Pacific rim people. Get some excitement going :)

Almack

May 1, 2012
Desert Punk said:
You know, its a shame how many people dont realize just how much fun it is to sit back with some friends, stick a godzilla movie on and drink a few beers, and just enjoy it or Mystery Science Theater the movie.

The go to movie for my friends and I is Godzilla Final Wars. Damn that is some good stuff!
dude i showed that movie to my non godzila movie fan friends they couldn't get enough of it and they didn't even know ANYTHNG about godzilla.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
Not really excited. When I saw this movietrailer in th cinema I rolled my eyes and did a facepalm... It's looks like another blockbuster for the masses, like Transformers or Battleship. The CGI looks good, but a film can't be only special effects. I hope I'm wrong on this and that there is a deep and immersive story and great acting in this movie....

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
After Spacebattles got DMCA'ed for hosting a thread promoting it I stopped following it to be honest.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I don't get what the excitement is. From the trailers, it's a big dumb, noisy summer blockbuster, with elements borrowed from anime mecha, and Godzilla.

So it should be fun to watch, even if it is as brainless as it looks.

Mar 19, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
I don't get what the excitement is. From the trailers, it's a big dumb, noisy summer blockbuster, with elements borrowed from anime mecha, and Godzilla.

The smug is strong with this one.

Anyway I still remember going to my neighbor's apartment who had satellite TV to watch Godzilla on German TV channel. I was like 10 years old or even less and I did not understand a single word but man i sure loved it. And when i went to see Hobbit in december and I saw the first Pacific Rim trailer I was like this cannot be out soon enough. So yeah i am quite excited for this movie.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Undomesticated Equine said:
Alfador_VII said:

Anyway I still remember going to my neighbor's apartment who had satellite TV to watch Godzilla on German TV channel. I was like 10 years old or even less and I did not understand a single word but man i sure loved it. And when i went to see Hobbit in december and I saw the first Pacific Rim trailer I was like this cannot be out soon enough. So yeah i am quite excited for this movie.
I'm not smug, I genuinely don't see what the fuss is. Sure it may turn out to be the next great sci-fi movie event, kicking off a new franchise, but there's nothing in the marketing they've shown so far to suggest anything other than above average Summer Blockbuster.

I'd love to be proved wrong though :)

Commerford

Aug 21, 2011
Shout out to the old Ford KA model making its appearance on the big screen. (0:22 in the trailer)

Yeah i'll probably see it, i'm an Idris Elba fan.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
after viewing the trailer again, I dont see Transformers (though they do sound like them) but I also dont really see classic godzilla. However I am really excited, probably more so for this than for Superman

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Looks pretty good. When was the last time Ron Pearlman was in something bad? Personally, I think we need more movies like this. We finally have the CGI to do these kind of movies but they never make any. The movie at least looks fun even if it doesn't turn out be a masterpiece

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
Undomesticated Equine said:
Alfador_VII said:

I'm not smug, I genuinely don't see what the fuss is. Sure it may turn out to be the next great sci-fi movie event, kicking off a new franchise, but there's nothing in the marketing they've shown so far to suggest anything other than above average Summer Blockbuster.

I'd love to be proved wrong though :)
I doubt he's questioning your being honest/genuine, just that the comment. stills rolls off as a bit smug, even if it's your direct opinion. I mean, the bottom line is, it's a trailer about giant robots fighting giant monsters in giant set-pieces with giant sets and giant something else on a video game forum, there's only so much you can be surprised by when a good few people are excited for it. I guess this is a "gauge-of-interest" type of thread though, so eh.

OT:
I am looking forward to it. I need something basic done well to entertain me this summer, and this fits the bill. I don't really care for "deep and meaningful" filmmaking when it comes to movies like this. I just want to go and have some fun watching a monster mash that's presented well.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
After the first few seconds of the trailer I was excited thinking this was the movie adaptation for "The Swarm" that I have been waiting for for so long. Then I was disappointed for a second thinking "Oh no, looks like Cloverfield". Then I thought "Giant robots, fuck yeah" :D

Edit:

PoolCleaningRobot said:
When was the last time Ron Pearlman was in something bad?
From the top of my head... Aliens: Resurrection?

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Looks pretty good, kinda feel that it is gonna be Evangelion-lite essentially but the visuals will be good. Also Godzilla films and Mecha anime are always fun as fuck to watch, this looks like it will be as well.

Also dat Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 homage...

Pm0n3y

An emaciated shadow
Jul 29, 2009
Personally OP, i'm hyped as fuck for this movie. For all the summer action flicks trying to pull back on the outrageous-ness, i'm glad someone wanted to be over the top and badass and fantastical. Along with Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel, Pacific Rim is one of my most hyped movies to come out this summer.

Though, as much as I seen this claim:
afroebob said:
...but the entire premise just seems like an attempt to cash in on all the money the Transformers have been inexplicably making...
I've never quite understood the reasoning behind it. Other than the fact that there are giant robots in the movie, I don't see the connection. If anything, this would be cashing in more on the money Robot Jox has made, rather than the Transformers movies.

...I also wonder if people know that the Kaiju/Anime references are intentional.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
I've been telling fuckin' everybody about this for months now. Don't care if it will be good or bad, because it's going to be be badass either way.
Hate going to cinema, but am definitely going for this one.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Well, it's a lot of big overly rendered CGI stuff all over the screen - It's not something for me to get really excited about anymore. I saw the same thing in The Avengers and The Hobbit.

Really, what else is new?
Haven't seen a good giant monster/kaiju movie in years. Could be fun to see del Toro's take on the concept and the robots, while relatively simplistic, are taking a lot of Japanese tropes. This may just be Guillermo del Toro's big tribute to the tropes of the Japanese Kaiju movie and Japanese tropes in general. As an otaku, I'm interested.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
xplosive59 said:
Looks pretty good, kinda feel that it is gonna be Evangelion-lite essentially but the visuals will be good. Also Godzilla films and Mecha anime are always fun as fuck to watch, this looks like it will be as well.

Also dat Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 homage...

HOLY CHRIST, the world was right, Japan has been developing Gundams

All joking aside, del Toro definitely seems to be making the movie a tribute to Japanese mecha and kaiju tropes and I would love to see a new take of Japanese tropes (plus, I haven't seen a new kaiju movie for years)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Eh.
Not really a movie fan and this isn't doing much to make me want to get out there and watch it. Just another schlocky thing with a bunch of unclear CGI that's got no real substance. Probably.

Doubt I'll be seeing it anytime soon.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Desert Punk said:
Almack said:
alot of what im reading is EVA, EVA, EVA, Micheal Bay transformers like seriously I know most people here havent watched godzilla to the psychotic extent that I(every movie MINIMUM of 4 times) and other daikaiju genre fans or have, if ever even
and that eva and transformers are the majority of there experience with anything that even brushes up against the daikaiju, this is very true to what godzilla and gamera where like. Also it appears that they have only shown maybe 2 fight scenes in the trailer so there is plenty of room for story even still if the story isnt worth a damn WHO CARES GIANT ROBOT PUNCHES GIANT MONSTER there I have summed up why you should see pacific rim in 7 words. this isn't the metaphorical and literal wank fest that eva was and it's not the shameless cash grab that transformers was. Go see it have FUN you know FUN that thing that you used to have until you grew up.
You know, its a shame how many people dont realize just how much fun it is to sit back with some friends, stick a godzilla movie on and drink a few beers, and just enjoy it or Mystery Science Theater the movie.

The go to movie for my friends and I is Godzilla Final Wars. Damn that is some good stuff!
WAIT, if del Toro does a giant Godzilla Final Wars style fight with all the Jaegers heading to the source of the Kaiju with a massive bash fest, it would be the ultimate popcorn moment in recent movie history.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
I was in the phillipines alst christmas and caught a trailer at the late night tv-shows (when you get food poisoning it is apparently good hosting to provide a bump in room logistics and the tv-show selection) and got kinda' excited. Then i forgot it existed, and now i'm kinda' *shrug* sure, it seems wicked.