Paleontologist Discovers "Giant Kraken Lair"

crhoades

Jul 2, 2010
he was talking about this ancient kraken killing ichtyasaur(probably spelled it wrong)
wich was an aquatic reptile and had to breath air.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Thou whilt not speak with such buffoonery of his cyclopeon servants.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

But seriously, if this thing did make self portraits, it might represent that we weren't the first intelligent life on the planet.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
oh my goodness!!!! CTHULU HAD HOUSE PETS!!!!!!
AND HE PROBABLY STILL DOES!!!!!
GAME OVER MAN!!!!! GAME OVER!!!!!

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
Normandyfoxtrot said:
trophykiller said:
Iron Lightning said:
Wasn't the mythical Kraken just a giant squid?
Yes, but it's mythical, therefore, people refuse to believe it's exsistance for the sake of not wanting to believe it's exsistance. Perhaps at one point, giant squids were more aggressive, but natural selection made them more docile. Let's face it: even at sea, humans are hard prey, and the crew of the attacked ship would likely have caused all sorts of wounds before they died, right? It's risk vs. reward, and humans just aren't worth it.
My understanding of the little research of the two, the colossal squid is believed to be a much more aggressive and active hunter than the lighter, but longer giant squid.

As for the story I'm not sure you'd ever see either a Giant or Colossal Squid fighting a ship if their on the surface their dieing not hunting.
I haven't heard that, but it sounds. Interesting. As far as I knew, colossal squids were just rarer, larger versions of giant squids, but also had smaller eyes. I do know that a giant squid attacked 2 men in a boat in 1873. They cut it's tentacles off with a hatchet, though, which proves my "humans are mean-ass prey" theory.

Bob_Dobb

Aug 22, 2011
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, all disbelievers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w5JqQLqqTc

(Can't get it to embed sorry)

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
It would be intriguing. Octopi are surprisingly inteligent, not to mention shape shifters with better camoflague than chameleons and able to squeeze into narrow spaces with ease.

Cripes, if they were sentient we'd all be slave-bodies, forced to wear them on our heads to give them ease of transport. Like Mind Flayers. Or Mr. Sekto.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Isn't that just like a biologist, you find one lair with particular bones and suddenly you're seeing Krakens everywhere.

Interesting although I don't put lots of faith in archeologists or people who study fossils, they often have to make judgements from very little evidence and that has lead to lots of mistakes over the years.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Woodsey said:
[a
href=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/scientists-found-siberian-yeti_n_1003639.html#s388533]Yetis from the Russians[/a], and now Krakens from the Americans.

I guess that means we have to find Aslan.
Hello Woodsey! Do you like gum?

SnakeoilSage said:
It would be intriguing. Octopi are surprisingly inteligent, not to mention shape shifters with better camoflague than chameleons and able to squeeze into narrow spaces with ease.

Cripes, if they were sentient we'd all be slave-bodies, forced to wear them on our heads to give them ease of transport. Like Mind Flayers. Or Mr. Sekto.
Actually, there's good eveidence that they are at least slightly sentient (kraken self portraits terrify me). However, the only thing really keeping the octopi in check is the strange trait of dying after sex. After hot octopus tentacle sex, special glands int eh male release a chemical that kills it a few weeks later. After birth, teh female will just stop eating, like some kind of "post=partum deression", as Cracked put it.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I remember watching a documentary about how this giant octopus exists to this day but lives only in the deepest parts of the ocean and often tries to go after sperm whales

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
I hope I haven't been ninja'd when I say:
China Miéville was right! To the Church of Godkraken!