PAX 2011: Borderlands 2 Is Bigger, Better, and Bad-ass-ier

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I heard that they were limiting the whole random guns aspect, which for me, is the only reason I'll play a Borderlands game.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
That's pretty much all I wanted to hear, I'm so excited I might even be persuaded to pre-order this.

Brand new characters, new in depth story, better quest system, Colour!, and most importantly in my opinion, a great! sense of humour!

Don't screw this up Gearbox.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Hopefully it has more enemies than the first game. I never got even half way through the second area before I got so bored of the game that I can't even look at the case without wanting to cut my own head off with a spoon. I just got so sick of shooting the same stupid little things over and over and over.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I hope they make the game less boring by having more than 5 enemies. Something on the order of, say, 50 would be a lot better.

Also, I really hated claptrap. No more claptrap please.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Borderlands wasn't what I had expected at all*, but was still fun...

...for about 2 hours, after which it became boring. The art design is pretty brilliant, but the gameplay was offensively bad. If the sequel is more RPG, less railroad shoot 'em up, I'd be happy.

*was hoping for a Fallout 3 but with gunplay as the dominant combat focus + more GTAish attitude

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Greg Tito said:
especially considering the characteristic art style was an 11th hour change [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99106-How-Borderlands-Went-From-Brown-to-Brilliant]
From Brown to Brilliant? Because the cell shading made it less brown and monotous? Bwahahahaha!

Anyway, the succes of Borderlands kind of depresses me. The fact that gamers are willing to look over a bland art style, awful AI, NPC's that were non-characters, a bad ending, extremely little variation overall, all that and more for the sake of Skinner Box-style loot spam. *deep sigh*

Ah well, at least the sequel seems to fix at least a few of those things
Sounds like someone was an Extra Credits fan. Anyway, I am preordering this as soon as it comes onto Steam.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Triforceformer said:
Sounds like someone was an Extra Credits fan. Anyway, I am preordering this as soon as it comes onto Steam.
I am, but that has nothing to do with it. I've been playing games long before Extra Credits talked about it.

It's not so much the mechanics themselves, as it's possible to build a good game around them, but it's the fact those mechanics still make it popular despite the game having a lot of major shortcomings. And with major I mean technical flaws bad enough to just make it a bad game.