied to your client they are applied to the servers as a whole.

Ultimately there are plenty of other games on the market, you're hardly missing out if you don't like the pay to play MMO model.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Slycne said:
jack583 said:
then pay for updates?
Because updates are not only applied to your client they are applied to the servers as a whole.

Ultimately there are plenty of other games on the market, you're hardly missing out if you don't like the pay to play MMO model.
ever heard of a game called runescape?
you can play basic for free or pay for the whole game.
they have free and members servers, if your membership runs out you can still play fo free untill you can pay again.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jack583 said:
they have free and members servers, if your membership runs out you can still play fo free untill you can pay again.
Yes, there are plenty of free to play games. We just ran a news story about Lord of the Rings Online making great profits after having switched from pay to play to a free to play model, but the sames models don't work for every game.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Slycne said:
jack583 said:
Yes, there are plenty of free to play games. We just ran a news story about Lord of the Rings Online making great profits after having switched from pay to play to a free to play model, but the sames models don't work for every game.
well why didn't you just say that in the first place?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I can't wait to try it!
Er I mean my NEPHEW can't wait to try it.
Heh-heh.

Tyler Whitney

Oct 31, 2007
Not G. Ivingname said:
Tom Goldman said:
MINECRAFT.
You can't export Minecraft creations into real life though. If you want a free Lego Builder then go for Lego Digital Designer: http://ldd.lego.com/

It's more of a CAD program than a game, but it has a good selection of blocks. The only thing missing is a lot of the more exotic blocks aren't in there. You can also upload your design to Lego's site to show it off or buy it.