Overwatch's Open Beta Attracted 9.7 Million Players

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
monkey_man said:
RaikuFA said:
Sight Unseen said:
Grouchy Imp said:
37 million matches? Between 9.7 million players? Impressive numbers, until you realise that means each player played (on average) less than four matches. And, in a game with twenty distinct characters to play as, that doesn't bode too well. Seems most people played a few matches then blew it off rather than try all of the content. Hmm.
Your math is wonky. Each match requires 12 players, so 37 million matches equals out to 444,000,000 player matches, or ~46 matches per player.

EbonBehelit said:
I'm certainly not paying $80 for it on launch.
Good thing it's only $40 then eh? Even after taxes and the obligatory Canada price increase I only paid $53.10 for my pre-order.
It's not $40 its $60. $60 for a online only game.
Well it's 40 euros, 60 euros for some skins, and 80 euros for the deluxe premium ultrabullshit i believe.
that should mean you would be able to get it for 45 dollar or something, but apparently it's 40 dollars.
Did you check in the blizzard store that you weren't hovering over the middle + skins edition?

Besides, it's really worth it
I'm still seeing $60. Maybe they stopped selling the $40 edition. Either way it looks like it was for PC only. No $40 for console users and since I don't have a PC I can't get it.

Either way to me the game doesn't look liked its worth it. $60 to get death threats or yelled at by neckbeards and 12 year olds for not playing how they want me to play doesn't sound fun.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Sight Unseen said:
Grouchy Imp said:
37 million matches? Between 9.7 million players? Impressive numbers, until you realise that means each player played (on average) less than four matches. And, in a game with twenty distinct characters to play as, that doesn't bode too well. Seems most people played a few matches then blew it off rather than try all of the content. Hmm.
Your math is wonky. Each match requires 12 players, so 37 million matches equals out to 444,000,000 player matches, or ~46 matches per player.

EbonBehelit said:
I'm certainly not paying $80 for it on launch.
Good thing it's only $40 then eh? Even after taxes and the obligatory Canada price increase I only paid $53.10 for my pre-order.
It's not $40 its $60. $60 for a online only game.

http://imgur.com/pzhngOZ

$40 USD for the PC version at least. I've heard that the consoles don't have the option to buy anything other than the Origins Edition for some reason, so it's $60 for them. Like I said, I paid $53.10 CAD for the game including taxes and everything else.

Also, you say online only as if that's inherently a bad thing... Surely it's better for them to make a purely focused multiplayer experience than dilute their game and their dev time with a single player mode that nobody will play anyway. Sure it means that when the game's popularity dies down that you'll have a hard time playing it anymore. But with a game like Overwatch I feel confident that that won't be for quite a long time.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Either way to me the game doesn't look liked its worth it. $60 to get death threats or yelled at by neckbeards and 12 year olds for not playing how they want me to play doesn't sound fun.
I... wot m8? First of all, I NEVER had that happen to me while playing the beta, the community was pretty forgiving for the most part. Second, you know that you can just mute VoIP or just ignore them when that happens, right? The few idiots shouldn't ruin an entire game, especially considering those types of people will be playing ANY game with multiplayer. I've had much more salt from people playing DOTA and even Rocket League than I had in my entire time playing Overwatch last week.

I guess if the game's not for you that's fine, but idiots online is an endemic problem with gaming as a whole, it has nothing at all to do with Overwatch specifically.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Sight Unseen said:
RaikuFA said:
I... wot m8? First of all, I NEVER had that happen to me while playing the beta, the community was pretty forgiving for the most part. Second, you know that you can just mute VoIP or just ignore them when that happens, right? The few idiots shouldn't ruin an entire game, especially considering those types of people will be playing ANY game with multiplayer. I've had much more salt from people playing DOTA and even Rocket League than I had in my entire time playing Overwatch last week.

I guess if the game's not for you that's fine, but idiots online is an endemic problem with gaming as a whole, it has nothing at all to do with Overwatch specifically.
Considering my harassers had multiple accounts, blocking them was kind of worthless. And then when you've got your whole team as well attacking you for "not playing like they want me to play" that's when I get kicked and it geyshatrder to join any new games.

Well either way I wasn't invited to the beta and my comp is broken. So I couldn't even see what all the hubub is about.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
The first I heard about the beta was when people started complaining that it had ended, so I did not get to try it out at all. Not sure I would buy it, I'm concerned about latency. Can anyone tell me if it is still fun and playable with high ping? 'Cause I'm in Australia and most of my friends are in the US, so to play with them will mean a ping of 200+, at best.