Pachter: Disc-Free Xbox One Would Be "Dumb Dumb Dumb"

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Pachter: Disc-Free Xbox One Would Be "Dumb Dumb Dumb"

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter doesn't believe the rumors of a disc-less Xbox One and if it's true, thinks it would be "one of the dumbest ideas of all time."

Yesterday, news broke out that Microsoft is said to be testing and considering a disc-less version of the Xbox One [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131811-Rumor-Titanfall-Limited-Edition-399-Disc-Free-Xbox-Ones-Coming-Soon] that will be sold at a cheaper price point. While some people might think that's a good idea, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter isn't one of them. The analyst says he doesn't believe the rumor and if it's true, it would be "one of the dumbest ideas of all time."

I don't actually believe the rumor. If this rumor is true, it is one of the dumbest ideas of all time. It would alienate GameStop and other retailers, and it would demonstrate that Microsoft can afford to release a 1TB Xbox One at $399 with essentially the same production cost as the $499 model with a 500GB HDD and a Blu-ray drive...That would likely cause gamers to believe that the model with a Blu-ray drive is overpriced, or would cause them to believe that Microsoft is greedy...I have three words for this idea - dumb, dumb, dumb.

Could Pachter have a point? Would Microsoft releasing a disc-less version of the Xbox One do more harm than good even at a lower entry point?

Earlier this month, Pachter "getting out of the Wii U business." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131006-Michael-Pachter-Predicts-PS4-to-Win-Next-Gen-Console-War]

Sourc: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pachter-disc-less-xbox-one-would-be-dumb-dumb-dumb/0127496]

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I cant believe im going to say this.... I completely agree with Pachter on this matter, he is completely correct.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
spartandude said:
I cant believe im going to say this.... I completely agree with Pachter on this matter, he is completely correct.
It's ridiculous, isn't it? He could say the sky was up and I'd have trouble buying it. Him saying this is a dumb idea suddenly makes me want a discless xbox one, even though games on discs have always been cheaper than through console digital stores ...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
You know I now believe the rumours even more. I mean considering what Microsoft has done with the XBox One "Dumb, dumb, dumb" sums it up pretty well actually.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
spartandude said:
As soon as I read the article, I had to look outside and make sure it wasn't raining gravy and biscuits.

But, uh.....yeah. Every dog has his day and apparently Mr. Pacther's day is today.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Of course it is, the internet infrastructure simply isn't there yet to make this viable.

I wish I could have a job where all I had to do was just state the obvious, and if I get things completely off base it doesn't matter anyway.
Shocksplicer said:
Well done Mr Pachter, you've finally said something we can all agree with.
A broken clock is right twice a day.

EDIT:

Vaccine said:
Stopped clock is right twice a day.
Ninja'd

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Hazy992 said:
Of course it is, the internet infrastructure simply isn't there yet to make this viable.

I wish I could have a job where all I had to do was just state the obvious, and if I get things completely off base it doesn't matter anyway.
Shocksplicer said:
Well done Mr Pachter, you've finally said something we can all agree with.
A broken clock is right twice a day.
I dunno... I think it's pretty unlikely that he'll be right a second time...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I agree, because it takes away something from the entire idea of the Xbox One. It is being sold as an "all in one" machine for your living room. So what good is it if your entire DVD/Blu-Ray collection cannot be used by it? What about CD's? Digital music may be slowly wiping physical copies out, but that doesn't mean people are going to throw away the collections they already have.

The Xbox 360 didn't have a Blu-Ray drive and that was a downside. Taking it away from the newer version that is capable of having one just seems bizarre. Especially considering the issues regarding the always online debate.

The world may be slowly heading towards digital media for everything, but it's not ready for it yet. I simply cannot see it doing well enough to justify the manufacturing.

A Kinect-free version for $100 less is what people want. That'd make sense.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I think it really goes to show how stubborn Microsoft are that they would rather release a diskless version of their console than a Kinectless one.

Goes without saying that it's a fucking awful idea but since it's how they originally wanted the Xbox One to be like, it's not surprising that they would do yet another 180 and go back to it.

I still use my disk drive for the PC, not often, but I do still use it for things.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
In a complete vacuum, the idea is really interesting. This'd let Microsoft go ahead and test out more of their original vision of the XBone while still letting people who don't like it get the disc'ed version. This absolutely has no direct impact on customers so it doesn't seem bad, but as Pachter very politely points out, perception is everything and comparing the two definitely begs a few questions. I don't give two sh!ts about the 'console war' so I say let the guys experiment, it'd be neat to see how it does.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Well duh, the pre-launch debacle proved that. Pachter's always wrong unless he's blatantly right.

Kinectless 400$ version is still optimal IMO.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i don't know if i necessarily agree that there won't be one, but i'd agree that it would be dumb. not for microsoft, but for anybody who buys it. they would spend so much more in the long run by being restricted by microsofts digital prices which are out of touch with the disc versions. also it destroys any chance of trade-ins (although i don't know if they're already restricted on next gen consoles, i didn't keep up to date with it)

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
One of the dumbest ideas of all time eh?

That seems perfectly in character for anything Microsoft does involving the xbone, so I reckon Pachter might be wrong once again.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
spartandude said:
That's because all he does is read gaming forums and then presents the majority opinion as his own thoughts and analysis.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
An xbox one that didn't have a disc drive would be exceptionally retarded with only a 500 gig HD. But with the proper infrastructure and such it is very viable. Hell I've not used a disc in ages.