Paranautical Activity Returns to Steam

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Paranautical Activity Returns to Steam

Paranautical Activity developer Code Avarice has sold the rights to the game in order to get it back on Steam.

Remember when Paranautical Activity developer Mike Maulbeck learned it was probably not a great idea to did some rescructuring [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138134-Paranautical-Activity-Pulled-From-Steam-After-Dev-Threatens-Gabe-Newell] in order to ensure this kind of thing would never happen again, and now it has completely sold the rights to Paranautical Activity, leading to its return to Steam.

"Just sold PC rights for Paranautical Activity to @DigeratiDM," Tweeted the official Code Avarice account, adding later that "Paranautical Activity came back to steam today. Paranautical is not owned by Code Avarice anymore. Contact @DigeratiDM for all things PA."

Indeed, it seems that Paranautical Activity is now, once again, available to purchase on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/250580]. The name has also been altered to "Paranautical Activity: Deluxe Atonement Edition", which we can only assume is a reference to the whole mess that got it kicked off the platform in the first place.

So there you have it. Valve gets to keep its word in stating that it would no longer interact with Code Avarice in the future, Code Avarice gets to cut its losses and make some money by selling the rights, and gamers get to buy the game once more.

Do you think Valve acted too harshly in this situation, or was the punishment appropriate for the crime? Death threats are, after all, no laughing matter, even if it should have been obvious that Maulbeck wasn't serious.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/codeavarice/status/544930269418225667]

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Honestly, I'm just glad Value actually managed to do something proactive. With the state the rest of the Steam Store seems to be in, you wouldn't be wrong to think that they just don't care about anything that happens or who says what anymore.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
The developers getting screwed over like this isn't good. Sure, the game is out, but Valve over-reacted in never interacting with them ever again. Getting closed off from Steam...whilst not being financial suicide per say, is still a massive blow to the sales potential, doubly so for an indie team. Having to do all of these roundabout manoeuvres just to sell the game makes the punishment go too far.

Also, Valve polices this, but not the other stuff that plagues the Steam storefront because of reasons >_>

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Valve wasn't too harsh at all. There are way too many half-assed games on Steam as it is, no reason they should have to deal with an infantile manchild having a tantrum about his half-assed game.

It wasn't a loss, and I don't see any big positives to this being back on Steam except for the people who crapped out yet another mediocre 'indie' money grab.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I think it is BS the original developers had to sell the rights to the game to get it back on Steam. Valve getting angry at the developer as a whole because one guy said something stupid was extremely petty. Even after the developer made it so that it was optional to interact with that person Valve still wouldn't allow the game back on Steam.

Honestly though I feel this could have all been avoided if Valve had offered monetary compensation for all the potential sales that were lost because of how long it took the Steam storefront to say it wasn't in early access anymore.

Both sides were wrong in how they went about things.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Holding an entire company because of one guy on twitter is pretty juvenile. Seems a lot of innocent people had their livelihoods placed in jeopardy because a colleague behaved poorly on twitter. I don't really see how anyone can endorse's Valve's actions in this case. Considering they indeed to keep this blockade against Code Avarice in place simply for the actions of this one guy, I think they need to be more mindful of their status as a monopoly when it comes to PC game digital distribution.

The guy who made the "threats", is he some kind of higher up at the studio? The founder? Director? Can't say I know too much about the guy.

EDIT: Apparently he's the co-founder. I guess it's somewhat understandable, but the whole situation leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Bat Vader said:
I think it is BS the original developers had to sell the rights to the game to get it back on Steam. Valve getting angry at the developer as a whole because one guy said something stupid was extremely petty. Even after the developer made it so that it was optional to interact with that person Valve still wouldn't allow the game back on Steam.

Honestly though I feel this could have all been avoided if Valve had offered monetary compensation for all the potential sales that were lost because of how long it took the Steam storefront to say it wasn't in early access anymore.

ZiggyE said:
Holding an entire company because of one guy on twitter is pretty juvenile. Seems a lot of innocent people had their livelihoods placed in jeopardy because a colleague behaved poorly on twitter. I don't really see how anyone can endorse's Valve's actions in this case. Considering they indeed to keep this blockade against Code Avarice in place simply for the actions of this one guy, I think they need to be more mindful of their status as a monopoly when it comes to PC game digital distribution.

The guy who made the "threats", is he some kind of higher up at the studio? The founder? Director? Can't say I know too much about the guy.

EDIT: Apparently he's the co-founder. I guess it's somewhat understandable, but the whole situation leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

There are only two people working at Code Avarice and one of them made a death threat. Thats a 50% death threat making employee ratio, not entirely an attractive percentage. I think this comes under the games are not special category, in any other line of work making a death threat would result in consequences. Do you think the head of Ford will accept a death threat from one his suppliers? Why are games somehow different from that makes death threats acceptable business practice.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
That is too bad, i was waiting for my steam cards i got from the game would become super rare and would sell for a lot on the market...

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
One stupid guy and they have to go to all this trouble to get it back on Steam. Meanwhile Towns is still on steam despite the dev dumping the game in the lap of a person who will likely never finish it.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
albino boo said:
Bat Vader said:

ZiggyE said:

There are only two people working at Code Avarice and one of them made a death threat. Thats a 50% death threat making employee ratio, not entirely an attractive percentage. I think this comes under the games are not special category, in any other line of work making a death threat would result in consequences. Do you think the head of Ford will accept a death threat from one his suppliers? Why are games somehow different from that makes death threats acceptable business practice.
That's still unfair to the other guy though. It's especially unfair since someone at Valve was the one that messed up in the first place by not taking the game out of early access when it was supposed to be. I get that it was most likely a non-human error but did valve even try to compensate them for potential sales lost? Even an apology would have most likely sufficed but I don't remember seeing anyone at Valve issue one.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Bat Vader said:
albino boo said:
Bat Vader said:

ZiggyE said:

That's still unfair to the other guy though. It's especially unfair since someone at Valve was the one that messed up in the first place by not taking the game out of early access when it was supposed to be. I get that it was most likely a non-human error but did valve even try to compensate them for potential sales lost? Even an apology would have most likely sufficed but I don't remember seeing anyone at Valve issue one.
A primary developer representing the developer name made a death threat to the platform selling their game. It is perfectly 600% sensible to permanently ban that developer from Steam. If someone were to make a death threat to anyone I work with, I'd have that person and whatever company he represented permanently blacklisted. I'd even reach out to other people I know and get them blacklisted by them too.

Make this kinds of threats in a business, any threats really, even in jest, and you're committing economic suicide. You've no one to blame but yourself.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Denamic said:
Bat Vader said:
albino boo said:
Bat Vader said:

ZiggyE said:

A primary developer representing the developer name made a death threat to the platform selling their game. It is perfectly 600% sensible to permanently ban that developer from Steam. If someone were to make a death threat to anyone I work with, I'd have that person and whatever company he represented permanently blacklisted. I'd even reach out to other people I know and get them blacklisted by them too.

Make this kinds of threats in a business, any threats really, even in jest, and you're committing economic suicide. You've no one to blame but yourself.
What if they fired that person though? Again, people seem to be forgetting this entire error all started with Steam not updating the game from being out of early access. Do you think Valve should have issued monetary compensation for potential lost sales or issued an apology because of a fault with their Steam storefront?

If I made a game and I potentially lost sales due to an error that wasn't my fault I would be pretty angry. I wouldn't issue a death threat or anything like that but I would expect an apology at the least.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Bat Vader said:
Making death threats is not acceptable behaviour in any form of business. If you make death threat regardless what its about you lose. You do not have a legal leg to stand on. No company will apologies to anyone making a deathreat full stop. If you had row with a shop and you walked and made a death threat to a member of staff you get arrested for threatening behaviour and not an apology. Games are not special and the normal rules apply. If you make a deathreat you are a stupid person unable to behave in an adult fashion and untrustworthy to do business with.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
albino boo said:
Bat Vader said:
Making death threats is not acceptable behaviour in any form of business. If you make death threat regardless what its about you lose. You do not have a legal leg to stand on. No company will apologies to anyone making a deathreat full stop. If you had row with a shop and you walked and made a death threat to a member of staff you get arrested for threatening behaviour and not an apology. Games are not special and the normal rules apply. If you make a deathreat you are a stupid person unable to behave in an adult fashion and untrustworthy to do business with.
I'm not talking about the death threat. I'm asking if he had not issued the death threat should someone in charge at Valve apologized or issued monetary compensation for potential lost sales?

If I had a row with a shop I would make sure to hurt them financially. I would take my business else where, tell everyone I know to do the same, write about how terrible they are and post it online, and write to their corporate office and make sure the offending person(s) got their ass(es) fired.

I have never made a death threat so your insult calling me stupid doesn't apply. Thanks for insulting me though. I was hoping to actually have a discussion here but if you're going to insult I am done.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Just because it's a company doesn't mean it doesn't have people in it.

You don't get to make a death threat and expect that company to play nice. Valve is not under any obligation to grant their services to anyone and can withdraw services should they so please provided no contract is being broken.

If you want to do business with a company do not threaten the owner of said company with bodily harm.

One would think it to be fucking obvious.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Bat Vader said:
albino boo said:
Bat Vader said:
I'm not talking about the death threat. I'm asking if he had not issued the death threat should someone in charge at Valve apologized or issued monetary compensation for potential lost sales?

I have never made a death threat so your insult calling me stupid doesn't apply. Thanks for insulting me though. I was hoping to actually have a discussion her but if you're going to insult I am done.
Please try to read what I wrote and no point did I call you a stupid person.

you

pronoun
used to refer to the person or people that the speaker is addressing.
"are you listening?"

used to refer to any person in general.
"after a while, you get used to it"

A normal business email would have seen the matter resolved but going on to twitter and screaming like a kid means you lose.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
albino boo said:
Bat Vader said:
albino boo said:
Bat Vader said:

I have never made a death threat so your insult calling me stupid doesn't apply. Thanks for insulting me though. I was hoping to actually have a discussion her but if you're going to insult I am done.

you

pronoun
"are you listening?"

A normal business email would have seen the matter resolved but going on to twitter and screaming like a kid means you lose.
I did read what you wrote and I am sorry I misinterpreted it. That doesn't give you the right to patronize me and use ad-hominems to attack me. How about you apologize as well and we wipe the slate clean. I know what YOU means.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Bat Vader said:
albino boo said:
Bat Vader said:
albino boo said:
Bat Vader said:

you

pronoun
"are you listening?"

I did read what you wrote and I am sorry I misinterpreted it. That doesn't give you the right to patronize me and use ad-hominems to attack me. How about you apologize as well and we wipe the slate clean. I know what YOU means.
No you clearly don't. If i was going to make an ad hominem attack on point out that its extremely narcissistic to assume that everyone to talking about you personally. I will not apologize because I have done nothing to warrant needing to make an apology.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
First of all, I dont think that it matters that it was a death threat or not, I mean, in no fucking way was that threat something to take serious, what matters here is that the dev went full retard against Valve and Valve made him fuck off, honestly I dont mind that.