Pacific rim people. Get some excitement going :)

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
i hate it when people compare this to evangelion, this looks NOTHING LIKE EVANGELION IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!!!! people you need to think older, back to the 80's, think more like Voltron or the like.

anyways i can't wait to see this film, i loved both Hell Boy films and i can't wait for the third film. pans labyrinth was great as well. so i have high hope for this film, though not too high as this is primarily giant robot fighting giant monsters, do we need anymore than that? also if you arn't seeing this film in IMAX 3D then you should not bother going to see it at all in my opinion.

Toy Master Typhus

Oct 20, 2011
Keiichi Morisato said:
i hate it when people compare this to evangelion, this looks NOTHING LIKE EVANGELION IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!!!! people you need to think older, back to the 80's, think more like Voltron or the like.
You are angry a movie where: A giant hole over the world opens letting lose a set number of monsters that have to be destroyed by giant robots powered by people's thoughts that cause severe mental illness; To an anime where: An explosion over the world sends a set number of monsters that have to be destroyed by giant robots powered by people's thoughts that cause mental illness.

Ya TOTALLY no reason to compare those two

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Toy Master Typhus said:
Keiichi Morisato said:
You are angry a movie where: A giant hole over the world opens letting lose a set number of monsters that have to be destroyed by giant robots powered by people's thoughts that cause severe mental illness; To an anime where: An explosion over the world sends a set number of monsters that have to be destroyed by giant robots powered by people's thoughts that cause mental illness.

Ya TOTALLY no reason to compare those two
these are MONSTERS and NOT "angels", and how do you know that the mechs cause mental illnesses. also there is an older anime with the same plot, monsters come up from the pacific rim and giant mechs are created to get rid of them. though it is possible that different elements from different series were brought together.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I think it will be a fun popcorn flick that you can enjoy watching with your friends. I don't expect great characters or plot, but I think it will be a nice way to kill an hour and a half.

Not all entertainment needs to be the "highest class". I don't get where this kind of snobbish attitude seems to have come from recently, sometimes a "trashy" movie can be fun to watch once in a while.

... I'd still prefer a live action NGE film. Even though I know they'd butcher it like they do all adaptations.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Pacific Rim will be the best movie released this year.

Ok, so I may have made that up, but sometimes all you need is a bunch of giant mechs smacking about equally giant monsters to make an enjoyable movie. It will likely be the closest thing we will ever get to an Evangelion movie, seeing that it seems incredibly unlikely that will ever happen.

What's most surprising is that some people out there actually think Atlantic Rim will be the better film. Now that is amusing.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Apologies OP, but I'm breaking your rule: Has anyone involved in this actually acknowledged Evangelion? Some of the scenes must at least have been paying homage; I'm not saying they nicked them --a live-action NGE would be the tits-- I'm just curious if it's got a 'based on' credit or someone involved is obviously just a fan.

Either way it looks like it'll be very good for what it is and I definitely want to see it.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Well, I think it's the fact that we've seen stuff like this. Transformers mixed with Cloverfield and a hint of Iron Man. We've had The Avengers to show us all how this sort of thing should be done, and somehow I have a sneaking suspicion that this simply will not be as good as said movie. I'm not implying that it is going to suck, because it look pretty awesome, but we have seen this and it is being released around a few other big movies, like Man of Steel, Fast & Fuious 6, Star Trek Into Darkness and a few other ones. I for one have already made up my mind, I'm going to see Man of Steel. Like quite a lot of people, I imagine. You can only spend a dollar once, so you'll have to choose.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
I think it looks pretty damn awesome. Then again I am a serious mech fanboy. Still, I like Del Toro as a director and I trust him to deliver an entertaining product.
Also his emphasis on practical effects is pretty refreshing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcsFMTjgsCM

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
The comparisons to Transformers here disappoint me greatly.This is a completely different animal to Transformers. The robots are bigger, the antagonists are completely different, it is not an adaptation, the director is well known to be fantastic and loved, and the theme of the movie is different.

I have been beyond stoked from the start for this movie and my exitement has only grown. I am looking forward to this movie more than any other this summer.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
I am really excited for this movie. I want it to be good but even if it's not, I can enjoy it for the CGI. Main reason is because that's something I want to do in my life, so I can always use more inspiration.

One thing I will add is that I hope the fights don't get overly confusing but it looks like the fighting is somewhat slower paced. I think it will work out great because not only does it make sense but people will be able to see what's going on. I think one reason why Transformer's action fights are confusing is because they're too fast to see what is going on. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I saw those movies.

Just have to keep expectations in check!

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Why is everyone complaining about a lack of Evangelion references when there's so many other mecha anime and judging from the robot and monster designs, this is much more in the vein of Go Nagai or Getter Robo.

There was at least twenty years of giant robot anime before Eva came about and Pacific Rim looks more to be a celebration of those times and their style. I just doubt hot-blooded heroism will be used as a way of attaining ultimate power in it because this is looking a bit grittier than that.

After looking at posters and the trailer again, the US mech Gipsy Danger is Mazinger Z. Its powers are chest cannon and rocket punches. Meanwhile Japan's Coyote Tango is the Guncannon from the original run of Universal Century Gundam.

The New Zealand mech is even named Kaiju Crush. This movie is most certainly planted in the 70's mech anime and movies.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I am so confused by the Evangelion comparisons.
It strikes me like someone arguing Avatar is anime because they think all anime is shonen.
THERE HAVE BEEN OTHER GIANT ROBOT SERIES. BEFORE AND AFTER.

Evangelion is a deconstruction of mecha designed to show the common themes in a different light.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
afroebob said:
slacker09 said:
Are you implying that Godzilla was bad?
I am implying that Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was dumb, but not ALL Godzilla movies are bad, its just after making 24 of the damn movies your going to have a lot of them that aren't good.
Uh 28.

Edit: Fuck low content, um.. TEAM CHUGGACONROY!!!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It's hard to really get excited about a movie like this that has largely seemed to be keeping itself under the radar. While it allegedly tested well with audience during some early screenings, it's one of those situations where the trailers themselves seemed to really be stretching things to set this up, when to be honest a movie about giant robots fighting should be one of the easiest things in the world to make. I think half the problem is that too many people want to try and do "serious writing" and find ways of tacking on an unneeded focus on a human element to things like this, which is kind of what ruined Transformers.

To be honest I'm kind of expecting this one to come and go, I don't expect a spectacular failure, but I will be very surprised if this movie winds up impressing many people either.

To be honest ever since the old "D" grade "Robot Jox" movies, I've kind of been of the opinion that someone might just want to license "Battletech" and get it over with, I mean they did cartoons, but I always kind of felt that universe had a decent amount of potential. Honestly I think while the games benefitted from the "Clans", as far as the world went, it was better before that garbage. To be honest, prior to that, the actual storyline carried an entire "game of thrones" type vibe, but with giant mechs blowing the crap out of each other replacing the knights and warriors. Albiet it was fairly predictable, largely leading to the "solution" being the two generally "good" (or at least sympathetic) houses getting together in a marriage-based alliance. Then of course instead of leaving things once it got wrapped up, we had the clans introduced, and while popular with some, it pretty much turned the entire thing into a "don't think about it, just go with it" setting that increasingly focused less and less on why anyone was fighting given the painfully transparent reasons, and an excuse to roll out increasingly large lists of new and game breaking firepower on all sides to encourage people playing the game to run out and buy the latest sourcebooks. :p

At any rate, we'll see what happens with "Pacific Rim", I think it will be one of Del Toro's lower key works when all is said and done. 10-15 years it will probably come up mostly in the context of "oh yeah, you know he also did this... and it wasn't half bad for what it was". Perhaps even looked back on as ahead of it's time if someone actually DOES manage to create a successful mass-multi media giant robot franchise that captures the general public's imagination to the extent of "Star Trek" or "Star Wars" for a while (Gundam really doesn't count as it's mostly only that big a deal in Japan, and some parts of Asia it's pretty fringe through the western world).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
cojo965 said:
afroebob said:
slacker09 said:
Are you implying that Godzilla was bad?
I am implying that Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was dumb, but not ALL Godzilla movies are bad, its just after making 24 of the damn movies your going to have a lot of them that aren't good.
Uh 28.
The number might be higher if you consider all the movies he's in that are not called "Godzilla" I never counted, them but are you considering things like say "Destroy All Monsters"? I seem to remember he was in that one... :)

That said, I understand this is a giant robot thread so the "Mechagodzilla" reference is appropriate, but to be honest I think that one was kind of the middle of the road. The low point for Godzilla was probably "Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster".

Truthfully though when it comes to Godzilla and Robots I tend to mostly think of him tag teaming (literally) with Jet Jaguar in things like Godzilla Vs. Megalon more than Mechagodzilla for some odd reason. To be honest I never have been able to get the noise they use every time Jet Jaguar moves out of my brain... when I eventually see Pacific Rim my subconscious is probably likely to insert it during the hand to hand fight scenes. :)

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
I saw the first trailer and was instantly excited. This will be everything that made my childhood magical.

And honestly if it were not for Del Toro I wouldn't be so excited. This will be a popcorn flick but it will be beautiful because of Toro's directing.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
I might hire it when it comes out on DVD, not really hyped.

I don't even like Superhero films, to me they're just rich dudes in Cosplay and the silliness just detracts from the film's tone. Films like these seem to marvel in it's own concept. Monsters versus Robots sounds good in theory though it can only be shown with heavy levels of CGI. Meaning you can only enjoy films like this for what it is, a pretty film with a dull plot - or indulge in nerd raging and cry a whole lot.

Eh.