Parents Television Council Attacks Videogame Retailers

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Shycte said:
dogstile said:
Shycte said:
dogstile said:
Shycte said:
Well, 80 % success is not really that great. Sure, it's easy to think it is not a big deal. But! A minor should not be able to buy a M rated game without the parents approval. Just like at the movies.
Psh, i'm 17 and i'm never asked for ID when I go see an 18 rated film or try to buy alcohol. Literally never. I always get asked at game.
We can not allow others mistakes does not justifice ours.
So you're taking an actual experience counter to your movies doing astoundingly well and replying with a cryptic phrase?
Okay, let me say it so you understand.

Just because they are doing wrong, and that our statistic is better than theirs, it doesn't mean that our statics are okay. We can not settle with "Well, we are better than them atleast".
See, much less cryptic, now I can form an actual response! ^_^

Anyway, I prefer to think of it more in a positive light. While its not good, no system is perfect. There is always going to be the kid who doesn't get ID'd because that happens, human error. (I realise this blows my movie example out of the water, but that was countering your "like the movies" point, which i've had a different experience with than you)

Even then I don't have a problem with that, i'm more annoyed at them blowing it out of proportion because it agrees with them.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
What's that? People flaming something they don't quite understand? Quick! Phone the Logic Police!
Wait, are you saying they have at least some understanding of what they fear? That doesn't seem to be the case.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
KaosuHamoni said:
paragon1 said:
KaosuHamoni said:
Oh for fuck sake. When will these braindead fools stop trying to destroy a medium that they don't fully understand.

- Edit -

Wait a minute... did I read that right? The "Horrors of videogames"? I think that this proves that what we have been saying all along is true. They have absolutely no comprehension of the medium, and, now that people are starting to see them for what they are, they are so desperate to find some shred of indecency in the industry. Its pathetic really, and I pity them.
I don't. People like that are the bane of a freethinking society, and we'd all be better off without them.
Why not? They are obviously so closed-minded that they're head is like Fort Knox when other people opinions are concerned. I have met people like this, and argued with them to the point of rage, and, in the long term I have ended up feeling so sorry for them. They don't have the option to experience some of life's greatest things, just because they have formed a baseless opinion on it, and won't let anyone sway them on it. Its upsetting that people are even like this, and I ignore they're opinions. But at the same time yes, they are the scourge of the freethinking society, and yet, they should be avoided like the plague. But at they same time, isn't the point of the freethinking society that everyone is allowed they're own opinion, including them? I feel pity for them because they must be so alone, due to the fact that they shut everyone else's thoughts and emotions out and have almost no sense of empathy, and its upsetting. You know, I once asked a guy in class, who is the better musician, Hendrix or Chopin, and do you know what he said? He said Hendrix. That is how shut-off these people can be. Its almost like a disease. The same guy also said that benefits should be scrapped altogether, just because some filth decide to scrounge off it for some extra gadget money. Its things like that which make me rage and feel for them at the same time. He's an intelligent person, as far as academics are concerned, straight-A student, but that's not the only form of intelligence now is it?
You make a lot of really good points. I really should feel sorry for these sorts of people. And I would, if not for one small problem. They're allowed to vote, and that means they have political power (in America, at least). That makes me... somewhat uncomfortable. So you see, I can't really afford to pity them.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
paragon1 said:
KaosuHamoni said:
paragon1 said:
KaosuHamoni said:
Oh for fuck sake. When will these braindead fools stop trying to destroy a medium that they don't fully understand.

- Edit -

Wait a minute... did I read that right? The "Horrors of videogames"? I think that this proves that what we have been saying all along is true. They have absolutely no comprehension of the medium, and, now that people are starting to see them for what they are, they are so desperate to find some shred of indecency in the industry. Its pathetic really, and I pity them.
I don't. People like that are the bane of a freethinking society, and we'd all be better off without them.
Why not? They are obviously so closed-minded that they're head is like Fort Knox when other people opinions are concerned. I have met people like this, and argued with them to the point of rage, and, in the long term I have ended up feeling so sorry for them. They don't have the option to experience some of life's greatest things, just because they have formed a baseless opinion on it, and won't let anyone sway them on it. Its upsetting that people are even like this, and I ignore they're opinions. But at the same time yes, they are the scourge of the freethinking society, and yet, they should be avoided like the plague. But at they same time, isn't the point of the freethinking society that everyone is allowed they're own opinion, including them? I feel pity for them because they must be so alone, due to the fact that they shut everyone else's thoughts and emotions out and have almost no sense of empathy, and its upsetting. You know, I once asked a guy in class, who is the better musician, Hendrix or Chopin, and do you know what he said? He said Hendrix. That is how shut-off these people can be. Its almost like a disease. The same guy also said that benefits should be scrapped altogether, just because some filth decide to scrounge off it for some extra gadget money. Its things like that which make me rage and feel for them at the same time. He's an intelligent person, as far as academics are concerned, straight-A student, but that's not the only form of intelligence now is it?
You make a lot of really good points. I really should feel sorry for these sorts of people. And I would, if not for one small problem. They're allowed to vote, and that means they have political power (in America, at least). That makes me... somewhat uncomfortable. So you see, I can't really afford to pity them.
I can understand that. Why do you think we have the fucking Conservatives in power right now? =.=

- Edit -

In the UK that is. =P

Dr. Octogonopus

Aug 31, 2010
I have never understood these anti-gaming parents. I mean really, youre upset because gamestop sold your 16-year-old son a M-rated game? Well guess what? Your his parent, you have the authority to stop him from playing that game. Why are they blaming other people for failing to do a job that is supposed to be the parents responsibilities?