Paleontologist Discovers "Giant Kraken Lair"

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Hungry Donner said:
It isn't a great leap to suggest that an octopus from 200 million years ago would be very large, we know that there were other large cephalopods at that time. It also isn't a great leap to suggest that these older octopi had similar intelligence levels and behavior to modern octopi.
It kinda is. Cameroceras was downgraded quite a bit, from 30 feet to 12. The fact is we really can't know much about extinct cephalopods.
Andy Chalk said:
Some of you guys have a seriously under-developed sense of fun.

IT'S A GODDAMN KRAKEN!
To which I would say you have an underdeveloped sense of bullshit.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
This can only mean...MEGA SHARK! VERSUS GIANT OCTOPUS! It was totally a documentary! Filmed by parallel universe time travelers!

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
What the article doesn't say is how they're co-naming the project "Holy Fuck Rainbows Real Krakens!"

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Quaxar said:
believer258 said:
I was kind of interested in the article until I saw the video about an octopus eating a shark. After that, all interest in the topic flew out the window...
...and shifted to octopus-shark-fights.

FOR ALL ETERNITY!
Versuvius said:
I for one welcome Cthulhu as our new cephalopod overlord.
Cthulhu fhtagn!
Blasphemous Fools! While you worship your petty Old Ones, the Outer Gods, Azathoth, Nyarlethotep, and Yog Sothoth will be making quick work of these so called Great Old ones!

May the war of the Outer and Elder Gods COMMENCE!!

Woodsey said:
[a
href=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/scientists-found-siberian-yeti_n_1003639.html#s388533]Yetis from the Russians[/a], and now Krakens from the Americans.

I guess that means we have to find Aslan.
I'm so glad I got that XD
Well done for the LOLz

Secondly THIS is an Ocelot
<youtube=V1a8m51ZduQ>

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
JasonKaotic said:
Or it could just be a really, really big octopus?
...that's exactly what one variation of the kraken is. What exactly do you think a kraken is supposed to be?

Anyways, the article seems to make a pretty big leap of faith. As much as I'd like to think that a giant cephalopod was responsible, it could be any number of other things. There's very little evidence to go on. This is just another theory that lacks sufficient evidence for me to consider it credible. It's an interesting theory though, I'll give it that. Pretty much anything involving a giant killer cephalopod is going to interest me. But without any solid evidence I can't consider it to be any more than that. I mean I get that cephalopods don't really have much in terms of remains that last over time, but you need something.

Also every time you made a bad irrelevant Cthulhu joke an adorable little cuttlefish gets killed.

EDIT: Seriously, this has freaking nothing to do with Lovecraft. Just becuase Cthulhu resembled a giant octopus thing doesn't mean these jokes are funny. Not that they would be funny in any other context either. I'm willing to be half the people that make these jokes have never read full a Lovecraft story.

Iron Lightning said:
Wasn't the mythical Kraken just a giant squid?
Possibly. The original idea of the kraken could have come from rare sightings of colossal squid on the surface. I can't imagine a colossal squid every attacking a boat though, but like most things the sailor devouring cephalopod most likely came about as a result of exaggeration of the original story. There have plenty of giant cephalopods throughout history, but none as big as the one this article claims.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
shadyh8er said:
I'm just gonna pretend this guy got misquoted. I mean, "drowning a shark"? Come on now.

OT: This is some exciting stuff. Nessie better watch out.
He was talking about drowning the Ichthyosaurs, which needed the airs for living.

Torrasque said:
Brb, going to China to research into IRL Tarasque, and search every riverbed for the remains of drago-...wait, river dragons are Japanese, my bad =|
Good lucking finding the Tarrasque in China... They were a french dragon in origin...

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Draconalis said:
shadyh8er said:
I'm just gonna pretend this guy got misquoted. I mean, "drowning a shark"? Come on now.

OT: This is some exciting stuff. Nessie better watch out.
He was talking about drowning the Ichthyosaurs, which needed the airs for living.

Torrasque said:
Brb, going to China to research into IRL Tarasque, and search every riverbed for the remains of drago-...wait, river dragons are Japanese, my bad =|
Good lucking finding the Tarrasque in China... They were a french dragon in origin...
Bah humbug, everything mythical comes from China. Besides, look at that thing, that just screams China.

Edit: Besides, the Tarasque never give up. That is hardly French-ish *badum PSHH*

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Many creatures during that period were much larger in size than the ones that live now, so it is logical that there is a chance of a larger creature that was the long grandfather of octopus. it may not have been genealogically same thing, but it could very well be a similar one (after all crocodiles have survived millions of years without genealogical changes)

Jim 028

Mar 25, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Some of you guys have a seriously under-developed sense of fun.
That and we have a healthy lack of respect for hacks trying to pass off nonsense as scientific fact without a shred of evidence to support it.

cynicalandbored

Nov 12, 2009
Hungry Donner said:
He isn't suggesting a super-intelligent cephalopod, just one acting in a similar manner to octopi today. It isn't a great leap to suggest that an octopus from 200 million years ago would be very large, we know that there were other large cephalopods at that time. It also isn't a great leap to suggest that these older octopi had similar intelligence levels and behavior to modern octopi.

Does he have hard proof? Absolutely not, there are other scenarios that can fit the little evidence he has. Dr. McMenamin probably shouldn't have made this sound so open-and-shut, and describing large ichthyosaurs as "the Triassic?s counterpart to today?s predatory giant squid-eating sperm whales" is inappropriate if there isn't evidence to back this up (which there may be, I don't know). The self-portrait bit, while intriguing, is also laid on a bit heavy.
It's exactly the self-portrait bit that I mean when I say super-intelligent. The entire thing assumes a level of consciousness that encompasses self-awareness. Very few animals can even recognise themselves in the mirror, one of the classic self-awareness tests. Get them to do a painting, or a sculpture in this case, of themselves and then tell me if you think it's likely a prehistoric octopus could have done it. Aside from that, the only animal that consciously and indisputably creates artwork in the modern world is the human, because our minds are theoretically (and seemingly in practice) the only ones complex enough for abstract thought. Modern octopi categorically do not create artworks. So by super-intelligent, I mean much more intelligent than most modern (including modern cephalopods) and all prehistoric animals, which is what would be indicated by abstract self-portrait sculpting. Sounds like pareidolia to me.

It would seem that yes, ichthyosaurs as part of the general ecosystem were vaguely analogous to squid-eating sperm whales. There is good evidence for a number of large cephalopod species in this time period, though not on the scale that's being suggested by Dr. McMenamin. And aside from that, like I mentioned in my original post, analysis of the fossils suggests multiple causes of death across the board, which wouldn't be the case if they were all killed by the Kraken. Jumping to conclusions without any evidence to back it up is very bad science, and this theory would never stand up to peer review were the good doctor to try and get it published.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Could Davy Jones be real to? >.>

Jokes aside this is quite awesome, if this is true, i wonder other Myths were actually real.

Heh, the Captcha says's it'll be in Europe xD

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
DasDestroyer said:
RELEASE THE KR-
Oh. Ninja'd, of course.
Well then I for one welcome our new Kraken ove-
WHAT? Ninja'd there too?
-_-
dam ninja'd being ninja'd
well nothing can cheer me up now
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Good. Now lets find an underwater cave with 500 ships laid to waste in its belly and the remains of a kraken in their midst.

Scorched_Cascade said:
I know I'm not the only one who thought this when reading the news title:

Fucking love that song.
well this cheered me up immensly

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Where did they find those bones then? 'Cause if we want to be picky about our mythology up here in the north (and i know i for one do) then we won't accept the americans fucking up even more of it.

First you took our gods and turned them into flamboyant knights and now you wanna take our sea monsters too? I won't have it!

As for the story itself i guess we'll just have to wait and see how it develops, but i doubt we'll be hearing any more about this anytime soon

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
H.P.Lovecraft said:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Well, I'm happy... not that suprised... but happy nonetheless...

Oh what great Cthulhu-vid so far @Scorched_Cascad
let me add another one:

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
nikki191 said:
considering the size of the things it would be hunting it makes sense they would be large enough to kill one which by todays standard would make them damn huge. considering the intelligence and problem solving skills of a modern species. while unlikely that it created a self portrait its also not impossible
I'm not exactly sure what your trying to say, but it sounds like your implying that larger size and high intelligence are directly related in cephalopod species. I've never heard of this being true. It certainly isn't true for squids and cuttlefish, and without substantial proof you can't claim that it's true for an ancient octopus either. This entire theory makes a lot of assumptions and has almost no evidence to back it up. Even if you had some kind of evidence that these octopuses existed you'd be hard pressed to prove how intelligent it was let alone that it made self-portraits.

Mar 30, 2010
So, what the upshot of this press release is is that during the Mesozoic period, known for it's megafauna and megaflora, paleontologists now believe there was a version of a creature we know today, but much bigger. Wow science, thanks for pointing that out to me. :p

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Versuvius said:
GonzoGamer said:
Versuvius said:
GonzoGamer said:
bleachigo10 said:
Someone needs to go all Jurassic Park on that thing right now. I want there to be a Kraken in the world damn it.
What's the use, the Japanese will just eat them all.
That's probably what happened to the originals: they were too delicious.
Giant deep sea cephalapods have huge amounts of ammonia in their flesh. They taste like a bottle of stale piss.
The Japanese restaurant by my office only sells the finest stale piss and ammonia infused flesh.
You have a japanese restraunt that sells colossal squid? I find that hard to believe.
Me too but that's what they say it is.
Really I think it's just old boot marinated in cat-pee... but they do it the best.