Pachter: PlayStation Now Has "No Prayer" of Success

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Poorly titled article, I think it should be corrected to

Pachter: 'PlayStation Now', Has "No Prayer" of Success

Because in English, without seperating it like I have, its just one sentence, and means that PlayStation itself hasn't a prayer for success, which is a more evocative title than what the article is really about.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know, I don't usually completely disagree with Pachter. Oh, I generally figure he's wrong, but that his theories are based in some fact. Even if he is overselling those facts.

However, this is just ignorant. I STILL play Playstation 1 games from time to time. And the main reason I don't play Genesis games and the like is that I don't own a system to play those games. So I have to disagree with this concept based solely on that. There is a market for older games. Even if those games are fairly old.

But, I also disagree with the idea that Sony won't be able to get "newer" games on Playstation Now. They literally just gave Bioshock Infinite away for free to PS+ users this month. That game is less than a year old and a huge success. If they could give that game away for free, I think they can get some quality games for Playstation Now.

Toadfish1 said:
Weaver said:
The reality for myself is Playstation Now is going to have input lag and it's going to drive me fucking crazy.
I'd rather pay extra to run a game locally than stream it.

I remember how bad Tera's Gaikai powered demo was. If I have to play every game like that I will quit gaming.
According to the beta testers, there's really no lag at all, even with "craptacular" internet speeds.
Really? That's very encouraging. While I figure the Beta testers are in limited number, if they aren't experiencing lag, that gives me some hope for the service.

Now, I can only dream that the service could actually expand and include games that aren't strictly available on Sony platforms. Imagine getting some classic Nintendo titles through Playstation Now. Unlikely? A pipe dream? Totally. But an awesome dream.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Oh, there's go Pachter, shooting what little credibility he had left in the foot. Again.

Seriously, why do people still listen to this guy? I bet if so many gaming sites stopped reporting on what he says, Pachter would go away.

EDIT:
Conza said:
Poorly titled article, I think it should be corrected to

Pachter: 'PlayStation Now', Has "No Prayer" of Success

Because in English, without seperating it like I have, its just one sentence, and means that PlayStation itself hasn't a prayer for success, which is a more evocative title than what the article is really about.
Yeah, I actually came rushing to this thread ready to give Pachter a thorough lashing when I read the title because of this. Come on, Escapist. This is basic English.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
StewShearer said:

Pachter: PlayStation Now Has "No Prayer" of Success
"There is no publisher that is going to license content that's less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can't sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription or rental. This has no prayer of working. None." Speaking to The Escapist, Pachter affirmed his comments. "There is no meaningful market for the old games Sony is going to get," he said.
Because PS3 games are SO bad compared the PS4 games *sarcasm*. If the case was that Now would start with PS1 or PS2 games that mostly haven't aged well and aren't HD, he might have a point.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I think this guy needs some quick surgery to remove his head from his ass. Or maybe just find another industry he actually knows something about. Clearly he's now just straight up mentally challenged when it comes to these predictions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"PlayStation Now is a joke," he said in a recent interview. "There is no publisher that is going to license content that's less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can't sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription or rental. This has no prayer of working. None."
Does this well-paid analyst not understand that money isn't made off rentals beyond the initial purchase?

Also, I was under the impression PS3 games weren't part of the service.
Andy Shandy said:
Ah yes, because nobody ever bought PS Plus before the PS4.
Yes, I did.

How did you know my name was Nobody?

...It occurs to me that you were probably being sarcastic.

Forget my name.

Irridium said:
No market for old games?

He is aware that GoG exists, right?
I'm not sure he does.

I'm also not sure he's aware that there is a successful market for PSOne games, or that the Virtual Console exists, or that there are a bunch of HD Remakes and similar titles.

OuroborosChoked said:
How does this guy still have a job?
Entertainment value?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Hungry Samurai said:
I don't know who this guy is but if he thinks PS plus is about the Multiplayer than he's clueless.
That's why Gamestop sold more PSN cards at PS4 launch than it had since they started, right? Because people aren't buying it for the multiplayer?

erttheking said:
I think we can call this another example of an analyst saying he knows what customers want better than the customers do. It's been happening a lot lately.
It's a shame there's literally no penalty for him being wrong.

ironsaber2

Dec 28, 2010
i would like you guys to go and try out onlive. playstation now is the exact same thing but subscription based. the game comes in patchy and blurry and barely playable if your internet speeds drops even slightly unless you have fiber op internet. the guy also had a point because you won't see any new games on it, if you like old games that is fine but how long does the average gamer sit there reminiscing about old times? i am talking about average gamer not you personally. i don't know call me a hater or a troll or whatever you want but i had my fair share of the last gen over the past 8 years. i played out my old games and waiting on new interesting things to come out. i would just like to see something done with this cloud service that is innovative or beneficial to the psn to bring it up on par with xbox live.

List

Sep 29, 2013
WTF is he talking about!?!?of course you wont get it for new games, but for the old titles. there's a huge market for old games. nostalgia for those old games are what's fueling kickstarters and indies. what's more "nostalgia" than those games themselves...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Or, you know, there is somone like me, who wants to free those prisoners we call exclusives and play them on PC, which is the reason ill be using this service.
Also as a person who is currently playing a game from 2006 i take offence in thinking that noone plays games over 2 years old.

Irridium said:
No market for old games?

He is aware that GoG exists, right?
ninja'd :(

Hoplon said:
Yes because you all jumped gai kai and on live! no wait. it's not local network steaming it's over the internet, it will suck as hard as they did.
I used OnLive. The main reason OnLive sucked was not the service but that pretty much no major publisher agreed to let them rent their games. It essentialy died because of publishers being moenygrubbing greedy assholes.

OuroborosChoked said:
How does this guy still have a job? If he's this bad at video game market analysis, I can only imagine how bad he is at anything else he tries to do.
His job is trading securities. His job has NOTHING to do with video games. He does videogames as a hobby.
Also, an analyst that can be 50% correct about stuff like prices or product release dates is worth its weight in gold.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I don't know, PS Now (assuming it works as people are saying it will) looks like the sort of draw that would get a lot of people into PS4s. Considering the lack of backwards compatibility, there is something to be said for a service that could give you access to the existing PS3/PS2/PS1 library.

Also, people would only use PS Plus for the multiplayer? Fuck off! As if the free games don't have anything to do with it!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Slash2x said:
Riiiiight The fact they are STILL selling out at stores and I am STILL seeing Xbones sitting, waiting, hoping, praying that someone would buy them, has NOTHING to do with the bottom line for the PS4......

EDIT for clarity, and for the market the PS Now will run on. To clarify I am equating the sales of PS4 systems to people getting PS Now... Because why would you not.
Actually, PS Now is a larger target market than PS4. You're supposed to be able to stream games to other devices now that they don't actually have to process the games, only stream.

This is the equivalent of flash games but potentially ps4 quality.

It really depends on how they do it. For example, PS Now could have newer titles require additional fees or even a purchase from the PSN store while older games are the ones available for rental/subscription.

We really just have to see how they implement it. Sure, if they do a shitty job then there won't be any market for it. But done well, this could be very nice.

"No prayer" of success though? I guess we should stop quoting this guy.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Multiplayer?? No. I completely disagree. There is definitely a market for older games, it's much more of a question of how it'll be monetized.