Pachter in Major Tizzy With Advocacy Group Over Black Ops

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Le Tueur said:
[HEADING=3]"If people don't like it, they can take it back to retail for a refund."[/HEADING]
Oh yeah well I would like to submit this into evidence.

I rest my case.
I cant think of a single retailer that allows you to return a game once its been opened anyways. Its the same way with any other form of copyright digital media. The way I see it there should be a change to the way things are handled. We should be allowed to return a game if it is buggy. If the game-play sucks thats something you have to deal with but buggy games should not be tolerable. Take new vegas. It sold a bazillion copies and people complained about it being buggy but since there's nothing that can be done about it obsidian just sees this as an ok behavior. Now if it sold a million copies on its first day at retail then the second day 3/4 people returned the game for a refund it would send the right message, but thats not possible due to copyright laws which are horribly outdated. Nobody tries to buy a game, burn it, then take it back. piracy is run by torrents and direct downloads now.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Therumancer said:
jamesworkshop said:
Therumancer said:
Analyst or not, Michael Pachter is exactly the kind of arrogant guy that advocacy groups need to take down a few pegs with some victories. His attitude basically being "all games are buggy, your a crybaby" is hardly professional, and shows a rather disturbing perspective on how people like him view customers. I mean it's so horrible that we want them to actually take the time to properly test and debug their games... that's quite reasonable from where I'm sitting, and honestly if the Beta for that version of "Black Ops." was anything like any of the Betas I've been in over the last few years both the company and the testers were doubtlessly aware of the problems but chose not to fix them.
quixotic
Caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals

Actually I would argue that they need him

"Gamers' Voice can continue its quixotic quest to cause Activision to respond to a regulatory inquiry, or could take a more traditional approach and try to unite gamers to take a more civilized approach."

A discoragment from a self-defeating proposition, can only make them stronger, his argument is simply that to act in thier current manner shows only help for publicity not any notion of achieving anything.

Surely people have not so quickly fogotten how Activision responds to legal action considering the EA, Zampella and West case.
I disagree, it's industries that are viewed as being untouchable that are most in need of this kind of advocacy, and it's why winning a couple of victories make all the differance.

Understand also, these guys aren't pursueing legal action themselves. They made a complaint to the "Office Of Fair Trading", which I am guessing is a goverment body in the UK. If that office pursues the complaint, investigates activision, and decides to take action that's a heck of a lot differant than a bunch of nerds with a lawyer, or even a civil court battle with former employees and their lawyers. If this goes anywhere, the goverment bringing a case against Activision is an entirely differant matter.

In the US we have yet to see similar Advocacy, but if we did there are not just goverment agencies that overlook trade that could potentially be convinced to pursue an investigation and bring the case themselves, but also private agencies like the BBB (Better Business Bureau) that can be downright frightening if they get really invested in a case. Bigger companies than Activision have wished they never crossed the BBB.

Well actually they are persuing legal action the intent is that a law was broken hence not a civil matter, nor is the activison case civil especially in the implication of EA acting in an anticompetitive manner.
The Gov cares as little about this as they do Valve having a monopoly of the digital market.

Unless they can harm the retail presence in what is not a essential market for Activision, they will not change their course.

It's a non-sequitor, no victory is possible with this strategy, they would be better off making a political point that is would be a vote winner to fall in the consumers favor.

quixotic
Caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Michael Pachter believes Gamers' Voice is a "crybaby" for complaining about bugs in Black Ops, while Gamers' Voice finds Pachter ignorant of reality.
look at this: http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=313365&sid=cncgnke6k74bf11tu4ompjlnk4

they just announced a patch for the ps3 version

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
kevo.mf.last said:
Tom Goldman said:
Michael Pachter believes Gamers' Voice is a "crybaby" for complaining about bugs in Black Ops, while Gamers' Voice finds Pachter ignorant of reality.
look at this: http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=313365&sid=cncgnke6k74bf11tu4ompjlnk4

Most bugs are patched within a reasonable time,

notice it's (Patch 1.06)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, the product advertised is occasionally incapable of delivering the offered aspects, so they have that on their side. Pachter's point that games have bugs is fair, but there is a certain quality threshold that should be achieved. Having the occasional glitch through a wall into the void might be acceptable, but a condition that renders part of your game unplayable is just bad game design. Yes, we jest and swear that games are pushed back, but when they come out early and apparently still in the bug fixing phase of development, then we swear more, and ridicule without mercy. The occasional bug, like a graphical glitch, can be passed over. A bug that destroys your character or prevents you from firing or empties your inventory when you walk across a certain boundary or are carrying exactly three grenades, the pistol, and the shotgun are bugs the developer should have fixed, Mr Pachter.

Ironically, the Wii version of the game runs perfectly well. I find this exceptionally amusing.

Feb 13, 2008
MaxPowers666 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
MaxPowers666 said:
Actually alot of stores for console games ...
And I'll stop you there as we're talking about the PC and PS3 versions. And we're talking about the UK. Where you can't.
So what I said about the PS3 version which is indeed a console game is 100% true, and regardless of the fact that your in the UK you can still return copies within a reasonable amount of time if you purchased it in a physical store.
Like I said, I'd love to see that video.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
When IncGamers asked Pachter for his opinion on the Gamers' Voice complaint, he said: "They sound like a crybaby to me. All games are buggy, some more so than others. Have you tried Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Pc/dp/B002SU4QG4]? Buggiest game ever ... If people don't like it, they can take it back to retail for a refund. Most bugs are patched within a reasonable time, and any serious gamer expects bugs. In my view, this is a blatant stunt by [Gamers' Voice founder and British Parliament member Tom Watson] to grab attention."

Tell me, Pachter, which store is this where you can buy a game, open it, play it, and then decide to return it for a refund? Because every single store I've ever been to says "you opened it, which voids the return policy unless it's defective." And defective means a manufacturing defect, such as opening the box and finding the disc snapped in half or its scratched, not that the game is buggy.
Furthermore, I don't know about you, but for me a reasonable time for a patch would be a few weeks, maybe a month tops for game-breaking bugs that are present at launch (which, by the way, I do NOT expect such bad bugs when the game comes out, I expect that they tested it and it works properly and only has minor bugs present). Black Ops came out in November 9, 2010. it is now January 25, 2011. If there are still game-breaking bugs in Black Ops, that is completely unacceptable. The "reasonable time" ship has long since sailed, not that game-breaking bugs are reasonable in the first place (they are NOT).

Bottom line, Gamers' Voice is right about at least one thing: Pachter is indeed ignorant of reality.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
jamesworkshop said:
kevo.mf.last said:
Tom Goldman said:

Most bugs are patched within a reasonable time,

notice it's (Patch 1.06)
obviously. I just thought it was funny that this whole mess gets started, then within a few days a patch is released for the ps3.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
MaxPowers666 said:
Like I said, I'd love to see that video.
What the fuck are you going on about now?
This:
If people don't like it, they can take it back to retail for a refund.
Really? You're saying that we can take Blops back to Steam, Play, Amazon, GAME, Gamestation, Tesco's etc. and get a refund?

Would you like to try that? (I'm not sure if DD counts as refund in his mind, but I'd be more than happy to watch Mr. Pachter try and get his money back from a high street store because he doesn't like a game.)
Also, say what you want, but even in the US, no you can't return a new game for a refund. You are lucky if you can get store credit (usually you can't), but even if you do, store credit is not the same thing as a refund. And you mentioned GameStop, don't they only let you return it if it was a used game? If you bought it new, I'm pretty sure their answer is still "tough shit" like every other store.

And that's just the US. But this is about UK gamers, where things are different. That use game returning thing we can do in the US at GameStop? They can't do that in the UK, even if they buy a used game over there, if they come back before 7 days are up, apparently their options are "keep it or trade it in for less than what you paid for it."

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
When IncGamers asked Pachter for his opinion on the Gamers' Voice complaint, he said: "They sound like a crybaby to me. All games are buggy, some more so than others. Have you tried Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Pc/dp/B002SU4QG4]? Buggiest game ever ... If people don't like it, they can take it back to retail for a refund. Most bugs are patched within a reasonable time, and any serious gamer expects bugs. In my view, this is a blatant stunt by [Gamers' Voice founder and British Parliament member Tom Watson] to grab attention."
And now you wonder why piracy is so rampant on the PC...

Tell me, which store can I purchase and return a PC game for a refund? I'd like to know, because as far as I've ever seen, once it's unpackaged, it's mine.

It's about time that someone has brought attention to the media of the dipping quality control of games these days. I am a "serious gamer" and I did not expect to get bugs in games...until this latest generation of rushed, shoddy products that are heavily marketed and poorly tested.

Maybe you should spend a bit of your hard earned money by putting out some quality instead of your quantity...

Pachter points out that Activision is a behemoth, and likely won't be intimidated enough to change its philosophy on game development and hitting the perfect release date, adding: "Consumers can't sue companies that make inferior products, unless they are unsafe, cause health problems, or are not fit for the intended purpose ... Gamers' Voice faces an impossible task in attempting to convince regulators that the game is not fit for its intended purpose."
If the intended purpose of a game is to be played, and I cannot play the game because of bugs, does that not mean that it was released outside its inteded purpose? If I buy a hamburger and it tastes terrible, or is rotten, I can return it for a full refund. If I watch a crappy movie, I can walk out of the theatre and get my money back. If I buy a T.V. it is warrantyable (ie. fixable), or I get my money back. Or a car, or any other numerous products. If I go to a restaurant and get shitty service, I can expect compensation in some way. But if I get a terrible or unplayable game...I'm stuck with it? What is wrong with this picture, and why do we as "serious gamers" accept this?

I can certainly see why Activision wouldn't want to miss its launch date for the yearly franchise, but if a product isn't ready, it should be held back. A publisher should be held accountable, but on the other hand, gamers also shouldn't have unreasonable expectations. Are the bugs found in the PC and PlayStation 3 versions of Black Ops severe enough to validate Gamers' Voice's complaint?
This. A thousand times this. I can't vouch for Black Ops as I have never played it, nor any other Call of Duties (not my kind of games), but there are many other games that I have purchased and played that if they were any other product or service, the company that put out such shoddy work would quickly be out of business or would be forced to rectify the situation. Either way they would be held accountable. Why is the gaming industry exempt from this?

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
Honestly, they're on to something. Lately, with patch 1.06 on the PS3, I've experienced my first crash. I was in the middle of a TDM on Firing Range, and the game locked up. I've had framerate stutters and poor texture filtering alongside the aforementioned problems. If you're going to release a game, release it properly. Don't leave optimization issues out in the open. Cause then situations like this happen.

tl;dr Learn to multiplatform Activision and Treyarch.

I'mANinja

Aug 4, 2008
I'm going to die for this, but I sort of agree with Pachter. I mean, why go after Black Ops and not New Vegas, which is even buggier. Also, really, how bad can the glitches be if everyone is still constantly playing Black Ops? Also, maybe they should go directly to Treyarch, maybe it was there fault, maybe with extra time it would have been just as glitchy. I do not agree with Pachter about calling Gamers' Voice a crybaby, maybe they actually believe what they are doing is right. I don't think their doing it just for political attention. But I believe they may be misguided.

EricBC

Feb 27, 2009
Argh, I do not want to defend Patcher (who is of course an analyst that looks at releases of software and hardware to offer investment advice) but he's kind of right on a basic level. I mean, yes, games should be as bug free as possible. Totally without bugs is a silly pipe dream that gamers would like to have. When the newest AAA title has 10 million lines of code, a bug has a lot of places to hide. Add porting to another platform, and new ones come with the move. It happens, and it's unfortunate, but it usually doesn't matter in terms of enjoying the game.
To put it in perspective, when we see a boom mike or some questionable SFX in a movie, do we call our senator? No, we don't. What these people in the UK did was file a formal complaint to the government, which makes them crybabies.

For PC gamers that bought BlOPs, the bugs are an unfortunate side effect of having to try to make the game run on every recent-ish DirectX version and every conceivable GFX card, sound card, motherboard and CPU combination. That's why usually, the PC release is late.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
im suing gamer's voice over their name because i am a gamer and they dont represent me nor are they my voice. how bout dem apples?