PAX 2011: Mass Effect 3 Hands On

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Mezmer said:
Is it wrong the only thing I can think of after reading this article is: Where's the fucking screenshot of the female Krogan?
I actually saw this video on SpikeTV back at E3. It is the same demo, so I'm guessing they just got exclusive rights and now BioWare is letting other people play it at PAX. You don't actually get to see the female Krogan, but rather what she's wearing. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4TA1W4UslA

As you can see, she's wearing so much stuff that it's really hard to see what she looks like.

On Topic: Yay! More info about Mass Effect 3. Not sure if that Turian is Garrus--looks different--but could the author really have made that big of a mistake? Perhaps Garrus changed his appearance? Or the character never talked, so the author just assumed it was Garrus?

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Theminimanx said:
Clonekiller said:
Theminimanx said:
Wait, Mordin found a cure for the genophage and he actually wants to use it? Isn't this a massive retcon from his idea's in ME2, where he thought the genophage wasn't exactly good, but necessary regardless?

And yet another thing to add to my "why not to buy ME3" list.

P.S. Just to clarify, it isn't Mordin trying to cure the genophage that pisses me of, it's the fact that this is a retcon of Mordin's entire moral dilemma in his loyalty mission.
I don't know how many times you've played through ME2, but you can convince Mordin that the genophage is wrong, and that he should try and cure it. Naturally he decides to put if off till later, seeing as how the collectors are the problem at hand, but it's pretty easy to assume that Mordin would continue the cure research after the suicide mission.

Safice to say, I would guess this whole sequence is one of those things that will change based on your imported save. However, this is all speculation at this point since all that BioWare appears to be working on at the moment are the graphics and combat which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Why? Because it means that they are getting the big stuff over with first, leaving themselves an odd 6 months or so to work on the RPG elements. And hey, since it's BioWare and Casey Hudson, I'm guessing they wont disappoint within the 6 months they still have.
Oh, I must've forgotten about that. That said, I assume that the demo version of the mission is also the one that you get if you don't import a save file. So I still find it odd that the "standard" (uninfluenced by Shepard) version of Mordin has a different view on the genophage than Mordin as he started out in ME2.

Also, creating the rpg elements might force the desingers to make changes to missions in order to make sure it works for every character, which means that some work you did on the level will go to waste. Said work will be a lot more if the graphics have already been optimized.
True, level work can't be completely finished before the script is done. However, getting the big stuff out of the way at the beginning seems like a smart move. It's like building your sets before starting production on a play. It's more of an up-front investment, but it leaves that much more time to focus on characters, costuming, staging and the like.

Also, it has been confirmed that no import files will result in a "last time on Mass Effect" intro comic, that will allow you to make the big game-changer choices much like ME2 on the PS3.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Clonekiller said:
Theminimanx said:
Clonekiller said:
Theminimanx said:
Wait, Mordin found a cure for the genophage and he actually wants to use it? Isn't this a massive retcon from his idea's in ME2, where he thought the genophage wasn't exactly good, but necessary regardless?

P.S. Just to clarify, it isn't Mordin trying to cure the genophage that pisses me of, it's the fact that this is a retcon of Mordin's entire moral dilemma in his loyalty mission.
I don't know how many times you've played through ME2, but you can convince Mordin that the genophage is wrong, and that he should try and cure it. Naturally he decides to put if off till later, seeing as how the collectors are the problem at hand, but it's pretty easy to assume that Mordin would continue the cure research after the suicide mission.

Safice to say, I would guess this whole sequence is one of those things that will change based on your imported save. However, this is all speculation at this point since all that BioWare appears to be working on at the moment are the graphics and combat which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Why? Because it means that they are getting the big stuff over with first, leaving themselves an odd 6 months or so to work on the RPG elements. And hey, since it's BioWare and Casey Hudson, I'm guessing they wont disappoint within the 6 months they still have.
Oh, I must've forgotten about that. That said, I assume that the demo version of the mission is also the one that you get if you don't import a save file. So I still find it odd that the "standard" (uninfluenced by Shepard) version of Mordin has a different view on the genophage than Mordin as he started out in ME2.

Also, creating the rpg elements might force the desingers to make changes to missions in order to make sure it works for every character, which means that some work you did on the level will go to waste. Said work will be a lot more if the graphics have already been optimized.
True, level work can't be completely finished before the script is done. However, getting the big stuff out of the way at the beginning seems like a smart move. It's like building your sets before starting production on a play. It's more of an up-front investment, but it leaves that much more time to focus on characters, costuming, staging and the like.

Also, it has been confirmed that no import files will result in a "last time on Mass Effect" intro comic, that will allow you to make the big game-changer choices much like ME2 on the PS3.
Unfortunately, I doubt "did you convince Mordin the genophage is a bad idea in one of the side mission" is going to come up in the comic. Because lets be honest, the loyalty missions have zero impact on the overall plot of ME2, so it's essentially a side mission.

EDIT: I have been convinced to wait and see until release. Read the two comments below for an explanation.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Theminimanx said:
The subject gameplay demo is not the "unimported" version. The demo contains reference to Wrex still being alive. In a game with a non-imported Shepard, Wrex is dead.

Also, during his loyalty mission, Mordin frequently expresses regret at what he did. He also acknowledges that his rationalizations are, well... just that. Him trying to cure the genophage in ME3 is in no way a contradiction of his character in ME2. Rather, it is the continuation of his character development.

Huh. Just thought of something. Story wise, curing the genophage is a pretty big deal. I wonder what happens in ME3 if you import a save where Mordin destroyed the cure research or died at the end.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Zhukov said:
Theminimanx said:
The subject gameplay demo is not the "unimported" version. The demo contains reference to Wrex still being alive. In a game with a non-imported Shepard, Wrex is dead.

Also, during his loyalty mission, Mordin frequently expresses regret at what he did. He also acknowledges that his rationalizations are, well... just that. Him trying to cure the genophage in ME3 is in no way a contradiction of his character in ME2. Rather, it is the continuation of his character development.

Huh. Just thought of something. Story wise, curing the genophage is a pretty big deal. I wonder what happens in ME3 if you import a save where Mordin destroyed the cure research or died at the end.
Hmm good point didn't think about that. All right, you have me convinced, I'll just wait and see until I can import my own file to ME3.

Magnesium360

FDA Approved!
Mar 9, 2010
"Mordin Solus has found a cure for the genophage"

Doesn't Mordin try to blow out some Salarian's brains for doing that in his loyalty mission in ME2?

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Theminimanx said:
vansau said:
PAX 2011: Mass Effect 3 Hands On

The set-up is that Mordin Solus has found a cure for the genophage that rendered nearly all the females of the Krogan race sterile.

I'm personally guessing it's a mission only available if Mordin survives ME2 and you took Paragon conversation options on his loyalty mission, such as keeping Maelon's cure data. Paragon Shepard typically points out to Mordin how the genophage has caused Krogan society to regress and curing the genophage may bring it back to a better state as Wrex is trying to do and in the process, Mordin explains how he tries to justify that the work he did was neccessary but that he still feels terrible about it.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
A friend asked me yesterday who would win in a fight, Adam Jensen or Commander Shepard. He made that point that while Adam almost died and came back Shepard did die and comeback. To this I responded, "Yes, but can he jump?"

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Zhukov said:
Theminimanx said:

Well, Casey Hudson has talked a lot about "wildly different" situations based on your choices in the previous two games, and since I view him as the Peter Jackson of RPGs, I'm pretty sure we can expect some pretty different stuff.

P.S. FWI, Casey Hudson was the game director for Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire as well as ME 1&2, all of which are pretty darn good games.

Mar 26, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Who's the Turian in Picture 3? It can't be Garrus.
Similar blue facial markings to Garrus, but Garrus has part of his face patched up after it was blown off. I don't know if he's undergone cosmetic surgery in ME3. The Turian in that picture is missing the targeting visor but it's entirely possible that Garrus decided to ditch it after he made peace with Sidonis (one way or the other) as it had the names of his fallen squad-mates etched into it (apparently).

Nackl of Gilmed

Sep 13, 2010
zeda12123 said:
Mezmer said:
Is it wrong the only thing I can think of after reading this article is: Where's the fucking screenshot of the female Krogan?
Same here, actually. I really wanted to see a female krogan.
There's one in the Tuchanka hub in ME2. Upstairs in the building with the tribal guy who tells you how to do Grunt's loyalty mission, I think. She doesn't look that different to the males.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, on-topic: I hadn't heard this about Mordin attempting to cure the genophage before now. That's very interesting. The thing is, I always just made the choices that felt right to me, which resulted in me being about 75% Paragon, and one of the things I couldn't bring myself to go full-on noble good guy about was the genophage. I knew it was hurting the Krogan, but at the same time kind of saw the logic behind keeping it in place. Now this game is going to make me personally decide whether to cure them or not. Damn you, awesome series!

0over0

Dec 30, 2006
"...things felt INCREDIBLY frantic; this was a little unexpected, as the squad actually started out at INCREDIBLY high levels with full access to their powers.

The combat itself felt INCREDIBLY satisfying,..."

Come on, you can do better than that!

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
Disaster Button said:
Mortuorum said:
kajinking said:
Mordin! He is back!!!!
Assuming, presumably, that he survived Mass Effect 2. It didn't happen on any of my playthroughs, but I think it was possilble for him to die on the final ME2 mission.
It is possible, he died on my first playthrough. He was the only one sadly. I was wondering how this would affect me.
If it's anything like the way they treated Dead Wrex in ME1->ME2, I'll tip you're helping another member of the STG to complete the mission.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
Zhukov said:
Besides, even in that one short article you learned that:
a) We get to go to the Salarian homeworld.
b) Garrus and Liara are back as squad members.
c) Mordin is actively working to cure the genophage.

That last one is particular is kind of a big deal story-wise. Although, granted, anyone who has been following the development probably knew most of that already.
This is actually the closest thing to news I have seen in several releases. Enough plot detail to hint at the direction of the story (fertile krogans- double edged sword?), focus on the combat which we knew we were getting anyway. All my favourites are there, the combat looks like a tweak on the combat I enjoyed from the last game, I'm happy.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
To me, it looks like Executor Palin, the C-SEC guy from the first game. Or it could be Lorik Qu'in, from Noveria. Or it could be a new guy, we'll see.
Nikolaz72 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Council members?
Nah, facepaint is wrong for the Turian Counselor, and the Asari looks to be Liara.
you know your Turian's, tip of the hat to you!

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
ACK...please tell me this is not just going to be a hard game...

please tell me this is not just going to be a hard game....

FUCK I KNOW THIS IS JUST GONNA BE A HARD GAME!

I just want to finish the damn story, I don't want to play the shooter, survive the swarms with a time limit game...

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
I'm actually kind of curious about that Turian, I looked up all the major Turians that have appeared in the games so far and his color/face paint doesn't match anyone, I can't think of any important Turians in the book either that aren't dead.

Also, It could never be Palin because he was killed by Geth in the battle of the Citadel.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I nearly managed to like ME2 on my most recent playthrough. The trick was to stop playing the character I wanted to play (because the dialogue options and ridiculous plot points get betraying me) and started playing the character they wanted me to play (there are actually very few differences between Paragon and Renegade, they often seem to swap choices and actually share exactly the same dialogue too often)

but I was two missions before the end and I got tired of all the constant combat and meaningless "if you've been evil enough you can say this and win, or if you've made genuine decisions you can't say it and have to lose something" dialogue bits and the general inability to hold a conversation ala KotoR and instead just pumping info and then making one of two choices where you don't even really know what you're choosing.

So all the combat focus really isn't for me. I want to play an RPG darn it!

It even annoys me that Cerberus are the bad guys now. After spending a whole game trying to not work for them and not being allowed to whilst the came tries to convince me that they're just trying to achieve a good goal through any means necessary suddenly it's all "haha just joking they're bad lol, doesn't this make ME2 feel even more pointless!!!"

EDIT: Even the whole genophage thing!! Mission after dialogue after dialogue it was all about how the genophage was a genuinely hard choice with no clear answer and Mordin constantly justifies his actions and now again it's all j/ks the genophage is evil. I hope the Krogan destroy the entire frickin' Mass Effect universe

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
BrotherRool said:
It even annoys me that Cerberus are the bad guys now. After spending a whole game trying to not work for them and not being allowed to whilst the came tries to convince me that they're just trying to achieve a good goal through any means necessary suddenly it's all "haha just joking they're bad lol, doesn't this make ME2 feel even more pointless!!!"

EDIT: Even the whole genophage thing!! Mission after dialogue after dialogue it was all about how the genophage was a genuinely hard choice with no clear answer and Mordin constantly justifies his actions and now again it's all j/ks the genophage is evil. I hope the Krogan destroy the entire frickin' Mass Effect universe
1) Even when you were working with Cerberus, it was pretty clear that TIM wasn't going to be much of an ally, and especially not for the Reaper invasion. He tosses human lives away like he's playing an RTS, even though he fights for all that is good for humanity. He's much worse than Renegade Shepard could ever dream of being, and any Shepard wasn't going to have much luck uniting the galaxy to fight the Reapers by working with a guy like TIM. And ultimately, given TIM's history in the comics and what we've seen of him in the books, it's likely this was something that we should have seen coming from a mile away.

2) Mordin can change in the span of the 6 months or however long it is since he leaves the SR2 before you find him on the Salarian world again. Maybe you convinced him to work on the genophage for moral reasons, or maybe he saw the practical application of allowing Krogan numbers to swell and fight back the Reapers. Either one easily explains why Mordin suddenly wants to work on a Genophage cure.