Parents Angry Over Educational Videogame

Smits090

Aug 13, 2009
Some peoples parents, they just don't understand the fragile workings of that which teachers do.

I myself having had the chance to grow up on some of set educational videogames in school, can agree that, he they work!
The kids do get a feeling for what they are trying to achieve, so yay to educational videogames in school. Different kids learn at different paces, the fact that this parent thinks it will add to an addiction to videogames is just odd.
If you don't want your kid playing video games at home ... don't let him, but if the teachers at school are trying the medium for the benefit of the child in question ... why stop them?

Krelias

Apr 17, 2009
Videogames and interactivity in general are the future of education and a couple of repressed old farts can do nothing about it. But it's still infuriating too see so much ignorance out there. I know it's not nice to say it but in an era when we stand to gain so much from progress brought on by technology, old people's opinions shouldn't matter as much as they do to mainstream media. There should be an organized effort to marginalise theres kinds of opinions.

Erm....

Great,now I sound like a fanatic, man ignorant old people really push my buttons.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
MisterColeman said:
I'm a little confused is he saying Grand Theft Auto is the educational game? In which case I kinda understand.
Jack Thompson has nothing to do with the article, they're pointing out him and that woman look alike and are just as stupid.

Dapsen

Nov 9, 2008
In Soviet Russia, Educational game is aggravated over stupid parents! JK.

I think the parents who find this negative towards their kids education, are a bunch of close minded idiots, really.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
But some parents aren't as enthusiastic about the situation as Bodman. "We are feeding the addiction of these children to videogames," said parent Marlene Perrotte. She accused the game of being too violent for a school environment, claiming that the action was what the kids liked about it, not its educational value. "They were all excited... because of the violence," she added.
Would be good if we actually had a description of the game rather than just "omg some dood said games are bad".
Pretty one sided article, if I'm being totally honest.

Which is mostly why the comments are
"How dumb can parents get" blah blah, Irony; it strikes.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
I agree with her.

Math Blaster is pretty violent. I still have nightmares from that game

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
These guys are idiots. First they're all like "We want educational games!", now they're all like, "Boo! Hiss! We don't want any games in general now!"

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
That settles it. Parents WILL complain about any video game they can find, no exceptions.

Don't worry guys, wait 10-20 years and most of the haters will either be dead or too old to do anything about anything.

Feb 13, 2008
Let's see what we can do to make this story better...

Andy Chalk said:
Parents Angry...snip...
Yep, that covers the main points succinctly.

I'm sure we can add "Parents are worried", "Parents heard bad things", "Kids were excited", "End of civilization", "Far cry from the hoops we had to play with" and other things, but the basic thing is that parents are angry about people wanting to help their kids.

Perhaps not angry enough to actually help their kids learn maths the old fashioned way?

Feb 13, 2008
Wizzie said:
Would be good if we actually had a description of the game rather than just "omg some dood said games are bad".
There is a video of it on the link Andy gave, it looks like a Crysis Clone where they hunt numbers instead of soldiers.

IridRadiant

May 31, 2008
Please note that the picture also has the parents holding up a non-educational game noted for questionable morals, rather than the case to the mathematical game in question. When will idiots learn to give at least some merit to the opinions of professional teachers?

Coldman42

Nov 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We are feeding the addiction of these children to videogames,"
No, they are USING the addiction to videogames to accomplish the goal of teaching children math, tricking them into learning. Same thing happened with me and DnD, counting all those dice dots and eventually memorizing the number combos.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
If I had a video game that taught me math in school, I might actually know math now.