Overwatch's Open Beta Attracted 9.7 Million Players

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I wasn't really following Overwatch before the beta. I'm not normally one for competitive multiplayer, given that it usually attracts either elitist pinheads who misunderstand the idea of a game, or the kind of crowd that gives gamers a bad name. But I gave it a whirl.

Honestly, I really liked it. Nice quirky cast with a lot of personality, runs really well on my machine, pretty varied and entertaining playstyles between the different roles. All the good stuff. If I had any complaints, they would be that there could be more variety in gameplay, since all the maps are variations of: "Stay near the thing, keep others away from the thing". But there's room for growth. I found it a little annoying how often I would get things in loot boxes for characters I didn't like (seriously, I ended up with so many skins for Junkrat despite the fact I didn't play him outside of the training map when I was testing out all the characters), but that's just the way the RNG goes. As long as they don't decide to capitalise on that by adding microtransactions then it's alright.

Also, it's a shame that the interplay between the characters doesn't really shine through, there's a lot of potential there. You occasionally get a snippet of dialogue between two of them before the match starts, but other than that the characters just talk to themselves.

Outside of the game itself, the only issues I have are that much of the player base doesn't get the idea of supporting the team over personal glory. I'm lucky in that there are characters in each class I enjoy playing as, so I can fill in whatever the team is lacking. It's just a wee bit annoying that I tend to feel like I'm filling in the gaps rather than choosing who I'd actually like to play as at the time.

In the end, I decided to buy it. I had enough fun to justify it. I didn't buy it direct from Blizzard though. Blizzard for some weird reason do the same thing that Nintendo does where they charge more for buying it from the source than from buying from an outside retailer. Got a discount from GMG, so instead of the ?45 Blizz wanted, I got the same thing for ?32. Still trying to parse that logic.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Nope. Nothing against the game, but it's just not my cup of tea. I've been in the beta since the beginning and I haven't played it much at all. *twists knife*

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
ShakerSilver said:
IIRC recall that Battlefront got over 9 million beta players as well. Such statistics aren't really indicative of the success of a product. Not that I didn't enjoy some of the time I had with the game, but not quite sold on dropping $40 on to continue playing it.
Battlefront sold 12 million copies and has a sequel due already, I'd say that's a success (financially at least). Nothing's for certain at beta stage of course but that seemed like a strange example to pick given the point you were making.

OT: I tried the beta and actually thought it was pretty good with the exception of certain aspects of some map designs. I probably won't be going for it at launch though because of the lack of campaign and the fact I'm not generally into competitive multiplayer shooters.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Nothing like a full-fledged Open Beta right before the launch of the game. I was able to put in a good amount of time in the game so I already know that I really enjoy it. That, to me, justifies going ahead with the pre-order...

...that and I wanted my D3 Mercy Wings and Tracer in HotS. :3

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I pre-ordered it. Once the beta was over I was craving more Blizzard competitive multiplayer so I dug into Hearthstone (third tries a charm). Now I am in a salt-filled spiral of self loathing and I can't escape XD

Mar 30, 2010
37 million matches? Between 9.7 million players? Impressive numbers, until you realise that means each player played (on average) less than four matches. And, in a game with twenty distinct characters to play as, that doesn't bode too well. Seems most people played a few matches then blew it off rather than try all of the content. Hmm.

Big_Monkey_Brother

Oct 31, 2011
I didn't dig it. Overwatch is well polished, as all Blizzard games are, but the gameplay feels very Team Fortress 2.5ish for me. It's something like what Valve would make if they ever got around to making games again. But Overwatch still feels like a slick, graphically upgraded TF2-style game for me. And since I've played T2F2 to death, Overwatch is just not for me.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
It was the most fun I had in a multiplayer only game in years. D.VA rules. I pre-ordered after that on PC.

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
37 million matches? Between 9.7 million players? Impressive numbers, until you realise that means each player played (on average) less than four matches. And, in a game with twenty distinct characters to play as, that doesn't bode too well. Seems most people played a few matches then blew it off rather than try all of the content. Hmm.
It would be interesting to get a breakdown of what percentage of users played 1-3 games before deciding they didn't like it, and how many played a more substantial amount.

Also I think your math is off, because each match has 12 players playing. So if you had a group of 12 players that played 4 matches, their average wouldn't be .333 matches per player.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Considering they want to charge double price for no real reason on the platform I'd have the most buddies to play with on. Nope. No pre-order. Maybe I'll hunt down a cheapo secondhand copy (I'm sure they'll turn up) if this lasts any longer then Evolve or Titanfall. I'm actually still amazed that games journalism, even the usual Youtube suspects who call out that sort of thing are just ignoring it.

The Beta experience wore thin pretty fast too. Barring some new game modes (perhaps even something that doesn't favor turtling with an entire team of defense heroes), or possibly different maps (They're all prettymuch a single lane through a cityscape with a few side hallways) I can't see playing this for any extended period before getting bored. There only seemed to be about six maps, and they all only worked for one gametype, in beta.

Mar 30, 2010
Catface Meowmers said:
Grouchy Imp said:
It would be interesting to get a breakdown of what percentage of users played 1-3 games before deciding they didn't like it, and how many played a more substantial amount.

Also I think your math is off, because each match has 12 players playing. So if you had a group of 12 players that played 4 matches, their average wouldn't be .333 matches per player.
True enough. Sorry, it's been a long day.

You raise a good point too. It would be very interesting if Blizzard let us know what percentage of players played 30.

Sep 14, 2009
Metalrocks said:
gmaverick019 said:
while it's all good fun, and I'll probably get it, I can only hope it has more game modes and features in it in the final product, I only played the beta for a few days and I was already getting tired of it.
me too, but once you play different characters, you can have fun. when blizzard have extended it, i kept on playing and had more enjoyment. i played mercy a lot too (second fav character) and was just busy enough with healing. playing her was great and when you have players who actually appreciate your duty, they comment on that as well and even give you the highest votes too. once i even got 12 votes because i my team so happy. this alone was encouraging to keep on playing.
you got a very nice group of people then, mercy was one of my main characters to play as and I dominated with her, multiple times I kept 3 absolute scrubs alive while giving them boosts interchangeably, and I was *lucky* if any of them any idea how to protect me, let alone give me votes at the end for healing them enough times they could've survived a nuclear explosion. That was way easier playing with friends, but I still had the same "I'm getting bored" feeling...I think I'm just all multiplayered out now that I'm getting older.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
Whenever I look at Overwatch all I can think is "cringey Blizzard TF2 ripoff"

This may be subject to change.

Probably not.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Your math is wonky. Each match requires 12 players, so 37 million matches equals out to 444,000,000 player matches, or ~46 matches per player.

EbonBehelit said:
I'm certainly not paying $80 for it on launch.
Good thing it's only $40 then eh? Even after taxes and the obligatory Canada price increase I only paid $53.10 for my pre-order.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Sight Unseen said:
Good thing it's only $40 then eh? Even after taxes and the obligatory Canada price increase I only paid $53.10 for my pre-order.
I'm Australian. It's $80 bucks here :p

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
EbonBehelit said:
Sight Unseen said:
I'm Australian. It's $80 bucks here :p
I feel sorry that you have to live in the place where everything wants to murder you and videogames inexplicably cost twice as much.

Mar 30, 2010
Sight Unseen said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Your math is wonky. Each match requires 12 players, so 37 million matches equals out to 444,000,000 player matches, or ~46 matches per player.

EbonBehelit said:
Yeah, that's been pointed out. As soon as I saw it it was obvious, but it'd been a long day and my head was fried. Cheers for the catch though.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Sight Unseen said:
Grouchy Imp said:

EbonBehelit said:
It's not $40 its $60. $60 for a online only game.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Sight Unseen said:
Grouchy Imp said:

EbonBehelit said:
It's not $40 its $60. $60 for a online only game.
Well it's 40 euros, 60 euros for some skins, and 80 euros for the deluxe premium ultrabullshit i believe.
that should mean you would be able to get it for 45 dollar or something, but apparently it's 40 dollars.
Did you check in the blizzard store that you weren't hovering over the middle + skins edition?

Besides, it's really worth it