Overwatch Open Beta Extended

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch Open Beta Extended

The Overwatch open beta has been extended to May 10 for all platforms.

Are you enjoying the Overwatch open beta? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167351-Overwatch-Open-Beta-Begins] Well, I've got some good news! Due to an overwhelming popular demand, the beta has been extended one extra day. Hooray!

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/729094932103757824]

The new end date for the beta will be on May 10, at 10 AM PT. Just as a reminder, the beta is completely open for everyone on all three platforms (PC, Xbox One and PS4), regardless of whether or not you have pre-purchased the game. The beta contains all of the characters, maps, and game modes that the game will have at launch.

However, any progress made in the beta will not carry over to the live game.

Enjoy!

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/729094932103757824]

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
I've been playing it a good bit and it has some problems, but most of them are surface level problems. You know stuff you can either learn or balance out. I don't think there is actually anything really fundamentally wrong with the base game itself. The biggest problem I can see is that the descriptions of hero abilities are somewhat opaque and hide features that may not be obvious at first glance, like for example did you know Winston's leap ability actually does damage? It's not just a mobility tool it can actually hurt people.

Or that Genji's deflect, deflects every projectile coming your way directly to where your crosshairs are pointing, not just bullets too Rienhart's melee attacks can apparently be deflected. Or that some ultimates like that bow guy's or Mei's have a projectile component THAT YOU CAN REFLECT BACK AT THEM.(granted that's pretty much one in a million right there, not hugely likely to happen)

Or Roadhog, the best strategy I've seen for him is Chain hook Scrap gun Quick melee, those three in that order will WRECK just about anybody. You see there isn't any delay between shooting a gun and quick melee so that combo should kill most characters outright before they can recover from the chain hook stun.

So a lot of the problems I see with the game is that people don't know these things so they underestimate these characters and what they can do.

Another major problem with the game and this is entirely down to Blizzard here is that the game's server tickrate is set to 20hz,

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Aw man, progress doesn't carry over? That's lame!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
its good but gets tiresome as well. no real reward at the end of a game, the dropboxes give crap no one really wants. im not sure i will get the game. few of the heroes need some serious tweaking like widowmakers grabbling hook cooldown needs to be shortened, she also should be able to reach better areas instead of the too obvious once everyone looks.
mercy melee needs to be stronger.

generally most characters should have some sprint function. walking all the way to the end of the map is not much fun either.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Objectable said:
CENSORSHIP! They are REPLYING to someone's REQUEST so it is CENSORSHIP.
Curses, Shinsuke! I told you to stop screaming non-sequiters into the sky whenever you're startled! Your WWE career will go nowhere if this bad habit of yours persists!

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
The game feels a bit bare, playing it has actually got me in the mood to redownload TF2. I wasn't going to buy it for full price and the beta has not changed that at all.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
No, DAMNIT!!!

I have FINALS to worry about, that's hard enough to deal with without this distraction.

Timing really could've been much better...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Viking said:
Eh, it's a boring and BlizzardTM style of broken version of Battleborn.
Do we really have to draw lines in the sand about Battleborn and Overwatch. can't we either Like or dislike both.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Viking said:
That's silly. Battleborn is the boring version of Overwatch.

As for the announcement, damn it. I was hoping to get some game time in with my friend who's been trapped in Overwatch since closed beta, and now I have to wait another day. Bastards.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Its good, I'm just upset that the progress we make in the game won't be carried into the full game. I understand its a beta and its function is to test problems and whatnot, but after eighteen hours of play I'm level 15 and through sheer, sheer, SHEER luck I got some pretty good skins and animations, and you mean to tell me that all that work is for nothing?

Why even bother with the features in?

SamTheNewb

Apr 16, 2013
Viking said:
The two games have drastically different game modes, and one has mobs and leveling during the match while the other doesn't. So, I don't see how Blizzard is aping Battleborn. If you don't feel like playing either, then feel free to continue being ignorant about the games, but now that I have been able to play both betas, it is clear they have completely different inspirations. However, Blizzard Fortress, takes a lot of design and lessons from Team Fortress 2 including the game modes and a heaping handful of character abilities, if you want to make game comparisons.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
crimsonspear4D said:
Its good, I'm just upset that the progress we make in the game won't be carried into the full game. I understand its a beta and its function is to test problems and whatnot, but after eighteen hours of play I'm level 15 and through sheer, sheer, SHEER luck I got some pretty good skins and animations, and you mean to tell me that all that work is for nothing?

Why even bother with the features in?
you are not the only one who complaints about it. on the OW forums a bunch have created topics expressing theire disappointment. it is silly that this is the case. but then its also fair towards new players who didnt play the beta.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I'm glad they're extending the Beta, but I'm unfortunately getting a lot of Titanfall vibes from the game, as it feels like there needs to be more than the multiplayer in this game, which, while fun and engaging, seems to not have much reason to stay on after you've kind of played all the modes and characters.

Does anyone know if there's a real campaign with this game at all? They've been putting out trailers with story substance, but it feels like that would be a waste if there's no story to actually play....

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
The Gentleman said:
I'm glad they're extending the Beta, but I'm unfortunately getting a lot of Titanfall vibes from the game, as it feels like there needs to be more than the multiplayer in this game, which, while fun and engaging, seems to not have much reason to stay on after you've kind of played all the modes and characters.

Does anyone know if there's a real campaign with this game at all? They've been putting out trailers with story substance, but it feels like that would be a waste if there's no story to actually play....
Unfortunately no, and THAT is its greatest sin. Its just a pure MOBA game, no campaigns, no story missions, just mindless arena matches. I'd have been fine if they did what mmo's did (if you can give it any praise); give us a straight, if bland, string of story missions to boost your character and then have you use them in arena matches.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'm getting kind of sick of the Battleborn comparison, especially when this game resembles an alternate timeline where Valve still cared about gameplay in TF2 instead of the cash shop stuff.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Guys.

I'm about blow your minds.

I like Battleborn...

...AND Overwatch.

I know, it's crazy, right? I mean, I can't possibly be able to like two superficially similar games that each have a unique experience and different styles and tones, right?